McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall, is Al Groh, Glen Mason esqe.

8-5, is about your ceiling with a chance at 9-3. 5-7, is your floor with a chance at 4-8. You'll almost always be competitive. He will tell fans they have no right to have expectations (he did), he will blame every loss on lack of execution by the players. He will break his arm patting himself on the back and praising the coaches when they win, see the ND on field post game interview.

After the last two coaches, I welcome him back, but I'm not running to renew tickets until I see he has a plan in place for the offense that is different than what he had here last time.

It is far more likely that 8-5 is UConn's cieling than Edsall's.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I guess MD's is 7.

Schiano won 11 in NJ State. UConn can win more than 8.

I personally, would be happy to see Randy come back. We might not go to another Fiesta Bowl, but I have no doubt we'll be bowling most years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Come on back and let's win some football games like we used to.

I'd be psyched

The goal is to get to a point of respectability where we're winning some games and, as importantly, filling the stands, right? So that we look attractive the next time CR presents an opportunity? So, in that regard, the "old days" don't look so bad.

My concern is the AAC. UConn played in the freaking Fiesta Bowl because of the Big East. Can he recruit the players he needs to compete? Maybe.

Reaction Score
I think if Edsel is coming back it's because a couple big donors wanted him back, no?

I have no idea. They are foolish if they want him again. He squandered a great opportunity at Maryland. The Maryland donors/fans were happy to see him go.

Reaction Score
Really, after want we just sawesome at Maryland it is likely both their ceilings. The right Coach wins anywhere. Look at Mike leach and Mike Price. Both won big at Washington State.

Reaction Score
Upside - he'll get us playing aggressive style football.. making plays on D... downside - offense won't be great but the one positive is we can sure as heck (and will) run the football...AND one final positive - SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

Edsall addresses all facets of the game unlike his potential predecessor Diaco....

So, as much as I actually don't think I want him back, Edsall knows UConn. He got his start here... Now, maybe, just maybe, he has more tools now than he did 5/6 years ago to finish what he started...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The one thing we could always, or almost always count on with Randy, is we would win the games we were supposed to win. Not many WTF games.

He did go 9-3 one year, so there's that. :)
He went 9-3 more than once.

Reaction Score
south-park-s20e01-member-berries_16x9.jpg

Member when... we used to go .500 in conference?
Member when... we used to win 7-8 games every year?
Member when... we had a competent O-line?

I would love to set the bar higher than Edsall, but after this 6-year nightmare I would kill for 8 wins and a mediocre/decent bowl game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Randy knows building a staff, managing a staff, winning the x ands os on the field and managing young men. The only question is whether he can up the recruiting a notch in order to be less dependent on finding diamonds in the rough.

Another thought, Edsall maybe angling that he's the guy to get back to 9 win seasons and won't leave for the next gig. He's probably pitching that he'll coach here ten years and then retire, so I'll be your last hire - you won't be doing this again.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall, is Al Groh, Glen Mason esqe.

8-5, is about your ceiling with a chance at 9-3. 5-7, is your floor with a chance at 4-8. You'll almost always be competitive. He will tell fans they have no right to have expectations (he did), he will blame every loss on lack of execution by the players. He will break his arm patting himself on the back and praising the coaches when they win, see the ND on field post game interview.

After the last two coaches, I welcome him back, but I'm not running to renew tickets until I see he has a plan in place for the offense that is different than what he had here last time.

Don't say that. You'll get @businesslawyer aroused. He loves those guys.

Edsall basically won the MAC without being in the MAC. His style works in a mid major setting but falls short in the high major setting.

I think he's great when he's mining high schools for under the radar types. He sucks when he has to hit above that weight class. He can go 9-3 in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Upside - he'll get us playing aggressive style football.. making plays on D... downside - offense won't be great but the one positive is we can sure as heck (and will) run the football...AND one final positive - SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

Edsall addresses all facets of the game unlike his potential predecessor Diaco....

So, as much as I actually don't think I want him back, Edsall knows UConn. He got his start here... Now, maybe, just maybe, he has more tools now than he did 5/6 years ago to finish what he started...
@ktuck911 are you sure you watched the same UConn football teams I did? Edsall's D is just like Diaco's minus the 3-4 set. The ONLY time he let Orlando set up a game plan was when they smacked South Carolina in Birmingham at the papa John's Bowl.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
would anyone be surprised ot see Randy win the conference in year 4?

Reaction Score
Lol @ people bringing up Bill Snyder and Petrino in regards to Edsall. They aren't even in the same coaching Universe. This would be about the most uninspired hire and I think some fans would check out.

Reaction Score
I'm conflicted.
I hated the way he left. I hated him constantly blaming execution of the players on every loss.

However, we were far from the laughingstock we are now when Edsall was in charge. I was also in ND when Edsall (and Foley's) offensive line basically pushed ND around like a rag doll. For all the talk about how ground and pound is boring, we grounded and pounded the hell out of ND in the 4th quarter and OT and it was the most exhilarating win I ever saw in person. They had absolutely no answers for us. I sure didn't feel bored on that night.

I'd love this hire if Edsall had an open mind offensively. But I guess worst case scenario if he came here calling the shots, and still bored us to 7 or 8 wins every year until the time the B1G starts the next conference realignment earthquake, I guess I could sign up for it.

Conflicted, funny how that word is still around even after Diaco.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lol @ people bringing up Bill Snyder and Petrino in regards to Edsall. They aren't even in the same coaching Universe. This would be about the most uninspired hire and I think some fans would check out.
You mean, the fans that just checked back in 24 hrs ago would check back out?

Reaction Score
Don't say that. You'll get @businesslawyer aroused. He loves those guys.

Edsall basically won the MAC without being in the MAC. His style works in a mid major setting but falls short in the high major setting.

I think he's great when he's mining high schools for under the radar types. He sucks when he has to hit above that weight class. He can go 9-3 in the AAC.

It took a lot of pain, but I knew you'd come around. If he's hired, I'm going to miss our back and forth. Actually, no I'm not....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom