Maryland beats Notre Dame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Maryland beats Notre Dame

Reaction Score
Interesting game. 1st half, if Maryland wasn't so sloppy, should have pulled away from ND. Maryland doesn't appear to be well coached but won at the end of game just gaving ball to Miller who did great job using picks and going to basket. Miles was constantly driving to basket, using her long arms to throw layups over defenders. Good midrange game-not someone to make a mistake around. Will be a challenge for Muhl. ND does not appear to defend or shot 3's well, but they have Citron who is the real thing. Ebo is an interesting player - a Charles Barkley type who can't jump but is difficult to move under the boards. Will be surprised if ND can withstand UConn's defense and overall speed.
Charles Barkley the round mound of rebound could jump.

Reaction Score
You are wrong.....I am not talking about when the game is over. There can be a case, just like last night where the refs are reviewing the clock to see if the basket counted. I am talking about when a technical foul can be called and shots taken. THAT CAN NOT HAPPEN POST TIME ELAPSING. Those cases ( just like the Rod Sellers) case went to league for future possible suspensions.
OK I'm not going to argue with you anymore as you only used NBA rule which is different. I've seen it happen twice - once on a coach who started swearing at the refs after a tough game and got a technical and another where a player started an incident in the handshake line which got a technical which was shot and changed the score.Both college games. Believe what you want. We have a lot of that these days.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Ivey left ND for only one season. So the “meltdown” occurred with players that she recruited and coached. It’s hard to believe that the entire WBB program in South Bend would collapse due to the departure of one assistant coach for a single season.
Just looking at the records:
2018-2019 record 35-4 (last year Ivey is Assoc. coach)
2019-2020 record 13-18
2020-2021 record 10-10 (Ivey takes over as head coach)
2021-2022 record 24-10

My point is that the team took a big hit in the 19-20 season without her and has recovered since her return. I'm not sure if it is the best hire for ND, but it certainly was not a bad hire. It doesn't matter who recruited the players as much as what they did with them and in the 19-20 season something went really wrong.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I am always glad that ND loses, but I also always give Coach Ivey praise for being the one ND coach the stood and applauded when Breanna won national player of the year over Jewel

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just looking at the records:
2018-2019 record 35-4 (last year Ivey is Assoc. coach)
2019-2020 record 13-18
2020-2021 record 10-10 (Ivey takes over as head coach)
2021-2022 record 24-10

My point is that the team took a big hit in the 19-20 season without her and has recovered since her return. I'm not sure if it is the best hire for ND, but it certainly was not a bad hire. It doesn't matter who recruited the players as much as what they did with them and in the 19-20 season something went really wrong.

Problem with 19-20 is that everyone graduated, got injured, or transferred out. Jackie Young was projected to be back but left for the pros, likely starters Nixon/Patterson transferred, Peoples (double figures scorer) was lost mid year to season ending injury, Prohaska was injured all year, Vaughn missed about half of the season too. The team lost about 95% of their scoring from the 2018-19 campaign, so it was a completely different team that was young, injury riddled and had never played together before. ND recovered well last year and looks to be stronger going forward, but I think it'll be tough for Ivey to get ND back to where it was being a perennial title threat.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Problem with 19-20 is that everyone graduated, got injured, or transferred out. Jackie Young was projected to be back but left for the pros, likely starters Nixon/Patterson transferred, Peoples (double figures scorer) was lost mid year to season ending injury, Prohaska was injured all year, Vaughn missed about half of the season too. The team lost about 95% of their scoring from the 2018-19 campaign, so it was a completely different team that was young, injury riddled and had never played together before. ND recovered well last year and looks to be stronger going forward, but I think it'll be tough for Ivey to get ND back to where it was being a perennial title threat.
1670092390523.jpeg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Your memory is pretty spot on: ND lost something like 80% of its scoring going into the 2019-200 season. I went to the season opener at Fordham and didn't and/or barely recognized anyone! Then center Mik Vaughn got injured within 10 minutes of the game's start and frosh Sam Brunelle became a center (playing out of position) in the center of ND's 2-3 zone.

After a few missteps with remaining personnel from that year, Niele has cobbled together a team that is getting there, led by Miles and Citron (and Bransford looks promising). The 2023 recruiting class looks very strong (knock on wood), so I'm keeping patience that we're headed in the right direction. As UConn fans know, nothing is quite linear so you've got to count to ten from time to time. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I know that BY’ers have mixed feelings about MM, it’s hard to believe that a ND team coached by MM would have lost the game against MD last night on their home court. Niele Ivey has accomplished a lot in basketball, and she was MM’s handpicked successor at ND.

There are similarities between MM promoting Coach Ivey as her successor at ND and Pat Summit promoting HW as her successor at TN. Both actions were born out of loyalty to a valued assistant coach.

One can only wonder if ND had opened up the search for MM’s replacement, would the WBB program be better off with someone like Megan Duffy? Duffy has a ND pedigree, has worked her way up through the ranks in college basketball coaching and is now the successful HC at #24 Marquette.
Ivey is by far the best possible coach for ND. She’s an elite recruiter and this current ND team is the most balanced in terms of physicality /speed that ND has ever had. Ebo is just getting into shape. As she does she’s going to be a physical beast inside, freeing up Westbeld to be an inside/out threat and with Watson and Marshall there’s a ton of inside depth. Miles/Citron are superb and Bransford is a stopper Nielle didn’t have when Mabrey becomes a defensive liability.

ND is already backs to elite status and with the incoming recruiting class the future couldn’t be brighter.

Reaction Score
Ivey is by far the best possible coach for ND. She’s an elite recruiter and this current ND team is the most balanced in terms of physicality /speed that ND has ever had. Ebo is just getting into shape. As she does she’s going to be a physical beast inside, freeing up Westbeld to be an inside/out threat and with Watson and Marshall there’s a ton of inside depth. Miles/Citron are superb and Bransford is a stopper Nielle didn’t have when Mabrey becomes a defensive liability.

ND is already backs to elite status and with the incoming recruiting class the future couldn’t be brighter.
Couldn’t have said it any better! ☘️

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom