Matthews Decommits | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Matthews Decommits

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Interesting. Of all the true frosh kisunas is the one I’d be most ok losing. Now he’s the only one left.

Yeah, Akinjo was that PG replacement we needed. Would love to get him if for only reason that it takes the pressure off for the following year.

Reaction Score
Why is everybody so ornery right now? Jeez.
It means that the player is either keeping us as a potential landing spot or is just saying that to be respectful to us even if he doesn't mean it.
No need to get all insulty about it and attack your fellow BYers.
Perma ban this guy.

LMAO. What?

I was making fun of all the different hot takes. Attacking people? You're the one calling for banning someone.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yeah, Akinjo was that PG replacement we needed. Would love to get him if for only reason that it takes the pressure off for the following year.

Yeah and you don’t really want a true frosh pg having the keys to the kingdom (typically)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The kid has skills and given the way this seems to be going in this thread, I might take flack for it - but I'm really not cut up about any of the incoming kids leaving at all. I just don't trust Ollie as a talent evaluator anymore. Wish the kids the best and it's hard to replace kids that like to a degree I guess - I just never got attached to any of the incoming kids because it was so obvious Ollie was going to get canned and even if he wasn't, we're like a waste bin for underachieving top 125 guys the last four-five years. Dunno how much it's the talent or the coaching, but being on the conservative side, I think it's both.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The kid has skills and given the way this seems to be going in this thread, I might take flack for it - but I'm really not cut up about any of the incoming kids leaving at all. I just don't trust Ollie as a talent evaluator anymore. Wish the kids the best and it's hard to replace kids that like to a degree I guess - I just never got attached to any of the incoming kids because it was so obvious Ollie was going to get canned and even if he wasn't, we're like a waste bin for underachieving top 125 guys the last four-five years. Dunno how much it's the talent or the coaching, but being on the conservative side, I think it's both.
To a degree I’m with you, but I think the right coaching gets a lot more out of many of the kids we’ve seen struggle, that their talent level is not as bad as it has seemed at times.

Reaction Score
Would be happy to get a player that's willing to redshirt, work hard in the off season, push the starters in practice and eventually contribute to the rotation in jr/sr year. Cap it off with a standing ovation on senior night.

Seems like most players that have come to UCONN in the past 10 years have felt entitled...Would like a Steve Pikiell/Gavin Edwards type of kid.

There's been a shift in the program...Have had to rely grad trfrs for leadershipin recent years Need to grow some leadership from within

You may not have noticed; but we have won 2 championships in the last ten years. It will be ok. The change was needed. Embrace change.

Reaction Score
Hurley said multiple times that the players have to buy in to how he runs a program. It's his way or the highway (which reminds me of a guy named Jim Calhoun). He's making room for the big fish.
Please no tuna talk.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Mark my words: he’s going to lead some team to seven championships in the next five years.
I'd be unhappy enough with five championships in seven years, but I hope you're right.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Question . Out of all the decommits and transfers out we've had over the years , does it ever work out better for those kids. I can't recall any scenario in which things worked out "better" for kids. I don't recall any championship won or kids going pro.

Reaction Score
I think Matthews is better than Polley or Whaley coming out of HS but we need to start getting high-major athletes again. I'm tired of the string bean, mid-major-level athletes who need to spend two years in the weight room before they're valuable rotation pieces on a good team. I'm fine with thinner players if they can jump out of the gym or are quick. When you aren't a plus-athlete in any regard (strength, leaping, quickness) then we need to say 'no', unless you can shoot the living piss out of a basketball.
I don't know, some of Ram brethren seem to believe that move to UConn from URI is just a lateral move.

I politely reminded them of UConn's 4 NC's while acknowledging I understand their disappointment at losing the coach that turned them from losers into a quality program. Also admonished them for dumping on Hurley, questioning his statements about how difficult the decision was, questioning how honest he was when he said UConn was his dream job and included a link to Jacobs' article so they could read what he and his wife had to say about the decision and her first impression of how rabid UConn fans were when she went to his last game at Seton Hall and saw the huge turnout of UConn fans at an away game.

Reaction Score
Question . Out of all the decommits and transfers out we've had over the years , does it ever work out better for those kids. I can't recall any scenario in which things worked out "better" for kids. I don't recall any championship won or kids going pro.

Mo Harkless is one. He ended up getting drafted 15 overall after his freshman season with St. John's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Gonna get you on a technicality with Andrew Bynum.

Reaction Score
Actually a lateral move would be easterly from Kingston to North Haven which would be Quinnipiac University. UConn would be on a higher latitude.

If you went easterly from Kingston to get to Hamden it would be a distance of about 17,000 miles. That would be a big lateral move....

Reaction Score
Probably did for Curtis Kelly.

Reaction Score

Good point. It sure didn't work out better for Alex Oriakhi or Roscoe Smith.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Probably did for Curtis Kelly.

Yep. Him and Bynum so far. I think Robert Garrison did well at Niagara. Might've had a better personal career. More playing time for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody is irreplaceable. Nobody.

That said, if you're okay with the decommit/jettison of a 6'7" shooter, I think you'd better have the replacement in mind. If you feel like he duplicates Wilson and Polley (to a degree he definitely does) then those guys are his "replacement."

So he's a 3 star? Remember, not all guys reach their peak by the time LOI day rolls around. Some will be great as freshmen, some mediocre. Of that group, some will improve significantly over time. Some never pan out. This player has good wing size, shooting ability, and pretty good athleticism from what I saw on video.

You're right. I've mentioned it before, but a good corollary might be comparing the two Lambs who were freshmen in 2010-11. Jeremy was the 4 star and Doron was the 5 star. We missed on Doron and it turned out to be a big break because of how Jeremy developed by the end of his freshman year while Doron never got better than he was in high school. So now, while Jeremy is in the NBA and doing well, Doron is in the G League.
Not all the highly rated guys pan out and other guys hit their stride after high school. That was our hope with the guys Chillious was recruiting and that was his reputation.

Reaction Score
I thought Roscoe could have been an NBA talent

He supposedly transferred because he wanted to be guaranteed he'd play small forward where he could hone his shooting skills for the NBA. Apparently wasn't guaranteed at UConn so he took the promise Dave Rice made him at UNLV...........where he ended up playing power forward and putting up monster rebounding numbers.

Shooting not so great, but he sure had clock management down pat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom