McDonalds AA game

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
DZak8oWXcAEd416.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I really dont see ono playing much next year unless she had a great summer,unless we need her height,she needs alot of work for the next level
You can never judge a player’s overall ability on one game. Young players are often inconsistent and they play poor defense. Postnplayers always take longer to develop anyway. Give her a chance. Besides, I didn’t see what you did. I saw lots of raw potential with, importantly, a good motor.

Reaction Score
I would add in patience (no panic) to her game also. She also good enough at initiating the offense that she can be back up PG. CW is going to play a lot next year.
I not only think she will play a lot next year, I think she will slide into Kia's spot as the off guard. She has the basketball skills and strong makeup, that she may well become "legendary". Her will and confidence remind me of DT.
AZ obviously will start and be huge!
The biggest obvious change is we are losing out two best defensive players, but with time while they will improve defensively, with MW as first sub in, they just might be better offensively.
A lot will happen from now to then!
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Megan Walker better really bust her behind this summer or she will be watching Williams start the games.
Agree completely.
Also MW is not a guard she's a slashing small forward so for her to start, either she or KLS has to move over. While this can work, you then have two players (and your best one) playing out of their most familiar and comfortable position.
Maybe having MW as first sub, brings a lot with it!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. We lose 2 starters and gain two freshmen.

Next year's lineup should be:

Dangerfield
Williams/Walker
Lou
Collier
Stevens

with Walker/Williams and ONO first off the bench. Camara will also get frontcourt minutes. There's your 8 who play in meaningful games, dependent on MW getting her head on straight and the two freshmen being more ready to play than our freshmen have been lately. They should all get 20+ mpg.
Think you are right on!
Bronx23

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I not only think she will play a lot next year, I think she will slide into Kia's spot as the off guard. She has the basketball skills and strong makeup, that she may well become "legendary". Her will and confidence remind me of DT.
I think Ono or Bataly will take over Williams spot.
The biggest obvious change is we are losing out two best defensive players, but with time while they will improve defensively, with MW as first sub in, they just might be better offensively.
Bronx23
Geno doesn’t usually start freshmen unless he has no choice. Even his superstars came off the bench as freshmen until injury pushed them into a starting role.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn’t usually start freshmen unless he has no choice. Even his superstars came off the bench as freshmen until injury pushed them into a starting role.
Judging from this game, I think Williams and Ododa are two of the most talented recruits UConn has ever had. Neither played like incoming freshman. With MW as a seasoned soph and KLS coming back for her senior year, things look bright.

Reaction Score
Judging from this game, I think Williams and Ododa are two of the most talented recruits UConn has ever had. Neither played like incoming freshman. With MW as a seasoned soph and KLS coming back for her senior year, things look bright.

it's the 2019 and 2020 classes that will tell the story regarding UConn's future dominance..........Boston and Jones or Brunelle are must gets and then the great guards Beuckers or Van Lith and either Watson, Brink or Marshall

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
it's the 2019 and 2020 classes that will tell the story regarding UConn's future dominance.....Boston and Jones or Brunelle are must gets and then the great guards Beuckers or Van Lith and either Watson, Brink or Marshall

Is that a group order or a la carte ;)?

There have been so many posts this month (naturally, it's March) that I can't recall an excellent post Coco had about how many prospects UConn would go after per year. The reason I ask is I wonder how many of these folks Geno would realistically go after. Of course, some of 2020 that depends on what happens with the Class of 2019.

In watching the three on three championships, I made note of how Van Lith really is 5'7", but she's built strongly and maneuvers herself thru traffic well. And I was reintroduced to the expert shooting of Maddie Burke, who has kind of fallen by the wayside. Speaking of excellent guards, Ali Campbell just led her team to a Pa. State Championship (granted, a smaller division but a championship nonetheless). She's 6'0" tall now. Will be interested in how she fares with the Philly Blue Belles and Maddie Burke, Kylee Watson, etc.

Reaction Score
Is that a group order or a la carte ;)?

There have been so many posts this month (naturally, it's March) that I can't recall an excellent post Coco had about how many prospects UConn would go after per year. The reason I ask is I wonder how many of these folks Geno would realistically go after. Of course, some of 2020 that depends on what happens with the Class of 2019.

Will be interested in how she fares with the Philly Blue Belles and Maddie Burke, Kylee Watson, etc.

that's a la carte..................I'm just too lazy to do the math as far as available scholarships but two to three player classes each year sounds about right....................yes Burke and Parrish have been overshadowed by the big three '20 guards but they should also be top notch players.............

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Z comes back ready to claim her spot as starting center and is at AA caliber, you will be looking at one of the best front lines (Lou at SF) possible ever. Lou and Pheesa showed they can average 20+ a game. Add in a healthy Crystal Dangerfield at point and regardless of the other starter I think we will be blowing out plenty of teams. Anyway, my hope at least....
I've said in a couple of threads, with KLS, Collier and Stevens as SRs and Dangerfield at PG, add in pretty much anyone from here on the BY and UCONN would have a decent shot at a FF/NC caliber year.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I think Geno will have no choice next year. He returns 5 of his 7 player rotation (being generous to Walker) who generally played the lion's share of minutes in the "tough" games. Next season who shall play positions 6 and 7? 8? Irwin? Bent? McCombs? Gordon? Or Williams if she learns defense? Or a fast tracked big, ONO, who is needed to back up Azura? I'm betting on Williams and ONO. Geno will have no choice because the others have not shown much progress. Well, Irwin has shown some progress and may take a few more positive steps forward. Geno needs another starter. Walker has the inside track but Williams will push her. Walker had better not assume the fifth starter slot is hers by default.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Williams was very impressive in this game. Not unlike Moore and Stewart you could tell who the Alpha was on the floor. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Others that impressed me were Egbo, Madison Williams, and Prince. They all really stood out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't recall an excellent post Coco had about how many prospects UConn would go after per year. The reason I ask is I wonder how many of these folks Geno would realistically go after. Of course, some of 2020 that depends on what happens with the Class of 2019.

that's a la carte...I'm just too lazy to do the math as far as available scholarships but two to three player classes each year sounds about right.....yes Burke and Parrish have been overshadowed by the big three '20 guards but they should also be top notch players...

UCONN "ideal" roster size has been 12-13 historically. The "rotation" depending on the year and talent level is 6-9. These two assumptions says that at a minimum UCONN will need to add 3 "rotation" players in 2019.

upload_2018-3-29_10-14-44.png

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I've said in a couple of threads, with KLS, Collier and Stevens as SRs and Dangerfield at PG, add in pretty much anyone from here on the BY and UCONN would have a decent shot at a FF/NC caliber year.
To me, ND, Baylor, Oregon and UConn are far ahead of everyone next year in both experience and talent. Next tier is Oregon St, Louisville, Texas and Stanford to name 8 schools. Tennessee probably will vie with Baylor for the most McD's AA's but they will be young-only freshman and sophs and will still be coached/not-coached by Holly so their ups and downs will continue.

Who did I miss?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Williams was very impressive in this game. Not unlike Moore and Stewart you could tell who the Alpha was on the floor. Head and shoulders above the rest.
Others that impressed me were Egbo, Madison Williams, and Prince. They all really stood out.
I thought Emily Engstler also stood out especially early in the game or maybe she just surprised me.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker better really bust her behind this summer or she will be watching Williams start the games.
Meagan shot the ball as well or better than Williams in High School. As long as C doesn't get similar yips (ie. Meagan starting thinking and hesitating before shots), she will definitely press for minutes. On other hand, expect Meagan to show similar improvement and confidence as Danger . Should be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
AZ obviously will start and be huge!
Bronx23
Predict her minutes will all be relative to her fitness. Appears to have the offensive and defensive skills but no frosh seems to understand how fast Geno practices.

Reaction Score
Meagan shot the ball as well or better than Williams in High School. As long as C doesn't get similar yips (ie. Meagan starting thinking and hesitating before shots), she will definitely press for minutes. On other hand, expect Meagan to show similar improvement and confidence as Danger . Should be fun to watch.
Funny. I thought the very opposite. I thought the (completely unjustified) knock on her in high school was that she wasn't a great shot. And at UConn Meg never hesitated to shoot: rather, occasionally she took an ill-advised shot, earning her more bench time. But we do agree on her sophomore progress.

What really stands out for me about CW is her rebounding (12 ribbies!). That she can get in among the trees and snatch so many boards says a huge amount about her strength and ball instincts. Think about Crystal, who at 5'5" gets 3-4 boards/game for the same reason. But CW is 6" taller and that puts her in a whole other category. Crystal's rebounds are pure profit for the team, but CW's will be essential. And, this gives UConn tremendous flexibility, because, while she's an obvious 2 guard, she can easily play the wing as well. Heck, with her instincts, she can when necessary switch on the 4 or 5 and still be expected to defend/rebound. There is no substitute for height, and, since Stewie, UConn has been vertically challenged. We'll have to see how much ONO can contribute her first year. But there are plenty of pieces now that can compensate.

In her interview (was it the one after the game or at half?) CW said she needed to work on defense this summer. Too bad Gabby isn't around this summer. She would have been the perfect player to school her. But I imagine Meg will be a motivated opponent!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me, ND, Baylor, Oregon and UConn are far ahead of everyone next year in both experience and talent. Next tier is Oregon St, Louisville, Texas and Stanford to name 8 schools. Tennessee probably will vie with Baylor for the most McD's AA's but they will be young-only freshman and sophs and will still be coached/not-coached by Holly so their ups and downs will continue.
Who did I miss?
Florida State. FSU loses a lot in White, Wright, and Thomas but they also gain a lot. #4 recruiting class which includes two players (Nicoletti & Myers) that played in 2018 McDonalds AA game. Myers is a USA basketball caliber player. FSU 2018 recruiting class also includes former UCONN prospect Amaya Brown and one of the more dynamic guards in the class in Morgan Jones out of Georgia. Add to all that Connecticut's own Kiah Gillespie and former 2016 McDonalds AA who transferred form MD to FSU last year becomes eligible. That is a lot of tools to for Sue to work with and Sue is a damn good coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom