Megan Walker | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker

Reaction Score
Agree, she keeps passing up open shots. I keep yelling at the TV, damn girl, shoot already!

Of course a lot of them (bench players, 2nd string, scrubs :rolleyes:) pass up open shots. Sometimes it's like they are so intent on trying to run the offense, they forget the object of running the offense is to get open shots and take them.

You're right. Meg is passing up some shots, I think because having the "light go on" at UConn means playing w/in a system, not hunting shots. I've noticed that she looks to pass first almost all of the time, actually overriding her apparent inclination to take a shot. She knows by now that she is not the primary option on the floor and is surrounded by great scorers. So, to fit in, means helping the shooters get their shots.
Say what you like. Meg is going to start next year and have a real chance to be the great player we know her to be. Freshmen wait in line at UConn, as so many of you have pointed out over the years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You're right. Meg is passing up some shots, I think because having the "light go on" at UConn means playing w/in a system, not hunting shots. I've noticed that she looks to pass first almost all of the time, actually overriding her apparent inclination to take a shot. She knows by now that she is not the primary option on the floor and is surrounded by great scorers. So, to fit in, means helping the shooters get their shots.
Say what you like. Meg is going to start next year and have a real chance to be the great player we know her to be. Freshmen wait in line at UConn, as so many of you have pointed out over the years.
I was talking more about Molly. Meg will usually take her shots. Especially when she's on the floor with other bench players.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Ok, so I take a few minutes off the the topic becomes incandescent. We should stop inducing this polarizing effect on the board. We should shunt this negative energy into something more positive before there is a complete overload. I don't think this is shocking connection what Bama had in mind when he started this. So get the LED out and move on.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I am totally SHOCKED by some of the responses in this tread.
Time to rectify this short circuit and get back to poor old Meg. Lest she be transformed by the isolating trend we have been conducting lately. Thanks for the fun play date everyone! It has been an ionizing afternoon. Go Huskies

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
About halfway through the season, I thought that MW was showing progressive improvement....then, there was the kickback from Geno stating that he had no bench, and he wanted to take the uniforms away from the reserves.
From that point on, MW had to restart and pretend the season was starting again. I am not questioning any moves that were made/or not made, I was just upset that a top recruit had to begin her initial season with the team, 2 TIMES!
The team is now in the final leg of the season. I am not worried about next year; I am worried about this year.
We all know this team is injury prone. What if: there are hurt players not available in the NCAA tourney? .......Is MW ready to step in and give the lift the team will need? I think that answer should have been available much earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
Unless your name is Maya Moore, there is no other #1 recruit or any really good recruit that’s going to come in and have an immediate huge impact, start, and score this large amount of points. Even Maya didn’t start freshman year until someone was injured. The only other person I can think of off the top of my head is Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis who lead the team in scoring her freshman year and didn’t start. Freshmen wait in line at UConn unless you are the best option for your position (Bria Hartley, Stefanie Dolson frosh year) and that’s just what it is and always will be. Megan will eventually be an All-American.. right now she’s still figuring it out; so calm down geez.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
as we old, old Dodger fans have been known to say, "wait 'till next year", and the year after that, and, especially, the year after that.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Unless your name is Maya Moore, there is no other #1 recruit or any really good recruit that’s going to come in and have an immediate huge impact, start, and score this large amount of points. Even Maya didn’t start freshman year until someone was injured. The only person I can think of off the top of my head is Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis who lead the team in scoring her freshman year and didn’t start. Freshmen wait in line at UConn unless you are the best option for your position (Bria Hartley, Stefanie Dolson frosh year) and that’s just what it is and always will be. Megan will eventually be an All-American.. right now she’s still figuring it out; so calm down geez.
Whose geez?

Reaction Score
I'll wait and see and hold off an evaluation until Uconn completes the first three games of the tournament. If Megan demonstrates during those games consistency then I think one could determine whether she'd play much going forward in the tournament. After all, GA didn't play Crystal Dangerfield much against Mississippi State last tournament because he didn't think he could count on her.
game-to-game performance and assessment is just noise. My prediction remains: 2020-21 NPOY.
I've read a lot of these comments about MW and while many of us hope she will meet the expectations of being high school POY, very little that I've seen so points to great success. Yes very few freshmen make significant contributions the first year but other then glimpses or flashes of greatness I don't see it. Her drive yesterday to the basket indicated an explosiveness that I haven't seen from her before.
I too hope and expect that she will make a huge sophomore leap, on the order of CD, but that isn't a given.
At times I wonder based upon her size how she's going to become a dominating force. She's clearly not a guard as she doesn't handle the ball well enough. I believe her shooting from the outside is better than we've mostly seen so far and remember a comment Geno made in practice what a good shooter she is.
I do see quickness and rebounding and scuffling for rebounds that surprised me.
I hope I'm wrong but I only see her as a part of some real good teams but not a lead player.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with those who predict that MW will never be an impact player in this program. Player development is, and has always been, a genuine problem under Geno's tutelage. For Megan to be any good, we'd have to see real evidence of improvement in her performance by next season. But I defy you to point to any other player who has made a big Sophomore leap here. Had Megan chosen some other top program, say Duke, for example, I'd be more confident as to where she's headed...here, nah, I just don't see it. Just another top recruit going to ruin in a consistent "graveyard" for top recruits...on that we can all agree!

Reaction Score
I agree with those who predict that MW will never be an impact player in this program. Player development is, and has always been, a genuine problem under Geno's tutelage. For Megan to be any good, we'd have to see real evidence of improvement in her performance by next season. But I defy you to point to any other player who has made a big Sophomore leap here. Had Megan chosen some other top program, say Duke, for example, I'd be more confident as to where she's headed...here, nah, I just don't see it. Just another top recruit going to ruin in a consistent "graveyard" for top recruits...on that we can all agree!
AH, lets see....Napheesa Collier and Lou became AAs their sophomore years. Geno doesn't develop top players that he recruits is so wrong that it doesn't even deserve a reply.
Megan Walker will be more than a impact player at UCONN.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
AH, lets see....Napheesa Collier and Lou became AAs their sophomore years. Geno doesn't develop top players that he recruits is so wrong that it doesn't even deserve a reply.
I don't believe that is a serious post but, you bit on it.

Reaction Score

mr2cents - come on! Big Petunia was just funnin. You took the bait.
Anyway, after reading the other post about Z and her turn-around--it became clear to me about Megan and her part on this team. Remember in the beginning of the season when Z went in and it was Keystone Cops. It took almost 30 games for Z to find her role and "blend in" with the flow. Z is at AA level today and she is in her 4th year of playing top ball. Z was not practicing with the starters last year at all and not much at the beginning of the season. Little by little she got her time in with the starters (practice and big games.) It takes time to be in sync and learn each others moves and what they like. She had to understand her new role, try the new role, make mistakes with the new role, accept her new role, and finally "blend in" with her new role. Megan is in the early stages of that process. No time with starters at practice, little time in big games, and --here is the kicker--What the heck is her role? We can all see that she is not comfortable with the new role, she might not understand fully what the new role is, she might not fully accept her new role, and she does not get enough time (practice or games) fine-tuning that new role.
IMHO Geno has determined that Megan had to learn multiple skills this year and that puts extra burdens on her. Remember, Lou had one role as a frosh---stand in the corner and shoot. KML did the same as a frosh--she was the shooter. They did very little defensively, nary a rebound, and rarely, if ever, attacked the rim as frosh. Megan is expected to do all of those today. Geno always pushes the great one more than the rest.

IMO the Sophomore leap comes because of the clarification of a players role. IMO Geno sees Megan as the 5th starter next year and she has to have multiple skills developed by then. Megan has the physical skills to be great. Geno's system has worked well so far and he is the Man. The glass is more than half full.

Reaction Score
Anyway, after reading the other post about Z and her turn-around--it became clear to me about Megan and her part on this team. Remember in the beginning of the season when Z went in and it was Keystone Cops. It took almost 30 games for Z to find her role and "blend in" with the flow. Z is at AA level today and she is in her 4th year of playing top ball. Z was not practicing with the starters last year at all and not much at the beginning of the season. Little by little she got her time in with the starters (practice and big games.) It takes time to be in sync and learn each others moves and what they like. She had to understand her new role, try the new role, make mistakes with the new role, accept her new role, and finally "blend in" with her new role. Megan is in the early stages of that process. No time with starters at practice, little time in big games, and --here is the kicker--What the heck is her role? We can all see that she is not comfortable with the new role, she might not understand fully what the new role is, she might not fully accept her new role, and she does not get enough time (practice or games) fine-tuning that new role.
IMHO Geno has determined that Megan had to learn multiple skills this year and that puts extra burdens on her. Remember, Lou had one role as a frosh---stand in the corner and shoot. KML did the same as a frosh--she was the shooter. They did very little defensively, nary a rebound, and rarely, if ever, attacked the rim as frosh. Megan is expected to do all of those today. Geno always pushes the great one more than the rest.

IMO the Sophomore leap comes because of the clarification of a players role. IMO Geno sees Megan as the 5th starter next year and she has to have multiple skills developed by then. Megan has the physical skills to be great. Geno's system has worked well so far and he is the Man. The glass is more than half full.
Bravo! Terrific analysis. The learning curve at UConn is vastly steeper than almost anywhere else because of the complexity of both offense and defense and, depending on what your responsibilities are/eventually will be, that curve can be quite steep indeed. There is a lot invested in Megan and she will come through. But you said it a lot better than that.

Reaction Score

You're exactly right. Right now Walker defers to the older players because she feels it's kind of like their team in a way. But next year when her role is more defined, and Auriemma tells her he needs her to do say, Williams' job, she'll take ownership and the skills and instincts will take over. She has the ability to do a lot of what Williams does. And when she learns to consistently shoot OVER the front of the rim instead of AT it, she'll be really good.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll wait and see and hold off an evaluation until Uconn completes the first three games of the tournament. If Megan demonstrates during those games consistency then I think one could determine whether she'd play much going forward in the tournament. After all, GA didn't play Crystal Dangerfield much against Mississippi State last tournament because he didn't think he could count on her.

jdubct, you stole my thunder. I was going to suggest the same exact thing!!! Crystal only played 17 minutes, and Butler 6 minutes against MS. Megan is going to play during the tournament!!! How much she plays remains to be seen. During these last 6 games, the most important games of the season, Geno is going to need Megan. Especially if Gabby can't go. No one looks at her as a freshman now. That does not mean she won't play like one. Megan is capable of playing good solid defense, and as Geno and his staff have/will stress, "focus on what you do well" at this time of the season. Your Crystal reference is spot on. Sometime during the summer, the light came on for her. No one knows the exact time or place, but it did come on!!

I expect the same to happen for Megan. I also expect Megan to start every game next season, and for the remainder of her time at UConn. Geno will have 2 openings in his starting lineup after Gabby and Kia graduate, and move on to the next level. I fully expect Megan and Azure to take their place. They've been the 6th and 7th man all year, and they'll likely be the only two he'll use off the bench during the tournament. It's the most "logical" progression and promotion.

Who else on the bench is playing better than those two right now? As a starter, Megan's mindset and approach will change. To anyone that's even remotely thinking about either of the incoming freshmen starting...........................keep in mind how Geno feels about freshmen. They'll be too busy adjusting to the information overload, and the higher level of physical demands they'll encounter......................forget about it!!! :confused:

PhillyCoach, I agree with your take above: Megan has the physical skills to be great. Geno's system has worked well so far and he is the Man. The glass is more than half full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Of course we all expect her to improve and contribute.

That said, you can't deny that she has been the least impactful #1 recruit we've ever had as a freshman. This is uncharted territory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom