Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I know UConn doesn’t cut the nets until the National Championship but the Big East could’ve added some confetti or balloons. This just looks like the ending after a regular game.

You missed the confetti ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The team playing their best ball of the season at the right time. Cant ask for anything more. UConn has a good shot for #12. Cant wait to see Paige in Tourney. Must-see-TV!
We Are Doomed News GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
I know UConn doesn’t cut the nets until the National Championship but the Big East could’ve added some confetti or balloons. This just looks like the ending after a regular game.
There was confetti!!

Reaction Score
How many times are you going to try and make this point? You're just trying to stomp out any fun around here aren't you?
Sorry! While I'm all for fun and most all of the comments here are good fun, I do not see the fun in posting stats, comments, glorifying the pounding of overmatched opponents. Add to this Geno apparently likes to run up the score by keeping starters in long after they are needed. I know, that's the way Geno does it. And Geno loves all his players, including his practice players who get cleanup minutes in routs and no minutes in meaningful games.

Reaction Score
VidNick I think your on the wrong forum.
Chill. This is really good, FUN team.
It is. I just would like to see all the players on the team have some fun by getting some PT. I also see no point in running up the score.

Reaction Score
Just about the best defense I can remember seeing! I can't think of too many opposing guards enjoying facing Nika while coming over half court or Ono coming into the middle, or CW covering them, or Paige looking for a steal or quick switching zones or.......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry! While I'm all for fun and most all of the comments here are good fun, I do not see the fun in posting stats, comments, glorifying the pounding of overmatched opponents. Add to this Geno apparently likes to run up the score by keeping starters in long after they are needed. I know, that's the way Geno does it. And Geno loves all his players, including his practice players who get cleanup minutes in routs and no minutes in meaningful games.
If Geno wanted to run up the score, UConn would easily average over a hundred points a game. Play time is earned not given. I swear, people come hear and spout any kind of nonsense that comes to mind.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
... It’s not a good look for the league when the #1 team beats the #2 team by 40 points on a neutral floor. Hopefully some of the teams will step up their game in the next few years.
let's make that "in the next few weeks"

Reaction Score
f Geno wanted to run up the score, UConn would easily average over a hundred points a game. Play time is earned not given. I swear, people come hear and spout any kind of nonsense that comes to mind.
Think about the 'play time is earned', which is often said. Sounds good, but is nonsense to me. Looking at it over many years it appears the same 5 to 6-8 players 'earn' playing time every single game. You would think someone else would squeak in once in a while, but that doesn't happen unless one of the 5-8 are injured or in geno's dog house. It looks to me like the players that play are the best players on the team.

As for running up the score, I suppose he could play his starters all 40 minutes and score a few more points.

Reaction Score
Think about the 'play time is earned', which is often said. Sounds good, but is nonsense to me. Looking at it over many years it appears the same 5 to 6-8 players 'earn' playing time every single game. You would think someone else would squeak in once in a while, but that doesn't happen unless one of the 5-8 are injured or in geno's dog house. It looks to me like the players that play are the best players on the team.

As for running up the score, I suppose he could play his starters all 40 minutes and score a few more points.
Ok so if we took Paige out for the whole 4th quarter, who would you replace her with? Our bench is mainly post type players eg Mir, AG, Piath then you have Anna who is just back from a stress fracture, Autumn is out with shin splints, Saylor is a high school kid...it isn't just as simple as "take all your starters out". You cannot just put 5 players of all similar positions onto the floor and make them play. None of the starters play 40 minutes. They are there on scholarships to play D-1 basketball, just like the other team is, so should we cut the starters minutes in half just because they are good?
REMINDER - we only beat this Marquette team by 10 last time we played them couple weeks back...63-53.

Reaction Score
Ok so if we took Paige out for the whole 4th quarter, who would you replace her with? Our bench is mainly post type players eg Mir, AG, Piath then you have Anna who is just back from a stress fracture, Autumn is out with shin splints, Saylor is a high school kid...it isn't just as simple as "take all your starters out". You cannot just put 5 players of all similar positions onto the floor and make them play. None of the starters play 40 minutes. They are there on scholarships to play D-1 basketball, just like the other team is, so should we cut the starters minutes in half just because they are good?
REMINDER - we only beat this Marquette team by 10 last time we played them couple weeks back...63-53.
I was just about to post something similar. Who exactly would you have subbed in earlier? Aaliyah is almost a given now after the first TV TO. How many players played in the first half (seven of the ten realistically available I think)? Autumn can't play and Saylor still is trying to figure out where to get food on campus. And Geno doesn't like for the play to completely devolve just because they're up big - that's been a problem in recent years. I mean if that's the one criticism others have about Geno, then I guess you have your answer to what makes for a championship program and a program that watches championships on TV.

Reaction Score
I was just about to post something similar. Who exactly would you have subbed in earlier? Aaliyah is almost a given now after the first TV TO. How many players played in the first half (seven of the ten realistically available I think)? Autumn can't play and Saylor still is trying to figure out where to get food on campus. And Geno doesn't like for the play to completely devolve just because they're up big - that's been a problem in recent years. I mean if that's the one criticism others have about Geno, then I guess you have your answer to what makes for a championship program and a program that watches championships on TV.
The narrative that “Geno runs up the score”, “he always plays the starters 40 mins” is just so wrong. If Piath or Mir wanted to play 25 mins a night, they should have gone somewhere else. It’s not a “oh well they are here so everyone should play an equal amount”, that’s not how it works. But we only have Anna and saylor available as guards off the bench right now, one is on her way back from injury and one joined in the middle of the season from high school. Evina can’t play non stop so she comes out, so therefore there’s no option to take Paige, Nika, CW etc out all the time. that’s got nothing to do with Geno.

Reaction Score
The everyone should get time mantra is fine when you're up 45 on Xavier in the middle of January and you're still kind of tinkering with different lineups in garbage time to see what the bench can give you. Once tourney season starts, it's going to be a different game plan and approach. Remember when UConn was killing Syracuse in the 2016 national championship game? Geno didn't sit the big three until there were about two minutes left in the game. That's just how he coaches whether up by 5 or 30. It's no secret to the fans, players, or would-be recruits.

Reaction Score
The Syracuse game was sending a message to Syracuse coach... Thanks for the Stewie home game (not)
You could read into it that way I guess, but I think it's more likely that's just how Geno rolls. Did the same thing in 2013 when they were up a similar margin against Louisville, and I don't think he was sending a message to Coach Walz.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Syracuse game was sending a message to Syracuse Thanks for the Stewie home game (not)
It was also a homage to three seniors - let them enjoy the moment on the court. And a triumphal exit as a unit.

And, most coaches winning big wait for the opposing coach to call off the dogs before they do likewise. One thing Geno has only once done (Sales) is leave a player on the court to pad personal stats like some coaches do.

A lot of teams pack the paint against Uconn because they are consistently such a good passing team. That can lead to really ugly basketball if Geno takes all his jump shooters off the floor at the end of games. Mir, Aubrey, Piath, and Aaliyah are not jump shooters and shouldn't be taking those shots, Anna is on limited minutes, Autumn is out. Saylor is wet behind the ears and in this tournament seemed to be trigger shy and Evina seems to be treated as being fragile. That leaves one or two of Nika, Christyn, and Paige to round out the team on the floor through the final buzzer - and for most of the time Geno wants two of those out there so he gets some actually good work done with the three lesser used players. Otherwise it truly is garbage time.

Reaction Score
It is. I just would like to see all the players on the team have some fun by getting some PT. I also see no point in running up the score.
To run up the score, we would full court press, never back off a fast break opportunity to practice half court sets. Each game is a valued opportunity to develop the team and the players that can prevail in the most challenging games of the season. Being a on a team at this level does not entitle you to playing time. Playing time is managed to the best advantage of winning the season's last game.

Reaction Score
Too much to unpack here, so a few words:

• Who should have been playing instead. I was not alluding to this game. Some games you play with the hand you are dealt with. Maybe last night was one. But is every night one, every season?
  • PT garbage time comment: Having players play garbage time only is useless. Let them play in real games.
  • If you think I am not a fan of this team and every Uconn team before it, you are wrong.
  • If you think I am not a fan of Geno, you are right. But it is not Geno, it is Big Time College coaches many of whom are practically dictators to a bunch of young adults, whose only alternative if they don't like it is to start playing somewhere else in their Junior year. One of my kids experienced it 1st hand. Kids who go to the Elite events for HS players make a wide number of contacts with kids who went to a variety of top 10, even NCAA championship teams. When describing their coach to others the words the kids most often used are lunatic and idiot. These are guys. Maybe girls view it differently.
  • Uconn women's basketball has 8MM in expenses. Geno's salary is $2.4 (30%) of total expense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Geno is a pretty good coach, and any decision he makes is ok with me.
In any case, it looked we ran up the score in the first quarter.

Reaction Score
Too much to unpack here, so a few words:

• Who should have been playing instead. I was not alluding to this game. Some games you play with the hand you are dealt with. Maybe last night was one. But is every night one, every season?
  • PT garbage time comment: Having players play garbage time only is useless. Let them play in real games.
  • If you think I am not a fan of this team and every Uconn team before it, you are wrong.
  • If you think I am not a fan of Geno, you are right. But it is not Geno, it is Big Time College coaches many of whom are practically dictators to a bunch of young adults, whose only alternative if they don't like it is to start playing somewhere else in their Junior year. One of my kids experienced it 1st hand. Kids who go to the Elite events for HS players make a wide number of contacts with kids who went to a variety of top 10, even NCAA championship teams. When describing their coach to others the words the kids most often used are lunatic and idiot. These are guys. Maybe girls view it differently.
  • Uconn women's basketball has 8MM in expenses. Geno's salary is $2.4 (30%) of total expense.
When you are in a hole, stop digging...you make no sense and need to relax.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom