2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You are not wrong but here's the thing. He has like 5 bites at the apple every year because of all the McD's all-americans he's coached. I don't know his batting average but it's basically a numbers game. How many top McD's all americans has Cal coached at Kentucky compared to schools like UConn or any other program? Duke is onlly other program that comes close in last 15 years. Of course you are going to have a bunch of guys doing well in the NBA if you have multiple top10 guys enter your program for a 7 month cup of coffee every year. Where he has produced is recruiting and World Wide Wes and Kentucky was a seductive sales pitch. Once the pipeline started and the lottery picks piled up, it basically sold itself until the losses piled up and the landscaped changed. If any decent coach can handpick multiple top 10 players every year they are going to be able to point to their NBA "success." Cal isn't special. He was just in an advatageous situation for years.
I agree but UNC and Kansas have the same advantages recruiting wise and don’t come close.

UNC hasn’t even had an All Star since Vince Carter.

Anyways, it looks like Maleek also cares about winning though!

Reaction Score
I agree but UNC and Kansas have the same advantages recruiting wise and don’t come close.

UNC hasn’t even had an All Star since Vince Carter.

Anyways, it looks like Maleek also cares about winning though!
I am far too lazy and don't have the time to check, but I'm pretty sure UNC and Kansas had far less McD's all-americans than Kentucky during the years of Cal's tenure.

Here is hoping Maleek eventually picks UConn!

Reaction Score
I am far too lazy and don't have the time to check, but I'm pretty sure UNC and Kansas had far less McD's all-americans than Kentucky during the years of Cal's tenure.

Those programs and head coaches also appeared to prioritize winning more than Kentucky did, at least until 2024.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

They’ve had enough to produce somebody in the last 20 years outside of Joel Embiid combined! Like if it was that easy those guys can produce somebody.

Reaction Score
They’ve had enough to produce somebody in the last 20 years outside of Joel Embiid combined! Like if it was that easy those guys can produce somebody.
Fair about UNC and Kansas. They probably would have had more though if they had the pick of the litter of the very top players and the sheer numbers Kentucky and Cal had. That's pretty much the whole point up for debate. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare them to Duke not UNC and Kansas.

Reaction Score
Fair about UNC and Kansas. They probably would have had more though if they had the pick of the litter of the very top players and the sheer numbers Kentucky and Cal had. That's pretty much the whole point up for debate. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare them to Duke not UNC and Kansas.

Current "Good" (Personal Choice) Players in the NBA by Other Blue Bloods.

Kansas
Joel Embiid
Andrew Wiggins
Kelly Oubre
Gradey Dick

UNC
Cole Anthony
Harrison Barnes
Cam Johnson
Coby White
Walker Kessler

Duke
Grayson Allen
Marvin Bagley
Paolo Banchero
RJ Barrett
Brandon Ingram
Kyrie Irving
Jalen Johnson
Jayson Tatum
Gary Trent Jr
Dereck Lively
Mark Williams
Zion Williamson

UK
Bam Adebayo
Devin Booker
ANthony Davis
De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Tyler Hero
Keldon Johnson
Tyrese Maxey
Malik Monk
Jamal Murray
Immanuel Quicley
Julius Randle
Shaedon Sharpe
KAT
PJ Washington

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean bruh, look at UNC’s list of all-time recruits.

Maybe my friendships with UNC fans makes me bias (cause we talk a lot of smack) but that’s A LOT of guys who had chances to do what UK players do and didn’t.

But yea, to your point Kentucky’s list is even more insane but they could still produce SOMEBODY.

Reaction Score
Current "Good" (Personal Choice) Players in the NBA by Other Blue Bloods.

Kansas
Joel Embiid
Andrew Wiggins
Kelly Oubre
Gradey Dick

UNC
Cole Anthony
Harrison Barnes
Cam Johnson
Coby White
Walker Kessler

Duke
Grayson Allen
Marvin Bagley
Paolo Banchero
RJ Barrett
Brandon Ingram
Kyrie Irving
Jalen Johnson
Jayson Tatum
Gary Trent Jr
Dereck Lively
Mark Williams
Zion Williamson

UK
Bam Adebayo
Devin Booker
ANthony Davis
De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Tyler Hero
Keldon Johnson
Tyrese Maxey
Malik Monk
Jamal Murray
Immanuel Quicley
Julius Randle
Shaedon Sharpe
KAT
PJ Washington
And that ratios probably pretty correctly the correlation between the number of MCD's/top rated players and the # of solid NBA players for each program. These players are not lottery picks and NBA players cuz they played one year for Cal. He just landed tons(the most) of the highest rated players. Some could have eaten doritos on the couch for a year and had NBA success.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I just want a wink
Geelong Cats Flirt GIF by NAB

Reaction Score
And that ratios probably pretty correctly the correlation between the number of MCD's/top rated players and the # of solid NBA players for each program. These players are not lottery picks and NBA players cuz they played one year for Cal. He just landed tons(the most) of the highest rated players. Some could have eaten doritos on the couch for a year and had NBA success.
No, UNC recruits at a very high level, they have underperformed.

Kansas to a lesser degree, but they have underperformed too.

Reaction Score
I mean bruh, look at UNC’s list of all-time recruits.

Maybe my friendships with UNC fans makes me bias (cause we talk a lot of smack) but that’s A LOT of guys who had chances to do what UK players do and didn’t.

But yea, to your point Kentucky’s list is even more insane but they could still produce SOMEBODY.
I think where we disagree is I don't think 7 months(1 season) with Cal means he "produced" these players. They were always going to be good. Give him credit for choosing the correct players to come for a year but he had his pick of the litter more times than not ahead of other programs. If he is so great at developing and he had all this talent then why didn't he win more? Or...maybe he wasn't all that great outside of collecting the highest rated players and when they get drafted high based on their long range potential, he sells himself as a deliverer of dreams and repeats the same process year after year. I think when Cal was younger he was a decent coach. That was a long time ago.

Reaction Score
No, UNC recruits at a very high level, they have underperformed.

Kansas to a lesser degree, but they have underperformed too.
Not like UK during Cal's tenure. They recruited at a high level, just not the same level.

Reaction Score
Calipari's only successful season as a coach was 1996. Camby was bought and pd for, but the rest of the players played far better than they did when recruited.

Every other year he was little more than a used car salesman who more often than not sold at a discount.
shaquille-o-neal-shaq.gif

can't believe I have to take the position of "defending" Calipari but some of the stuff you guys come up with...

Reaction Score

You are right. It’s Duke and UK, a huge gap, and then the rest when it comes to 5 stars. They had the #3, 4 and 6 recruits last year. 2 are in college and the other will go 2nd round. The other 7 top recruits are locks to go in the 1st. Basically, the only bad outcomes were the kids who chose Cal. One lazy day I am going to break down how Cal recruits have done compared to comparable 5 stars. It’s easy to produce the most pros when you get 5x more 5 stars than your peers. And Cal is an elite used car salesman.

Edit. The Indiana kid is #10 so the other 6 are locks.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

can't believe I have to take the position of "defending" Calipari but some of the stuff you guys come up with...
my thoughts precisely. Would love if we can just make fun of the fact he can’t win anything despite all the talent he collects and leave it at that.

Like man how you have 2 future all stars on your team and not make a sweet 16? You’re a terrible in game coach.

Jimmy Fallon Shame GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think where we disagree is I don't think 7 months(1 season) with Cal means he "produced" these players. They were always going to be good. Give him credit for choosing the correct players to come for a year but he had his pick of the litter more times than not ahead of other programs. If he is so great at developing and he had all this talent then why didn't he win more? Or...maybe he wasn't all that great outside of collecting the highest rated players and when they get drafted high based on their long range potential, he sells himself as a deliverer of dreams and repeats the same process year after year. I think when Cal was younger he was a decent coach. That was a long time ago.
By itself I’d agree. But the other option is doing the UNC development plan where those same 5* guys stay with you for 3 years, help you win an NC because a 5* guy somehow didn’t become NBA ready in all that time, then go to the NBA to flameout anyways.

Cal getting 5* guys consistently ready to make an impact in the NBA after a year is a good thing. Not being able to win shows how bad of an in-game coach he is, but his guys that make it are consistently ready.
You are right. It’s Duke and UK, a huge gap, and then the rest when it comes to 5 stars. They had the #3, 4 and 6 recruits last year. 2 are in college and the other will go 2nd round. The other 7 top recruits are locks to go in the 1st. Basically, the only bad outcomes were the kids who chose Cal. One lazy day I am going to break down how Cal recruits have done compared to comparable 5 stars. It’s easy to produce the most pros when you get 5x more 5 stars than your peers. And Cal is an elite used car salesman.

Edit. The Indiana kid is #10 so the other 6 are locks.
So does Cal get credit for making the 78th player and the guy who wasn’t top 10 into top 10 picks? Especially if they do well?

That’s the other thing I’d like to see is the success rate of guys who get drafted in comparison to other schools.

It’s one thing to get drafted. Another to actually make an impact on the next level.

Reaction Score
Not getting too excited yet… he could just be tired coming off top 100 camp and our visit. Let’s make sure he doesn’t reschedule first.
Not too excited, but I have moved from "a commitment isn't happening any time soon" to a "well, the OV/commitment schedule would have him committing sometime from Wednesday to Friday, so maybe?"

Reaction Score

Yeah exactly. I did a double take on that statement, too. I am not a Calipari hater or a Calipari fan-I am indifferent to him.

Reaction Score
By itself I’d agree. But the other option is doing the UNC development plan where those same 5* guys stay with you for 3 years, help you win an NC because a 5* guy somehow didn’t become NBA ready in all that time, then go to the NBA to flameout anyways.

Cal getting 5* guys consistently ready to make an impact in the NBA after a year is a good thing. Not being able to win shows how bad of an in-game coach he is, but his guys that make it are consistently ready.

So does Cal get credit for making the 78th player and the guy who wasn’t top 10 into top 10 picks? Especially if they do well?

That’s the other thing I’d like to see is the success rate of guys who get drafted in comparison to other schools.

It’s one thing to get drafted. Another to actually make an impact on the next level.
Think we just gotta agree to disagree and part ways. I respect your opinion though. You keep bringing up UNC. I don't care about them and they are irrelevant to what I'm arguing. Maybe we are talking about two different but similar things. I just don't think 1 season with Cal made these players NBA lottery picks and it definitely didn't make them excellent NBA players. Most were already crazy talented with massive futures. Some guys with incredible upside potential but a little raw. As we know, NBA teams draft on potential and youth. Guys like SGA and Maxey exploded after a few years in the NBA. That's a credit to their hard work, natural athletic ability, skill, age/experience, and NBA development. Cal got crazy talent. Being at Kentucky, the college landscape at the time, World Wide Wes, and Cal and his assistants sales and marketing skills all made Cal maybe the most effective recruiting force the modern game has known. The byproduct of that was top 10 talent one and dones hitting the draft lottery every year.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Cal is a competent coach. He didn't improve his players extraordinarily the way Jim Calhoun improved his, and Dan Hurley has been improving his, but he developed them as well as most other coaches were developing theirs. How much of that is due to him and how much due to all the support Kentucky has historically given players, including regular feedback from NBA scouts and a very well-funded program generally, is unclear, but Cal didn't fail his players at UMass or Memphis so he's probably as capable as most of the coaches he competes with.

I do think the game may be passing him by, or he may be too old for it now. He's not as competitive as he used to be.

Reaction Score

Sure. I don’t think there are too many. The Liggins/Morris/Jorts era was probably most impressive in that regard. Herro is a good one but pretty clear he was underrated. I’m not giving him credit for poorly utilizing IQ and Maxey or under utilizing Book. Sharpe, lol. Newsflash, when you sign top 10 kids, they turn out good (except for the UK trio last year).

Reaction Score
That is all true, and it is a great sales pitch. When you bring in five 5* guys a year you are going to have NBA success. And Cal is a very good coach. Not the best but very good. Recruiting at Arkansas won't be as easy as KY.
In the NIL era recruiting to Ark will be easier than KY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1