Megan Culmo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Megan Culmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more. The announcers on the ND-NC State game were especially painful.
The old dude was hilarious to me. His superlatives were...uh, unique. And at times it sounded as if he was saying the first thing that came into his mind. lol

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Culmo is nowhere near or will never come near ESPN commentators level of analysis ....
I would rather listen to Meg than many ESPN commentators. At least she's talking about what is happening during the game and not the BS that the ESPN commentators is spewing. They hardly talk about what is happening during the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of UConn fans love the team but don’t really understand the game. Meg points out details that will help explain the game to them. Maybe Caroline got away with a walk; when she’s called for it next time, fans will understand why.

You may be unaware Meg was an assistant for Geno years ago. She thinks like a coach and so makes coach-like statements. She also talks to Geno and CD and knows what they would say about the game. My opinion is that the thoughts going through Geno’s head during a game are probably similar to what Meg is saying.
And she used to live in his basement. ;^)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
To some extent, the opinions of Meg's elocution are colored by
the extent of each individual's sense of "fandom," a subject very much
on my mind these days with comments on this subject on this and other boards.

My sense of fandom has always been of the more limited kind:
screaming in pleasure at Maya's (for example) great individual exploits
and at the TV last night, during the term's splendid comeback...

But (on the other hand), I am remote from those who live, breath and die UConn uber alles.
I just never got it.

Especially these days, with the W, seemingly reshuffling the deck with free agents going hither and yon
And, professional football teams in Florida and Cleveland accused of throwing games...

How can the old sense of complete loyalty to a team continue to exist?

Reaction Score
I know this is a sensitive topic on the BY and may get me a ton of dislikes and much scorn.
For me, she is getting harder and harder to listen to. I just mute her mostly, but the best Womens program in history should have a better TV analyst.
I know how much she means to the UCONN WBB family and seems to be a very nice person, this is just a critique of her style.
First, can she call the game that is actually happening or on every play pretend she is the actual referee? CD makes a jumper at the foul line, Culmo states " I think she got away with a walk there".
Or a Creighton player stumbles in the lane and Culmo states, "Westbrook got away with a foul there".
Let the actual refs call the game, they are the only ones that count.
Also, you are not the coach, we make a three pointer, " That was bad offense as we were standing around" 3 points seem pretty good to me.
Lastly, I am not sure what she is seeing , an opposition three point attempt clangs 15 ft off the rim , directly to the other team..." Uconn should have hustled and got that rebound" . There wasn't a Uconn player anywhere near the ball.
I think I will maybe try what another person made a comment on and listen to Bob Joyce on the radio.
She was pretty much right on all those observations. She perhaps has the style of a knowledgeable fan, maybe could be more detached

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, a top-shelf crew, though I will say I really miss Eric Frede's outstanding play-by-play!
Agree, sometimes Bestwick’s unfamiliarity with the game shows up. But, at least to me, it seems like he has put in a lot of time to improve his fluency with basketball concepts.

I enjoy Meghan. The only thing that I would get rid of is her using the Telestrator. That’s actually painful.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
From my perspective, Meghan is among the very best play-by-play announcers for basketball. She knows the game inside and out, appreciates fine playing, but notes when our players make mistakes. She keeps her focus on the game-- not drifting into wordy biographies that, like other commentators' meandering ignores what is happening on the court! She is not an overheated homer, so her judgments about the good and not-so-good of our players' efforts ring true, with knowledgable insights and perspectives. I have a big-screen tv that is great for watching games, but even so, the players are about 6" tall, so I'm glad she's there to tell me/us what is so much more "real" from a courtside seat. Perfect? no, but way better than most.

Reaction Score
A lot of UConn fans love the team but don’t really understand the game. Meg points out details that will help explain the game to them. Maybe Caroline got away with a walk; when she’s called for it next time, fans will understand why.

You may be unaware Meg was an assistant for Geno years ago. She thinks like a coach and so makes coach-like statements. She also talks to Geno and CD and knows what they would say about the game. My opinion is that the thoughts going through Geno’s head during a game are probably similar to what Meg is saying.
Definitely. Also she has a terrific Husky laugh which is quite delightful to hear.

Reaction Score
I'm 'pro' Meghan. I don't need "perfec " and she adds to my
enjoyment of the game. I learn "stuff" from her , but I
must admit that the Boneyard gives me a significant amount
of BB knowledge that I never knew before.
I tend to review / rewatch most games ( not a loss ) and
I will "see" what she comments on the second time around. Then
I will agree or disagree with her. I usually agree because on
replay I see a lot of thing differently than I say in the "real time
game action" . I'm impressed by what
most color commentators " see" in real time ( it's very fast
action ). "May a Thousand Blossoms ( and opinions ) Bloom".
Pax.

Reaction Score
To some extent, the opinions of Meg's elocution are colored by
the extent of each individual's sense of "fandom," a subject very much
on my mind these days with comments on this subject on this and other boards.

My sense of fandom has always been of the more limited kind:
screaming in pleasure at Maya's (for example) great individual exploits
and at the TV last night, during the term's splendid comeback...

But (on the other hand), I am remote from those who live, breath and die UConn uber alles.
I just never got it.

Especially these days, with the W, seemingly reshuffling the deck with free agents going hither and yon
And, professional football teams in Florida and Cleveland accused of throwing games...

How can the old sense of complete loyalty to a team continue to exist?
I think your thoughts deserve a separate thread.
I'm more like Baskin and Robbins, 31 flavors, where fandom comes in. We're all different.
In terms of fan "purity", I'm not sure about that either. Maybe the fan you're talking about is hiding a lack of knowledge behind the Husky head and blue face paint. Maybe the fan that questions coaching strategy is really the fan that is there through thick and thin and the Husky head is out mowing the lawn.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I know this is a sensitive topic on the BY and may get me a ton of dislikes and much scorn.
For me, she is getting harder and harder to listen to. I just mute her mostly, but the best Womens program in history should have a better TV analyst.
I know how much she means to the UCONN WBB family and seems to be a very nice person, this is just a critique of her style.
First, can she call the game that is actually happening or on every play pretend she is the actual referee? CD makes a jumper at the foul line, Culmo states " I think she got away with a walk there".
Or a Creighton player stumbles in the lane and Culmo states, "Westbrook got away with a foul there".
Also, you are not the coach, we make a three pointer, " That was bad offense as we were standing around" 3 points seem pretty good to me.
Lastly, I am not sure what she is seeing , an opposition three point attempt clangs 15 ft off the rim , directly to the other team..." Uconn should have hustled and got that rebound" . There wasn't a Uconn player anywhere near the ball.
I think I will maybe try what another person made a comment on and listen to Bob Joyce on the radio.
Nope. I will take the opposite opinion on every point made. I remember each incident and agreed with Meghan each time. She is a color commentator and she nails it. Also while definitely pro-UConn, she lauds the other teams good plays and points out the UConn lapses. I appreciate her honesty

Reaction Score
If you don't like listening to Megan Culmo, I would ask, "compared to what?" Megan is not perfect, but women's basketball has always lacked talented announcers. With my internet and streaming providers, I get ESNP, SEC, PAC 12, and Big 10 women's basketball, and other than Rebecca Lobo, the announcers are all amateurs. I suspect that most who dislike Megan's style don't listen to her competitors, who are 99% horrid.

Reaction Score
Well I love how Meg gives us vocabulary lessons.

Reaction Score
If you don’t like Culmo, how about we bring in Beth Mowins to do twenty or so UCONN games a season? I think half of us would fling ourselves out a window if that came to pass.
I really enjoy Culmo and Bestwick. And I think that, when one of the networks does a game, it’s a step down. And that includes ESPN. Lobo is fine, but, IMHO, a little bland. I’d take Culmo over her any day.

Reaction Score
If you don’t like Culmo, how about we bring in Beth Mowins to do twenty or so UCONN games a season? I think half of us would fling ourselves out a window if that came to pass.
I really enjoy Culmo and Bestwick. And I think that, when one of the networks does a game, it’s a step down. And that includes ESPN. Lobo is fine, but, IMHO, a little bland. I’d take Culmo over her any day.
Aren't you picking up on Lobo's "Bill Raftery impersonation" as the network goes to commercial break? I'm waiting for "with a kiss...". Sorry, I know it's sacrilege in NE to criticize either of them.

Reaction Score
The old dude was hilarious to me. His superlatives were...uh, unique. And at times it sounded as if he was saying the first thing that came into his mind. lol
My favorite was “ they aren’t just great, they are excellent”. Articulate?

Reaction Score
Nope. I will take the opposite opinion on every point made. I remember each incident and agreed with Meghan each time. She is a color commentator and she nails it. Also while definitely pro-UConn, she lauds the other teams good plays and points out the UConn lapses. I appreciate her honesty
Megan is spot on with her assessment of violations and fouls which are and are not called. Numerous time I will call out "that's a travel", or that's a charge/block", or the always popular "so and so hit the ball last" before going out of bounds well before the official makes a call or non call. Megan is right there and almost always sees the same thing. I have no qualms with her play by play. Monica McNutt, now she is a whole another story!,

Reaction Score
There is a tendency in women's bball, both college and the W, for the color announcers to feel it is their job to make a game exciting - sell the product so to speak. Very routine plays are made to seem extraordinary, which is rarely the case. I get that they want to get viewers interested in the women's game. I personally find it annoying. A good game with good players can generate excitement all by itself thank you.

Meg doesn't over hype, knows the game, is willing to point out the bad as well as the good and overall does a fine job.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
From my perspective, Meghan is among the very best play-by-play announcers for basketball. She knows the game inside and out, appreciates fine playing, but notes when our players make mistakes. She keeps her focus on the game-- not drifting into wordy biographies that, like other commentators' meandering ignores what is happening on the court! She is not an overheated homer, so her judgments about the good and not-so-good of our players' efforts ring true, with knowledgable insights and perspectives. I have a big-screen tv that is great for watching games, but even so, the players are about 6" tall, so I'm glad she's there to tell me/us what is so much more "real" from a courtside seat. Perfect? no, but way better than most.
Meghan is an analyst, not a play-by-play announcer. I enjoy listening to her. When she worked with Eric Frede it made a really good team. I watch some old UConn games, from early in the 2000's, and Meghan was the UConn analyst way back then.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Thank goodness.

The only thing that really bothers me about SNY, besides the fact I can't get it or record it (so I have to watch it live or wait til the next day to see a game :mad:) is the camera work. Pisses me off all the time. At least a few times a game we are watching someone in the stands or closeup on the coach while a play is being made. Then we get a replay of the play we missed while we miss another play going on. Their Technical Director or Camera Producer (or whatever they call it) is horrible. Just horrible. (And I hope you read this, you mindless idiot. ) ( I yell at the TV more for this than at the refs for calling traveling or 3 seconds.)

soapbox-mega-soap.gif
My yell is usually "WILL YOU SHOW THE GAME!!!! Cuolmo has grown on me over the years. Her hyuk, hyuks have lessened or I am tuning them out. I like her calling out UConn's lazy passes, fouls and walks. Mostly I like her because she usually agrees with me. :)

Reaction Score
I always mute her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom