Maryland Game Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Maryland Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Cut her some slack she was a HS junior when she made that statement. Something that's never been done before for her is: First Big 10 team to lose to UCONN by less than double digits in about 2 decades.
That is mean.

Reaction Score
Best game? 0-10 from 3 outside of Slocum. Confroy in particular was 0-4, including a huge 3 that killed an MD run that would've brought the house down.

UConn defense had to play soft and Maryland to advantage of it. For most of their key players it won't get much better (looking at stat line,) along with their pointguard raining 3s in the 4th to keep them close. Good game but just being objective and seeing Uconns games multiple times this was not vintage and as much as I like to credit the other team it seemed to be more around circumstances than MD. That said MD did impress me more than most other teams. I rank Baylor above them for sure.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield looks sick as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Pheesa wasn't part of the sick brigade as well.
Without knowing anything, why would you make that insinuation? Is Doris Burke sick tonight? Jim Calhoun?

Reaction Score
When we ask from Kia, she delivers. Another 3 from Nurse!
Why aren't we asking more???? Obviously, Kia isn't always delivering but I am happy when she does. Personally, I want KLS to be my mailman or mail person.

Reaction Score
Without knowing anything, why would you make that insinuation? Is Doris Burke sick tonight? Jim Calhoun?
I don't know if said poster is right or wrong on Crystal Dangerfield being sick, but I will say that Ally (Geno's daughter) commented in a series of tweets on Twitter that she was surprised Geno hadn't picked up the bug considering he's been surrounded by pukers. Her tweets insinuated that the majority of the team has been or is sick. So it's quite possible that Katie was not the only member of the team that was sick - however, she was the only one that became quite friendly with a trash can on the bench.

Reaction Score
As sick as Lou is, I think if she doesn't pass out, you have to keep playing her. She's going to make a few 3's that just might be the difference.
It sounds like you are (were) a fortune teller! KLS pulled herself together and had a serious half of basketball when this team needed it. Amazing kid!

Reaction Score
I'm convinced some people won't be happy unless we're beating the #2 team in the country every game by 103 while out-rebounding them 87-2 with no fouls on any of our players. :rolleyes:
Who are "these people" and where can we find them. Maybe we could try an exorcism and free their souls. Geno has said that as a result of great success over the years, people have great expectations. I know I do. Don't you?

Reaction Score
Why aren't we asking more???? Obviously, Kia isn't always delivering but I am happy when she does. Personally, I want KLS to be my mailman or mail person.

????

Kia is 27-61 from three this year. That is 44.3%. That is terrific. Overall she has an efg% of 56.58%.
Plus she is 86.7% from the ft line and gets to the ft line 45 times tied for 1st on the team.
Plus she has 51 asssits and just 23 turnovers.

I agree she isn't "the weapon" Lou is-- but for a college player she is "money." You could look at Tuck for example - she had some struggles during stretches last year.

Nurse is a terrific weapon to have- I agree with you she isn't Lou - I just didn't understand your point. Nurse imo is an all-american candidate. Her numbers so far are terrific.

Reaction Score
I don't know if said poster is right or wrong on Crystal Dangerfield being sick, but I will say that Ally (Geno's daughter) commented in a series of tweets on Twitter that she was surprised Geno hadn't picked up the bug considering he's been surrounded by pukers. Her tweets insinuated that the majority of the team has been or is sick. So it's quite possible that Katie was not the only member of the team that was sick - however, she was the only one that became quite friendly with a trash can on the bench.

Geno had said yesterday or the day before in a video clip (when it was obvious he was sick) that members of he team "had" been sick but the impression was that it was past with a possible exception or two. I'm thinking KLS was THE exception. Without knowing for sure, why speculate who else may or may not have been? Sometimes kids play poorly because sometimes kids play poorly. Overall, I think playing on the road against a top 5 team and winning isn't TOO SHABBY!

Reaction Score
Who are "these people" and where can we find them. Maybe we could try an exorcism and free their souls. Geno has said that as a result of great success over the years, people have great expectations. I know I do. Don't you?

You should read the posts from Schoup on this thread. He compared UCONN to playing like a CYO team.

And I thought titletown's posts were awesome on this thread - he nailed a lot of things. But on the ND-UCONN thread, he didn't make one positive post for UCONN. Not one. And people put a "like" on his comments.

But again titletown was awesome on this thread. He nailed some things.

Reaction Score
Geno had said yesterday or the day before in a video clip (when it was obvious he was sick) that members of he team "had" been sick but the impression was that it was past with a possible exception or two. I'm thinking KLS was THE exception. Without knowing for sure, why speculate who else may or may not have been? Sometimes kids play poorly because sometimes kids play poorly. Overall, I think playing on the road against a top 5 team and winning isn't TOO SHABBY!

I don't think it is wrong for anyone to speculate. This board we speculate on things on all the time. I don't know if he meant 1 player or more than one. I don't believe anyone on here knows.

Reaction Score
????

Kia is 27-61 from three this year. That is 44.3%. That is terrific. Overall she has an efg% of 56.58%.
Plus she is 86.7% from the ft line and gets to the ft line 45 times tied for 1st on the team.
Plus she has 51 asssits and just 23 turnovers.

I agree she isn't "the weapon" Lou is-- but for a college player she is "money." You could look at Tuck for example - she had some struggles during stretches last year.

Nurse is a terrific weapon to have- I agree with you she isn't Lou - I just didn't understand your point. Nurse imo is an all-american candidate. Her numbers so far are terrific.
I don't agree that she's even close to the type of offensive player that Morgan Tuck was or is. You could spout numbers all you want but I don't think she's anywhere near the player that Gabby or Napheesa or KLS is and I regard her primarily as a solid defensive player. I'm happy when she contributes but I don't have a lot of faith in anything she does on the offensive side of the board. She plays for the Huskies and she's a good teammate and she plays hard but I have to say that she is far, far, far from the player I would consider an All-American candidate.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is wrong for anyone to speculate. This board we speculate on things on all the time. I don't know if he meant 1 player or more than one. I don't believe anyone on here knows.
I agree that if a kid is known to being sick but playing then I want to hear it because obviously it could have a serious effect on their performance and it should be taken into account. When you drop a suggestion that "maybe" there is sick members on the team what it does is offers an excuse for someone playing poorly and a lack of accountability. The one obviously sick kid tonight was KLS and she killed it, particularly in the second half. If you allow less than good performances to be potentially excused by the "possibility that maybe they were under the weather" it kind of detracts from people like KLS whose performance was simply remarkable. That's why it kind of gets under my skin because they may be getting respect that they didn't EARN!

Reaction Score
I don't agree that she's even close to the type of offensive player that Morgan Tuck was or is. You could spout numbers all you want but I don't think she's anywhere near the player that Gabby or Napheesa or KLS is and I regard her primarily as a solid defensive player. I'm happy when she contributes but I don't have a lot of faith in anything she does on the offensive side of the board. She plays for the Huskies and she's a good teammate and she plays hard but I have to say that she is far, far, far from the player I would consider an All-American candidate.

She is averaging 14 ppg and 2nd on the team in assists. My point about Tuck was to show a player can have a series of bad games.
As for Nurse-- as of right now -- we can agree to disagree. I respect you as a poster on here- I mean that- you are terrific but we can disagree here.
As far as A/A - the NCAA won't go by "gut" feelings. They will look at numbers.
And when they look at numbers - and ofc Nurse had an awful 1st two games-- if her trend of terrific play continues after those two games which I suspect it will vs the weak competition- your gut feeling which I disagree with won't trump stats which you disregard.

I don't see how you can't have faith in her 3pt shooting. Nor on her passing. And when the voters vote- I can't seem them aligned to anyone that has your pov if she continues on fine trend. For example I see on here you gave Lou an "attaboy." How about Nurse ttoo?

Nurse shot better from the floor than Lou. Had more rebounds. Had more assists. Has a better assist to turnover ratio. And had more steals.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree that if a kid is known to being sick but playing then I want to hear it because obviously it could have a serious effect on their performance and it should be taken into account. When you drop a suggestion that "maybe" there is sick members on the team what it does is offers an excuse for someone playing poorly and a lack of accountability. The one obviously sick kid tonight was KLS and she killed it, particularly in the second half. If you allow less than good performances to be potentially excused by the "possibility that maybe they were under the weather" it kind of detracts from people like KLS whose performance was simply remarkable. That's why it kind of gets under my skin because they may be getting respect that they didn't EARN!

Good thing everyone played well enough so we dont have this problem and I cant imagine any health condition assumptions detracting from KLS's NPOY performance :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
By rocking this American Flag blue dress tonight Chloe was saying: " Divided Loyalties, I have no idea why anyone would think that.'
XXXJNNEQOMBBCEG.20161230013857.JPG

It's Givenchy inspired people, google it!
Brenda: " Damn Chloe, how much they paying you up there?"

Reaction Score

Why do you care that much (excalmations points and all!!!!!!!!!!!:)) if it offers an excuse? Is it that important to you that other posters may not feel the same way as to what "accountability" means and what other players "earn?" UCONN won!!! Why get so wrapped up in something you can't really prove one way or the other? And you have to realize all of us look at things differently. After all you think I'm way off base with Nurse. Many will agree you and many will agree with me. But my counter is- suppose coco (below) is right? If you beelive coco is right- they won't believe you are. Anyhow we can agree to disagree here.

Anyhow read cocohusky's post -- number 6 on the MD thread:

6) Napheesa & KLS are roommates. Chance if one had a bug the other likely had it also. In the post game presser Geno was asked if KLS was the only one "suffering" from something. Geno did not give names but his answer led me to believe KLS was NOT the only one suffering from something.

Have you listened to the postgame? I haven't. I can't get the link to work. But are you saying you listened to the postgame and you think coco is wrong? Because again I didn't get the same past tense you did nor when reading from posters like coco that they think as you do on this subject.

Reaction Score
Saniya shall now be known as the "TURTLE SLAYER!!!!!"
If KLS didn't do what she did in the second half, there would be no Saniya talk. Saniya played a really nice,solid game which is what you'd expect for a senior with some talent, isn't it? Saniya has proven again she deserves solid minutes and that's what she's been getting.

Reaction Score
Hell of a game by the UCONN women! They played like the champions they are. I don't see them losing a game this year and that includes the tourney. I hope my Terrapins make a deep run this year. Again great gutty win.
It's always appreciated when a foe shows respect for a team that's beaten them in a hard fought battle. Your team showed itself in a very positive way tonight themselves!

Reaction Score
Why do you care that much (excalmations points and all!!!!!!!!!!!:)) if it offers an excuse? Is it that important to you that other posters may not feel the same way as to what "accountability" means and what other players "earn?" UCONN won!!! Why get so wrapped up in something you can't really prove one way or the other? And you have to realize all of us look at things differently. After all you think I'm way off base with Nurse. Many will agree you and many will agree with me. But my counter is- suppose coco (below) is right? If you beelive coco is right- they won't believe you are. Anyhow we can agree to disagree here.

Anyhow read cocohusky's post -- number 6 on the MD thread:

6) Napheesa & KLS are roommates. Chance if one had a bug the other likely had it also. In the post game presser Geno was asked if KLS was the only one "suffering" from something. Geno did not give names but his answer led me to believe KLS was NOT the only one suffering from something.

Have you listened to the postgame? I haven't. I can't get the link to work. But are you saying you listened to the postgame and you think coco is wrong? Because again I didn't get the same past tense you did nor when reading from posters like coco that they think as you do on this subject.
I did not listen to the postgame. Guess I'm beating a dead horse and it's really not worth it. The significant thing is we got a hard earned win where we played through illness and a short bench and fought off a very talented Maryland team on the road. Everything else is kind of irrelevant, isn't it? These girls show themselves game after game and whoever may have been effected, there was still enough in the tank to pull this game out.

Reaction Score
Some reactions:
Saniya was not THE difference, but she was A difference. The 4th quarter shot was daggers, and her play in the first quarter was just amazing. Lovd hger 4th quarter block, too. She was there when needed.

Do not know how UConn eked this one out. It always felt close, even when UConn was ahead by 15. The two bigs in foul trouble was a real problem, and if this team loses this year, it will be the reason why. Maryland could score at will with players laying off the D because of fouls. Speaking of that, Slocum can play on my team any time. She's the best freshman I've seen, and IMHO, it's not even close.

Anyone who's down on Butler should consider the quiet but effective minutes she gave UConn in this game. She's not going to score 10 in 10 minutes, but she scores when she's open and clogs up the middle really well.

Williams was great while she was in, Collier less so. I was not watching the matchups very closely, but whatever plan they had to guard Collier really worked.

Katie Lou deserves a huge amount of credit for sheer grit. Without her 3s, UConn loses.
I liked your statement regarding Chong, that she was not "the difference but a difference" and I wish more people here were capable of saying nice, endearing things about members of this team or other UConn teams without making them sound as if they were all All-Americans or legendary players or whatever. To keep things in the proper context would be nice but often that doesn't happen and when you are overtly complimentary, then when you genuinely see a great or extraordinary performance, it almost sounds mundane or common place.

Reaction Score
What is it that Slocum thinks as "do something that's never been done before" ?
Maybe she's suggesting that she could contribute to make Maryland "the team to beat" which seems to me to be something that UConn has been since UConn's emergence in the mid 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom