McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 4 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maryland hired him as they transitioned to the Big 10 and an immediate upgrade in competition. That being said he needed locksley to recruit well there

Reaction Score
I could make a great argument for a bunch of coaches, but since it's an Edsall thread, then here goes.

-He'll be here until he retires. So we get stability with him.

-I have little doubt that he will be successful, he basically designed the program and the facilities. I doubt they have been leveraged to full effect since he left.

-He tends to hire competent assistants. Look at how many of his guys are prospering as coordinators throughout the sport.

-I don't care who we hire. We're not going to recruit 4-5 stars until we cheat. So we need solid evaluators of 2-3 star level talent and solid coaches to develop them. His track record in that dept is pretty much as good as it gets.

Reaction Score
@ktuck911 are you sure you watched the same UConn football teams I did? Edsall's D is just like Diaco's minus the 3-4 set. The ONLY time he let Orlando set up a game plan was when they smacked South Carolina in Birmingham at the papa John's Bowl.

Which was weird, because I specifically remember him saying after that game that they blitzed a lot because he knew that was something they needed to start doing to take the next step as a program. Then we didn't see it next year, though to be fair we obviously had success the next season

Reaction Score
I'm conflicted.
I hated the way he left. I hated him constantly blaming execution of the players on every loss.

I have never seen a coach throw more players under the bus. The notion Edsall will bring UConn back to respectability is ridiculous. A lot has changed since he was the coach here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I have never seen a coach throw more players under the bus. The notion Edsall will bring UConn back to respectability is ridiculous. A lot has changed since he was the coach here.
Okay, but our recently departed coach never met a bad play or player. Everything was great all of the time, particularly the play of the players. Pass the love.

Reaction Score
We have to do better than RE at this time.
The more years that pass the less a militaryesque conservative RE coaching style resonates with players in recruiting and on the field this day and age.

Sure he could wins some games.
I can't see him putting new fanny's in the seats or recruit players that would make him thing he could change his conservative style( I think he explained his conservative approach to the players skill set at one point late in his tenure at UConn)

He coached UConn when we had time and no expectations. We have the leisure of neither this time around.
I would hate him as head coach and I think it would be a very weak hire by DB.
I would however not hate him as a coordinator. I do like his ability to evaluate and develop talent.

Reaction Score
I guess MD's is 7.

Schiano won 11 in NJ State. UConn can win more than 8.

I personally, would be happy to see Randy come back. We might not go to another Fiesta Bowl, but I have no doubt we'll be bowling most years.

Edsall won ore than 8 here.

Edsall failed big time at Maryland. I'm not asking for him to be rehired -- I would have to understand much better than I do why he failed at Maryland so badly to consider it. But I firmly believe -- always have -- that people have thought what he achieved here was easy when it was exremely difficult, and that it's just as likely that future coaches achieve at the P/Diacco levels than the Edsall levels. But feel free to just go on blaming bad hiring (not you SDH). People want us to hire a Calhoun -- it's incredibly unlikely.

Reaction Score
Christ read the comments from Edsall after he was s$&t canned from Maryland he sounds like Diaco. "We made the program better, developing kids, etc.".

Goodness this is a bad idea, he's not close to Bill Snyder (I say they from experience of watching KSU ALOT from my time in KC) and if Edsall is the "home run" hire I guess i'"" have to adjust my expectations going forward.

He made few friends at UM and had a middling record. He played the role of hard ass football guy to the t. He was like Coughlin before Coighlon got the message that it wasn't 1960 any longer and it was ok to let players have a personality.

Reaction Score
Yeah, would really suck the energy out of a program by bringing back the guy who won our league twice in his last four seasons.

Everyone wants a shiny new toy and that's exactly what Diaco was. Once Randy got us going wed be at the top of the AAC every season.

Agee 100%

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Edsall is likly to get this job because i) they can afford him, ii) he's an adult who wont be learning on the job, iii) he is proven at assembling a staff, iv) he's going to pitch the administration that he'll stay for life - not looking to job hop. Randy knows his opportunities beyond this job are not very good.

Unless Moorhead or Miles come barging through the door, I think its Edsall. The problem with the former choices - $$ - if they are at all interested.

Reaction Score
Don't say that. You'll get @businesslawyer aroused. He loves those guys.

Edsall basically won the MAC without being in the MAC. His style works in a mid major setting but falls short in the high major setting.

I think he's great when he's mining high schools for under the radar types. He sucks when he has to hit above that weight class. He can go 9-3 in the AAC.

That, by the way, is quite plausible. But it would be an argument for why he could succeed here -- the athletes you need to beat Clemson and Michigan State just might not be willing to be controlled the way that the athletes you need to beat Cincy and USF are.

Reaction Score
Come on back and let's win some football games like we used to.

I'd be psyched
For the life of me, in all seriousness, I fail to see the attraction of this guy. Win some football games? Diaco did that. I'd like to win a lot of football games. Don't believe Edsall is the coach to do that. If these donors as some have postulated put money up to get rid of Diaco and in return get their wish to have Edsall come back, then we as the fans are in a lot of trouble.

Reaction Score
We obviously don't know the list of potentials that DB can select from, but a RE hire seems to me like trying to hit a double. He's a safe pick and would improve the team, but can he make UConn good enough to merit inclusion in a real conference? Perhaps. That's got to be the main criterion for DB.

Reaction Score
From a players standpoint I've heard Edsall is a mixed bag. Some guys really liked him and respected him as a coach and others absolutely hated his guts. I'm indifferent to this hire, but I hope he's more like Plan C instead of plan A or B.

It would be nice, though, if he came in as HC and could swing Andrew Breiner here as his OC.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The guys with the deep pockets like him apparently. Sux tho.

And I will wait a couple years to buy tix again if Edsall is the guy.
You mean the guys with deep pockets who know jack sh&t about college football in 2017!?!? This would just basically be the official beginning of the end of big-time college football here in Connecticut folks. You can quote me on that!

Worst thing that could happen to us is bringing that jackass back here. He left the team on the tarmac in Arizona, and he'll do it again. Screw Edsall, and I'm happy his "dream job" worked out so well. Enjoy the Lion and retirement Randy.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You mean the guys with deep pockets who know jack sh&t about college football in 2017!?!? This would just basically be the official beginning of the end of big-time college football here in Connecticut folks. You can quote me on that!

Worst thing that could happen to us is bringing that jackass back here. He left the team on the tarmac in Arizona, and he'll do it again. Screw Edsall, and I'm happy his "dream job" worked out so well. Enjoy the Lion and retirement Randy.

Diaco was the beginning of the end of big time football. Randy can't make it worse.

Reaction Score
Remember when Edsall coached UConn? That was cool.

chrisfarleyshow-e1417622912394.jpg

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Diaco was the beginning of the end of big time football. Randy can't make it worse.
I'd rather still have Diaco to be completely honest. If all we were going to do was basically admit we're small-time and quit then I'd rather just keep him here for his 4th year.

Reaction Score
Name one player he threw under the bus. Just one. He talked a lot about needing to execute better and in particular the first play against Navy at the Rent when the secondary bit on the fake after being coached up all week to watch the fake on the first play. But he never threw a player under the bus.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Foley would be my first hire... after I settled on getting the very best experienced OC I could possibly bring in...

If it is Edsall (which I am hoping it is not), look for him to bring back Lyndon Johnson immediately as Associate HC, ST Coordinator, and Recruiting Coordinator. Lyndon is a UConn lifer before being the only coach to follow RE to Maryland. He is currrntly at Towson with Ambrose. He was our recruiting Coordinator at UConn during the peak of our recruiting success (early 2000s on).

Although while I am vehemently against bringing FHCSTBHCRE back, part of me would enjoy watching the fireworks it would cause with the CT HS coaches--he is the anti-PP in that regard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom