Maybe UConn should just stay in the AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maybe UConn should just stay in the AAC

Reaction Score
Lol what do we add to the B1G?
The market, 22 national championships, a very beautiful, incredibly historic state, entry into New England. At least. They don't need to prioritize football. They are set in football. Their standing against the SEC will not diminish. Didn't we win our bowl game against South Carolina?

Reaction Score
The market, 22 national championships, a very beautiful, incredibly historic state, entry into New England. At least. They don't need to prioritize football. They are set in football. Their standing against the SEC will not diminish. Didn't we win our bowl game against South Carolina?
Then why haven't we been chosen if we're so sought after? I mean they already have the NY market, have a great lineup of football + bball schools and I don't think they're dying to sneak into one of the worst recruiting areas in the country. Our football program is literally the worst in the nation. You really think they're just dying to let us in?? What?

Reaction Score
FWIW, as soon as one traditional football power commits, I think UConn will be paired up and will get the invite.

Reaction Score
Then why haven't we been chosen if we're so sought after? I mean they already have the NY market, have a great lineup of football + bball schools and I don't think they're dying to sneak into one of the worst recruiting areas in the country. Our football program is literally the worst in the nation. You really think they're just dying to let us in?? What?
You obviously can't compute . It's not what I think. Notice I also mentioned New England. Nor did I say dying. Now shut up. Your gets old. "Oh, we haven't been taken, so they don't want us!" So lame. We get so much publicity in conference expansion with some wondering why we're not even in a "P5" conference, yet, you come up with nelson-level stupid conclusions.

Reaction Score
The marginal financial benefit that must be achieved with expansion increases with every additional school added. If the B1G expands again, it will have to be a guaranteed financial home run. That would lead one to suspect expansion would have to involve a school of the caliber of Texas. If so, it would make sense for the B1G to add Kansas with Texas due to its location. In addition, Kansas is also AAU and Kansas basketball is valuable in its own right. I have read that AAU status is not simply about academic prestige, but also conveys financial benefit on its own to do collaborative efforts across B1G universities in winning grants. However, I do not have data on this.

UConn might get a look as 18 (assuming it makes AAU status), but that seems a big reach financially for the B1G, and I am not sure who the 17th school would be.

Reaction Score
Delany has continually made clear they are interested in the east coast. He is still talking about the east coast. Not the Great Plains.

Reaction Score
I completely get the frustration that Uconn Fans feel. Your situation sucks, and none of what has happened has been fair. That said there is at least one more upheaval on the horizon. I can not see the Big 12 staying together as currently configured at the end of its media contract. Someone will blink, and the realignment wheel will once again start spinning. Does that guarantee Uconn a spot in a P5 Conference? No, but the opportunity may still be out there. A new coach and improved football could make a world of difference.

Reaction Score
You obviously can't compute . It's not what I think. Notice I also mentioned New England. Nor did I say dying. Now shut up. Your gets old. "Oh, we haven't been taken, so they don't want us!" So lame. We get so much publicity in conference expansion with some wondering why we're not even in a "P5" conference, yet, you come up with nelson-level stupid conclusions.
Usually when you're wanted they choose you. You're the only one who thinks this, Congrats

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Delany has continually made clear they are interested in the east coast. He is still talking about the east coast. Not the Great Plains.

It's more likely that you get struck by lightning while abducted on a UFO than UConn gets invited to the Big 10.

Reaction Score
It's more likely that you get struck by lightning while abducted on a UFO than UConn gets invited to the Big 10.
I am sure that's why we got Big Ten fans here pushing for us. Had no idea lightning and UFOs would have me in mind.

Reaction Score
Oh there are 3-4 people on a message board. That changes everything.
At least some of their fans are thinking of us. :p

There's probably more Big Ten fans that frequent here than fans of other AAC schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At least some of their fans are thinking of us. :p

There's probably more Big Ten fans that frequent here than fans of other AAC schools.

I do feel like of all the people I know.. you might be the most likely to be abducted by aliens.

Reaction Score
Head bang...well I met the little green men and the reptilian people, and the grays...and they sat me in a chair and I was struck by lightning... :eek: and in my mind they communicated to me, that - that was the good news :confused:-knowing I was to survive, the bad news, :mad: we're returning you to CT where UConn has no shot of a Big anything invite. :(

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

Reaction Score
I know enough higher ups in Athletic admins in P5 conferences to know enough we're not viewed - in any way - as undeserving. Right now TV rules the roost and so does, well... structural stuff. TV is on the fence with us, but we're certainly and upgrade over many of the P5 dredges (E.G. more people watch our women's hoops program than anything Wake Forest has). It's a matter of making it work structurally - and a lot of the schools that would make sense are scattered and different structurally. So it makes pairing us off complex. As a one off - that's harder because of scheduling.

So it's a matter of fit and a conference willing to take a risk structurally or rocking the boat a bit on the TV side to make it happen. Truth be told, I'm not sure we even *have* to get invited, but I think eventually we will. I *do* think there's be obvious changes if it doesn't happen sooner rather than later; but ultimately basketball is the school's real asset. Push comes to shove, the difficult moves the school is going to have to make will be centered on protecting that asset, not detracting from it.

Reaction Score
It is crucial to keep men's basketball in the top tier....rankings in the top 25, elite 8 appearances will continue to attract recruits.

Women's basketball will always be the top dog...into the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
I said it before, we're on the Big Ten's radar. If you don't want to believe me, fine. All I will even say on the matter.
I'd like to think this is true, but we will always come up short in any major expansion. There isn't a conference around that needs, nor wants us. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Do you think the league that took Rutgers would stop there?

Reaction Score
The marginal financial benefit that must be achieved with expansion increases with every additional school added. If the B1G expands again, it will have to be a guaranteed financial home run. That would lead one to suspect expansion would have to involve a school of the caliber of Texas. If so, it would make sense for the B1G to add Kansas with Texas due to its location. In addition, Kansas is also AAU and Kansas basketball is valuable in its own right. I have read that AAU status is not simply about academic prestige, but also conveys financial benefit on its own to do collaborative efforts across B1G universities in winning grants. However, I do not have data on this.

UConn might get a look as 18 (assuming it makes AAU status), but that seems a big reach financially for the B1G, and I am not sure who the 17th school would be.

If the Big 10 can kick out a team ( Neb) they should be able to push a team into the AAU.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think this is true, but we will always come up short in any major expansion. There isn't a conference around that needs, nor wants us. Sorry.
Do you know anything about making money? You know UConn has one of the most popular athletic departments in the northeast US, correct?

I can't believe the snow I have to read on this board. It's as if people are devoid of sense and just ramble on.

Next time, direct such a response towards someone else. If you want to believe such, feel free. When PROOF indicates otherwise.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
UConn needs to win football games and basketball games and draw fans.
It is that simple. No matter what league.

The AAC will eventually ascend to P-6 if it stays together.
When P-5 conference wants to expand, it looks to the AAC first.
When an AAC football coach is successful he gets hired by the P-5.
Al Davis said it best and forever: Just win baby.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to win football games and basketball games and draw fans.
It is that simple. No matter what league.

The AAC will eventually ascend to P-6 if it stays together.
When P-5 conference wants to expand, it looks to the AAC first.
When an AAC football coach is successful he gets hired by the P-5.
Al Davis said it best and forever: Just win baby.

Agree on needing to win games, and that will draw fans. It truly is that simple.
No, the AAC will not be a P6, because there won't be a P6... there is a higher likelihood of a P4 than a P6
If P5 consolidates they will absorb some of B12 into various leagues, and UConn and Cinci could be considered in the "pool" of teams P4's might consider (over the likes of a Baylor, ISU, KSU, etc...).
Yup
Yup

Reaction Score
Every time more crap is revealed about Louisville I shudder. Now it is revealed the football program uses stolen Wake Forest info and then denies it before giving it plausibility status at best. They are the academic equal of grades 13 - 16. Pitino molests women, His recruits get hookers. The ACC should be proud.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom