Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
GA = Geno, CD = Chris Dailey, J = Jamelle, PB= Paige, NM = Nika, EW = Evina, Liv = Liv, CW = Christyn, AE = Aaliyah, AG = ‘The great Aubrey Griffin’, Mir = Mir, PG= Piath, AM = Anna, the Polish Rifle, PS or Poff = Saylor, AC = Autumn.

My two cents overall and the guard play:

Couldn’t start out any better. Hitting 5-6 of our 3s by multiple players and getting a bushel of easy layups in transition off forcing TOs. But, that is where the offensive production ended. Scoring only 44 points over 3 quarters is not very good. Basically, we stopped making shots. The defense was great throughout.

The real test starts when we get to the sweet 16! Also, I get the feeling GA is having the time of his life watching these guys. Young GA would go crazy but older GA is chillin a bit and enjoying the ride…..

CW- I wanted to start with the player I probably criticize the most. Coming off a tremendous performance against Nova, it looked like she was going to go completely off in the first quarter. Great quarter, scoring at will on all 3 levels. Defense was outstanding. Never thought I’d type that about CW. Cooled off considerably and I still have concerns with her hitting that mid-range, but if she can play defense like she did tonight, then it will not matter if she misses a few more than she should. Saw her get her hands on three passes, 2 for ‘steals and layup’ shows – I’ve never seen that before from CW. Despite cooling off, I am extremely happy with her performance.

PB – had more TOs than normal – 5 or 6 to my count. But to be fair, 2 were not entirely her fault. One had the makings of a great pass to AE but she stumbled & PB got the TO. That said, she was definitely sloppier than I have seen her all year. Got her pocket picked a couple times. I’m giving her a very good, not great game due to the sloppiness but to be fair, when guards are going to have this sometimes when they are asked to create as much as PB does. She gets her shot off as quick as anybody I’ve seen in years and deadly accurate. Only needs an inch as well. Tough to defend.

NM – man, I love this kid more every time I see her. She plays defense like her hair is on fire all game long. Never lets up. Head is always on a swivel. Her relentless spirit is going to drive some player to throw a punch at her one day. Maybe that is how she got the blackeye. Hit 3 3 pointers and played exceptional perimeter defence. I think she only had 1 assist which is disappointing but only one TO as well on a miscommunication.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
GA = Geno, CD = Chris Dailey, J = Jamelle, PB= Paige, NM = Nika, EW = Evina, Liv = Liv, CW = Christyn, AE = Aaliyah, AG = ‘The great Aubrey Griffin’, Mir = Mir, PG= Piath, AM = Anna, the Polish Rifle, PS or Poff = Saylor, AC = Autumn.

My two cents on the post/wing play:

EW – She was great in this game, especially in the first quarter. I counted three steals and I love the way she rips rebounds down like she owns the ball. Hit some threes which was nice but the mid-range wasn’t there. Is making better decisions in my view and had some very nice passes.

Liv- Didn’t seem to play much. She was a force though. She had the 4 early blocks but she also stopped dribble penetration on several occasions thereafter with her size/presence (causing a TO once which is as good as a steal but doesn’t show up in the box). In the second half, it seemed that if Liv was in the lane, Marquette ran the other way – they had enough.

Seemed to really rip down rebounds – I get the feeling somebody lit a fire under her. Still don’t like her fade away stuff so much but that is her game. Terrific passing the ball again. She is a real weapon passing the ball and then on defense as a rim protector.

AE – missed some close-range shots that were contested but was fouled once and ripped down some offensive rebounds as well. Must have had close to 10 rebounds to go with 2 blocks and 1 steal by my count. It is flat amazing to see her go coast to coast on steal and layups.

AG – well this is the first time I can remember that she didn’t make positive things happen straight away when she came in the game. Allowed an entry pass to the post when she lost the battle for position, gave up an offensive rebound, got beat to the basket once, stuffed on a take to the rim. Came back with better defense, then got the ‘steal and layup party’ going again. Her 3 pointer looked great – just a touch long. Overall, her worst performance of the year.

AM – I saw some good defense so that is a plus.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Too much to unpack here, so a few words:

• Who should have been playing instead. I was not alluding to this game. Some games you play with the hand you are dealt with. Maybe last night was one. But is every night one, every season?
  • PT garbage time comment: Having players play garbage time only is useless. Let them play in real games.
  • If you think I am not a fan of this team and every Uconn team before it, you are wrong.
  • If you think I am not a fan of Geno, you are right. But it is not Geno, it is Big Time College coaches many of whom are practically dictators to a bunch of young adults, whose only alternative if they don't like it is to start playing somewhere else in their Junior year. One of my kids experienced it 1st hand. Kids who go to the Elite events for HS players make a wide number of contacts with kids who went to a variety of top 10, even NCAA championship teams. When describing their coach to others the words the kids most often used are lunatic and idiot. These are guys. Maybe girls view it differently.
  • Uconn women's basketball has 8MM in expenses. Geno's salary is $2.4 (30%) of total expense.
I believe that Geno gets $400,000.00 from the school, the rest comes from SNY and boosters. So his salary is roughly 5% of their expenses.

Reaction Score
There were a few things to clean up. Clock management at the end of quarters for one. Not as pretty as the game against Villanova. I have a theory about that (see below). Would have liked to have seen a better assist to turnover ratio but there really isn't too much to complain about with a 34 point MOV.

Is it just me, or does Marquette seem like the UCF of the Big East?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There were a few things to clean up. Clock management at the end of quarters for one. Not as pretty as the game against Villanova. I have a theory about that (see below). Would have liked to have seen a better assist to turnover ratio but there really isn't too much to complain about with a 34 point MOV.

Is it just me, or does Marquette seem like the UCF of the Big East?
Marquette is better coached and has more talent than UCF, but their physical style of play is certainly reminiscent of the Black Knights. In addition, I frequently felt that UCF would cross the line between physical play and cheap shots. Marquette does not strike me as a team that deliberately takes cheap shots against opponents.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the things about points scored after a blow out first quarter is that at that point shortening the game becomes a thing - you take any fast break/transition advantage you can, but otherwise the fewer possessions for the final three quarters the better.

One of the things that always bugs me in looking at play by play of games is when a team leading in the second half is still jacking shots with 15 or 20 seconds left on the their shot clock. Second quarter may be a little early to shorten a game even with a 20+ point lead, but ...

Reaction Score
When you are in a hole, stop digging...you make no sense and need to relax.
I think I will for now. Not because I am in a hole though. For someone who has nothing to say, you have no credibility to call what I say nonsense. Of course, that did not stop you. I would expect nothing else.

Reaction Score
believe that Geno gets $400,000.00 from the school, the rest comes from SNY and boosters. So his salary is roughly 5% of their expenses.
Well it must be on the side. Is that legal? Total revenue was only $4.5M in 2019.

Reaction Score
Too much to unpack here, so a few words:

• Who should have been playing instead. I was not alluding to this game. Some games you play with the hand you are dealt with. Maybe last night was one. But is every night one, every season?
  • PT garbage time comment: Having players play garbage time only is useless. Let them play in real games.
  • If you think I am not a fan of this team and every Uconn team before it, you are wrong.
  • If you think I am not a fan of Geno, you are right. But it is not Geno, it is Big Time College coaches many of whom are practically dictators to a bunch of young adults, whose only alternative if they don't like it is to start playing somewhere else in their Junior year. One of my kids experienced it 1st hand. Kids who go to the Elite events for HS players make a wide number of contacts with kids who went to a variety of top 10, even NCAA championship teams. When describing their coach to others the words the kids most often used are lunatic and idiot. These are guys. Maybe girls view it differently.
  • Uconn women's basketball has 8MM in expenses. Geno's salary is $2.4 (30%) of total expense.
Why would you question just 'How', the winning-est coach in BB history, decides who plays and who doesn't? I think HE has earned that right. I think he knows the players better than we do; when they're ready; who 'gels' with the line-up at this time. And...........why would you think that the winning-est coach in BB history NEEDS to run up a score?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well it must be on the side. Is that legal? Total revenue was only $4.5M in 2019.
Almost all Universities have a maximum salary that the school can pay, most of the time it is by the State Legislature. They also allow the coaches to get paid outside of what the school pays to increase their salary. The better the coach the higher the salary. Nick Saban makes most of his 10 million annual salary the same as Geno makes his, from TV and boosters, and yes it is 100% legal.

Reaction Score
Why would you question just 'How', the winning-est coach in BB history, decides who plays and who doesn't? I think HE has earned that right. I think he knows the players better than we do; when they're ready; who 'gels' with the line-up at this time. And...........why would you think that the winning-est coach in BB history NEEDS to run up a score?
He is no doubt the greatest in a game, with the best players in the game year in and year out. He can do whatever he wants to do. So can I.

Reaction Score
Almost all Universities have a maximum salary that the school can pay, most of the time it is by the State Legislature.
Geno is the highest paid 'employee' in the State of CT. Nowhere is it stated his salary is subsidized.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the things about points scored after a blow out first quarter is that at that point shortening the game becomes a thing - you take any fast break/transition advantage you can, but otherwise the fewer possessions for the final three quarters the better.

One of the things that always bugs me in looking at play by play of games is when a team leading in the second half is still jacking shots with 15 or 20 seconds left on the their shot clock. Second quarter may be a little early to shorten a game even with a 20+ point lead, but ...
Just checked the extended box score - combined shots by quarter both teams :
34 Total - Uconn 17
33 Total - Uconn 16
27 Total - Uconn 14
26 Toatl - Uconn 11

Some variation due to turnovers and offensive rebounds and shooting fouls but points scored to some degree dependent on # of offensive possession.
final Uconn 33 first half/25 second half
semifinal 30/24
quarterfinal Uconn 37/30

Reaction Score
Normally I agree but not this year. I don't think you have 4 great teams this years I think you have 8 very very good teams and another 8 that could be wildcards and make a run to the final 4.
I agree but with one less 'very'. :)

Reaction Score
So Marquette is no slouch. Not thrilled with Q2, but after the offensive explosion in Q1, maybe it's not surprising, and Marquette, being a good team, recovered from the shellacking and played really tough in Q2.
  • Looks like we got the scoring Paige back. 10-15 is very efficient and 23 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists is great. 6 TO's not so great, but hey, she's human.
  • Christyn didn't have an offensive explosion, but man has she been good, and a complete basketball player over the past few weeks. Bodes REALLY well for the NCAA's. Her defense on Lott was spectacular, and her defense in general has been so good lately. A few more games in the BE, and she might have been defensive player of the year.
  • The other day it was a post player's game with ONO and Liya scoring most of the points. Today it was the guards - Nika had her best offensive game in a while. SO glad she's back and seems to be at 100%. She's got a lot of Jen Rizotti in her (feisty, tough, and intense)
  • Evina seemed quiet, then I realized she had 6 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, and 3 steals. She continuously does so many things the team needs her to do. She's special. I hope she comes back, but have loved her tons, and if this is her only year playing for UCONN, she will still be a special player that fans adored this season.
  • How about Olivia with the assists? Not a great scoring night, but 5 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, and 4 blocks!
  • Aaliyah was ok - seemed to get stuck under the basket or something with shots that didn't go in. 3-8 shooting not her best effort. My friend Ken calls her "Thor". Best nickname ever...!!
  • Loved seeing Mir and Aubrey get into the scoring column and Piath nabbed a rebound so good on her!
All around a solid 30+ point win against a team who I think should be ranked about 20 or 21. Holding them to 39 points - it again shows how good our defense has been/become. Marquette shot 18-62 (29%) and only Taylor scored over 10 points (11). We held Van Kleunan to 6 and Lott to 2. Marquette's FT defense was fierce, though, as we only shot 54% at 6-11!
Evina was tremendous in the first quarter and good thereafter.

I thought that that CW was going to go for 30 in the first quarter. She was scoring on all 3 levels with ease. She had a great game defensively and probably the best her best at UCONN on that side of the court.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • There are two things you can absolutely count on when March rolls around each year. You need to set your clocks ahead 1 hour, and Geno will have his team playing their best basketball of the season.
  • Christyn has become UConn’s defensive stopper. Her assignment vs Marquette was senior guard and leading scorer Selena Lott, who went off for 27 pts in the semis. Tonight, Christyn held Lott to 2 pts on 1/5 shooting while harassing her all night long.
  • Lott, the co-defensive player of the year in the BE, did not fair quite so well, as Paige put up 23 on her.
  • UConn just beat a very good Marquette team by 34 points in the conference championship, while holding the Golden Eagles to just 39 pts on 29% shooting. IMO, the Huskies secured the #1 overall seed in the Big Dance, despite what Charlie Crème may have to say about it.
  • The Huskies have some weaknesses that they will no doubt work on leading into the NCAA's. But this UConn team has the talent required to win it all, and the coach who can make that happen.
Added observations; if UCONN can play for four quarters with the skills they showed in the first, they cannot be beaten. However, that is a " big ask." In the second quarter, the coherence and energy short-circuited and Marquette actually beat us by one point. But the team defense never really faltered. We have absolutely great defenders...at every level. Williams is our shut-down corner ( to use a football expression ); Muhl and Paige are smothering, Olivia and Edwards intimidating, and Westbrook solid as a rock. And we all know what Aubrey brings, when she enters ( I was surprised that she did not get on the court in the first half ). I still hope that Anna will find her game....but her shot takes a while and she needs to find space. The bench players should get some decent court time in round one of the big dance. But then it is going to be limited to seven or maybe eight players. The beauty of this team is that Geno can mix and match, depending on the opponent and who is hot. The Big Dance should be great.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If you think I am not a fan of Geno, you are right. But it is not Geno, it is Big Time College coaches many of whom are practically dictators to a bunch of young adults
That's what he gets paid for. Every time he's asked, he says his only secret is consistency in treating every game the same. He gets the best players (the ones he wants), because they want to play for him. Sounds like you'd be happier rooting for a 5-win team. That's your call but you won't get much agreement here.

Reaction Score
Almost all Universities have a maximum salary that the school can pay, most of the time it is by the State Legislature. They also allow the coaches to get paid outside of what the school pays to increase their salary. The better the coach the higher the salary. Nick Saban makes most of his 10 million annual salary the same as Geno makes his, from TV and boosters, and yes it is 100% legal.
Many people here have this snowflake in ignore. Just ignore him. BTW I heard there is a patient name Nick just runs away from Silver Hill Hospital.

Reaction Score
I know UConn doesn’t cut the nets until the National Championship but the Big East could’ve added some confetti or balloons. This just looks like the ending after a regular game.
You should have kept watching...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom