May 2021 recruiting thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

May 2021 recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
According to Max Prep KK shot a very respectable 41% from deep this season. She has also shown consistent improvement with the deep ball from 18 % as a freshman to 21% as a sophomore. In fact when you look at KK's stats across the board what you see is consistent improvement over three years and a dramatic improvement (2X) in assists & deep shooting between Sophomore and Junior seasons. Is as if someone told her KK you need to work on passing and deep shooting and she went out and did.
I hope Max Prep is accurate. If so, I will stand corrected. Almost all the video of Bransford shows her powering her way to the basket, which is clearly her most impressive skill set.

In the back of my mind, I can’t help but think about all the impressive HS video on Mikayla Coombs as well as her performance in the McD AA game, where she did everything but shoot the 3. Bransford certainly has a much better shooting stroke than Coombs, so hopefully my concern is misplaced.

Reaction Score
I hope Max Prep is accurate. If so, I will stand corrected. Almost all the video of Bransford shows her powering her way to the basket, which is clearly her most impressive skill set.

In the back of my mind, I can’t help but think about all the impressive HS video on Mikayla Coombs as well as her performance in the McD AA game, where she did everything but shoot the 3. Bransford certainly has a much better shooting stroke than Coombs, so hopefully my concern is misplaced.
I dont see the comparison of Coombs and Bransford. Sure they are both guards that seem to be reluctant to shoot an outside shot. I would compare Bransford to Jackie Young. She drives to the rim, but she has the strength and speed to beat most of her defenders. She has physicality to her game that Coombs never had. I don't remember any videos of Coombs coming out of high school where she looked as impressive as Bransford. KK has some Ogunbowale to her game as well, as she likes to mix it up in the paint against opponents her size. I dont think UConn has had a player like her in a while, so she isn't easily comparable to any recent UConn player. She will be a nice get for any school. As you said, her form is nice so potentially being a good shooter can definitely be in her future.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I dont see the comparison of Coombs and Bransford. Sure they are both guards that seem to be reluctant to shoot an outside shot. I would compare Bransford to Jackie Young. She drives to the rim, but she has the strength and speed to beat most of her defenders. She has physicality to her game that Coombs never had. I don't remember any videos of Coombs coming out of high school where she looked as impressive as Bransford. KK has some Ogunbowale to her game as well, as she likes to mix it up in the paint against opponents her size. I dont think UConn has had a player like her in a while, so she isn't easily comparable to any recent UConn player. She will be a nice get for any school. As you said, her form is nice so potentially being a good shooter can definitely be in her future.
I agree with your assessment. But Bransford still has to prove that she can knock down 3’s consistently at the college level in order to be the player we all hope she is.

Reaction Score
How does Kiki Rice compare and is she a better fit at UConn. More people seam to be more Kk than Kiki???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How does Kiki Rice compare and is she a better fit at UConn. More people seam to be more Kk than Kiki???
IMO, KiKi has a better all around game than KK, and from what I’ve seen, she’s a better shooter. But it’s close, and I would take either one, or both at UConn.

Reaction Score
Personally, I’ll take a 1 or 2 that can take it to the rim, take contact, and put it in the hole.
That’s just me.

Reaction Score
IMO, KiKi has a better all around game than KK, and from what I’ve seen, she’s a better shooter. But it’s close, and I would take either one, or both at UConn.
Agreed, but neither is a sure thing long range shooter, but both are versatile at other things. If these two were class of 21 instead of 22 we probably would have to look for more outside shooting. We got great passing in the 20 class, but lacked great 3pt shooting except for Paige. We got the shooters in the 21 class, so maybe in 22 more penetration and mid range shooters will fit. In some ways KK might replace Christyn's driving game a little, and Kiki is a little bit more like Evina with the mid-range shot and more passing ability from what I can tell.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Some new names on the radar now thanks to follows by Coach Valley.

2025 Aniya Foy: 5-11 PG from Texas

2024 Gwendlyn McGrew: 5-10 G/W from Texas

Foy is ranked #2 by ASGR in the '25 class.

McGrew is ranked #5 at Prep Girls Hoops.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Aniya Foy - Class of 2025
Houston Defenders

Aniya Foy is a 5'11, point guard with elite ball handling and the ability to score at will. She can score from behind the arc, both off the dribble and on the catch. Her ball-handling ability is top tier and trips up even the best double teams. Her length allows her to elevate over shot blockers at the rim, earning many "and-ones". She recently received an offer from the University of Houston.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I mentioned Gwendlyn McGrew in my earlier article on how she’s making the transition in high school ball at Dobie and as always, she was more than enjoyable because she just goes hard, no matter what the score is, up or down, you get the same effort and with her mindset, I don’t even know how to word it other than soon to be unstoppable...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Gwendlyn McGrew

McGrew has made the transition with ease, she’s playing just about every position and showing signs that she can control a game on both ends. She’s athletic and has a college-ready body to go with D1 offers on the table yet the table hasn’t even been set because she’s relatively unknown across the country but that will change like the Houston weather however whether it does or not, she’s a #BCSLock with her NBAS range and acrobatic finishes

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
EL6118nWwAALba-

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN taking both KK and Kiki in '22 would be unwise. It would put the roster at a the maximum allowable of 15 and provide no flexibility to add a impact transfer in a very volatile transfer market. It would also put the roster at 7 guards (Fudd, Bransford, Bueckers, Muhl, Poffenbarger, Ducharme, & Rice) & provide untenable situation where 2 UCONN guards (Buckers & Fudd) are expected to be NPOY candidates and will require ~ 30 Minutes per game to get there. If I'm not mistaken you have pizzas riding on Buckers > 30 MPG. Poffenbarger, Ducharme were both projected to play some wing however with the additions of post size (DeBerry 6'5" Juhasz 6'4" and Brady 6'3" ) competition at that wing position would also be stressed an would now have to include (Senior Griffin, McClean, & Patterson). KK and Kiki are both terrific players and so Isai. UCONN adding 1 would of these players would be a great addition.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UCONN taking both KK and Kiki in '22 would be unwise. It would put the roster at a the maximum allowable of 15 and provide no flexibility to add a impact transfer in a very volatile transfer market. It would also put the roster at 7 guards (Fudd, Bransford, Bueckers, Muhl, Poffenbarger, Ducharme, & Rice) & provide untenable situation where 2 UCONN guards (Buckers & Fudd) are expected to be NPOY candidates and will require ~ 30 Minutes per game to get there. If I'm not mistaken you have pizzas riding on Buckers > 30 MPG. Poffenbarger, Ducharme were both projected to play some wing however with the additions of post size (DeBerry 6'5" Juhasz 6'4" and Brady 6'3" ) competition at that wing position would also be stressed an would now have to include (Senior Griffin, McClean, & Patterson). KK and Kiki are both terrific players and so Isai. UCONN adding 1 would of these players would be a great addition.
If both KiKi & KK decide to come to UConn, which is a long shot imo, the 2022-23 roster would total 14, not 15, assuming that Evina, Liv, Christyn & Dorka all move on to the pros after next season. As for competition for PT, it’s no different than the situation that would have been created at C/F had Cardoso come to Storrs. As far as owing someone a pizza if I lose the bet on Paige’s PT, I think my bank account will be OK if it comes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom