Matthews Decommits | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Matthews Decommits

Reaction Score
My mistake on timing. But Akinjo was released on Monday at the latest (probably before, but that's when it was announced by the school). Hurley was hired Wednesday night.

I don't think he gave one thought to the incoming recruits until he had the job. Many way more important factors involved for him and his family, than a few guys who've never set foot on campus.

And it's not unusual at all. Most schools do it. In fact, the ones who don't usually end up with bad press. There's zero advantage to holding a kid to his LOI while in limbo. Other schools are already recruiting him anyway.
In the end, it doesn't even matter. Dan Hurley was brought in to drain the swamp. That is a process. Hurley has a plan in place and a vision of the type of recruit he can bring in. Lets all collectively catch our breath and trust that he can execute. It was a home run hire and the perfect man for the job. There is no reason to think that he can't bring UConn back to an elite level. This roster, the recruiting class inlcuded, is far from elite. Hurley knows that and in an ideal world he probably would only want to keep Wilson, Adams, AG, and Carlton.

Reaction Score
LOL - It sure did with the coaching change - these last few days it has totally blown up. I really think these two guys are very good players, worth trying to keep. Sometimes there are big events above that change everything below - both good and bad - and that’s life.
Whatever Blaze strategy hay have been in place it's fairly clear KO has No strategy so I see all that happens now as good & necessary.

Reaction Score
What’d you guys expect? After a coaching change recruits re-open their recruitment. It’s standard procedure. DH has a lot going for him on the recruiting trail right now. The dark cloud has beeen removed from over the program. DH won’t have the same problems recruiting as KO did last yr. DH is a hot, young, exciting name who’s love for his players and passion for his job were just displayed for the whole country to see on national television. NE kids are going to be lining up to play for DH at UConn. Give it a little time. Let the current season end first lol

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Polley needs to get that deer in the headlights look off his face when he catches the ball and start looking at the rim when he does. For now he catches and looks to see what guard to throw it back to rarely does he look at the rim when catching it on the wing.
My impression was that it was largely the lack of offensive coaching for that. It didn't seem that anyone beyond Adams, Larrier and Vital were given the freedom to create. And for being a spot up shooter, hard when those three mostly sought their own shot.

Reaction Score
This is going to be tough for the next few years..
For the second year in a row we are out trying to fill our scholarships in April..

I seriously thought he was in the bag with his previous comments.. I guess he was being recruited the last month or so.
another gutless player. afraid to put his toes in the water. afraid to compete.

Reaction Score
another gutless player. afraid to put his toes in the water. afraid to compete.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I look at the ranking, but also who they were recruited by. It is a significant loss. Should not shock anyone. Chill is probably gone. If he is, he probably already knows. Until the KO thing shakes out and the staff is updated/settled in....this is where we are.
While I wanted KO back, I truly believe DH could be over 500 with the current squad.

Reaction Score
Immediate? You mean 2019 right?
You aren't sure DH wanted any of the 3 recruits to leave? I am almost certain that DH gave both Akinjo and Matthews his blessing to do so. I believe that Akinjo was granted his release after DB spoke to DH.
DH has a plan. He said repeatedly that the UConn brand is still strong, especially when he walks in to a gym. He wants as little as possible to do with Ollie's roster because, quite frankly, it was horrible. This idea that Matthews was going to come in and be a savior is a joke. Its more likely that he would barely even see the floor.
Good god he said that the day he was announced as head coach! That wasn't spoken from experience walking into a gym in a UConn polo. Why does it seem so many of you here lack a grasp of basic logic?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Akinjo loved Ollie and as soon as he was fired, he decommitted. Maybe Matthews was tied to Chillious and when he found out from DH that Chill wasn't on the staff he wanted to reconsider.

Maybe he'll recommit, maybe not.

Reaction Score
Good god he said that the day he was announced as head coach! That wasn't spoken from experience walking into a gym in a UConn polo. Why does it seem so many of you here lack a grasp of basic logic?
What are you talking about? You seem to be the illogical one. I am going to take his word about the brand over yours. I doubt a man with options would have taken this job if that wasnt something he believed.

Reaction Score
was chill's guy. understandable. he likes to recruit in that area and is successful. goodluck matthews, dont think he will recommit.

Reaction Score
Imno1 was in a meeting at a famous pizza establishment. What came from it was what we will call the Sally’s strategy. Since our commits were never recruited by Coach Hurley they should be given their release while both sides evaluate the situation. In the end UConn will field a team that plays hard winning basketball. Good news is coming soon

Reaction Score
was chill's guy. understandable. he likes to recruit in that area and is successful. goodluck matthews, dont think he will recommit.
I think he’s gone too. But we have Sid Wilson and Polley.

Reaction Score
I think he’s gone too. But we have Sid Wilson and Polley.
what i meant was that since chills was gone then he was gone. i guess thats my bad but yeah true, i love sidney wilson, he's from my area. hes gonna be a star here

Reaction Score
The players that are top 125+ are much different anmials than the High School and Mid-Major players. Hurley might needs to make a few adjustments if he is going to get elite talent.

Reaction Score
In the end, it doesn't even matter. Dan Hurley was brought in to drain the swamp. That is a process. Hurley has a plan in place and a vision of the type of recruit he can bring in. Lets all collectively catch our breath and trust that he can execute. It was a home run hire and the perfect man for the job. There is no reason to think that he can't bring UConn back to an elite level. This roster, the recruiting class inlcuded, is far from elite. Hurley knows that and in an ideal world he probably would only want to keep Wilson, Adams, AG, and Carlton.

MUGA baby, MUGA!!!

In case you missed it, MUGA = Make UConn Great Again!

Reaction Score
I know this is probably just the irrational, emotional part of my brain talking here, but I kinduv think that the hiring of Dan Hurley brought us back to an elite level.

Said every single program who hired a successful mid-major Coach to turn around there upper level program. It’s included with the “fire up the fanbase speech” package...

Reaction Score
Do any of you realize if he pushes a recruit out vs keeping him that also clears a scholarship for next year. You don't take a player for 1 year if you think you can get better players even if it's for 2019

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom