Megan Culmo | The Boneyard

Megan Culmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this is a sensitive topic on the BY and may get me a ton of dislikes and much scorn.
For me, she is getting harder and harder to listen to. I just mute her mostly, but the best Womens program in history should have a better TV analyst.
I know how much she means to the UCONN WBB family and seems to be a very nice person, this is just a critique of her style.
First, can she call the game that is actually happening or on every play pretend she is the actual referee? CD makes a jumper at the foul line, Culmo states " I think she got away with a walk there".
Or a Creighton player stumbles in the lane and Culmo states, "Westbrook got away with a foul there".
Let the actual refs call the game, they are the only ones that count.
Also, you are not the coach, we make a three pointer, " That was bad offense as we were standing around" 3 points seem pretty good to me.
Lastly, I am not sure what she is seeing , an opposition three point attempt clangs 15 ft off the rim , directly to the other team..." Uconn should have hustled and got that rebound" . There wasn't a Uconn player anywhere near the ball.
I think I will maybe try what another person made a comment on and listen to Bob Joyce on the radio.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I know this is a sensitive topic on the BY and may get me a ton of dislikes and much scorn.
For me, she is getting harder and harder to listen to. I just mute her mostly, but the best Womens program in history should have a better TV analyst.
I know how much she means to the UCONN WBB family and seems to be a very nice person, this is just a critique of her style.
First, can she call the game that is actually happening or on every play pretend she is the actual referee? CD makes a jumper at the foul line, Culmo states " I think she got away with a walk there".
Or a Creighton player stumbles in the lane and Culmo states, "Westbrook got away with a foul there".
Also, you are not the coach, we make a three pointer, " That was bad offense as we were standing around" 3 points seem pretty good to me.
Lastly, I am not sure what she is seeing , an opposition three point attempt clangs 15 ft off the rim , directly to the other team..." Uconn should have hustled and got that rebound" . There wasn't a Uconn player anywhere near the ball.
I think I will maybe try what another person made a comment on and listen to Bob Joyce on the radio.
Meghan does a great job of describing what is happening. And her calls are mostly right on and honest. I think you should just cut the sound and analyse the game yourself. If you want to hear poor game analyst, watch ACC games, with the homer calls.

Reaction Score
I’m sure she gets a bunch of complaints. When UCONN is playing like they did in the first quarter last night, she doesn’t sugar coat it. She says what many are thinking. Some would rather hear only the good stuff.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with her pointing out fouls that the refs neglected to call nor mistakes that the team is making. She is certainly better than the ESPN commentators who yack about everything under the sun but the game at hand.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Meghan provides some of the most insightful color commentary of women's basketball of any that I hear on television. I find myself constantly nodding my head in agreement almost every time she breaks down a play.

She's certainly not what I would call a natural at broadcast announcing. But her knowledge of the game and if this program are so deep and well conveyed that it overcomes the few 'rough edges' that I think the OP is referring to. We and SNY are very lucky to have her.

Reaction Score
Culmo is nowhere near or will never come near ESPN commentators level of analysis ....

Reaction Score
I think there is a delay between the TV and radio broadcasts. I find this disconcerting.
If the radio feed in the Varsity app is ahead of the tv, I use pause and play to get in sync with the tv.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I like her. She knows a lot about the UConn program and the personalities. She works well with Bestwick, who is also very good. SNY as a whole is top notch.

She is a genuinely nice person. I ran into her once - we live in the same town - I was wearing my UConn hat, she noticed it and went out of her way to engage in conversation with me. Very down to earth.

Reaction Score
Agree, too much the homer

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Meghan provides some of the most insightful color commentary of women's basketball of any that I hear on television. I find myself constantly nodding my head in agreement almost every time she breaks down a play.

She's certainly not what I would call a natural at broadcast announcing. But her knowledge of the game and if this program are so deep and well conveyed that it overcomes the few 'rough edges' that I think the OP is referring to. We and SNY are very lucky to have her.
I don't think the poster is saying she's not knowledgeable, which she is. It's more about her announcement style...almost as if she's ready to suit up and jump in and show the ladies how it's done. Switch a few "WEs" to THEY and I don't think she would come across like that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A lot of UConn fans love the team but don’t really understand the game. Meg points out details that will help explain the game to them. Maybe Caroline got away with a walk; when she’s called for it next time, fans will understand why.

You may be unaware Meg was an assistant for Geno years ago. She thinks like a coach and so makes coach-like statements. She also talks to Geno and CD and knows what they would say about the game. My opinion is that the thoughts going through Geno’s head during a game are probably similar to what Meg is saying.

Reaction Score
90% of time what she says is correct. CD, Ono, Edwards, Williams travel/walk all the time. And this team in particular, has a tendency to not always hustle and play hard. There is nothing wrong with telling the truth, and there is nothing wrong with you listening to a different broadcast.

Reaction Score
Funny, while I think you’ll find something objectionable about virtually any announcer/analyst, I noticed that last night as well. Overall though, I like her. There are some that literally make me cringe as though someone was scratching a blackboard. The most annoying ones seem to be in love with their own voice! Brevity is the soul of wit!

Reaction Score
I think we need to scale back the broad brush as to people’s understanding of the game. For the person who thinks they know it best there’s always someone who has the upper hand, although egos might get in the way. I like what Culmo brings to the broadcast, but that’s all very subjective. A lot of school’s full-time announcers are real homers and I think she tries, and mostly succeeds, in calling in both ways. Bestwick is another matter - he, as was the case with Dave O’Brien, fills the airwaves with the constant retelling of the what year of college they’re in, their height and their hometown. Do some homework pal.

Reaction Score
A lot of UConn fans love the team but don’t really understand the game. Meg points out details that will help explain the game to them. Maybe Caroline got away with a walk; when she’s called for it next time, fans will understand why.

You may be unaware Meg was an assistant for Geno years ago. She thinks like a coach and so makes coach-like statements. She also talks to Geno and CD and knows what they would say about the game. My opinion is that the thoughts going through Geno’s head during a game are probably similar to what Meg is saying.
I respect your " 2 cents", lol

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Culmo is nowhere near or will never come near ESPN commentators level of analysis ....
Thank goodness.

The only thing that really bothers me about SNY, besides the fact I can't get it or record it (so I have to watch it live or wait til the next day to see a game :mad:) is the camera work. Pisses me off all the time. At least a few times a game we are watching someone in the stands or closeup on the coach while a play is being made. Then we get a replay of the play we missed while we miss another play going on. Their Technical Director or Camera Producer (or whatever they call it) is horrible. Just horrible. (And I hope you read this, you mindless idiot. ) ( I yell at the TV more for this than at the refs for calling traveling or 3 seconds.)

soapbox-mega-soap.gif

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bestwick is another matter - he, as was the case with Dave O’Brien, fills the airwaves with the constant retelling of the what year of college they’re in, their height and their hometown. Do some homework pal.
I like Bestwick fine and announcer preference is a personal matter. To me, comparing someone to Dave O'Brien is as bad as it gets. Just to date myself more, O'Brien is what you get if Ted Baxter did play-by-play.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I like her although I agree she sometimes complains that the other team is hustling UConn on rebounds that bounce away from the UConn players who had no chance at the rebound. However, that is minor. Many announcers who call games on a school's network or works for a team are going to sound like they favor the home team. I see many games from all over the country from all P5 conferences except the Pac 12, and Meghan does not come close to being as hard to listen to than many of them are. Just listen to that Mary lady from the Pac 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom