McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that GA will give it exactly the attention it deserves; none.

Reaction Score
Irrational garbage from coach JPM! Lexie called you and the first words out of your mouth is "I don't take transfers"-BS! She would have been better off keeping Geno's and UCONN's name out of her mouth. It's on and popping right now! Your not going to slam two people from Philly (Dawn & Geno) and get away with it. South Carolina play Duke this year?

Didn't JPM say Lexie was not happy with the academic situation at Maryland ?

Reaction Score
Now the Courant has picked it up: LINK. Only two comments as of this writing.

Totally popcorn time.

jackson-im-just-here-to-read-the-comments-72.jpg

Reaction Score

Oh I'm sure he'll read it. It will make for some nice pre-game banter with Muffet next time UConn-ND play.
And he sure as hell will remember if UConn faces Duke again.

Reaction Score
You added some frontcourt depth in the spring with Emily Schubert and then [Wagner transfer] Sofia Roma, who won’t be able to play next year; what do you expect Emily’s role to be next year with some experience coming back in the post?

Is this right...she has a transfer coming into her program and she said all those things......have i been out in the sun too long

Reaction Score
seems to me that GREAT coaches never blame players for the lack of the programs success being that it is their job to develop their talents and groom them into winners...Great coaches always take the blame for underachieving teams...and usually correct thing and don't point fingers at other...just saying

T

TroyHouse66

JPM-
<<On Azurá Stevens
... We were really proud of her. ... came back ...a different player and a different person ... I knew all season that she was struggling. .... Very devastating.... extremely distressing for her....It was really sad.>>

So... if I am correct in reading this...
YOU as a coach & mentor...
HAD TAKEN a responsibility for one of the most gifted WBB players in collegiate ranks...
recognized a powerful personal change in her... observed a season long, extremely distressing, struggle within her...
and DID NOTHING to take her aside... counsel, advise, and grow her....
Your response was to feel sad (for yourself?)...

Is there such a thing as Coaching Malpractice?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's like you don't know him at all...

"Do you know how hard it is to coach at Duke?" Auriemma said facetiously. "It's really challenging. It's an impossible job. She's tried so hard to get to a Final Four with all the disadvantages there. So I suggest she try a little harder and let us try to be respectable."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Irrational garbage from coach JPM! Lexie called you and the first words out of your mouth is "I don't take transfers"-BS! She would have been better off keeping Geno's and UCONN's name out of her mouth. It's on and popping right now! Your not going to slam two people from Philly (Dawn & Geno) and get away with it. South Carolina play Duke this year?
Preach brother, preach! Is there a way Duke and Baylor could play each other to a double loss this year?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They lost at least Stevens, Jones, Calhoun, and Salvadores--just in the past couple of years. And assistant coaches to lateral moves.

I think Joanne is straining the friendship with Geno, if it still exists.

I also think Elizabeth Williams has a lot of guts for doing what she did. I've never questioned HER character. (I love her improvement on the court this season too.)

Put simply, Coach P. needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. Regrettably, she seems to have become delusional.

Reaction Score
"Do you know how hard it is to coach at Duke?" Auriemma said facetiously. "It's really challenging. It's an impossible job. She's tried so hard to get to a Final Four with all the disadvantages there. So I suggest she try a little harder and let us try to be respectable."

Hahahaha.
That . Is. Awesome.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
She told us, she told her teammates that 'I want a guaranteed national championship.' That became something more important than a Duke education.

My first thought upon reading this was a tad different. McCallie automatically eliminates the idea of Duke winning a NC? Instead she compares the NC with a Duke education...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Isn't it wonderful that Elizabeth Williams has got her stuff together and is playing wonderful BB?

Williams and Stokes are both proving to be better pros than college players. Funny how that works out sometimes. It's hard to say that Williams didn't leave college with some skill development. She obviously didn't work on her shot enough to be able to shoot from farther out than 5 feet from the basket.

I'm no fan of JPM, but if Williams was that unhappy she should have transferred out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We did not get her because she wanted Med school. One of her parents is a Doc. Leaving NC and coming to Storrs prob was out of the question.

Reaction Score
Sad, really sad. The loyal Duke women's basketball supporters deserve better. And so do the players. In the tirade masking as an article, there was enough horse manure shoveled by coach to fertilize Tobacco Road a dozen times over. As they say, "Sour grapes make a very bitter whine"! When she retires from coaching, I predict (sorry Carnac) that McCallie will enter politics and be elected to Congress. Let's face it, she'd be a natural and will feel right at home there! I bet we beat them by 30 points the next time we play them. Or wait, I forgot...we always end up doing that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They lost at least Stevens, Jones, Calhoun, and Salvadores--just in the past couple of years. And assistant coaches to lateral moves.

I think Joanne is straining the friendship with Geno, if it still exists.

I also think Elizabeth Williams has a lot of guts for doing what she did. I've never questioned HER character. (I love her improvement on the court this season too.)

Put simply, Coach P. needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. Regrettably, she seems to have become delusional.
To your last sentence - I doubt very much she will (look hard in the mirror). She was basically exonerated by the University and probably as a result, not only feels she did nothing, but apparently feels emboldened to go on the attack.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that Coach McCallie did herself no favors with this outburst. After being cleared by the AD and the university, she basically engages in a truly mean-spirited and low-class outburst, certainly highly unbecoming of any top-tier coach. The AD cannot have appreciated this. I'm guessing that Duke officials might just be meeting quietly to plan the program's future. This is the sort of thing that sets wheels of change in motion, however slowly they turn at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom