Matthews Decommits | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Matthews Decommits

Reaction Score
I'll give you the obvious - it opens up a spot for DH
Not so obvious and not a given - advantage UConn
I'm not too sure DH wanted to lose any of the 3 recruits
There's a lot of folks that think just because DH chose UConn that recruits were going to immediately come knocking at the door.
I hope/pray he does bring in the guys UConn needs to get back to the level it needs to be but that also means a few steps up from A10/URI level
I understand that in a coaching change there is fall-out but the optics are bad whenever kids choose to back out. Plus this is April and September is closing in quickly
When Matthews first signed there were very few who were negative, now it's "he's only a 3* - no loss"
To me it's unfortunate but I wonder if DH has reached out to him......
Immediate? You mean 2019 right?
You aren't sure DH wanted any of the 3 recruits to leave? I am almost certain that DH gave both Akinjo and Matthews his blessing to do so. I believe that Akinjo was granted his release after DB spoke to DH.
DH has a plan. He said repeatedly that the UConn brand is still strong, especially when he walks in to a gym. He wants as little as possible to do with Ollie's roster because, quite frankly, it was horrible. This idea that Matthews was going to come in and be a savior is a joke. Its more likely that he would barely even see the floor.

Reaction Score
Good lord, what do you expect him to say?

Hurley doesn't have to say anything if he's no longer interested. Or a "We wish him the best."

This board has a tendency to jump to whatever conclusion they want to believe. Well, I guess not just this board.

I hope Hurley does have ducks lined up to fall and he's pushing out legitimate recruits to make room for even better ones. That would be lovely.

Reaction Score
I'd expect him to do exactly what he's doing. Let every recruit be free to open up his recruiting again and explore his options, including coming here if it's what he wants and what Hurley wants.
Exactly, we have no clue if Hurley has any interest in him. He most likely hasn't even evaluated him, if he has already seen enough and knows he doesn't want him I highly doubt he would say that.

I have heard Hurley is going after some other kids.

Reaction Score
Landing the top 100 recruits means absolutely nothing. Ask Duke, UNC, and Kentucky. Those kids still have to play together. Just for reference (and I know it’s not comparable as far as overall talent to men’s BB), but Geno doesn’t get the most top 100 kids every year. Yet, he continues to win. Why? Because he recruits kids that fit what they do. He doesn’t just recruit kids because they’re top 100. He wants the intangibles, in addition the being talented. My point is this, let Hurley do what he was born to do.

Top 100 WCBB
UConn recruits #, others #
2012 UConn 3, UNC 4/Baylor 4
2013 UConn 1, UNC 4
2014 UConn 4, USCe 4
2015 UConn 3, Duke 5
2016 UConn 1, Oregon 5
2017 UConn 4, Tennessee 4
2018 UConn 2, Baylor 5/ND 4
Yeah....no.

I agree that fit is important. But women don't leave early to go to the pros. So from 2012 to 2015 Geno had roughly 11 top 100 players on the roster. From 2015-2018 he has had roughly 10. At any given time he has top 100 players who never see the court.

Geno is the best coach out there in a number of ways, but just because he doesn't get the top in any given year, doesn't mean he doesn't always have the best and deepest roster out there. I'm not saying he just rolls the ball out and let's the talent do the work, he doesn't. He's the best coach AND the best recruiter.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You aren't sure DH wanted any of the 3 recruits to leave? I am almost certain that DH gave both Akinjo and Matthews his blessing to do so. I believe that Akinjo was granted his release after DB spoke to DH.

LOL Hurley wasn't calling the shots on player evaluation before he even was hired. He was still in the tournament for gods sake. This part of your post is an asinine take.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn't have to say anything if he's no longer interested. Or a "We wish him the best."

This board has a tendency to jump to whatever conclusion they want to believe. Well, I guess not just this board.

I hope Hurley does have ducks lined up to fall and he's pushing out legitimate recruits to make room for even better ones. That would be lovely.
This board, well i guess not just this board, tends to overreact. To paint a sky is falling type picture because Matthews asked for his release is almost exhausting. Move on, its really not that big of a deal and will have little to no impact moving forward.

Reaction Score
LOL Hurley wasn't calling the shots on player evaluation before he even was hired. He was still in the tournament for gods sake. This is an asinine take.
URI was not in the tourney. Akinjo was released last Tuesday. By all accounts, DH spoke to DB on Monday and probably already said yes. You don't find the timing odd? It is unusual for a school to grant a release before a coach is named. The fact that it happened here leads to believe that Hurley was involved in the process.

Reaction Score
Yeah....no.

I agree that fit is important. But women don't leave early to go to the pros. So from 2012 to 2015 Geno had roughly 11 top 100 players on the roster. From 2015-2018 he has 10.

UNC had 8 total top 100 recruits. Baylor 9. Nobody else had more than 5 in the 7 year span.
UConn - 18.

Geno is the best coach out there in a number of ways, but just because he doesn't get the top in any given year, doesn't mean he doesn't always have the best and deepest roster out there. I'm not saying he just rolls the ball out and let's the talent do the work, he doesn't. He's the best coach AND the best recruiter.
Plus he seems to get the consensus # 1 rated player also.

Reaction Score
Needs shooters and a PG. Much more than bangers.
Would be happy to get a player that's willing to redshirt, work hard in the off season, push the starters in practice and eventually contribute to the rotation in jr/sr year. Cap it off with a standing ovation on senior night.

Seems like most players that have come to UCONN in the past 10 years have felt entitled...Would like a Steve Pikiell/Gavin Edwards type of kid.

There's been a shift in the program...Have had to rely grad trfrs for leadershipin recent years Need to grow some leadership from within

Reaction Score
Seems like most players that have come to UCONN in the past 10 years have felt entitled...Would like a Steve Pikiell/Gavin Edwards type of kid
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
DH has a plan. He said repeatedly that the UConn brand is still strong, especially when he walks in to a gym. He wants as little as possible to do with Ollie's roster because, quite frankly, it was horrible. This idea that Matthews was going to come in and be a savior is a joke. Its more likely that he would barely even see the floor.
It seems most of this board has been overrating recruits in the last couple of classes. Matthews looks to have some nice upside but a stiff wind could blow him over and he's a 29% three point shooter at the high school level. It's nice to think all these kids are going to be studs when they come in but in almost every case reality sets in as soon as you seem them playing games.

Haven't heard the situation on Matthews but if I had to guess Hurley is focusing on other guys.

Reaction Score
Lmao!!! Yeah , we neglected to check your new "Blaze" recruiting site and get their official "Blaze" rating. Sorry about that Chief.
Ban the word blaze.

Reaction Score

I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks, either way KO had to go & Hurley seems like the best option to replace him. Not going t0 get hung up on west coast recruits that Hurley didn't recruit, if he has a meeting of the minds with Akinjo or Matthews & there is a spot for them when Hurley figures out his 18-19 roster then great otherwise I read next to nothing into anything happening right now.

Reaction Score
I don't have "confidence" in any of them. But as a rule, super skinny Freshmen get introduced to guys like Cumberland at Cincinnati and learn a thing or two.

I am expecting Hurley to do what this roster demands he do, and not play stringbean wings as power forwards. I expect to see two of Cobb, Carlton, Diarra, Whaley, Kisunas on the floor most of the time. That leaves Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Polley, Sid and ??? to share time at the other three spots. I don't think Matthews would have earned much of that time against those players. Not saying we wouldn't want him, he hasn't even ruled us out. Maybe he will still come.

Polley is skinnier than Matthews who I believe is more confident with the ball and smoother. Polley needs to get that deer in the headlights look off his face when he catches the ball and start looking at the rim when he does. For now he catches and looks to see what guard to throw it back to rarely does he look at the rim when catching it on the wing.

No matter he's our guy now because Matthews isn't coming. Maybe there is someone else and maybe Polley adds lots of lbs to go with some confidence, I know I am hoping so.

Reaction Score
Yeah....no.

I agree that fit is important. But women don't leave early to go to the pros. So from 2012 to 2015 Geno had roughly 11 top 100 players on the roster. From 2015-2018 he has had roughly 10. At any given time he has top 100 players who never see the court.

Although I agree with your point on women not leaving for the pros and Geno being Geno, not every top 100 kid he landed stayed at UConn. So adding them up, it looks like he had 11 and 10 top 100 players, respectively. But, given a change of heart or transfer, that number is likely a bit lower.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
URI was not in the tourney. Akinjo was released last Tuesday. By all accounts, DH spoke to DB on Monday and probably already said yes. You don't find the timing odd? It is unusual for a school to grant a release before a coach is named. The fact that it happened here leads to believe that Hurley was involved in the process.

My mistake on timing. But Akinjo was released on Monday at the latest (probably before, but that's when it was announced by the school). Hurley was hired Wednesday night.

I don't think he gave one thought to the incoming recruits until he had the job. Many way more important factors involved for him and his family, than a few guys who've never set foot on campus.

And it's not unusual at all. Most schools do it. In fact, the ones who don't usually end up with bad press. There's zero advantage to holding a kid to his LOI while in limbo. Other schools are already recruiting him anyway.

Reaction Score
If Juco and the Dregs isn't a band name, it ought to be.

Would never work. Too many transfers, and jumping to another band after a year or two, but it is a great name.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I said it before KO was canned and I'll say it again now:

- who of the potential returnees or recruits was irreplaceable?
- who would we really fight to keep?
Nobody is irreplaceable. Nobody.

That said, if you're okay with the decommit/jettison of a 6'7" shooter, I think you'd better have the replacement in mind. If you feel like he duplicates Wilson and Polley (to a degree he definitely does) then those guys are his "replacement."

So he's a 3 star? Remember, not all guys reach their peak by the time LOI day rolls around. Some will be great as freshmen, some mediocre. Of that group, some will improve significantly over time. Some never pan out. This player has good wing size, shooting ability, and pretty good athleticism from what I saw on video.

C

Chief00

So you are saying the Blaze methodology lacked staying power?
LOL - It sure did with the coaching change - these last few days it has totally blown up. I really think these two guys are very good players, worth trying to keep. Sometimes there are big events above that change everything below - both good and bad - and that’s life.

Reaction Score
Landing the most top 100 recruits means absolutely nothing. Ask Duke, UNC, and Kentucky. Those kids still have to play together. Just for reference (and I know it’s not comparable as far as overall talent to men’s BB), but Geno doesn’t get the most top 100 kids every year. Yet, he continues to win. Why? Because he recruits kids that fit what they do. He doesn’t just recruit kids because they’re top 100. He wants the intangibles, in addition the being talented. My point is this, let Hurley do what he was born to do.

Top 100 WCBB
UConn recruits #, others #
2012 UConn 3, UNC 4/Baylor 4
2013 UConn 1, UNC 4
2014 UConn 4, USCe 4
2015 UConn 3, Duke 5
2016 UConn 1, Oregon 5
2017 UConn 4, Tennessee 4
2018 UConn 2, Baylor 5/ND 4

Please stop!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Although I agree with your point on women not leaving for the pros and Geno being Geno, not every top 100 kid he landed stayed at UConn. So adding them up, it looks like he had 11 and 10 top 100 players, respectively. But, given a change of heart or transfer, that number is likely a bit lower.

Okay, but then you have to consider the transfers from other schools too.

If you do a little research, you’d be surprised by what you find.
I spent 5 minutes, don't want to spend any more than that, but if you send links, i'll check them out.

I found that in 2017 he got #1, #13, #16, and #29.

This year he has #1 and #5.

Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore. He usually gets the best player in the country, and when you do that 2 or 3 out of every 4 years, along with the surrounding cast, you're going to have the best talent. A'Ja Wilson had no help the other night, UConn is just stacked.

I think we agree more than we disagree though. We've gotta let Hurley do his thing, he has a good reputation as a decent recruiter and a good coach.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom