Massey Ratings - 1/26/18 | The Boneyard

Massey Ratings - 1/26/18

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice, Massey Ratings has moved Baylor ahead of Mississippi St into the #2 position in their computer rankings. Won't be surprised if the NCAA Tournament Committee still holds their schedule against them, but with other teams dropping games (i.e. Tenn, Texas)... hard to imagine they won't move up in the next reveal.

Reaction Score
If UConn were to lose to South Carolina (Gof forbid) do you think they would be moved to the number two or three spot?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If UConn were to lose to South Carolina (Gof forbid) do you think they would be moved to the number two or three spot?

Officer-Barbrady-Nothing-to-Hear-Here.jpg

Reaction Score
it better take a lot more then my question for UConn to lose this game.................mojo or no mojo...........

HGN

Reaction Score
From what I saw of Baylor in the Baylor vs Texas game , Baylor should be ranked ahead of Miss. St.....Baylor is an awesome team with tremendous size. I am not sure if anybody is eager to play them right now.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice, Massey Ratings has moved Baylor ahead of Mississippi St into the #2 position in their computer rankings. Won't be surprised if the NCAA Tournament Committee still holds their schedule against them, but with other teams dropping games (i.e. Tenn, Texas)... hard to imagine they won't move up in the next reveal.

Yes, but the ratings difference is razor thin - 0.02, and I think it has flip-flopped before due to changes to their opponents or maybe even opponents opponents ratings. I've been treating them as virtually tied for some time (It might be nice if someone did a graph, which would show the differences more clearly.)

Reaction Score
From what I saw of Baylor in the Baylor vs Texas game , Baylor should be ranked ahead of Miss. St.....Baylor is an awesome team with tremendous size. I am not sure if anybody is eager to play them right now.
Was also impressed. Now I need to see them replicate that on Texas's home court or any neutral court.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Which team would be the more difficult matchup for UConn, Baylor or Mississippi State?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Which team would be the more difficult matchup for UConn, Baylor or Mississippi State?
Neither . UConns guards will shut down both Baylor and Miss St guards and that will be the difference. One other point Stevens is to quick for either club to defend one on one. She will get opponents in foul trouble. This UConn team is way to quick at the guard positions and that is the difference.

HGN

Reaction Score
Both would be a tremendous challenge for Uconn with their size, which Uconn lacks this year outside of Azura. But if I had to pick , I would say Baylor presents the bigger challenge , literally , with Brown(6'7) and Cox(6'4). Both have size and strength. And Brown is just a HUGE monster in there.

I'm just glad Uconn doesn't have to tangle with either of them before NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
Both would be a tremendous challenge for Uconn with their size, which Uconn lacks this year outside of Azura. But if I had to pick , I would say Baylor presents the bigger challenge , literally , with Brown(6'7) and Cox(6'4). Both have size and strength. And Brown is just a HUGE monster in there.

I'm just glad Uconn doesn't have to tangle with either of them before NCAA Tournament.

Turn the game into a track meet and you eliminate Cox from consideration. On a neutral court UCONN would beat both Baylor and Miss St handily!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Turn the game into a track meet and you eliminate Cox from consideration. On a neutral court UCONN would beat both Baylor and Miss St handily!
Didn’t beat MSU handily on a neutral court last year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

By the end of February, the committee won't hold Baylor's schedule against them because by then, due to Baylor's backloaded schedule, their SOS will be nothing to sneeze at. They will have played Texas, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, and Oklahoma at least twice each. If Baylor runs the table they will be a #1 seed, I guarantee it.

Reaction Score
Do scores mater in Massey ratings ? . . . does a two-point win count the same as a twenty point win ?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Do scores mater in Massey ratings ? . . . does a two-point win count the same as a twenty point win ?
Yes and no.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
RPI (realtimerpi and the NCAA) has Notre Dame second, MSST third, and Baylor tenth. I don't put much stock in computer rankings.

Reaction Score
The RPI is not a true computer ranking. It does not look at the score or even the results of individual games. It is just a mathematical formula based on the team's record and their opponent's records. The best example of this is how UCONN was not ranked number 1 by RPI several times in recent years despite being undefeated and beating most of the next best teams handily. Massey and Sagarin use the actual scores and results and are typically very good ranking systems.

Reaction Score
By the end of February, the committee won't hold Baylor's schedule against them because by then, due to Baylor's backloaded schedule, their SOS will be nothing to sneeze at. They will have played Texas, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, and Oklahoma at least twice each. If Baylor runs the table they will be a #1 seed, I guarantee it.
Maryland thought that way last year. Just sayin';)

Reaction Score
Maryland only played one game against a ranked team after the first reveal, and they lost. Baylor already has a decisive win over a top 10 team. The situations are not comparable

Plebe

Reaction Score
Did they?

Maryland was in a completely different situation playing in the Big Ten. The only RPI top 25 opponent on their conference schedule was Ohio State (whom they lost to) and there was nowhere else for Maryland to pick up quality wins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom