Megan Culmo | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Megan Culmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this is a sensitive topic on the BY and may get me a ton of dislikes and much scorn.
For me, she is getting harder and harder to listen to. I just mute her mostly, but the best Womens program in history should have a better TV analyst.
I know how much she means to the UCONN WBB family and seems to be a very nice person, this is just a critique of her style.
First, can she call the game that is actually happening or on every play pretend she is the actual referee? CD makes a jumper at the foul line, Culmo states " I think she got away with a walk there".
Or a Creighton player stumbles in the lane and Culmo states, "Westbrook got away with a foul there".
Let the actual refs call the game, they are the only ones that count.
Also, you are not the coach, we make a three pointer, " That was bad offense as we were standing around" 3 points seem pretty good to me.
Lastly, I am not sure what she is seeing , an opposition three point attempt clangs 15 ft off the rim , directly to the other team..." Uconn should have hustled and got that rebound" . There wasn't a Uconn player anywhere near the ball.
I think I will maybe try what another person made a comment on and listen to Bob Joyce on the radio.
You had your say,so here is mine. She is excellent in explaining ,how,what,why from someone who really knows her basketball and there are many great fans who don’t necessarily know the nuances of the gsme ,maybe your just smart toned that.

Reaction Score
You had your say,so here is mine. She is excellent in explaining ,how,what,why from someone who really knows her basketball and there are many great fans who don’t necessarily know the nuances of the gsme ,maybe your just smart toned that.
What is " smart, toned that"? Yes, was my 2 cents.
Last thing, she has been broadcasting , what over 20 years in CT, and who is based here? ESPN and she never has been promoted to a regional or national level on that network.
Wonder why.

Reaction Score
Rarely do the SNY announcers say anything that hasn't been hashed and rehashed on this board. But the vast majority of UConn fans have very little knowledge of the day to day happenings that are discussed here. For the most part they watch the games and get all their info from the TV announcers.

I like honest announcers who point out the things that Culmo brings up. But if she is going to say something then SHOW US A REPLAY OF IT! But no, instead of the play just run we get a 3 min old replay of a routine layup by someone else.
I usually listen to Joyce because I like to know what's happening on the court. SNY is no different from any other video platform, the things that everyone in the arena knows because it's announced to them, who is coming in and out of the game, what the whistle was for, who fouled who. The PA announcer feels the crowd should know those things. So do radio announcers. But not TV. Why does TV just assume that we don't need to know those things and instead we want to hear about the forward from Osh Kosh U who has a cat named Pat Summit? Or that we just can't wait to listen to endless speculation during live action about who will make the NCAA's and who we should keep an eye on in the future. You want to chat then start a talk show. IMO by ignoring the game in front of them the TV announcers are admitting that the game is boring/unwatchable.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Last thing, she has been broadcasting , what over 20 years in CT, and who is based here? ESPN and she never has been promoted to a regional or national level on that network.
Wonder why.
How do you know that she wasn't offered and turned it down? Maybe because she enjoys doing the UConn games and doesn't want the hassles of traveling all over the place. It's easier on her to stick with broadcasting UConn games when it comes to family commitments because she only has to spend time on the opposition teams being played and not both teams.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
As a former player and Assistant Coach of UConn WBB, and of Coach Geno Auriemma, I appreciate Meghan Culmo color commentary, along with Kara Wolters. I miss Eric Frede on SNY!! Meghan and Eric were a dynamic duo. With Meghan and Kara being former players of Coach Geno, they know the game, and what Coach Geno expects from his players!!!! I don't see anything wrong with Meghan saying what she saw, because watching on t.v. there is a lot of things you miss.

Reaction Score
When I moved to western Massachusetts in the mid 90’s, the most important apartment selection criteria whether or not I could get channel 24 on my TVs rabbit ears. I always enjoyed those early coaches shows - with hilarious mail (post!) segments. She has provided a wonderful view into that amazing program over the years. I am grateful that she continues to do so.

Reaction Score
Wonder why.
She most likely doesn’t want to do that. She may want to see her family during the season.

MrT

Reaction Score
Megan is spot on with her assessment of violations and fouls which are and are not called. Numerous time I will call out "that's a travel", or that's a charge/block", or the always popular "so and so hit the ball last" before going out of bounds well before the official makes a call or non call. Megan is right there and almost always sees the same thing. I have no qualms with her play by play. Monica McNutt, now she is a whole another story!,
Its not what she says , she is right most of the time. Its the snide comments she makes as an add on. You don't have to be a "homer", but she is down right nasty sometimes. People are tired of hearing her negative Crap, has you hear from a good portion of the people here. Go announce the WNBA , nobody listens to those announcers anyway. I would rather listen to Kara, she tells it like it is , but she's not nasty and jealous. Its time to find a new job, how about an executioner she's better suited. Bestwick just makes the situation worse UGH! Throw some water on Meg and see what happens ???? Just bring back the broom stick. Go UCONN!!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Familiarity breeds contempt.

Do you guys listen to any other announcer 25-30 times a season? Maybe they’d be just as annoying and repetitive if you listened to them all the time
As someone who rarely sees a UConn broadcast, as so often the big games I watch are broadcasted elsewhere - I just saw a game last week and had absolutely no issue with her.

In fact, I found the broadcast quite informative. I prefer announcers (commentator or play by play) that explain the game. And I got that with the game I watched (DePaul).

There are announcers across the networks that I don't care for, and repetitive listening does sometimes make your opinion change. Currently, and for several years, Brenda VanLengen is near the top; Coach Peck is among the non-favorites. Dan Hughes, who does the Oklahoma home games on their local station, is very, very informative, but you have to listen very carefully, he is sometimes a bit technical. But it is a viewpoint you don't always get, a true coach's look without "coach speak".

Reaction Score
Cool!
A long time ago, I think it was ABC that had a Monday Night Baseball broadcast. I want to say that in the booth was like Earl Weaver, Billy Martin and Jim Palmer. I swear they analyzed the situation on every pitch in the game. And Palmer notoriously didn’t always agree with Earl so they had some disputes. Man, almost exhausting! But that’s truly what baseball is. Totally incredible. Can’t think of an analogy in hoops. For football analysis I think I like the Monday Night crew- Griese and Riddick?

As someone who rarely sees a UConn broadcast, as so often the big games I watch are broadcasted elsewhere - I just saw a game last week and had absolutely no issue with her.

In fact, I found the broadcast quite informative. I prefer announcers (commentator or play by play) that explain the game. And I got that with the game I watched (DePaul).

There are announcers across the networks that I don't care for, and repetitive listening does sometimes make your opinion change. Currently, and for several years, Brenda VanLengen is near the top; Coach Peck is among the non-favorites. Dan Hughes, who does the Oklahoma home games on their local station, is very, very informative, but you have to listen very carefully, he is sometimes a bit technical. But it is a viewpoint you don't always get, a true coach's look without "coach speak".

Reaction Score
Count me as a Meghan Culmo fan. Appreciate her unvarnished analysis, esp as the program’s broadcast partner resisting homerism.

However, I concur with a previously expressed criticism of the camera work & production, which periodically misses the play-at-hand.

Otherwise, while I’ve heard worse, Allen Bestwick is a clear drop-off from Eric Frede’s PBP quality IMHO. A bit stiff & sometimes inaccurate.

Reaction Score
Meghan does a good job, in fact the whole SNY crew does a good job. Nan pointed out that Meghan was an assistant under Geno after she graduated. Back in those years UConn would do a little trivia contest before the games. The answer to the first trivia question was always the same at every game, and the crowd would shout out the answer: "Meghan Pattyson". It got to be a thing. Kinda like shouting "Beruuuuuube" after Carla scored a basket.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wonder why.
LOL your original post was fine, I disagree with it, but it was fine. This one seems like a bit of a reach though. What happened? Did she take the last loaf of that Ryebread he really like or something?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A potential
$100,000 Dollar Pyramid Category

1) Announcers
2) Refs
3) Tennessee
4) Muffet McGraw
5) Grey / Black Uniforms

Answer: Top Items the BY says s**k

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Meghan has been a player, asst. coach, babysitter for Genos kids, and a color analyst. She is smart, knows the game, and tells it like it is. The only problem I have with her is her voice. For some reason it bugs me, maybe because what she says seems to be in a monotone voice and every comment sounds the same. Not doubting her knowledge, just the way she comes across to me. Sorry, not sorry.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one comment I will make is that some of us remember a time when basketball, baseball and football games were called by one announcer only. Those announcers were basically “play by play” guys whose sole function was to call the action on the court or field of play.

Many got their start in radio where it was all about painting a vivid picture of the game in the minds of their listeners. Red Barber was among the best ever. Keith Jackson and Marv Albert were both very good.

I’m not sure when exactly networks began putting 2 and 3 people in the broadcast booth, including color commentators to basically add additional insight and back stories to the broadcast. But I think that is the crux of the problem.

There are just too many announcers on game broadcasts who have to earn their paycheck. Often the color commentators end up talking over the game with human interest stories that aren’t particularly relevant. That’s not a knock against Megan Culmo, or any other color commentator. It’s their job.

As an old fart, I would love to see networks go back to a single announcer calling games. Unfortunately, that will most likely never happen.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I actually thinks she make an honest effort to try not to be a homer and point out the positive aspects of the opposing Team.
Homerism defined:
Johnny Most.jpg

Reaction Score
The one comment I will make is that some of us remember a time when basketball, baseball and football games were called by one announcer only. Those announcers were basically “play by play” guys whose sole function was to call the action on the court or field of play.

Many got their start in radio where it was all about painting a vivid picture of the game in the minds of their listeners. Red Barber was among the best ever. Keith Jackson and Marv Albert were both very good.

I’m not sure when exactly networks began putting 2 and 3 people in the broadcast booth, including color commentators to basically add additional insight and back stories to the broadcast. But I think that is the crux of the problem.

There are just too many announcers on game broadcasts who have to earn their paycheck. Often the color commentators end up talking over the game with human interest stories that aren’t particularly relevant. That’s not a knock against Megan Culmo, or any other color commentator. It’s their job.

As an old fart, I would love to see networks go back to a single announcer calling games. Unfortunately, that will most likely never happen.
I think you summed up the issue pretty well. Radio people "have to describe" the action the listeners can't see. TV people have it much harder, because they are trying to describe things we already saw. It is a hard job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom