McGraw on Loyd | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McGraw on Loyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm not upset with Muffet's responses in the pieced together video. Her best player blind sided her. Muffet's reaction/ words are normal and to be expected.

As to Loyd, I wish her well and hope she returns to ND to finish her degree.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I don't get the problem of the "hour after the final". The season is over, and now the coach and team have months to regroup
for the next season knowing what they know. Emphasizing the "low" salary in the WNBA is so misleading, when it covers a small part of the whole year, with other opportunities thereafter. That she is the same age as those finishing their senior year may have been a factor
for her also. It seems like hubris to predict her dire future.

Reaction Score
While I understand Muffet's feelings, I think it was a mistake to express them publicly the way that she did. A simple "No, I didn't know and wish she had discussed it with me first. I'm not sure it is the right move for her but I wish her well and thank her for all she has done for ND" would have put her and the program in a better light.

If I were a recruit, I would be a bit concerned about the atmosphere at ND after hearing about one player leaving the team for a while and another ending her ND career without apparently feeling comfortable enough to talk to the coaching staff.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I suspect some of Muffet's bitterness comes from embarrassment that she was not more in tune with her star player. Between this and the Reimer episode earlier in the year it would appear Muffet doesn't have the pulse of her key players, nor is she apparently a trusted career mentor in the way that the great men's coaches are in the current 'one and done' era.

I agree.

Although being completely sympathetic and non-judgemental about her remarks (in the other thread),
there is surely some disconnect between the staff and the team now that two star players have opted to leave during the same season (one changed her mind).
Or is it possible that campus life there is not quite as bucolic as it is cranked up to be.

I haven't seen many reactions from former teammates…Achonwa seemed understanding, Devereaux Peters most surely not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Muffet was so mouthy about being classy last year, one would think she would have taken the classy road here. Loyd owes her nothing.

Reaction Score
It's easy to understand how Muffet feels, but as a high school coach who has good players either transfer to another school or just decide not to play, I just think ther's nothing to do, but wish them well and move on. I have never tried to talk them into changing their mind or made them feel bad about leaving. That being said the stakes are different and I don't have reporters chasing me around for comments.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well - I'll just relate something from my father - he had the option to complete his college degree in 3 years and took it. For as long as I can remember he said it was the worst decision he made in his life. He did go on to post grad degrees, but he really felt he had short changed himself (and he wasn't on scholarship but paying the bill himself.) That attitude regarding the value of education is something ingrained in people who work at universities and at all levels of teaching from kindergarten on. Men's coaches in MBB and FB, with the requirement to win at all costs to maintain employment, have become inured to that because for their stars, if they have them for two years in BB and 3 years in FB they consider it a victory (and if they actual attend classes and complete course work!) Women's coaches have not had to deal with that pressure to succeed to the same degree, nor with the attrition rate that has become a fact of life on the men's side.

And if you want Geno's feelings on education - DT was banned from returning to Uconn for practice or to hang out until she completed her course work and got her degree. I have no idea of what Geno's public reaction would be if a player left after only three years, but I am pretty sure his private reaction would be unprintable. I suspect his public reaction would be, like most of his public statements, pretty brutally honest.

Add into the equation a meeting 3 weeks or a month prior to the NC game in which the opposite choice was reportedly stated, the then public statements based on that meeting made by both Muffet and an ND administration figure, and being a little less than pleased in public statements is not surprising.

This really is not men's sports - the $ is not the same, and the academic integrity of women's athletes tends to be higher than for men. And all women's athletes except the absolute top end face the requirement of earning a living for 30+/- years at the end of their playing careers. And success in the college game is no guarantee of success in the pros - there have been a number of fizzled careers of high draft picks. Every year a new crop of talent becomes available and jobs are not that plentiful in any sport. And completing a year of college while playing 12 months a year to earn that $200+K salary leaves little time for the coursework.

People forget that the men's players that leave used to be referred to as 'hardship' cases (not sure if that language is still in the rules.) If Jewel's decision is truly a 'hardship' case, then I have no problem with it. but unless the hardship appeared in the last 4 weeks, the earlier 'reported' meeting seems disingenuous.

And I have no problem with Muffet's reaction - I do not remember what CViv's reaction was when her player left a year early, but don't think it was laughs and giggles. As I recall she was pretty annoyed. This was not a press release that can be carefully worded and sanitized, this was a live mike in an informal setting and off the cuff. And it may not have been PC, but it was honest.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think it was disappointment from both sides.....Jewell making the decision 1-hour after the NC loss ; and Muffet simply because of the loss of a key player. Both were hurt and disappointed. People say things when they are hurting. I would have liked to have seen her stay and complete her Degree and play another year but its her decision and I hope she is making a good one.

I wish her the Best.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's easy to understand how Muffet feels, but as a high school coach who has good players either transfer to another school or just decide not to play, I just think ther's nothing to do, but wish them well and move on. I have never tried to talk them into changing their mind or made them feel bad about leaving. That being said the stakes are different and I don't have reporters chasing me around for comments.
And the situation is different as well - most coaches treat transfers as a necessary evil - a few get nasty about the process, though those nasty situations tend to be generated by ADs and not coaches, and often include a suspicion of tampering. I am sure if one of your players decided to drop out of school and go to work, you would spend some time trying to convince them to stay in school and get their high school diploma.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Folks here pretty much know I do not like Muffet, to put it mildly. However, I do not see a "bitter" Muffet in that interview as so many here and on McGraw's Bench do . I think it fair to say she's still processing what happened; still coming to grips with it. I saw honesty and disappointment. What was she suppose to say: "No comment?" She had already released her formal wish her well comments days before.

Reaction Score
I'm not upset with Muffet's responses in the pieced together video. Her best player blind sided her. Muffet's reaction/ words are normal and to be expected.

As to Loyd, I wish her well and hope she returns to ND to finish her degree.
Her reaction wasn't too bitter IMO. Just honest in that she thought she should finish her ND degree and that she didn't have a chance to discuss it with her.

Reaction Score
I think that Muffet gave honest answers to the difficult questions that she was asked and is to be commended for being so forthright. Now. let's see the kind of answers that Jewell Loyd gives to (hopefully) equally direct questions, perhaps at tonight's draft. It will be interesting to learn the factors that went into her decision to leave ND for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
And the situation is different as well - most coaches treat transfers as a necessary evil - a few get nasty about the process, though those nasty situations tend to be generated by ADs and not coaches, and often include a suspicion of tampering. I am sure if one of your players decided to drop out of school and go to work, you would spend some time trying to convince them to stay in school and get their high school diploma.
I might depending on the situation. I certainly would if they asked me for my advice. But I guess what I'm trying to say is just because I coach a player it doesn't necessarily mean I know what's best for them in all their life choices. So, I would have to be pretty careful that my advice wasn't colored by what is best for me and my team. In the cases I've dealt with the past 12 years, I've asked them if they were sure about their decision and told them to let me know if they changed their mind, but otherwise I've repected their decision to leave the team. As you say leaving the school is not the same as leaving the team, but Jewel is 22 years old. I think Muffet knows that Jewel has already thought through what leaving means. Once she's already decided to go, stating publicly that she made the wrong decision doesn't seem to me to serve any useful purpose.

Reaction Score
I don't think Muffett comes off as bitter at all, I think she comes off as surprised, upset, betrayed and somewhat maternal and protective.

Agreed. This is a young woman with whom she has had a relationship. Leaving may or may not be a bad decision; being up front about the thought process seems to me to be something to strive for in that relationship.

Who knows if it's a "good" or a "bad" decision? There are really no mistakes when kids make decisions. There are only learning experiences. Well, that's what I always tell my high school seniors.

Reaction Score
The entitlement that some of these coaches have regarding these kids is pretty bizarre to me. Loyd is going to get paid, and she can finish her degree later; how is this not the right move for her?

Reaction Score
The entitlement that some of these coaches have regarding these kids is pretty bizarre to me. Loyd is going to get paid, and she can finish her degree later; how is this not the right move for her?

Money is not the only factor in all people's decisions.

Reaction Score
Money is not the only factor in all people's decisions.

Sure, but it's obviously a factor in Loyd's decision, so why is she wrong for leaving early? She's old enough, and there's only so much time you can earn money as an athlete. Why spend that time working for free for Muffet McGraw, of all people?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I might depending on the situation. I certainly would if they asked me for my advice. But I guess what I'm trying to say is just because I coach a player it doesn't necessarily mean I know what's best for them in all their life choices. So, I would have to be pretty careful that my advice wasn't colored by what is best for me and my team. In the cases I've dealt with the past 12 years, I've asked them if they were sure about their decision and told them to let me know if they changed their mind, but otherwise I've repected their decision to leave the team. As you say leaving the school is not the same as leaving the team, but Jewel is 22 years old. I think Muffet knows that Jewel has already thought through what leaving means. Once she's already decided to go, stating publicly that she made the wrong decision doesn't seem to me to serve any useful purpose.
I think add into the equation that the choice based on the reported change from three weeks earlier was a major life choice made in a quite busy three week period. One hopes those sorts of decisions are well thought out over time - this one seems pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom