McDonalds AA game | Page 8 | The Boneyard

McDonalds AA game

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
To me, ND, Baylor, Oregon and UConn are far ahead of everyone next year in both experience and talent. Next tier is Oregon St, Louisville, Texas and Stanford to name 8 schools. Tennessee probably will vie with Baylor for the most McD's AA's but they will be young-only freshman and sophs and will still be coached/not-coached by Holly so their ups and downs will continue.

Who did I miss?
Yes those teams are the most talented teams. I think Stanford will be one of the top teams. Tennessee will be a young team. Notre Dame with a healthy roster will be really good.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Offensively, I believe UConn will be fine, next season. But losing the nation's two best defensive players has to have some impact on the Huskies' fortunes. :(
You are totally correct indeed, but I'd like to point out a few things...

We do tend to say that every single season when we lose great players. How will we "replace" Stef and Bria? KML and Stokes? Tuck, Jefferson, and Stewart? The answer is that we don't ever really "replace" them, but rather add new dimensions to the team for the following season.

What Gabby and Kia do for the team cannot be overstated. But it's clear that in big games, while Geno has finally come to trust Megan a bit more, we really still only go 6.5 deep. But next year our genetics will be different. Maybe worse, maybe better. Z WILL improve over the summer and will be a starter. Meg WILL improve over the summer and either she will start or Christyn will. We will have a healthy ONO, Mikayla and Batouly on the bench so that means that Geno will have the ability to go a legit 9 deep.

When we had Stokes, we had a huge goalie/shot blocker on defense. When she left, the team had to learn to excel at help defense. Right now they are VERY good at it. IF Z can learn to keep her arms straight up and not "jump" into offensive players taking shots, SHE Can be that defensive stopper as well. That means not only will our help defense be great, but also we will have a skilled shot blocker to mop up any mistakes. We don't have that now.

My overall point is that we can't replace any great players who leave, but the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. Lou, Gabby, Crystal, Z, Megan and Batouly will ALL improve next season. I hope Mikayla gets healthy soon because I think she has the ability to be part of the core group as well.

The future's so bright, we gotta wear shades!! :cool:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Florida State. FSU loses a lot in White, Wright, and Thomas but they also gain a lot. #4 recruiting class which includes two players (Nicoletti & Myers) that played in 2018 McDonalds AA game. Myers is a USA basketball caliber player. FSU 2018 recruiting class also includes former UCONN prospect Amaya Brown and one of the more dynamic guards in the class in Morgan Jones out of Georgia. Add to all that Connecticut's own Kiah Gillespie and former 2016 McDonalds AA who transferred form MD to FSU last year becomes eligible. That is a lot of tools to for Sue to work with and Sue is a damn good coach.

Beat me to the keyboard on that one, Coco. And the year after Sue's got Wing Sammie Puisis (remember her) and center River Baldwin aboard. Sue is stockpiling well and, as you know, she also does player development.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Meagan shot the ball as well or better than Williams in High School. As long as C doesn't get similar yips (ie. Meagan starting thinking and hesitating before shots), she will definitely press for minutes. On other hand, expect Meagan to show similar improvement and confidence as Danger . Should be fun to watch.
Not really. There were of a few of us here @Sluconn Husky among them that were tracking Megan's shooting percentage in HS. We became concerned because Megan's FG% was pretty low. Christyn FG% on the other hand was off the charts when last posted.
Megan Walker's High School Girls Basketball Stats
Christyn Williams' High School Girls Basketball Stats
BTW Megan's UCONN shooting percentages are very similar to her HS shooting percentages.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes those teams are the most talented teams. I think Stanford will be one of the top teams. Tennessee will be a young team. Notre Dame with a healthy roster will be really good.

Of the 7 active scholarship players they currently have, ND loses high post Kat Westbeld (the only starter) and low post Koko Nelson (first sub off the bench).

But -- knock on wood -- Brianna Turner will be back healthy and raring to go at the low post, offering us defensive backstops and rebounding. And Mik Vaughn will take the Nelson role. Jess Shepard will probably move on offense to the Kat Westbeld role (which she'll personalize to her strengths) and all the guards will be back: Arike Ogunbowale, Jackie Young and Marina Mabrey. They'll be augmented by frosh Katlyn Gilbert, Abby Prohaska and Jordan Nixon.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Florida State. FSU loses a lot in White, Wright, and Thomas but they also gain a lot. #4 recruiting class which includes two players (Nicoletti & Myers) that played in 2018 McDonalds AA game. Myers is a USA basketball caliber player. FSU 2018 recruiting class also includes former UCONN prospect Amaya Brown and one of the more dynamic guards in the class in Morgan Jones out of Georgia. Add to all that Connecticut's own Kiah Gillespie and former 2016 McDonalds AA who transferred form MD to FSU last year becomes eligible. That is a lot of tools to for Sue to work with and Sue is a damn good coach.

Wright and Thomas were the whole show for Florida State. I'm sure Sue will cobble something together but I expect them to take a substantial step back, at least for one year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Of the 7 active scholarship players they currently have, ND loses high post Kat Westbeld (the only starter) and low post Koko Nelson (first sub off the bench).
But -- knock on wood -- Brianna Turner will be back healthy and raring to go at the low post, offering us defensive backstops and rebounding. And Mik Vaughn will take the Nelson role. Jess Shepard will probably move on offense to the Kat Westbeld role (which she'll personalize to her strengths) and all the guards will be back: Arike Ogunbowale, Jackie Young and Mabrey. They'll be augmented by frosh Katlyn Gilbert, Abby Prohaska and Jordan Nixon.
Well having Turner back will be big. She is a impact player.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
But -- knock on wood -- Brianna Turner will be back healthy and raring to go at the low post, offering us defensive backstops and rebounding. And Mik Vaughn will take the Nelson role. Jess Shepard will probably move on offense to the Kat Westbeld role (which she'll personalize to her strengths) and all the guards will be back: Arike Ogunbowale, Jackie Young and Mabrey. They'll be augmented by frosh Katlyn Gilbert, Abby Prohaska and Jordan Nixon.
...and will be scary good and arguably and rightly so, splitting top votes next year with UConn next year. Do they play each other?

The talent gap next year closes significantly with ND and CW, MW and ONO all have to show significant development for the college game to fit in seamlessly with the other 4. ND gets to plug in a known commodity in Turner which gives a starting 5 that is very impressive.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
You are totally correct indeed, but I'd like to point out a few things...

We do tend to say that every single season when we lose great players. How will we "replace" Stef and Bria? KML and Stokes? Tuck, Jefferson, and Stewart? The answer is that we don't ever really "replace" them, but rather add new dimensions to the team for the following season.

What Gabby and Kia do for the team cannot be overstated. But it's clear that in big games, while Geno has finally come to trust Megan a bit more, we really still only go 6.5 deep. But next year our genetics will be different. Maybe worse, maybe better. Z WILL improve over the summer and will be a starter. Meg WILL improve over the summer and either she will start or Christyn will. We will have a healthy ONO, Mikayla and Batouly on the bench so that means that Geno will have the ability to go a legit 9 deep.

When we had Stokes, we had a huge goalie/shot blocker on defense. When she left, the team had to learn to excel at help defense. Right now they are VERY good at it. IF Z can learn to keep her arms straight up and not "jump" into offensive players taking shots, SHE Can be that defensive stopper as well. That means not only will our help defense be great, but also we will have a skilled shot blocker to mop up any mistakes. We don't have that now.

My overall point is that we can't replace any great players who leave, but the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. Lou, Gabby, Crystal, Z, Megan and Batouly will ALL improve next season. I hope Mikayla gets healthy soon because I think she has the ability to be part of the core group as well.

The future's so bright, we gotta wear shades!! :cool:
I don't disagree with the optimistic outlook that you, Milford and some others have outlined. But I do worry that UConn will lose an irreplaceable element of this team's success:

Geno: "Hey Kia, guard Ogunbowale and make sure she shoots 8-25. Then guard Durr and make sure she shoots 7-19. After that, take on Laska for three games and limit her to 14-53 shooting. That St. Francis kid, Kovatch, leads the nation in 3-pointers. Don't let her make any against you. Oh, and while you're at it, take the pressure off Lou and shoot 45% from beyond the arc, have a better than 2-1 assist to turnover ratio and be the toughest, most determined and unforgiving competitor on the floor this season."

And we haven't even gotten to Gabby.

As you write, I'm sure Geno will adapt to his personnel. But I'm still really going to miss Kia and Gabby...and I think UConn will, too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the optimistic outlook that you, Milford and some others have outlined. But I do worry that UConn will lose an irreplaceable element of this team's success:
Geno: "Hey Kia, guard Ogunbowale and make sure she shoots 8-25. Then guard Durr and make sure she shoots 7-19. After that, take on Laska for three games and limit her to 14-53 shooting. That St. Francis kid, Kovatch, leads the nation in 3-pointers. Don't let her make any against you. Oh, and while you're at it, take the pressure off Lou and shoot 45% from beyond the arc, have a better than 2-1 assist to turnover ratio and be the toughest, most determined and unforgiving competitor on the floor this season."
As you write, I'm sure Geno will adapt to his personnel. But I'm still really going to miss Kia and Gabby...and I think UConn will, too.
No doubt that Gabby and Kia will be missed but didn't we have these same questions when Kelly Faris or Stefanie Dolson or Kiah Stokes or Moriah Jefferson..... graduated?
Weren't Gabby and Kia stepping up THE answer to at least some of these questions?
The beauty of UCONN is that someone will step up. I'm betting Geno has more answers that he will have questions for next season.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Meagan shot the ball as well or better than Williams in High School.

Other than free throws Williams was the superior shooter in high school. Megan 3pt shooting is better incollege than high school. Could it be Geno doesn't suffer poor shot selection like her high school coach?
The following came from Maxpreps:
WWCOMP.jpg

Reaction Score
Beat me to the keyboard on that one, Coco. And the year after Sue's got Wing Sammie Puisis (remember her) and center River Baldwin aboard. Sue is stockpiling well and, as you know, she also does player development.
I agree. And Puisis will be dynamic. I wanted to see her at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Other than free throws Williams was the superior shooter in high school. Megan 3pt shooting is better incollege than high school. Could it be Geno doesn't suffer poor shot selection like her high school coach?
Already cover two post above.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. And Puisis will be dynamic. I wanted to see her at UConn.
That was a strange grab by FSU away form UCONN &ND. I remember reading an article that ND and UCONN were the top schools showing interest in Pusuis and then less than a month later she committed to FSU-more than a full year (Sept 2017) before her class 2019 has to make any type of signing.

Reaction Score
That was a strange grab by FSU away form UCONN &ND. I remember reading an article that ND and UCONN were the top schools showing interest in Pusuis and then less than a month later she committed to FSU-more than a full year (Sept 2017) before her class 2019 has to make any type of signing.
I noticed that too. Very disappointing. JMO, but from the limited amount of video I was able to see, she was the best all-around wing I've seen recently. Granted, I don't see them all but she is tough, physical, and very athletic. And she can really shoot. Great elevation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wright and Thomas were the whole show for Florida State. I'm sure Sue will cobble something together but I expect them to take a substantial step back, at least for one year.
We'll have to wait and see how the season plays next year.
Speaking of which, on Saturday night as I was watching ND play, I was also recalling a pre-season prediction of mine that you tried to poo poo.

Really surprised that Texas A&M did not crack the top 25. For starters Texas A&M returns a pair of starters K. Hillsman and Danni Williams that are both more productive than the TN returning duo of Russell and Nared. Additionally TA&M also returns another double digit scorer in Ariel Howard. Not to mention Miss Chennedy Carter is on the way to get buckets for A&M

What's the deal with A&M? They were totally unremarkable last year. What am I missing?

I compared the stats just for the sake of my own edification:
Williams - 16.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg., 1.7 apg, 38.4% FG, 36.2% 3FG
Nared - 15.6 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.7 apg, 42.3% FG, 37.8% 3FG
Hillsman - 16.4 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 62.4% FG, 41 blocks
Russell - 16.1 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 56.2% FG, 45 blocks
I don't know that I would say Hillsman & Williams are more productive, though they are comparable.
Hillsman, Williams, and Howard were the main piece last year alongside Curtyce Knox and A&M finished outside the top 25. I know Carter is a huge talent but I'm skeptical that Carter is going to be that much better in her first year than Knox. Knox's stats - 10.8 ppg, 8.9 apg, 2.5 A/TO ratio
Pretty solid pre-season prediction on TA&M right?

Reaction Score
it's the 2019 and 2020 classes that will tell the story regarding UConn's future dominance.....Boston and Jones or Brunelle are must gets and then the great guards Beuckers or Van Lith and either Watson, Brink or Marshall
Lol...the only thing that will determine UConn's future dominance is how long Geno wants to keep coaching.

Reaction Score
...and will be scary good and arguably and rightly so, splitting top votes next year with UConn next year. Do they play each other?

The talent gap next year closes significantly with ND and CW, MW and ONO all have to show significant development for the college game to fit in seamlessly with the other 4. ND gets to plug in a known commodity in Turner which gives a starting 5 that is very impressive.
That's pure baloney, everyone said the same thing when Bird, Williams, Cash, and Jones all graduated leaving Diana to shepherd a bunch of Freshman, and look what they did. Katie Lou is next year's Diana and Geno will find a way, he is not in the HOF because he looks like Frankie Avalon.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Pretty solid pre-season prediction on TA&M right?

You were right that they should have been ranked top-25. Note that my pushback was not to that statement but instead was in the thread where they were mentioned by multiple people as a final four sleeper.

Given that they did make the Sweet 16 and play ND relatively tough, they were as good as pick as any. On the other other hand, they needed a Carter buzzer-beater to beat DePaul on their home court in the 2nd round. They really did not perform like a Final Four team overall this season. So I don't think I was wrong to be skeptical in that thread. I didn't think they could make the Final Four and they didn't.

That said, they did make it farther than any of the poll choices in that thread so well done to you (and Triad) on that one.

Re Florida State - they lose all 5 starters. I'm not sure who is going to carry the load for them. Ekhomu? Gillespie (who was nothing special at Maryland)? Nicolleti? I understand that their incoming freshman are excellent. Maybe they can pull something off like Diamond/Allisha Gray class at UNC did in their first year. Who knows? But they pretty much need one of those frosh to be NFOY if they are going to be a 3-seed again next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lol...the only thing that will determine UConn's future dominance is how long Geno wants to keep coaching.
And Geno would be the first to tell you that without great players he can't be a great coach. Chicken or the egg?

Reaction Score
And Geno would be the first to tell you that without great players he can't be a great coach. Chicken or the egg?

agreed........... UConn would be just another good program if Geno was coaching without those top recruits................

Reaction Score
I thought Emily Engstler also stood out especially early in the game or maybe she just surprised me.

I wonder why EE was not to the best of my knowledge seriously considered by UConn.............perhaps she was always a Syracuse lock but she really has a lot of goo qualities..........

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
That's pure baloney, everyone said the same thing when Bird, Williams, Cash, and Jones all graduated leaving Diana to shepherd a bunch of Freshman, and look what they did. Katie Lou is next year's Diana and Geno will find a way, he is not in the HOF because he looks like Frankie Avalon.
You mixed up your teen idol Philly boys, Rob: I think Geno looks more like Bobby Rydell.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Good post GH!! :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom