May I remind you ... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

May I remind you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Michigan made a business decision. Pay $2 million buyout, and then add a million to find an opponent for a home payday game. That's $3m.

Or play the game in the rent.

There was a pesky law that manuel had no role in drafting that prevents uconn from playing out of state home games. Manuel also was not the AD when michigan was signed, nor did he have a role in drafting the buyout fee.
that's one side of the equation. how much does michigan make for having 100K fans at a game. I'm guessing more than $3M.

Reaction Score
This had no- and when I say no, I mean absolutely NO- impact on conference realignment whatsoever. It's anger, not fact.
tell that to Frank the Tank. He's been spouting that since it happened.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned it before elsewhere, that Jurich with the comment above is directly contradicting his UConn was "penned it, not penciled in" comment. He talks out of the both sides of his mouth, and clearly that's what matters in big time sports.

Not really... this is his actual comment:

“We were definitely the underdogs,” Jurich said. “People had UConn not penciled in, but penned it.”

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Not really... this is his actual comment:

“We were definitely the underdogs,” Jurich said. “People had UConn not penciled in, but penned it.”
How does he say that Louisville "were definitely the underdogs" (back in November), yet in the recent ESPN blog post (RIP Big East blog) he then responds that "Nobody told me that" when told that "UConn was thought to be the favorite" by AA? What I was saying is he's contradicting himself...revisionist history...talks out of both sides of his mouth...self serving... as should be in big time sports.

Reaction Score
Think about your last statement. An assumtion the conference president was unaware of the potential conflicts within the football bunch is quite a grasp. Knowing this a plan to assuage these schools should have been in place.
Listen telling Fla State and Clemson they will play in the New York area giving them media attention their state rivals could only dream of getting would outweigh any short term gain received with picking Louisville. If these two schools were on board you think BC really had a voice?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

You think the Presidents of those universities were making their decisions based on what the schools that wanted an invitation told them, rather than what their consultants told them?

And, in any event, that really isn't responsive to the post I was agreeing with.

Reaction Score
I've read per game PROFIT (not revenue) anywhere from $2m to $8m, depending upon the opponent. But that isn't even that clear since the Big Ten shares ticket revenue.

I think Michigan's decision was first and foremost a business one- would they make more money if they scheduled a home game at the cost of $3 million (or maybe just $2 million if they didn't get a payday opponent, which given the timing would be unlikely).

Maybe I'm wrong and that Manuel's michigan connections combined with michigan's altruism combined to keep the game. Or other factors came into play as well- a chance for michigan to get northeast/new england exposure, a trial run for the big ten in new england.

Since the coverage of football is so bad by local journalists, I doubt we'll ever see a story like "How UConn kept the michigan game" which just leaves us to our speculation. Which is too bad, because if manuel was instrumental in keeping the game, that would be something for us to feel good about. It's not like we've had a bunch of great things happen on the football side lately, so you'd think positive stories would be of interest. Instead, we read into michigan's decision what we want to see- manuel was decisive or he was a potted plant.

Bottom line, keeping the michigan game, no matter the why, is great for the program. I just hope uconn hypes the heck out of it in the next two months.

that's one side of the equation. how much does michigan make for having 100K fans at a game. I'm guessing more than $3M.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
No need for UConn, Cincy to go begging

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...d/86275/no-need-for-uconn-cincy-to-go-begging
Some tidbits (wow someone from ESPN actually now claiming that we penetrate NYC market):
But the Big Ten remains the shadow that looms in two ways. It could still try to bulldoze its way into adding an ACC school. If that occurred, there would be hope for Cincinnati to join the ACC. Or, as a longshot, the Big Ten could one day see the need to expand into the Northeast again and give Rutgers and Maryland another partner. Tabbing UConn, which penetrates the New York City market, would make sense. But Cincinnati wouldn't make sense for the Big Ten since Ohio State dominates the in-state market.

UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said he's not chasing other conferences anymore. Cincinnati AD Whit Babcock essentially said the same thing. Neither are in a position to publicly beg the ACC or the Big Ten to take them. It doesn’t look good for either program, but both want their teams to be the best in the league.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No need for UConn, Cincy to go begging

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...d/86275/no-need-for-uconn-cincy-to-go-begging
Some tidbits (wow someone from ESPN actually now claiming that we penetrate NYC market):
But the Big Ten remains the shadow that looms in two ways. It could still try to bulldoze its way into adding an ACC school. If that occurred, there would be hope for Cincinnati to join the ACC. Or, as a longshot, the Big Ten could one day see the need to expand into the Northeast again and give Rutgers and Maryland another partner. Tabbing UConn, which penetrates the New York City market, would make sense. But Cincinnati wouldn't make sense for the Big Ten since Ohio State dominates the in-state market.

UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said he's not chasing other conferences anymore. Cincinnati AD Whit Babcock essentially said the same thing. Neither are in a position to publicly beg the ACC or the Big Ten to take them. It doesn’t look good for either program, but both want their teams to be the best in the league.​

The Bold passages are what folks ought to take from this. It didn't look good in November, and wouldn't look good now.

Louisville was perceived to have the better football program, regardless of what was actually true. People need to stop quoting records over a 10 year period. Perception to the powers that be is reality. The ACC becomes the Big East of 2002 without FSU and Clemson, and the New BCS becomes the Power 4 conferences and the other 6 conferences who pretend to play Div. 1A. Hathaway, Austin, Pendergast, Manuel, and Herbst collectively had already put forth UConn's presentation to the best of their ability. There was really nothing more that could have been done. They were, for intents and purpose, the next in line until FSU threatened to take its ball and go home unless Louisville, a better perceived football program, was the selection. A couple other matters helped seal UConn's fate last time around, but in the end, it was just window dressing.

That turned the page for me on the ACC. While I want a seat at the table, the ACC spot is next to the wobbly leg and there is just so much reneging and putting off of the school that I can handle. UConn's attention has rightfully turned to the Big Ten and how the can find its way to stop putting coasters under the leg. Herbst seems to be focused on that with the AAU and growth initiative. Manuel's now should be strengthening the Athletic Department as a whole with a particular focus on football coach. I believe basketball will take care of itself for the next couple years, and if Ollie can get a guy or two to the Association, he will have little problem recruiting more 4-5 star players beyond that.

Reaction Score
My take on the Michigan game is that the new Michigan AD thought he would try and steamroll UConn to move the game to a locale where they would have an advantage. . When UConn wouldn't give in, he figured it wasn't worth the bother to force the issue, and he could always blame his predecessor who made the deal if there is too much catawhalling about it. But he made it clear that Michigan isn't doing home-home series with teams they consider their inferiors any more. this was just a leftover from the previous administration. Had very little to do with Warde's Michigan ties, though they might have agreed to help him out since if he had lost this game after getting bamboozled out conference re-alignment, he would have looked even worse than he does, and UConn would never have benefitted from one of his specialties, designing new logos.

Husky25

Reaction Score
But he made it clear that Michigan isn't doing home-home series with teams they consider their inferiors any more.

I don't remember that. Source, please? I remember Barry Alvarez saying that the PTB won't schedule anymore FCS teams, but UConn, at last check, was still an FBS team.

Reaction Score
H25,
I couldn't find the actual reference but I also didn't try that hard. If you go back to some of the articles on relocating the game, what he basically says is that Michigan only wants to play B-10 teams on the road. The only exception will be the occasional neutral site game. they pretty much said they want 8 home games every year. That's really what I was referring to. Just being a little more dramatic for effect.

Husky25

Reaction Score
H25,
I couldn't find the actual reference but I also didn't try that hard. If you go back to some of the articles on relocating the game, what he basically says is that Michigan only wants to play B-10 teams on the road. The only exception will be the occasional neutral site game. they pretty much said they want 8 home games every year. That's really what I was referring to. Just being a little more dramatic for effect.

The OOC schedule is important in Football to measure conference vs. conference. Everyone plays a cream puff or two and they go to the Big House, but (if this is true) Michigan is going to then have a hard time scheduling a traditional OOC rival like Notre Dame or any other Power 5 opponent (even weaker ones). All of these Presidents and ADs have egos and will probably not agree to a one off only game with Michigan. The MWC, AAC, and MAC might be 2-1 deals, but say goodbye to the cream puff schedule. That is why I think you might be referring to the no FCS game for the Big Ten as a whole.

Related to basketball, this strategy will make them the Syracuse of BCS football. Syracuse rarely ventures outside the geographic New York state boarder (At least they didn't when they were in the Big East) before the conference schedule starts and over 90% of those games were at the Carrier Dome. So when they beat up on the Binghamton's and Elmira State's of the world, no one could figure out how they handle a raucous enemy crowd or unfriendly rims. Typically, that doesn't bode well come Tournament time unless you have a ready made 18 year old NBA All Star who happens to want to sow his oats in college for a year (In current days, that player goes to Kentucky).

Reaction Score
The OOC schedule is important in Football to measure conference vs. conference. Everyone plays a cream puff or two and they go to the Big House, but (if this is true) Michigan is going to then have a hard time scheduling a traditional OOC rival like Notre Dame or any other Power 5 opponent (even weaker ones). All of these Presidents and ADs have egos and will probably not agree to a one off only game with Michigan. The MWC, AAC, and MAC might be 2-1 deals, but say goodbye to the cream puff schedule. That is why I think you might be referring to the no FCS game for the Big Ten as a whole.
It isn't like Michigan is the road warriors anyway, so I'm not sure how much this matters. Historically they have only played Notre Dame on the road anyway. Last year they played a neutral site game to open the season, and at ND, but that was the first time in a long while they've played 2 games outside the Big House. Since at least the 2000s they've palyed 3 or 4 home games depending on where the Irish game was. Going forward I think they have a game at Utah in 2015, but that was scheduled as part of that aborted PAC-BIG scheduling alliance. And in 2016, the schedule shows 9 Big games.The Notre Dame series comes to an end after 2015 I think when they get integrated into the ACC.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It isn't like Michigan is the road warriors anyway, so I'm not sure how much this matters. Historically they have only played Notre Dame on the road anyway. Last year they played a neutral site game to open the season, and at ND, but that was the first time in a long while they've played 2 games outside the Big House. Since at least the 2000s they've palyed 3 or 4 home games depending on where the Irish game was. Going forward I think they have a game at Utah in 2015, but that was scheduled as part of that aborted PAC-BIG scheduling alliance. And in 2016, the schedule shows 9 Big games.The Notre Dame series comes to an end after 2015 I think when they get integrated into the ACC.

It may end as an every year game, but I can't believe that the rivalry won't continue with a game every few years. But that's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
It may end as an every year game, but I can't believe that the rivalry won't continue with a game every few years. But that's just my opinion.
I'm just telling you that Michigan has schedules out through 2016 and after I think 2014 it ends. ND had to drop some traditional rivalries to fulfill its ACC commitment and have room for some new opponents along the way. One of those they dropped was Michigan They kept Navy, USC and I think Stanford because they want to go to the west coast every year. In fact Michigan is sort of a Johnny come lately to the ND schedule. They have played all those other teams much more often, and their longest rivalry is actually with Michigan State.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Michigan asked to get the game moved to a place where they could get more seats for their fans. UConn said no. I'm going to take the UM AD at his word when he said they will play the game at the Rent because UM is an entity that lives up to their word. Why not?

Reaction Score
One consistent about posting on the CRB, every one ends up with bashing Warde! Now that's consistency!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom