Matt Cross Leaves Miami | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Matt Cross Leaves Miami

Reaction Score
strong build and is effective in traffic. Much more of a productive player than an explosive athlete. Combo forward type who rebounds well, shoots well and can play on the wing or in high post. Adequate ball handler and passer. Smart defender who has versatility, although he is not the quickest defender.

He better be a very good shooter.
Wouldn't you say that the description above also pretty closely fits Giffey? That's the type of player he is A couple inches shorter but effective in all the same ways.

Reaction Score
If there's mutual interest. Will trust the Carpenter on this one.

Eye ball test.MC does have a nice stroke on his jumpers.

Reaction Score
Miami Herald:

We’re told Larranaga had trouble getting through to Cross, who had confidence issues and became detached when he wasn’t playing well, according to a source.

Cross did not violate any UM rules or have any disciplinary issues, according to the source.

Cross told colleague Michelle Kaufman on Friday that “unfortunately it did not work out,” among other things you can read here.

Cross averaged 6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds in 14 games, including nine starts. He shot 45.5 percent and 40 percent on threes (20 for 50).

Reaction Score
Miami Harold:

We’re told Larranaga had trouble getting through to Cross, who had confidence issues and became detached when he wasn’t playing well, according to a source.

Cross did not violate any UM rules or have any disciplinary issues, according to the source.

Cross told colleague Michelle Kaufman on Friday that “unfortunately it did not work out,” among other things you can read here.

Cross averaged 6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds in 14 games, including nine starts. He shot 45.5 percent and 40 percent on threes (20 for 50).
Seems strange to hang a kid out to dry if they are having confidence issues. Especially a freshman. Just seems odd to me. College coaches need to be mentors as much as they are basketball coaches. I don’t know the full story and i don’t know much about the reputation of Jim Larranaga but after having heard it was Miami’s decision i just think it’s strange. Sometimes it just isn’t a good fit for either party

Reaction Score
had confidence issues and became detached when he wasn’t playing well

Cross averaged 6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds in 14 games, including nine starts. He shot 45.5 percent and 40 percent on threes
he must have very high expectations for himself as he was playing well for a freshman by most any standards. hurley could really motivate this kid. larranaga prob just wanted to take naps.

Reaction Score
Seems strange to hang a kid out to dry if they are having confidence issues. Especially a freshman. Just seems odd to me. College coaches need to be mentors as much as they are basketball coaches. I don’t know the full story and i don’t know much about the reputation of Jim Larranaga but after having heard it was Miami’s decision i just think it’s strange. Sometimes it just isn’t a good fit for either party
There was another article mentioning his player-coach relationships being better with the older staff versus younger staff. But to be honest I am not sure who’s character this reflects more given the fact that Miami doesn’t have the basketball mentality, as say, UConn. Not taking anything away from their program but our perigee and culture is different... also we are closer to home which is a plus.

Reaction Score
Thanking @Austin316 for the link to the Miami Herald article. A number of points of interest. He's going to finish the semester at Miami, and might even consider football. I didn't realize that he played other sports. Also played for Leo Papile Boston AAU who was an influence going to Miami. What is our relationship there? List of schools included Iowa which I could see as being just their type of kid. We obviously know the Brewster staff well, whatever their influence might be. I hope we pursue him.

Today at 6pm I hope the stream from New Hampton works to watch Brewster vs New Hampton. I have never seen Yann Farrell or Desonte Bowen play. Brewster's roster didn't show on line so I guess I'll just have to figure out other players. New Hampton is Alex Karaban and a cast of blue collar excellent players. Everybody's first game so there may be rust. The 2 teams play each other again tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Thanking @Austin316 for the link to the Miami Herald article. A number of points of interest. He's going to finish the semester at Miami, and might even consider football. I didn't realize that he played other sports. Also played for Leo Papile Boston AAU who was an influence going to Miami. What is our relationship there? List of schools included Iowa which I could see as being just their type of kid. We obviously know the Brewster staff well, whatever their influence might be. I hope we pursue him.

Today at 6pm I hope the stream from New Hampton works to watch Brewster vs New Hampton. I have never seen Yann Farrell or Desonte Bowen play. Brewster's roster didn't show on line so I guess I'll just have to figure out other players. New Hampton is Alex Karaban and a cast of blue collar excellent players. Everybody's first game so there may be rust. The 2 teams play each other again tomorrow.

This kid would be a fool to consider football. He has a chance at a fat NBA contract if he keeps improving. By most standards he was doing really, really well for a freshman. I hope we extend an offer.

Reaction Score
This kid would be a fool to consider football. He has a chance at a fat NBA contract if he keeps improving. By most standards he was doing really, really well for a freshman. I hope we extend an offer.
Matt Harpring comes to mind. Slim chance he could be as good as Harpring but that's who comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Matt Cross is Larranaga's first transfer since 2017. Knowing nothing of the situation, that makes me more leery of Cross than if Miami was known for having transfers poached by other teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well Matt may be Cross but he's definitely not mad.

Reaction Score
In the case of Cross, the fact that he is good enough to play high-major basketball isn’t in question, so there isn’t a ton of work from an evaluation standpoint that needs to be done.

Due to the fact that an evaluation isn’t needed, the first thing any smart college coach does is call around to people that know the prospect and were close to him outside of the realm of his family and even the coaching staff of the school that he was at.

In the case of Cross, it would be his AAU Coach Leo Papile from BABC, and his final high school coach, Jason Smith at Brewster Academy, along with others who are from the Boston area that are engrained in the grassroots hoops culture.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Is he really a perimeter piece though? If we see him on the perimeter handling the ball in the weave we should pursue, if we see him as another stretch 4 no way. We are loaded at that stretch 4/combo forward type spot; Johnson, Akok, Martin, Jackson, Richie can all play that role. In mostly a 3 guard offense. I’m just not sure the need is there. What we really need is an off guard. We’re replacing Bouk with a wing and a point guard.

Reaction Score
In the case of Cross, the fact that he is good enough to play high-major basketball isn’t in question, so there isn’t a ton of work from an evaluation standpoint that needs to be done.

Due to the fact that an evaluation isn’t needed, the first thing any smart college coach does is call around to people that know the prospect and were close to him outside of the realm of his family and even the coaching staff of the school that he was at.

In the case of Cross, it would be his AAU Coach Leo Papile from BABC, and his final high school coach, Jason Smith at Brewster Academy, along with others who are from the Boston area that are engrained in the grassroots hoops culture.

Didn't Cross play at Woodstock Academy prior to the move north to Brewster?

Reaction Score
Is he really a perimeter piece though? If we see him on the perimeter handling the ball in the weave we should pursue, if we see him as another stretch 4 no way. We are loaded at that stretch 4/combo forward type spot; Johnson, Akok, Martin, Jackson, Richie can all play that role. In mostly a 3 guard offense. I’m just not sure the need is there. What we really need is an off guard. We’re replacing Bouk with a wing and a point guard.
Could easily play him and Martin or Jackson together with two guards and no offense to Richie, but he’s not going to pre-empt them from bringing someone else in at this point. With what this team has right now, you take the flier on a 6’6 guy who can hit 3s at a 40% clip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom