– Massachusetts NL 44-41 –
– Rhode Island NL 31-17 –
– at Northeastern NL 32-22 –
– Delaware NL 17-59 –
– at William & Mary NL 34-26 –
– at Massachusetts NL 28-27 –
– Hampton NL 42-34
–d1a PLAYOFFS Georgia Southern NL 30-57 –
Look at that schedule ... and think what Iowa or Louisville or Rutgers did that year we went 10-3 under Skip Holtz. Gawd ... we got our Ass kicked by Delaware.
So ... take your shots at all those staying grounded. We have an OUTSTANDING Home Schedule in 2013. We have the ability to go so much farther as a AD ... as a Football Program.
I genuinely give Warde Manual a good grade thus far. I don't give a crap what freescooter or ConnHuskerFan or HuskyFanDan claim. He is WAY beyond Jeff Hathaway. And, we better hope he has a lot more in him ... because We need it. We have very challenging years ahead. Manual has handled MBB, WBB, MHockey very well. Pasqualoni? Short leash. Made good changes ... and gets a shot to have a good 2013.
I still think we can be a 56,000 roaring Football fanbase. Manual has to be good. We need a solid coach.

Reaction Score
A "56,000 roaring Football fanbase." From your keyboard to God's ears. For that to happen Warde needs to dust off the Rent's blueprints & figure out how to finance an expansion to 60,000 capacity. Hope that I see it in my lifetime.

Reaction Score
In my view ... you're still very young.

PS:
OK ... I know Connecticut Taxpayers will scream. But, the expansion financing has always been available by recasting the bonds at Today's lower rates and going for another $100m in Debt. I am certain WE far exceeded our Conservative projections of 1999-2002. I believe ... we just lacked the will to pull the trigger in the Hathaway years.

The SINGLE Bigtime move we could have made ... like Rutgers did and Louisville did (and Cincinnati is apparently doing) ... is a splashy Stadium expansion. (IF ...) we had gotten in to the ACC/B1G, we'd do 52000 regularly. And, I think it was a test of our collective will ... and we punted.

Reaction Score
Here was our BIG year ... not that long ago:

– at Colgate NL 45-35 –
– Maine NL 35-27 –
– at Yale NL 63-21 –
– at New Hampshire NL 20-34 –
– Hofstra NL 40-18 –
– Delaware NL 17-59 –
– Hampton NL 42-34
Look at that schedule ... and think what Iowa or Louisville or Rutgers did that year we went 10-3 under Skip Holtz. Gawd ... we got our Ass kicked by Delaware.
So ... take your shots at all those staying grounded. We have an OUTSTANDING Home Schedule in 2013. We have the ability to go so much farther as a AD ... as a Football Program.
I genuinely give Warde Manual a good grade thus far. I don't give a crap what freescooter or ConnHuskerFan or HuskyFanDan claim. He is WAY beyond Jeff Hathaway. And, we better hope he has a lot more in him ... because We need it. We have very challenging years ahead. Manual has handled MBB, WBB, MHockey very well. Pasqualoni? Short leash. Made good changes ... and gets a shot to have a good 2013.
I still think we can be a 56,000 roaring Football fanbase. Manual has to be good. We need a solid coach.
dear lord

Reaction Score
This is post is bad timing and perspective. We basically had an opportunity to invest and move into what was a seemingly upcoming and competitive league and football conference. We did that and have since seen our conference minimized. We are in a bad position. If there is a reasonable probability we can end up in a favorable position in 3-5 years I say invest. But it's more likely this is a self-fulfilling prophecy and the little interest there already is for UConn fball will wane when we have years of ECU, Tulsa and Tulane coming to Rent.

Here was our BIG year ... not that long ago:

– at Colgate NL 45-35 –
– Maine NL 35-27 –
– at Yale NL 63-21 –
– at New Hampshire NL 20-34 –
– Hofstra NL 40-18 –
– Delaware NL 17-59 –
– Hampton NL 42-34

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What exactly are Warde Manuel's accomplishments?

Specifically, events/situations he handled from Day 1 through the end.

Warde has handled women's basketball well? Lol, you can't be serious? Geno could have a monkey for an AD and reel off Final 4's and championships.

Warde has handled men's basketball well? Oh, like the time he wouldn't hire our Hall of Fame coach's hand picked replacement and beloved Husky Kevin Ollie?

What about the time after back to back 5-7 seasons compiled with a roster of NFL players, he bright everyone back. The fact DeLeone is still around is a joke.

Or how about that time he scheduled a P5 conference out of conference football game?

Or everytime a microphone is in his face he says something that angers the fan base.

I believe in UConn and I still think we have a fighting chance to make something of ourselves.

P and Manuel are not the men for the job.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Michigan is coming to East Hartford. He's got that.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Men's hockey upgraded to Hockey East. That was pretty cool.

Reaction Score

Warde has handled women's basketball well? Lol, you can't be serious? Geno could have a monkey for an AD and reel off Final 4's and championships.

Warde has handled men's basketball well? Oh, like the time he wouldn't hire our Hall of Fame coach's hand picked replacement and beloved Husky Kevin Ollie?

What about the time after back to back 5-7 seasons compiled with a roster of NFL players, he bright everyone back. The fact DeLeone is still around is a joke.

Or how about that time he scheduled a P5 conference out of conference football game?

Or everytime a microphone is in his face he says something that angers the fan base.

I believe in UConn and I still think we have a fighting chance to make something of ourselves.

The AD's trip to the VI and lackadaisical attitude toward strengthening the football program has erased thirty years of progress for UConn. After the next year or two, money to fund athletics will be exhausted and things will only get worse. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other members of the AAC get invites out and UConn continues left holding the bag as they monitor the situation.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that game was scheduled when UConn was an AAc member. Stupid post.

And Michigan wanted out. Warde has nothing to do with this game. He's a clown. He's a terrible hire at a time when we needed a great hire. #SamegoestoSuzyQ

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, that game was scheduled when UConn was an AAc member. Stupid post.

And Michigan wanted out. Warde has nothing to do with this game. He's a clown. He's a terrible hire at a time when we needed a great hire. #SamegoestoSuzyQ

Oh I must have posted he scheduled the game.

Michigan wanted to play it elsewhere under his watch but it's in East Hartford.

Destroy him if you like I'm certainly no fan, but I'm going to be fair and that outcome was a success for him.

Reaction Score
They had a $2.5m buyout. It was easy. He didn't do anything, don't give him credit for this.

Remember him for the guy who traveled to a women's bball tourney in the Virgin Islands when conf realignment was happening and Jurich made him look silly. He's awful, a terrible hire. Made for a conference like the AAC. You get what you pay for I guess.

Oh I must have posted he scheduled the game.

Michigan wanted to play it elsewhere under his watch but it's in East Hartford.

Destroy him if you like I'm certainly no fan, but I'm going to be fair and that outcome was a success for him.

Reaction Score
Michigan made a business decision. Pay $2 million buyout, and then add a million to find an opponent for a home payday game. That's $3m.

Or play the game in the rent.

There was a pesky law that manuel had no role in drafting that prevents uconn from playing out of state home games. Manuel also was not the AD when michigan was signed, nor did he have a role in drafting the buyout fee.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They had a $2.5m buyout. It was easy. He didn't do anything, don't give him credit for this.

Remember him for the guy who traveled to a women's bball tourney in the Virgin Islands when conf realignment was happening and Jurich made him look silly. He's awful, a terrible hire. Made for a conference like the AAC. You get what you pay for I guess.

I don't disagree he sucks but for your criticism to be taken seriously you have to be fair.

Michigan can buy UConn out for 2.5 million and generate bigger dollars playing directional Michigan at the Big House. Multiply 90k by $50 and compare to 2.5 million.

The game is being playing in East Hartford. That is a undeniable win for Warde.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Michigan made a business decision. Pay $2 million buyout, and then add a million to find an opponent for a home payday game. That's $3m.

Or play the game in the rent.

There was a pesky law that manuel had no role in drafting that prevents uconn from playing out of state home games. Manuel also was not the AD when michigan was signed, nor did he have a role in drafting the buyout fee.

I guess math is really difficult.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't disagree he sucks but for your criticism to be taken seriously you have to be fair.

Michigan can buy UConn out for 2.5 million and generate bigger dollars playing directional Michigan at the Big House. Multiply 90k by $50 and compare to 2.5 million.

The game is being playing in East Hartford. That is a undeniable win for Warde.

It's a win for UConn, because we get the game at The Rent.

I don't see how Warde had anything to do with it though. If Michigan stood to gain a few million dollars on the game and wanted to move it, they would've and there's nothing WM could've done to stop it.

Michigan probably decided it wasn't worth the bad press ( however minimal it would've been) abd the precedent it would have set for future scheduling with then ( even though they had every right to cancel the game and pay the fee).

Warde has done a good job on scheduling OOC basketball games so far, but that's my only positive so far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a win for UConn, because we get the game at The Rent.

I don't see how Warde had anything to do with it though. If Michigan stood to gain a few million dollars on the game and wanted to move it, they would've and there's nothing WM could've done to stop it.

Michigan probably decided it wasn't worth the bad press ( however minimal it would've been) abd the precedent it would have set for future scheduling with then ( even though they had every right to cancel the game and pay the fee).

Warde has done a good job on scheduling OOC basketball games so far, but that's my only positive so far.

I don't know what Michigan's motivation was. I do know they could have increased their net income by canceling the game. If I'm being fair and holding him accountable for so much, the game is being played and it's going to be awesome so I have to give him credit.

Reaction Score
I don't know what Michigan's motivation was. I do know they could have increased their net income by canceling the game. If I'm being fair and holding him accountable for so much, the game is being played and it's going to be awesome so I have to give him credit.
And maybe Michigan wants to get a preview of what the next new B1G team's home field and fan base is like ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: pj

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Remember him for the guy who traveled to a women's bball tourney in the Virgin Islands when conf realignment was happening and Jurich made him look silly.

This had no- and when I say no, I mean absolutely NO- impact on conference realignment whatsoever. It's anger, not fact.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'm not a Warde fan (I'm also not an outright hater), but as a Michigan man he did have a role in keeping the Michigan return game. Michigan was considering pulling the game if we couldn't play at a bigger stadium. They could have played a higher profile opponent (from another Power 5 conference) or another home game for more money. It's simple economics. Power teams cancel return games all the time. Probably the only good thing that Hathaway did was to get Tennessee to come to the Rent first.

Boise St. and BYU are good, but I agree he needs to book Power 5 opponents ASAP (home and home deals, not 2 for 1 garbage). We still have an away slot for 2014 to book, and a slot for 2015.

If the Pasquoloni project doesn't appear to be working out by mid-season, he needs to be canned immediately. My hope though (I'm sure most of us hope) is we turn this ship around and that Weist is the key ingredient (and head coach in waiting when P retires in 2 years). A couple more years of churn will break an already weak fan-base.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This had no- and when I say no, I mean absolutely NO- impact on conference realignment whatsoever. It's anger, not fact.
...and you base that on what? The press, heck even Jurich, had UConn "penned in" for the slot. People underestimate the impact that one person can have in a negotiation. A well prepared confident individual can make things happen. I can't say for sure that he would have been able to overcome BCUs and FSUs concerns but it certainly wasn't going to happen while he was sitting on the beach. I think that miss has hurt out perception publically far more than some imagine.

Reaction Score
[quote="I can't say for sure that he would have been able to overcome BCUs and FSUs concerns but it certainly wasn't going to happen while he was sitting on the beach. I think that miss has hurt out perception publically far more than some imagine.[/quote]

So you have no facts either. The fear of FSU bolting if they didn't get Louisville is what tipped the scales.

Reaction Score
Even if your right, and I don't think you are, it was a terrible, terrible way to do business. Gave the impression to the fan base that he didn't care. It was a sports equivalent of George Bush flying Air Force 1 over New Orleans after Katrina or Tom Meskill staying in Vermont on a ski trip during the ice storm of the 1970s, or Mike Balandic failing to send out the snow plows in Chicago. Now George Bush wasn't plugging 1 levy, and Tom Meskill wasn't going to restore electric service to a single house, and Balandic wasn't moving an inch of snow, but in each case they gave the impression of a leader wh didn't have a clue and didn't really care what his citizens were going through. So now Malloy is practically a candidate for a daytime Emmy every time it rains, Obama is eligible to vote in New Jersey and snow plows dash down Chicago Streets any time it even looks like flurries. Warde's decision to stay in the Caribbean may or may not have changed one ACC vote, but it wasn't the kind of move a rock star ought to be making, and like Meskill and Balandic he ought ot be sent packing. Bush couldn't be because he was in his 2nd term but he lost any popularity he had and never came close to recovering.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel has lost any credibility he ever had with this fan base, and he keeps making things worse with his dumb comments. He probably needs a press spokesman who peaks for him, and who pre-screens every comment. Do not under any circumstances speak off the cuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom