Maryland Game Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Maryland Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
WOW - What a great performance. Sick MVP, Foul trouble, Hosed by refs and a MD Guard shooting the lights out and we pulled it out in a sold out road game. What's NOT to LOVE!! And a HUGE shout out to Saniya. She has made some HUGE plays this year!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno wasn't sure if Katie would play tonight. He gave props to KLS, Kia, and Gabby.

Should have added Saniya. Besides clutch points. 5 assists and 0 TO. Unfortunately, I think Crystal Dangerfield took a step back. Hate to say it but Destiny wins the Freshman PG battle by KO. At least, Crystal Dangerfield sees has a target to strive for.

Reaction Score
How 'bout this!

upload_2016-12-29_20-14-23.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
An absolutely amazing and gutty performnce.

Lou sick and owns the second half.
Gabby & Pheesa plagued by fouls.
We got Saniya 2.0 - The Terp Slayer
And with an ill coach and star - The Nurse was in the house. Just what the doctor ordered.

And props to Maryland - scrappy and very good team.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Player of the game for me was Gabby Williams, Both Nurse and Katie Lou carried the team offensively at critical stages of the game... But Gabby was exceptional throughout... UCONN should have won this game by 20.. :)

Reaction Score
After Maya and Company's 90 gamer, I never thought we'd ever see another team even approach it again, and here we are 7 years later and in a position to smash that record. Not to bring the Wooden thing into it again, but we're basically talking about besting his streak twice in less than a decade. You basically need a decade just to play enough games to have an opportunity to have two of these streaks, and oh yeah there was a 47 gamer sandwiched in between. That's just insane.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Two thoughts here. This game lived up to all of the hype and drama. Everyone got their money's worth tonight. First, a GREAT win by our girls. Geno can question a lot of things about this team, but he can no longer question their guts and fortitude, and refusal to lose. This game will come back to serve them well down the road. Iron sharpens iron. This game game shows the world just how tough and resilient UConn is this year. Geno coached his a** off tonight. He was the ringleader. He looked and sounded like crap. It was reported that he sent all Christmas day in bed. Get well Geno.

You didn't have to have a medical degree to SEE that some of our players (and coach) were under the weather. At times, I thought Lou was going to pass out right there on the court. BUT..................they gutted it out. The mark of a true champion. The next time UConn finds itself in a similar situation, they'll know how to get out of it.

In their weakened condition, their shots were just not falling tonight. You can't get any rhythm going when you're not 100%. This was Maryland's best chance at redemption. For the next four years, the possibility of beating UConn will diminish greatly. The next time these two teams play, it will be in Connecticut. Matching and passing that 90 game win streak seems a whole lot more likely now than it did 3 hours ago.

The team will no doubt leave immediately after the game for warm and sunny Orlando, Florida were they will get 2 full days of rest and medication, before they start league play against Central Florida on New yew's day. This summer, we were all wondering what kind of team we were going to have this year. I think THAT question has been answered. A tip o the turban the entire UConn team & staff on a job well done.

Tip in: Now where are all of those folks that predicted a Maryland win? Step up and be counted. Where are you? :eek: Just one more thing to say..........NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion.

Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Some reactions:
Saniya was not THE difference, but she was A difference. The 4th quarter shot was daggers, and her play in the first quarter was just amazing. Lovd hger 4th quarter block, too. She was there when needed.

Do not know how UConn eked this one out. It always felt close, even when UConn was ahead by 15. The two bigs in foul trouble was a real problem, and if this team loses this year, it will be the reason why. Maryland could score at will with players laying off the D because of fouls. Speaking of that, Slocum can play on my team any time. She's the best freshman I've seen, and IMHO, it's not even close.

Anyone who's down on Butler should consider the quiet but effective minutes she gave UConn in this game. She's not going to score 10 in 10 minutes, but she scores when she's open and clogs up the middle really well.

Williams was great while she was in, Collier less so. I was not watching the matchups very closely, but whatever plan they had to guard Collier really worked.

Katie Lou deserves a huge amount of credit for sheer grit. Without her 3s, UConn loses.

Reaction Score
Should have added Saniya. Besides clutch points. 5 assists and 0 TO. Unfortunately, I think Crystal Dangerfield took a step back. Hate to say it but Destiny wins the Freshman PG battle by KO. At least, Crystal Dangerfield sees has a target to strive for.
Different system, different expectations. By no means am I suggesting that Crystal is playing as well right now. But over the following 3 years, Crystal will become the great "system" player that Mo became.

Reaction Score
Late in the 4th qtr one of the tv announcers referred to KLS as "Sweet Lou." That's a well honored nick name in sports although most were baseball players. The original was a BasketBall player.
Anyhow, seems to me it fits pretty well. Certainly did tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom