May I remind you ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

May I remind you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
And they were bolting where? That they wanted a football school is undisputed. But that they even had an offer to bolt is at best questionable. the idea that Texas and Oklahoma would have accepted Florida State is at best speculative and at worst one of those urban myths. But Jurich was able to work the system and take advantage of the splits within the ACC. Warde monitored the situation.

Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level Realignment is done at the presidential level[/quote]
Wasn't Herbst in the VI with Warde? Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
I just find the blaming ... Funny.

Our President was less than one year on the job; our AD as well. And, the scorn is because they hadn't established relationships? Their physical location in the USVI us like Bush slapping Brownie now?

And free scooter: we just aren't Louisville in Football. We lost when the criteria straight lined to that.

No amount of Lobbying would have won this ... Particularly at this moment at UConn. I agree ... This argument is going to go on here & it's old. It poisons our board & our enjoyment of a good Program. And you might have years before there is another move.

And ... A lot of our Fanbase won't really care. Warde is here.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Our President was less than one year on the job; our AD as well. And, the scorn is because they hadn't established relationships? Their physical location in the USVI us like Bush slapping Brownie now?

And free scooter: we just aren't Louisville in Football. We lost when the criteria straight lined to that.

No amount of Lobbying would have won this ... Particularly at this moment at UConn. I agree ... This argument is going to go on here & it's old. It poisons our board & our enjoyment of a good Program. And you might have years before there is another move.

I'm with you Pudge. Although there is validity to the idea of pumping the program's image to boost national perception, the blame for the failure to pump the program up as much as people here want, or the failure to consolidate whatever successes the football program had after the upgrade and advance on them further, is 95% Jeff Hathaway. Beyond that, I think most of the angst is focused on Warde because he talks like a diplomat instead of a maverick. The boneyard wants a maverick with a get-rich-quick scheme, but UConn needs a diplomat with a long term vision.

Reaction Score
...but UConn needs a diplomat with a long term vision.
I think Herbst has a solid vision. We do have to be patient. We're the #1 public university in New England and she is building on that.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Big XII was desperate for an addition that was good in football and didn't care about being Texas' b**ch. It didn't matter if WVU's AD was Oliver Luck or Daffy Duck, winning several BCS games was why they got in.

Since the Fiesta Bowl we've been slaughtered in the court of public opinion due to our own futility.

.[/quote]

No, when we've been mentioned its been how unfortunate our situation is. Not that we did anything specifically wrong other than not have major football prior to 2000.

zls44

Reaction Score
Uh no Perry Mason, it isn't. When you make statements like "This had no- and when I say no, I mean absolutely NO- impact on conference realignment whatsoever. It's anger, not fact." You ought to be able to back them up with facts if you want people to find you credible. You can't, apparently, so now we know that even you say "no- and when I say no, I mean absolutely NO-" you are still talking out your butt. Thanks for the clarification.

You accused him of doing something without proving anything. The burden is on you to provide even one reliable source saying UConn didn't get in the ACC because Warde was in the USVI.

Get some facts and then come and see me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You accused him of doing something without proving anything. The burden is on you to provide even one reliable source saying UConn didn't get in the ACC because Warde was in the USVI.

Get some facts and then come and see me.
Wrong again revisionist boy. This was the quote that started it all:
"This had no- and when I say no, I mean absolutely NO- impact on conference realignment whatsoever. It's anger, not fact."

So bluff called. Show us what you got.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Realignment is done at the Presidential level:

I guess unless it's the basketball coach at Pitt signing teams up for the Big East. (TCU for those with bad memories)

If realignment wasn't a part of Warde's job why would he publicly declare he was done. Doesn't that make that argument ridiculous?

zls44

Reaction Score
Wrong again revisionist boy. This was the quote that started it all:
"This had no- and when I say no, I mean absolutely NO- impact on conference realignment whatsoever. It's anger, not fact."

So bluff called. Show us what you got.

Everything that has happened in conference realignment.

That's my evidence.

The ACC needed a football school. Louisville has a better football program than UConn. By a lot. By a whole lot. UConn beat them last year and could beat them 45-3 for the next five years and it would not change that fact. You can either accept demographic and infrastructure trends, or you can think this is based on some phone calls.

The ACC did not make a major structural adjustment based on four days' worth of phone calls from an AD. Its an absurd way to think they conduct business.

To further entertain the stupidity: what proof do you have that Warde wasn't making phone calls from the USVI? Hmm? Why couldn't he do the exact same things Jurich was doing? Boy, when you stop huffing and puffing in place and actually consider that little conundrum it reeeeeally stops that sandwich of an argument in its tracks, doesn't it?

Ain't THAT a bi*ch.

zls44

Reaction Score
Realignment is done at the Presidential level:

I guess unless it's the basketball coach at Pitt signing teams up for the Big East. (TCU for those with bad memories)

The Big East needed a FB program. TCU had just won the Fiesta Bowl.

The problem with knuckleheads like you and CL82 is that you're interpreting little things as big things. Jamie Dixon putting in a good word for his alma mater doesn't equal Jamie Dixon getting TCU into the Big East.

It's just freakin' stupid. The chancellor of DePaul or USF could not give a single holy duckk what Jamie Dixon wanted. Football drove the bus, TCU had a good market and a good football team.

The vote to add TCU was unanimous- including the Catholic BB onlies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big East needed a FB program. TCU had just won the Fiesta Bowl.

The problem with knuckleheads like you and CL82 is that you're interpreting little things as big things. Jamie Dixon putting in a good word for his alma mater doesn't equal Jamie Dixon getting TCU into the Big East.

It's just freakin' stupid. The chancellor of DePaul or USF could not give a single holy duckk what Jamie Dixon wanted. Football drove the bus, TCU had a good market and a good football team.

The vote to add TCU was unanimous- including the Catholic BB onlies.

No sh it the presidents vote in the end. But come on there are plenty of examples of people influencing the process below that level. I love how every example you reply with x conference needed a program - as if that means it didn't happen.

Reaction Score

That is just a bunch of excuses...Oh, we weren't there long enough...oh, Louisville was better in football...Susan Herbst was essentially the COO of the Georgia State University system and held a faculty position at Georgia Tech, for heavens sake. If she didn't have contacts in the ACC, well I'm not sure how she did her last job. But just out of curiosity, how long would she and Warde needed to be on the job before they should have been working on this issue on UConn's behalf? Obvioulsy you don't think they had to do anything since they were there a year and 8 months, respectively? So if another opportunity comes up, is a couple of years each enough time? 5 years and 6 years? 10? They held the jobds, they knew what the priority was and they failed. Whether they were there a day or 2 years or 20 years. As far as Louisville's football prowess, here's the problem. We aren't Louisville, maybe, but neither was Louisville the Louisville that was painted in the media. the 3 years before that they were 6-6, 5-7, 4-8. They had a nice stretch under Petrino for 4 years, but before that John L Smith had winning records, 7-5, 7-5, 9-3, 11-2, 7-6. And nobody before that did much...Schnellenberger was 54-56-2 in 10 seasons, Weber was 20-35, his predecessor was 25-29...you can just look at those numbers and you know Louisville simply wasn't a very good program for most of its history. That is reality. But they were allowed ot set the narrative that they were Notre Dame and it wasn't challenged.

Reaction Score
Is this same argument going to go on until UConn gets into a P5 conference or Warde moves on or is fired? This gets rather old now. It is what it is and will not change for at least a year or two. Move on with blaming Warde folks....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
One can dream...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everything that has happened in conference realignment.

That's my evidence. So you have nothing?

The ACC needed a football school. Louisville has a better football program than UConn. By a lot. By a whole lot. UConn beat them last year and could beat them 45-3 for the next five years and it would not change that fact. You can either accept demographic and infrastructure trends, or you can think this is based on some phone calls.

The ACC did not make a major structural adjustment based on four days' worth of phone calls from an AD. Its an absurd way to think they conduct business.

To further entertain the stupidity: what proof do you have that Warde wasn't making phone calls from the USVI? Hmm? Why couldn't he do the exact same things Jurich was doing? Boy, when you stop huffing and puffing in place and actually consider that little conundrum it reeeeeally stops that sandwich of an argument in its tracks, doesn't it?lol, no. You are the one who said and you still haven't presented a single fact to support that statement.

Ain't THAT a bi*ch.
No, not so much. I did find it ententertaining that you both downplay and and play up the value of phone calls in a single post within of dozen or so words of each other. All I wanted to know is whether you were pulling that unequivocal statement out of your butt or whether you had something. An article, and interview, anything at all. You don't and that's fine. There is whole heck of a lot unsubstantiated opinion on the Boneyard. It's not a big deal.

Now if the point you are trying to make is that you believe that there was no way that FSU could have been placated because they were making a power move, that could well be correct. I do think that UConn could have done a better job of explaining it's strengths and highlighting the accounting game that Louisville used to amp up there program. Connecticut has a very good narrative that has been made on this board many, many times. The fact that we didn't hear it, not from the university and not echoed by ACC presidents after the fact, makes me wonder if or at least how effectively it was made. Whenever a decision comes down to a vote, it is a lobby effort and lobbying is far more effective in person than remotely.

All of that notwithstanding, Herbst and Manual being in the USVI is unfortunate optics and optics matter both for that round and the next one. Hopefully we are better prepared now and hopefully there will be more realignment to come.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Maybe Swofford told Warde "My word is stronger than oak."
The irony is, Swofford may have actually told Herbst/Warde that we would be picked up and to keep quiet. This is purely speculative, but this is what we know:
1) Aresco is friends with Swofford, and Aresco is on record as saying Swofford told him that the ACC would only take one school (as opposed to three that some in the media were speculating).
2) During the teleconference announcing Tulane's addition to the Big East (which happened just prior to the ACC picking Louisville), Aresco and Tulane President Scott Cowen (UConn Alumn), avoided at all costs mentioning UConn and touted Louisville. Scott Cowen, even stopped short of saying Connecticut and instead said "I even played football at ...(er) a big east school." It may be that Swofford told Aresco that UConn was "penned in".
3) Jurich touting that UConn was "not penciled in, but penned in". It may be Jurich, building up Jurich, but I'm sure he has his sources and went to work accordingly.

So, it's reasonable to assume that Swofford told Herbst/Manuel that we were a lock and to sit tight and keep quiet. Last time, we were vilified for being too vociferous, this time we were vilified for keeping quiet.

What happened, happened. All of us are disappointed, and some of us are furious, but you know what, we've got to move on and keep our head's up and go to games, spread the word, win games, build on our fan base, and hopefully, our day will come. It will come - damn it!

Reaction Score
One can dream...
This whole realignment is made at the presidential level is one of those obvious statements that on the surface has to be true.
But really is a lot more complex.
That assumes the president makes that decision unilaterally.
If true our president should be fired. Acamemics seldom have enough knowledge of athletics to understand the implications.
The AD is the guy providing that input. He also is the face of the strategy as bloody hands and University presidents should be mutually exclusive events.
The plan I previouslly outlined has to be carried out on both levels
Our president selling UConn Acedemic growth to her peers and our allies and our AD addressing his peers our plan correct the negative aspect of our athletics
I did leave out an important piece of the plan
Create a situation in the minds of both levels peers that you are the possible target of exspansion by another conference.
If the ACC had an iota of fear of the B1G taking us we were the hands down winner over Louisville. What hurts the ACC more Louisville a mid-south team going to the Big 12 or UConn going to the B1G. A Rutgers Maryland UConn Penn State Div splits the ACC in two. UConn Rutgers gives the NYC edge to the B1G.
The most important thing of all is the proactive nature of the plan.
On the surface it looks like we failed. Time will tell.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The irony is, Swofford may have actually told Herbst/Warde that we would be picked up and to keep quiet. This is purely speculative, but this is what we know:
1) Aresco is friends with Swofford, and Aresco is on record as saying Swofford told him that the ACC would only take one school (as opposed to three that some in the media were speculating).
2) During the teleconference announcing Tulane's addition to the Big East (which happened just prior to the ACC picking Louisville), Aresco and Tulane President Scott Cowen (UConn Alumn), avoided at all costs mentioning UConn and touted Louisville. Scott Cowen, even stopped short of saying Connecticut and instead said "I even played football at ...(er) a big east school." It may be that Swofford told Aresco that UConn was "penned in".
3) Jurich touting that UConn was "not penciled in, but penned in". It may be Jurich, building up Jurich, but I'm sure he has his sources and went to work accordingly.

So, it's reasonable to assume that Swofford told Herbst/Manuel that we were a lock and to sit tight and keep quiet. Last time, we were vilified for being too vociferous, this time we were vilified for keeping quiet.

What happened, happened. All of us are disappointed, and some of us are furious, but you know what, we've got to move on and keep our head's up and go to games, spread the word, win games, build on our fan base, and hopefully, our day will come. It will come - damn it!

That is, by far, the most rational explanation of what happened. And that Swofford was as blindsided as anyone.

Reaction Score
That is, by far, the most rational explanation of what happened. And that Swofford was as blindsided as anyone.
Think about your last statement. An assumtion the conference president was unaware of the potential conflicts within the football bunch is quite a grasp. Knowing this a plan to assuage these schools should have been in place.
Listen telling Fla State and Clemson they will play in the New York area giving them media attention their state rivals could only dream of getting would outweigh any short term gain received with picking Louisville. If these two schools were on board you think BC really had a voice?

Reaction Score
From ESPN ACC Blog Story: (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/45009/tom-jurich-is-louisvilles-mvp)

How did you outmaneuver UConn to get into the ACC?

"I didn’t outmaneuver anybody," Jurich said. "I just put our story out there."

Well, UConn was thought to be the favorite to get the spot.

"Nobody told me that," Jurich said. "So I just worried about selling Louisville. That’s all I worried about."

... and he used 16 years of powerful contacts and relationships to do that. Read this story - http://www.wdrb.com/story/20216639/...nference-fate-in-11-days?clienttype=printable

In the end... Blame the UConn BOT, we did not have the horsepower in place - they got beat by a shrewder, more experienced adversary.

I get that it's easier to blame SH/WM because they are "outsiders" but spinning up a thread of venom/vile each week isn't going to reverse it.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Think about your last statement. An assumtion the conference president was unaware of the potential conflicts within the football bunch is quite a grasp. Knowing this a plan to assuage these schools should have been in place.
Listen telling Fla State and Clemson they will play in the New York area giving them media attention their state rivals could only dream of getting would outweigh any short term gain received with picking Louisville. If these two schools were on board you think BC really had a voice?

The addition of UConn to the ACC would have been SOP for the ACC prior to Maryland leaving the ACC. Just about every media outlet reported that we would get the nod. The story started to change after about a week, and by then I'm sure Swofford knew that the southern football contingent of the ACC wanted to go with the perceived better football choice. But initially, this is purely speculative, it had to be that UConn was the choice. The longer the ACC took to come to vote, the more the talking points evolved. By then, too late. Game over.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Well, UConn was thought to be the favorite to get the spot.

"Nobody told me that," Jurich said. "So I just worried about selling Louisville. That’s all I worried about."

I've mentioned it before elsewhere, that Jurich with the comment above is directly contradicting his UConn was "penned it, not penciled in" comment. He talks out of the both sides of his mouth, and clearly that's what matters in big time sports.

Reaction Score
This is post is bad timing and perspective. We basically had an opportunity to invest and move into what was a seemingly upcoming and competitive league and football conference. We did that and have since seen our conference minimized. We are in a bad position. If there is a reasonable probability we can end up in a favorable position in 3-5 years I say invest. But it's more likely this is a self-fulfilling prophecy and the little interest there already is for UConn fball will wane when we have years of ECU, Tulsa and Tulane coming to Rent.
you can already see the schedule change in OOC for both BB and FB. The staff and people in charge know this and are doing what they can to beef up the schedule given a weaker conference. You see it already taking place.
For that that subscribe to the 'we should just joined the ACC' mentality, it's going to be tough to grasp the concept that scheduling is similar. you can't just schedule a team. there needs to be mutual agreement.

Reaction Score
The AD's trip to the VI and lackadaisical attitude toward strengthening the football program has erased thirty years of progress for UConn. After the next year or two, money to fund athletics will be exhausted and things will only get worse. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other members of the AAC get invites out and UConn continues left holding the bag as they monitor the situation.
buddy, have you been hanging with anyone calling themselves chicken little or henny penny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom