Marquette Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • There are two things you can absolutely count on when March rolls around each year. You need to set your clocks ahead 1 hour, and Geno will have his team playing their best basketball of the season.
  • Christyn has become UConn’s defensive stopper. Her assignment vs Marquette was senior guard and leading scorer Selena Lott, who went off for 27 pts in the semis. Tonight, Christyn held Lott to 2 pts on 1/5 shooting while harassing her all night long.
  • Lott, the co-defensive player of the year in the BE, did not fair quite so well, as Paige put up 23 on her.
  • UConn just beat a very good Marquette team by 34 points in the conference championship, while holding the Golden Eagles to just 39 pts on 29% shooting. IMO, the Huskies secured the #1 overall seed in the Big Dance, despite what Charlie Crème may have to say about it.
  • The Huskies have some weaknesses that they will no doubt work on leading into the NCAA's. But this UConn team has the talent required to win it all, and the coach who can make that happen.

Reaction Score
I know UConn doesn’t cut the nets until the National Championship but the Big East could’ve added some confetti or balloons. This just looks like the ending after a regular game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So Marquette is no slouch. Not thrilled with Q2, but after the offensive explosion in Q1, maybe it's not surprising, and Marquette, being a good team, recovered from the shellacking and played really tough in Q2.
  • Looks like we got the scoring Paige back. 10-15 is very efficient and 23 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists is great. 6 TO's not so great, but hey, she's human.
  • Christyn didn't have an offensive explosion, but man has she been good, and a complete basketball player over the past few weeks. Bodes REALLY well for the NCAA's. Her defense on Lott was spectacular, and her defense in general has been so good lately. A few more games in the BE, and she might have been defensive player of the year.
  • The other day it was a post player's game with ONO and Liya scoring most of the points. Today it was the guards - Nika had her best offensive game in a while. SO glad she's back and seems to be at 100%. She's got a lot of Jen Rizotti in her (feisty, tough, and intense)
  • Evina seemed quiet, then I realized she had 6 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, and 3 steals. She continuously does so many things the team needs her to do. She's special. I hope she comes back, but have loved her tons, and if this is her only year playing for UCONN, she will still be a special player that fans adored this season.
  • How about Olivia with the assists? Not a great scoring night, but 5 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, and 4 blocks!
  • Aaliyah was ok - seemed to get stuck under the basket or something with shots that didn't go in. 3-8 shooting not her best effort. My friend Ken calls her "Thor". Best nickname ever...!!
  • Loved seeing Mir and Aubrey get into the scoring column and Piath nabbed a rebound so good on her!
All around a solid 30+ point win against a team who I think should be ranked about 20 or 21. Holding them to 39 points - it again shows how good our defense has been/become. Marquette shot 18-62 (29%) and only Taylor scored over 10 points (11). We held Van Kleunan to 6 and Lott to 2. Marquette's FT defense was fierce, though, as we only shot 54% at 6-11!

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am waiting for the Fox Sports gabbers to acknowledge that in Marquette's 52 out of 57 games with a rebounding advantage over the last 2 seasons, the Huskies have 3 of the 5!!! And obviously, all were this season.

And how did Marquette's 2 stars, Lott and Van Kluenen, do offensively???

What a good win, they came out on fire ?and ended the game with 50% FG and 3PT shooting. Hmm, wonder what Stanford's was last night???

Reaction Score
a solid 30+ point win against a team who I think should be ranked about 20 or 21.
If Marquette is the 20th best team in the Country, the women's game is in worse shape than ever.

Reaction Score
I know UConn doesn’t cut the nets until the National Championship but the Big East could’ve added some confetti or balloons. This just looks like the ending after a regular game.
I spoke too soon but it would’ve been nicer if it was directly after the final buzzer.

Reaction Score
I am waiting for the Fox Sports gabbers to acknowledge that in Marquette's 52 out of 57 games with a rebounding advantage over the last 2 seasons, the Huskies have 3 of the 5!!! And obviously, all were this season.

What a good win, they came out on fire ?and ended the game with 50% FG and 3PT shooting. Hmm, wonder what Stanford's was last night???
UConn's defense really kills Marquette.

Reaction Score
The TEAM chemistry brings me so much joy! ? The positivity is contagious and it’s palpable through the TV screen. And I love how everyone threw Saylor in the group celebration at the end...even though she seemed a bit reluctant ? This reminds me of the Dolson Days when I saw such a balance between intensity and silliness. What a memorable regular season!!! ❤️Congrats everyone!! You continue to make us proud in more ways than just winning!

“In a world where you can be anything... be KIND”

Reaction Score
After the 1st Q we went into cruise control for an easy win. Defense was great. Another conference championship and on to the big dance.

Anyone have an idea of why Paige dribbled down the clock on two possessions, both resulting in shot clock violations?

Reaction Score
Defense has been unbelievably outstanding. Three tournament games and they gave up an avg of about40 pts a game. That is most impressive. All around great play from all, but as EricLA mentioned above, Evina does a lot, in the limited minutes she plays. Sometimes she gets overlooked.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I spoke too soon but it would’ve been nicer if it was directly after the final buzzer.
oh brother weekend update GIF

Reaction Score
UConn makes great teams look awful. It's par for the course.
Marguette is not anywhere near a great team. At the end of the tournament each year in women's basketball, after looking at who beat who to get to the final four, we find there are 1-4 great teams, 6-10 very good teams and then the rest of the field. it is not possible for anything else because the really good players, of which there are not many are scooped up by the same teams year after year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom