Matt Cross Leaves Miami | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Matt Cross Leaves Miami

Reaction Score
Could easily play him and Martin or Jackson together with two guards and no offense to Richie, but he’s not going to pre-empt them from bringing someone else in at this point. With what this team has right now, you take the flier on a 6’6 guy who can hit 3s at a 40% clip.
Hard to know what the roster looks like next year with COVID eligibility/transfer flexibility. New guys coming in. What are the needs for next year? The BY has been concerned about lack of shooting.MC is a shooter.

But based on the eye ball test from videos/tape provided by the BY. He's a plus passer with good hands. Scrappy on the boards. Has a really nice stroke from distance. Is he a good teammate? If DH sees a need and MC is interested. Why not?

Will leave you with this question which I consider relevant to his decision. How happy will he be with the prospect of fewer minutes than starter minutes if he came here? Does he see himself as a "featured " player? As you mentioned above.. We will continue to have deep rosters with talent upgrades.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't Cross play at Woodstock Academy prior to the move north to Brewster?
I guess that means he goes to Umass with that coach dating Tre Mitchells mom. I think 8 guys on that team Went there. I’m sure thats a healthy, vibrant culture lol.

Reaction Score
I guess that means he goes to Umass with that coach dating Tre Mitchells mom. I think 8 guys on that team Went there. I’m sure thats a healthy, vibrant culture lol.
Prefer to put a more positive spin on it since he's already shown he can play in the ACC. Because of his familiarity with UConn by virtue of their proximity to Woodstock and he's a NE kid.. Maybe he would be interested in a school that was on his short list before the Miami decision.

Reaction Score
Is he really a perimeter piece though? If we see him on the perimeter handling the ball in the weave we should pursue, if we see him as another stretch 4 no way. We are loaded at that stretch 4/combo forward type spot; Johnson, Akok, Martin, Jackson, Richie can all play that role. In mostly a 3 guard offense. I’m just not sure the need is there. What we really need is an off guard. We’re replacing Bouk with a wing and a point guard.
but there are 2 open schollys so hurley can still get a G. cross is a good shooter which the team needs more than anything and we wont be using a 3 guard offense much with 2 of akok/martin/aj starting

also, if whaley/carlton/polley all leave, then we wont be that deep in the frontcourt. samson and springs (both unproven) are the only guys that could backup sanogo so we'd need a healthy rotation of 4 other forwards: martin/aj/akok/cross

edit-nvm

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
According to the Miami board Cross basically has issues with authority. Larranaga asked cross several times to stop wearing different color shoes, Cross insisted on wearing different color shoes. Came to a head last game Larranaga threatened to kick him off the team unless he wore the same color shoes, Cross said IDGAF came out in different color shoes and was benched and kicked off the team lol

Reaction Score
According to the Miami board Cross basically has issues with authority. Larranaga asked cross several times to stop wearing different color shoes, Cross insisted on wearing different color shoes. Came to a head last game Larranaga threatened to kick him off the team unless he wore the same color shoes, Cross said IDGAF came out in different color shoes and was benched and kicked off the team lol

LOL if that's the case. So long as he puts on the jersey and performs, come on down (up to CT).

Reaction Score
888.jpg

Reaction Score
LOOOOOOOOOORDY... Hate to comment without getting both sides of the story, but I wouldn't go within 3 miles of this kid. Hard pass.

Reaction Score
Would love to see him try that with Hurley. Although, I don’t think Hurley cares about what your wearing. I sense kid is either really spoiled or was simply just fed up. Probably a pass.

Reaction Score
Yeah neither guy comes off all that great in that story. If the coach tells you something, whether you agree or not you need to listen. That being said, who tf cares about different colored shoes?
Kids are being coddled too much. If the coach wants everyone in the same shoes, respect it. There is an element of unity there and I can see why a coach might take issue with someone insisting on drawing attention to himself. We keep getting further and further away from discipline and fear of authority as a society. I don't think Larranaga is wrong here, maybe old school, but not wrong.

Reaction Score
Kids are being coddled too much. If the coach wants everyone in the same shoes, respect it. There is an element of unity there and I can see why a coach might take issue with someone insisting on drawing attention to himself. We keep getting further and further away from discipline and fear of authority as a society. I don't think Larranaga is wrong here, maybe old school, but not wrong.
he's not wrong for kicking him off the team but he's probably wrong for getting that worked up over shoes

Reaction Score

No. The issue is not whether Cross's or Larranaga's view of whether a player should be free to wear mismatching shoes is correct. If you think Cross's view is correct, that's fine. But the issue is whether someone recognizes authority and chains of command and is willing to accept instructions that he thinks are stupid. If he isn't, you don't want him in the workforce and you don't want him on your team. Because there is no reason to think that a player who won't accept a coach's authority on how to look on the court will accept his authority as to whether he's supposed to shoot 3s off the dribble while being guarded, as an example.

Reaction Score
It's irrelevant because last time I checked UConn isn't in the Big 10 or SEC, but I'd still take this kid in a heartbeat. Who cares if he wanted to wear 2 different color shoes?

Reaction Score
lol funny you read it that way, I read it and thought "I wouldn't go within 3 miles of this coach." Imagine getting that worked up over shoes? lmao
Track record vs. Track record.

Coach always wins.

These kids are coddled so much, again, hard pass.

Reaction Score
Seems like the shoes must have been the straw that broke the camels back. The two of them must not have been a good pairing. That’s on the coach for not building a relationship, but I also have a problem with a kid who can’t follow a seemingly very simple request from his coach.

Reaction Score
You don't know kids if you think this was about shoes.

Clearly the kid didn't respect his coach. Maybe Larranaga deserved it, maybe he didn't. Could've just been a bad fit--who knows. The shoes were just the last straw and the kid decided to put his foot down.

Reaction Score
No. The issue is not whether Cross's or Larranaga's view of whether a player should be free to wear mismatching shoes is correct. If you think Cross's view is correct, that's fine. But the issue is whether someone recognizes authority and chains of command and is willing to accept instructions that he thinks are stupid. If he isn't, you don't want him in the workforce and you don't want him on your team. Because there is no reason to think that a player who won't accept a coach's authority on how to look on the court will accept his authority as to whether he's supposed to shoot 3s off the dribble while being guarded, as an example.
It would be very stupid to bring up shoe color in any way at any time regarding basketball

Reaction Score
Sounds like he was told several times about not wearing 2 mismatching shoes. Cross chose to not listen to the coach. Regardless of the nature of the request, it shows he is disrespectful. Coach had no other choice here. Cross defies him on shoes, what would be next? Then, other players might try something else.

I cannot imagine JC or DH putting up with that. And, I cannot imagine any UConn player I ever knew of, that would pull the shoe routine.

Next.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Sounds like he was told several times about not wearing 2 mismatching shoes. Cross chose to not listen to the coach. Regardless of the nature of the request, it shows he is disrespectful. Coach had no other choice here. Cross defies him on shoes, what would be next? Then, other players might try something else.

I cannot imagine JC or DH putting up with that. And, I cannot imagine any UConn player I ever knew of, that would pull the shoe routine.

Next.
DH would likely compromise with him, different colors for home games only or something. JC would absolutely kick him off the team in this situation, maybe sooner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom