Megan Walker | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of course we all expect her to improve and contribute.

That said, you can't deny that she has been the least impactful #1 recruit we've ever had as a freshman. This is uncharted territory.
Ann Strother had times as a freshman where she was great, courtesy of playing with Diana, but overall she had a quiet career at UConn. She actually regressed, partly b cause Geno her to play in the post. I was rooting for her but she didn’t have the aggressive mindset to be a dominant player

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Meagan's combination of quickness, strength, overall athleticism, skills and Geno's system will lead to AA status and the Huskie Wall of Fame. That you are unable to identify this is a reflection of your skills (or lack thereof). Further, you shouldn't be posting your ill-informed rubbish in a Boneyard post. Have you nothing better to do?
While you are entitled to your opinion Grad 1990, so are others. Please try to disagree without being so damn disagreeable. Your response was a personal affront and hardly buffers your point. I think the MODS can decide who should or should not be posting on the BY. And they just might!

Reaction Score

That said, you can't deny that she has been the least impactful #1 recruit we've ever had as a freshman. This is uncharted territory.
OK, I take your point, and have to sort of begrudgingly agree, but I think the uncharted territory comment is a bridge too far. Over the years, we've seen this phenomenon a lot. Megan has been less impactful as a Freshman than she might have otherwise been because a larger role for her wasn't required. That's a luxury that Geno can afford. He takes a lot of heat on our forum for allegedly tearing down the confidence level of very talented incoming players, but c'mon, how many times do we need to see this movie before we believe the ending is real? Yes, Megan's confidence is kind of shot right now, which is adversely affecting her play in the short-term, but this is happening with a larger ultimate goal in mind. Look, for example, at Azura. Last year, lots of folks here predicted that she'd be a shoo-in for NPOY this season, before she ever played a minute here. Geno tore her down pretty unmercifully. Does anyone currently doubt that the player now emerging, particularly on defense, is a better version of herself than she otherwise would have been? Would we see the same result under the direction of Coach P? Megan is going to be pretty terrific, and these are really not uncharted waters.

JS

Reaction Score
Hello: Just wondering if my recent post was too critical and therefore removed. thanks
Wasn't removed by me, but I can see the reason.

You're a new member. Please read the Rules pinned at the top of the board. "Regarding speculation - we don't EVER speculate on possible transfers here."

Reaction Score
OK, I take your point, and have to sort of begrudgingly agree, but I think the uncharted territory comment is a bridge too far. Over the years, we've seen this phenomenon a lot. Megan has been less impactful as a Freshman than she might have otherwise been because a larger role for her wasn't required. That's a luxury that Geno can afford. He takes a lot of heat on our forum for allegedly tearing down the confidence level of very talented incoming players, but c'mon, how many times do we need to see this movie before we believe the ending is real? Yes, Megan's confidence is kind of shot right now, which is adversely affecting her play in the short-term, but this is happening with a larger ultimate goal in mind. Look, for example, at Azura. Last year, lots of folks here predicted that she'd be a shoo-in for NPOY this season, before she ever played a minute here. Geno tore her down pretty unmercifully. Does anyone currently doubt that the player now emerging, particularly on defense, is a better version of herself than she otherwise would have been? Would we see the same result under the direction of Coach P? Megan is going to be pretty terrific, and these are really not uncharted waters.

Yes, my point is simply that even other #1 players who were "torn down" during their freshman season provided much more than Megan Walker has provided.

Perhaps there is no correlation between freshman year impact and career productivity for #1 recruits, but we're well outside the bounds of what we have seen before in terms of lack of contribution as a freshman and therefore can't easily interpolate or project what is likely going forward. That is what I mean by "uncharted".

Reaction Score
I agree with those who predict that MW will never be an impact player in this program. Player development is, and has always been, a genuine problem under Geno's tutelage. For Megan to be any good, we'd have to see real evidence of improvement in her performance by next season. But I defy you to point to any other player who has made a big Sophomore leap here. Had Megan chosen some other top program, say Duke, for example, I'd be more confident as to where she's headed...here, nah, I just don't see it. Just another top recruit going to ruin in a consistent "graveyard" for top recruits...on that we can all agree!
How about Crystal!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hello is speculation same as opinion. Just saying. thanks
We don't discuss potential transfers. Whether it's speculation, opinion, or prediction, we don't do it.

Discussing announced transfers is fine.

Reaction Score
Ann Strother had times as a freshman where she was great, courtesy of playing with Diana, but overall she had a quiet career at UConn. She actually regressed, partly b cause Geno her to play in the post. I was rooting for her but she didn’t have the aggressive mindset to be a dominant player
Geno also tried turning Charde Houston into a post player, which didn't work well. I remember seeing her as a quick h.s. guard. Suddenly she was bulking up and playing the frontcourt . I never did understand that. But that's awhile ago.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that we (fans) don't know anything about. Natalie Butler was dealing with some "personal" issues during her time here that may or may not have effected her play. We never knew or heard about those challenges, nor should we have. They were personal. I'm not making excuses for Megan or any of the other freshmen. Just reminding everyone that this is 2018. This group of freshmen are coming along in a different time and era then that of their predecessors.

New level, new challenges. Every player responds differently at their own pace. Kia Nurse was able to function as a starter her freshman year after Chong's demotion. Nurse was NOT projected to be a starter as a freshman. She became one out of necessity. Because of her experience with the Canadian National Team, Nurse was able to step up, and step in when Geno needed her to. If you remember, this time last year, the light had not come on for Crystal yet. She was still feeling her way along, not completely sure of what she was doing, or suppose to do.

No doubt these freshmen are experiencing a much different college experience than we did back in our day, or even that of their predecessors of only 15 years ago. The time for experimentation has expired. Geno has identified the 7 players he's going to go with these last 6 games. The rest of the reserves will be cheerleaders.

Let's take a look at where the current freshmen are later in the year (November) at the start of the pre-conference portion of the season. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised at their growth and development at that point. Then we get to do this all over again with Williams, ONO and hopefully Eziyoda Magbegor.

The tickets are sold, rehearsals are done. The show is about to begin. Let's root long and hard for old UConn. To barrow a phrase from Bill Belichick as we begin our journey, " it's on to Columbus". :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Big Petunia hit the jackpot. Fact--Kia was needed as a frosh and made a major contribution (mostly defense.) Gabby wasn't needed as much and did not do as much.
Lou was needed as the 5th starter and the shooter. She filled the bill, but not much more. Pheese was not needed and did her small part. Danger had her spot role and did pretty well, but wasn't ready to take over the PG from Chong. Danger had a role that she partly understood. Her Soph leap came when she understood her PG role. She had the physical & mental ability to fill that this year. The freshman impact was determined by what was required by the team/Geno.
The Petunia Point --IMHO, the key point to explain Megan's dilemma is--"Megan has been less impactful as a Freshman than she might have otherwise been because a larger role for her wasn't required. That's a luxury that Geno can afford. Those extraordinary feats were not required since she was the 7th player on this deep team. Geno had that luxury of demanding more and thinking long term.
One more piece of evidence is--other frosh around the country who are tearing up the NCAA. At Baylor, Morris had to step in for the injured PG. The Texas A&M frosh was needed as a scorer/leader and was impactful. Those outstanding frosh were put into a position where they got the game time, practice time, and full support of the coaches and team. It was required and necessary. Not so for Megan. Thanks for that insight Big Petunia!!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You nailed it.

I always wondered what it was like for Saniya to come into the program and try to fit in with all those (eventual) multi-year All-Americans. Who among us would not have been intimidated?

I hope MW understands that a starting spot next year is hers to lose, and that starting at UConn as a soph is a pretty big deal.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that we (fans) don't know anything about. Natalie Butler was dealing with some "personal" issues during her time here that may or may not have contributed to her play. We never knew or heard about those challenges, nor should we have. They were personal. I'm not making excuses for Megan or any of the other freshmen. Just reminding everyone that this is 2018. This group of freshmen are coming along in a different time and era as that of their predecessors.

New level, new challenges. Every player responds differently at their own pace. Remember, this time last year, the light had not come on for Crystal yet. No doubt these freshmen are experiencing a much different college experience that we did back in our day. Geno has his 7 players he's going to go with in the tourney. Let's take a look at where the current freshmen are later in the year (November) at the start of the pre-conference portion of the season. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised at their growth and development to that point. :cool:
Scoop this was beautifully stated.
I agree completely.
I would just hope that some here because of their intense caring for this team, it's players and culture, don't expect every player to live up to their expectations in terms of awards they will ultimately earn or when, or if at all.
As you said so well, each individual responds at their own pace. Let MW have and find hers. The pressure she probably is placing on herself to live up to the expectations might be greater than anyone else. Sometimes this can get in the way and for some even slow down the process.
While there are many examples of the light going on, and the enormous success Geno, CD and the coaches have had, nothing is ever guaranteed.
Bronx23

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
AH, lets see....Napheesa Collier and Lou became AAs their sophomore years. Geno doesn't develop top players that he recruits is so wrong that it doesn't even deserve a reply.
Megan Walker will be more than a impact player at UCONN.
giphy.gif

Bama fan

Reaction Score
There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that we (fans) don't know anything about. Natalie Butler was dealing with some "personal" issues during her time here that may or may not have contributed to her play. We never knew or heard about those challenges, nor should we have. They were personal. I'm not making excuses for Megan or any of the other freshmen. Just reminding everyone that this is 2018. This group of freshmen are coming along in a different time and era as that of their predecessors.

New level, new challenges. Every player responds differently at their own pace. Remember, this time last year, the light had not come on for Crystal yet. No doubt these freshmen are experiencing a much different college experience than we did back in our day. Geno has his 7 players he's going to go with in the tourney. Let's take a look at where the current freshmen are later in the year (November) at the start of the pre-conference portion of the season. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised at their growth and development to that point. :cool:
I know I was clueless in my freshman year, and I did not carry the hopes and dreams of the Boneyard on my shoulders. I just had to go to class, and screwed that up many times. These kids are under great pressure, and they have a great opportunity. Not everyone will thrive in that milieu. Next year the sky's the limit!

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Geno also tried turning Charde Houston into a post player, which didn't work well. I remember seeing her as a quick h.s. guard. Suddenly she was bulking up and playing the frontcourt . I never did understand that. But that's awhile ago.
Who was the better option in the post during those years? I think Houston was Auriemma's best option in the post and that's why he went with her.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I just want to go on record, as I sometimes do, to say I have not read this thread and have no intention of doing so. Meg has my best wishes and firm support to become all that she can be in the greatest place to become that.
You have missed some brilliant,enlightening,electrifying commentary. And a lot of hooey. And some really well thought out posts that managed to deal with actual basketball related stuff. And one fellow who was having a reallybadawfulmeanterrible day. Get some of that brown elixir you were talking about last night and sit back and go for a ride reading this thread front to back! :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know I was clueless in my freshman year, and I did not carry the hopes and dreams of the Boneyard on my shoulders. I just had to go to class, and screwed that up many times. These kids are under great pressure, and they have a great opportunity. Not everyone will thrive in that milieu. Next year the sky's the limit!

Some of us had crap for brains when we were 18. I know I did. I had a totally different agenda at 18, than I did at 25. By then, I had become a military veteran and a college graduate. Needless to say, the landscape looked a lot different by then. Most of us can't remember (clearly) back that far, too long ago. Too many trials and tribulations in our everyday lives between then and now.

We didn't have the duties and responsibilities then that we have now. We think like the mature, rational and experienced adults we are, and sometimes wonder why the kids of today can't see things as we do. It's as plain as the nose on their face. They have many things (and access to things and information) we did not have growing up.............computers, cell phones, the Internet, etc.

Experience!!! There's no substitute for it. That's why we would not make the same mistakes an 18 year old would. Needless to say, our value system was much different back then, as was our air of invincibility. We hardly ever got sick, and nothing hurt (aches, pains, joints, etc.). We had ALL of our hair back then too. ;) Those where the days. If only we knew then what we know NOW!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
In the UCONN program, the impactfulness of a player is largely determined by the player herself. You earn minutes if you practice well. The more minutes you earn, the more meaningful those minutes become, and the more potential there is that you can make an impact. The system is entirely merits based, independent of your ranking. MW is the number one recruit in her class. To argue that she has not been impactful so far because she has not been needed to be impactful seems to me to turn logical thinking on its head.

Geno himself has expressed his frustration with the benchers on multiple occasions, and at least on one occasion explicitly refuted the idea that he did not need a deeper bench; in fact, he stated quite the opposite: he needed the bench to contribute. If MW had earn Geno's trust, I could easily have imagined that he would have inserted her earlier in many games and for longer stretches of time, but he elected not to do so. In one blow out game, he even went so far as to not play her at all to send a message.

I think highly of MW's talents; she was not ranked number one for no reason. With the kind of coaching that is available to her at UCONN, her potential is literally limitless. What she does with that potential and how she impacts the team rest largely in her own hands.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno also tried Gabby as a post a player and that... well that turned out pretty well didn't it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom