Maryland Game Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Maryland Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This board has a knack of thinking that because a player has ONE great game (see Dangerfield) that player is going to be a star. As you have shown, this game was not a norm for her. If MD plays Uconn again I believe Uconn will be all over her.
I remember Doug Williams who was a mediocre quarterback at best in the NFL had the game of a lifetime in the Superbowl against Denver and put up almost historic numbers in that game. I think he threw something like 4 touchdowns in one quarter and nothing else in his career ever approached that. Sometimes, everything clicks and I'm not suggesting this Maryland kid is a one hit wonder but she may never approach numbers like she did tonight in any potential meeting with the Huskies. Only time will tell.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I guess if playing in pain and barfing on the sideline and then scoring 23 is growing up---//???
To me the maturation of KLS was--sick or well--she had done this before- She put the team on her scoring hand and got into a zone--taking shots from every possible position and angle--and making them.
The maturation was the focus that Lou was able to play with, ignoring how ill she is and putting 150% of what little energy she had into winning the game. She looked positively Taurasi-ish last night, especially that one-handed, off-balance shot on the baseline. She assumed Diana's mental toughness in a way she hadn't before. That's what Geno meant.

Reaction Score
Collier also deserves a lot of credit for last night's win. While she struggled for most of the game(especially to her standards) and committed some dumb fouls, she was key during the last 4 minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
My guess is to win multiple championships at MD.
I rarely have more than a few bad words for a kid who wants to win multiple Championships and does not want to go to Uconn--that's like a kid wanting to be a super movie/theater star, president, astronaut---it is seeking a goal. Not a thing wrong with this --even on MD or even Tn.

Reaction Score
This board has a knack of thinking that because a player has ONE great game (see Dangerfield) that player is going to be a star. As you have shown, this game was not a norm for her. If MD plays Uconn again I believe Uconn will be all over her.

Doo----Danger has had many great games--only one or 2 for Uconn so far. My postings of Danger and my putting a Star on her back--was because of what i have seen her do--and her potential by being coached by Geno. You've seen moments of her greatness--soon we'll see the whole package.
'Slocum---had a terrific game--we give her that. Geno--fool me once, shame on you---fool me twice shame on me.
How many times has a player like Mitchel, Shonnie(sp), Angel , ever had two super great games against a Geno team///

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought UConn was all over her tonight defensively. I don't recall any wide open shots. There was a hand in her face, and you really can't ask much more than that from the defense. Slocum was hitting them from well behind the line. It was just her night. Can she do it again if these teams match up in the tourney? Maybe, but I certainly wouldn't count on it if I'm Coach Frese.
No! Most who guarded her gave her two to three feet instead of getting in her face. Make her put it on the floor and drive. That way help would have been waiting.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
And UCONN would have no need to be "all over her" if they didn't think she was going to be a star.
A player does not have to be a star to warrant the attention of an opponent. They would be all over her to make sure she did not have the same success she had in last nights' game. That should not be so hard to understand.

Reaction Score
I thought it was surprising that Geno didn't pull Gabby after her second foul with about 2 min. To go in the first half. Usually it's a basic coaching move.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A player does not have to be a star to warrant the attention of an opponent. They would be all over her to make sure she did not have the same success she had in last nights' game. That should not be so hard to understand.
A player that warrants special attention from a UCONN defense is either an established star or on her way to being one.

Reaction Score
I don't have a whole lot to add to the 19 pages of comments, but what the heck, I'll put in my two cents worth. Most of my comments will be about what I saw from Maryland. Destiny Slocum is a player and will have a very productive college career, as will several other of the Maryland players in their loaded freshman class. However, having said that, I feel she dribbles the ball too much. She has a nice three point shot, but a lot of those three point shots were made in the fourth quarter when it looked like the Huskies were more concerned with clogging the passing lanes to try to stop the bleeding down low when we couldn't contest layups because of foul trouble. And, she needs to work on her defense to truly become a complete player. Even the Maryland fans were making that comment. She seems to prefer moving to her left to initiate the offense. I wonder how she would adjust if the defense forces her to her right? But hey, she is just a freshman and she has a lot of potential if Brenda and her assistants can work with her to make her a complete player. If they can, she is going to be one heck of a player by her senior year.

Maryland's wing players are big and quick. I think part of the foul problems were a result of defenders being a half step slow getting to their positions. The Terrapins may have the quickest wing players the Huskies will see all year. In that respect, I think they may prove to be a tougher opponent than South Carolina.

In general, to my eyes Maryland's offensive plan is to create mismatches and relies on dribble drive penetration for layups with passes to cutting wings or kick outs for three point shots if the driver is cut off. They don't work the ball around the perimeter to free up a shooter on the outside or find a back door cut as some other teams do. They do a pretty good job at it for the most part. This will give a lot of teams fits, but they aren't as efficient offensively as UConn (who is, honestly?). It also is a less effective offensive game plan when the opponent plays a switching defense as effectively as the Huskies do. Without the foul trouble, this game isn't close. However, the way the game played out, especially coming back from a 19 point deficit, the Terrapins have to feel pretty good about themselves. I'm sure they got a lot of confidence from this game and they will think they have a formula for competing with the Huskies if they see them again in the tournament (get Collier and Williams in foul trouble) and they just may have the talent and depth to be successful with it if the officiating is tight. Both teams will be better come tournament time and unless they are both put in the same half of the draw, last night looks like it was a good preview of a potential NC game.

Of course, UConn has Geno and Maryland has Brenda. I know she rubs a lot of boneyarders the wrong way, but I don't think she is as horrible an in game coach as some think. She took some timely time outs yesterday when the game could have gotten out of hand and I saw adjustments to her game plan. She just isn't as good at it as Geno is. I was sitting under the basket at the Maryland end of the floor and got to watch how she handled her team during time outs. She had their attention and she was teaching rather than screeching at her players. She was advocating for her players and working the refs at least as hard if not harder than Geno was (and Geno had to be held back by CD - I can't see any of Brenda's assistants trying to hold her back ;)). Unless the Terrapins play flat against Ohio State, I see them running the table in the Big Ten (or twelve, or whatever they are). Inexplicable lapses were their downfall last year. I don't see this group having those same lapses this season from what I have seen of their play so far.

I am not counting out Baylor or SC by any stretch of the imagination, though. Those teams have size, and a lot of it (especially Baylor) but they don't have Maryland's quickness IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought it was surprising that Geno didn't pull Gabby after her second foul with about 2 min. To go in the first half. Usually it's a basic coaching move.

He also had Collier in. He had both in with two fouls. Don't think this year you are going to see "basic coaching moves" in tight games. Our core 4 has all-american potential. He is going to try to squeeze every minute of them as he can.

Reaction Score
I don't have a whole lot to add to the 19 pages of comments, but what the heck, I'll put in my two cents worth. Most of my comments will be about what I saw from Maryland. Destiny Slocum is a player and will have a very productive college career, as will several other of the Maryland players in their loaded freshman class. However, having said that, I feel she dribbles the ball too much. She has a nice three point shot, but a lot of those three point shots were made in the fourth quarter when it looked like the Huskies were more concerned with clogging the passing lanes to try to stop the bleeding down low when we couldn't contest layups because of foul trouble. And, she needs to work on her defense to truly become a complete player. Even the Maryland fans were making that comment. She seems to prefer moving to her left to initiate the offense. I wonder how she would adjust if the defense forces her to her right? But hey, she is just a freshman and she has a lot of potential if Brenda and her assistants can work with her to make her a complete player. If they can, she is going to be one heck of a player by her senior year.

Maryland's wing players are big and quick. I think part of the foul problems were a result of defenders being a half step slow getting to their positions. The Terrapins may have the quickest wing players the Huskies will see all year. In that respect, I think they may prove to be a tougher opponent than South Carolina.

In general, to my eyes Maryland's offensive plan is to create mismatches and relies on dribble drive penetration for layups with passes to cutting wings or kick outs for three point shots if the driver is cut off. They don't work the ball around the perimeter to free up a shooter on the outside or find a back door cut as some other teams do. They do a pretty good job at it for the most part. This will give a lot of teams fits, but they aren't as efficient offensively as UConn (who is, honestly?). It also is a less effective offensive game plan when the opponent plays a switching defense as effectively as the Huskies do. Without the foul trouble, this game isn't close. However, the way the game played out, especially coming back from a 19 point deficit, the Terrapins have to feel pretty good about themselves. I'm sure they got a lot of confidence from this game and they will think they have a formula for competing with the Huskies if they see them again in the tournament (get Collier and Williams in foul trouble) and they just may have the talent and depth to be successful with it if the officiating is tight. Both teams will be better come tournament time and unless they are both put in the same half of the draw, last night looks like it was a good preview of a potential NC game.

Of course, UConn has Geno and Maryland has Brenda. I know she rubs a lot of boneyarders the wrong way, but I don't think she is as horrible an in game coach as some think. She took some timely time outs yesterday when the game could have gotten out of hand and I saw adjustments to her game plan. She just isn't as good at it as Geno is. I was sitting under the basket at the Maryland end of the floor and got to watch how she handled her team during time outs. She had their attention and she was teaching rather than screeching at her players. She was advocating for her players and working the refs at least as hard if not harder than Geno was (and Geno had to be held back by CD - I can't see any of Brenda's assistants trying to hold her back ;)). Unless the Terrapins play flat against Ohio State, I see them running the table in the Big Ten (or twelve, or whatever they are). Inexplicable lapses were their downfall last year. I don't see this group having those same lapses this season from what I have seen of their play so far.

I am not counting out Baylor or SC by any stretch of the imagination, though. Those teams have size, and a lot of it (especially Baylor) but they don't have Maryland's quickness IMO.

Love the post - but I'm not saying they are "a good preview for a NC game." They are pretty young with Slocum, Charles, Steph Jones and the so Fraser. Not saying they won't. But they are young and as for this game they were playing at home.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Props to Natalie for 14 productive and solid minutes!

Yes. I try not to become reactionary or bitter when reading some of the negative stuff that gets posted about Natalie. She is getting better as she gets minutes. Still, she has some things to work on; we know that. And her coaches surely know it too. She is a work in progress, and the progress is noteworthy. Enjoy the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom