May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 10 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
Minnesota with a nice win against the Liberty. It was great to see Dorka back out there with the Lynx. I hope Diamond Miller's knee injury isn't too serious to where she is out for multiple games. But great win for Minnesota.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks. I saw the replay on ESPN's page. That's just typical AT. If she got tossed for that, she probably should've had a lot more ejections during her career.
No, not typical AT. AT plays with force on both O and D. She drives the ball relentlessly and initiates contact on O, bodies up on D with active hands and boxes out with great energy. For better or worse, that's the way the game is played at the highest level.

That foul on Reese was not a basketball play. AT overreacted to Reece's fight for the loose ball. The initial hand to the throat was a common foul, but when AT followed through on the action sending AR to the deck, that was the F2. I new it after the very 1st (of a dozen) replay and AT knew it too.

Anyway. Not "typical AT". Bad look for her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This schedule is insane. Seven games in 12 days for the Fever and people were giving Lobo grief on social media for suggesting rest for Clark and Mitchell today. I totally understand where she was coming from.
I get the fan grief though. Load management has gotten out of control on the men’s side and fans are spending hundreds if not thousands to see Clark in person. If they’re going to rest her, either reduce minutes or do it at home where fans have plenty of other opportunities to watch her play.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aww bummer. Pretty cool though how last night we had the top 4 scorers in NCAA history all on the same court (Clark, Plum, Fair and Mitchell)
I didn't even think of that. Wow.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Per Terrika (@SheKnowsSports), Fair has been waived.

I wonder why now? They don't have anybody out on injury they had to clear a spot for do they?

Anyway she hadn't been in the rotation at all thus far.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No, not typical AT. AT plays with force on both O and D. She drives the ball relentlessly and initiates contact on O, bodies up on D with active hands and boxes out with great energy. For better or worse, that's the way the game is played at the highest level.

That foul on Reese was not a basketball play. AT overreacted to Reece's fight for the loose ball. The initial hand to the throat was a common foul, but when AT followed through on the action sending AR to the deck, that was the F2. I new it after the very 1st (of a dozen) replay and AT knew it too.

Anyway. Not "typical AT". Bad look for her.
I disagree. Her over the top physical style is often pushing the boundary. This is not out of character for her to my eye.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I disagree. Her over the top physical style is often pushing the boundary. This is not out of character for her to my eye.
Link

Another example of some dirty play from Alyssa Thomas. I don’t know if there are other examples but her throw down last night really bothered me. I’m sure Angel is annoying to play against but Thomas should be suspended for grabbing her by the throat and throwing her to the floor. No place in basketball for that and Angel could’ve been seriously injured.

The league has always been physical but I feel like this year it is REALLY physical. Makes me nervous to think about Bueckers entering the league next season since she’s slight of frame and injury prone.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Link

Another example of some dirty play from Alyssa Thomas. I don’t know if there are other examples but her throw down last night really bothered me. I’m sure Angel is annoying to play against but Thomas should be suspended for grabbing her by the throat and throwing her to the floor. No place in basketball for that and Angel could’ve been seriously injured.

The league has always been physical but I feel like this year it is REALLY physical. Makes me nervous to think about Bueckers entering the league next season since she’s slight of frame and injury prone.
Wow, that was bad. That definitely looked like she intended to injure Parker. My dislike for AT is based on years of watching her; she's earned it.

Reaction Score
Dallas with a makeshift lineup is hammering Phoenix.
Mercury has a makeshift lineup as well. The mystics have the most makeshift lineup at this point in the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mercury has a makeshift lineup as well. The mystics have the most makeshift lineup at this point in the season.
Other than Griner who are the Merc missing? Dallas is down a bunch of starters.

Reaction Score
I get the fan grief though. Load management has gotten out of control on the men’s side and fans are spending hundreds if not thousands to see Clark in person. If they’re going to rest her, either reduce minutes or do it at home where fans have plenty of other opportunities to watch her play.
So do I. I'm a fan of reducing her minutes personally. Coming from major minutes in NCAA and virtually no off-season to recuperate, I'm surprised she's going for 30+ MPG.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So do I. I'm a fan of reducing her minutes personally. Coming from major minutes in NCAA and virtually no off-season to recuperate, I'm surprised she's going for 30+ MPG.
Same. Especially in blow out losses, no reason to play her more than 25 minutes with this front loaded schedule.

Reaction Score
I was able to watch the Wings/Mercury & then the Wings/Sparks games last night. I am so happy to see Maddy Siegrist getting some minutes (she was on the bench at the start of the season and now she is starting) and playing well! She is so efficient out there.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
McBride was in the zone today. 83% shooting! Hopefully this hot shooting continues for her. She is shooting 54% on this young season. Well done, Kayla!!
In Europe this year, K-Mac shot 46% from the overall field, 46% from three and 85% from the FT line while making All-Euro during her championship season at Fenerbahce this international season. She's on a roll. Coach Reeve probably should keep an eye on those minutes so K-Mac and Phee have some legs later on in the season. (K-Mac will have the Olympic break but one should watch 'Phee. Good to have Dorka back.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was able to watch the Wings/Mercury & then the Wings/Sparks games last night. I am so happy to see Maddy Siegrist getting some minutes (she was on the bench at the start of the season and now she is starting) and playing well! She is so efficient out there.
Well said, JellyBean. Maddie has emerged as one of the Wings' best players, not surprisingly to those of us who got to see her play often the past few years.

She is everything Arike is not - unselfish, efficient and team-oriented. I watched the game last night, too, and was once again amazed at how shot-happy Arike is, whether they're falling or not. Yes, she had a 40-point game recently, but so many other times she does what she tried to do vs. the Sparks: shoot the Wings out of the game.

7 of 30? Whatever Muffet McGraw was teaching her players during the 2010s, it wasn't economy of shots. Among the most egregious in the WNBA are Arike and Jewell Loyd.

I hope Maddie can keep her perspective playing with Arike, or better, that she gets sent to another team fairly soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom