2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

awy

Reaction Score
it's fine to discuss the bag situation just as a part of roster management. the reality of the industry is that elite talent will get paid. everyone understands that this kind of discussion does not impugn a kid's character or drive, as the staff identify players based on cultural fit and competitiveness. still, given a finite budget consideration of cap efficiency would enter the picture if you want to get the most impact from the resource constraints. people are reacting too sensitively to this sort of discussion.

Reaction Score
I don't mind the money conversation. But when people just start questioning a kids character with no evidence to back it up that's when it becomes a sensitive topic. If people just keep the conversation about money there would be no arguments.

This is it exactly.

The conversation goes real quick from wanting the program to maximize their finite resources (logical and rational) to bashing alleged bag chasing, me-first recruits. Getting paid in a system that finally allows it to happen legally is not a red flag.

Reaction Score
I don't mind the money conversation. But when people just start questioning a kids character with no evidence to back it up that's when it becomes a sensitive topic. If people just keep the conversation about money there would be no arguments.
My thought is that everyone recognizes the kids want to get paid, and should get paid for their talents in a free market. I think the frustration lies in some knowing that being here with this staff is the best path to getting the biggest bag long term. We wish it was apparent to all recruits and that they’d buy in. Unfortunately the reality is that they won’t. Some want the most up front dollars or view various programs interchangeably where they can make equivalent bags long term playing anywhere. Many of us don’t believe that. But it’s not our decision to make.

Reaction Score
Auror just talked about money and didn't question his character. I haven't seen anyone question his character, so we're good here.

Reaction Score
Maybe Meleek took the money now knowing he was going to give a discount to his college choice:). Or maybe he thought OTE was his best opportunity to improve. I love his game and potential and hope he picks us.

Reaction Score
it's fine to discuss the bag situation just as a part of roster management. the reality of the industry is that elite talent will get paid. everyone understands that this kind of discussion does not impugn a kid's character or drive, as the staff identify players based on cultural fit and competitiveness. still, given a finite budget consideration of cap efficiency would enter the picture if you want to get the most impact from the resource constraints. people are reacting too sensitively to this sort of discussion.

Not only do I agree with this post, but I also know how to spell impugn, a word I know the meaning of and use frequently but never write.

awy

Reaction Score
Not sure if there's anything here, but Kenny Smith had some good interactions with Thomas at the Pangos AA camp. Seems like Kenny's been involved there for a long time, and he's got deep connections with Kimani. Maybe Kenny can put in a word for UConn.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Tonight Show Oh Snap GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
In regards to the southern football schools
With massive amount of money -
The staff seems to be able to smoke out kids who are all about the money. So if these kids make it to campus it because it's a basketball decision as much as anything.
Which means Calipari is likely Effffed. Because outside of Money there is nothing he can sell kids on vs our staff
I would love it if the board would come to accept that Calipari can indeed pitch almost any recruit on NBA success and making a lot of money post college. Probably better than any college coach ever.

Will they win in school? Most likely not. But they are very likely to go lottery and get a 2nd contract at minimum. We’re kind of the opposite here for now.

Reaction Score
Is it “rescheduled” if he does not have anything planned anymore? Wouldn’t the proper term be “canceled”? Either way this would be huge!!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It’s so weird to be in this situation. 3 years ago I’d be refreshing this thread every 15 minutes for an update. Now I’m like - meh, the staff will figure it all out.

I've always been that guy that loves the kids that pick UConn and don't think twice about kids that go elsewhere

I especially loved our 2010 class that many people didn't. We even landed the wrong Lamb

Reaction Score
I would love it if the board would come to accept that Calipari can indeed pitch almost any recruit on NBA success and making a lot of money post college. Probably better than any college coach ever.

Will they win in school? Most likely not. But they are very likely to go lottery and get a 2nd contract at minimum. We’re kind of the opposite here for now.
And the players you are talking about would be lottery picks if they went to any school. The can recruit but as far as player development I am not so sure. Where are the Harralson twins these days?

Reaction Score

That is all true, and it is a great sales pitch. When you bring in five 5* guys a year you are going to have NBA success. And Cal is a very good coach. Not the best but very good. Recruiting at Arkansas won't be as easy as KY.

Reaction Score

Cal’s whole pitch was we can offer Nil money before it was allowed. His success from Umass on depended on buying players. That’s over. So is Cal’s success. He can’t coach. Name three kids Cal actually developed to success and wasn’t already heralded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom