Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am continually amazed at the number of posters, couch coaches, who give our opponents absolutely no credit for being a good team. Its always someone who didn't do what they were supposed to or play up to expectations.

And when all else fails, blame Geno or a poor coaching job.

Marquette is a very good team. Duffy is a very good coach. You can see the ND influence in Marquette's play. Give credit were credit is due.
They're not ranked, and WCBB powerhouses like FGCU, Missouri State, and SFA all get more votes than Marquette. Just because UConn has a tough game doesn't mean the opponent is very good. If Paige has a normal shooting night, the game is a blowout like last time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One good thing about this UConn team is that they can beat you a bunch of different ways. We all love it when the Huskies are pushing the tempo and making highlight reel plays on offense, but in a game like last night, facing a tough, physical opponent, this UConn team has the ability to pound the offensive glass with Liv, Aaliyah and Aubrey to win an ugly game.

Frankly, with the potential to face teams like A&M, Baylor, SC and others during the Big Dance, the ability to play and win a physical matchup may give UConn an edge they haven’t had in the past few seasons.

Reaction Score
Confluence of ; being tired both in the short term several games in recent days , long term draining season, a well coached team with time to prepare, team embarrassed in prior matchup all led to " only" a 10 point win. The most important aspect of this win. We slugged it out and effort not necessarily talent won this game. Things like blocks and
made baskets were obviously both important, but hands up tipping ball , rotations on defense that do not show in box score those extended plays repeatedly. The difference in this team is the grit in a few players we haven't had for awhile.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The passing numbers were what jumped out at me. 12 assists (season low) on 28 field goals, with 15 assists. Last game that bad was last season's loss to Baylor.
Fast break baskets and putbacks are unassisted. It’s hard to tell if the low number assists means bad offense or a lot of those kind of baskets.

Reaction Score
The other team was held to 53 pts while shooting 40/33% with UCONN adding 8 blocks and a big edge in defensive rebounds; but don't let the facts cloud your opinion.
and the shots they made were easy ones (quite a few) caused by defensive breakdown. Don't let it happening in front of your eyes cloud your opinion.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fast break baskets and putbacks are unassisted. It’s hard to tell if the low number assists means bad offense or a lot of those kind of baskets.

UConn had two fastbreak points. That was Paige's one assist on the night to Edwards.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Fastbreaks CAN be unassisted, generally a steal and a full court run out. Just as often, you beat the defense down the court with two or three passes and little to no dribbling. Last pass on those earns an assist.

Reaction Score
They packed the back line on defense, preventing any backdoor or drives to the basket. They pressured the three point line and sagged back on any UConn player inside the line. The foul line area was open and luckily Liv was on today. What saved UConn was their rebounding, defense and Liv.
UConn will see that defense again from better teams and will need more than 11 points from Evina, Nika, and CW.

Reaction Score
Give me a break. I didn't realize Geno was shooting the ball, passing the ball, or doing anything on the floor. The team, no, the guards, shot terribly, so how was that Geno's fault? If 10 more shots went in we win by 30 and you don't say anything about Geno. He can't coach and play too.
Not sure why some get so defensive about Geno. While I believe he is one of the great coaches of any sport, he criticizes his own work from time to time. To think that anyone is perfect every game is a bit optimistic. I also believe that few coaches bring out their most creative work for a team they should normally beat until the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Exactly my thoughts! Marquette played a hell of a game, and we just lacked intensity, but were able to gut it out, luckily.

Paige was mostly a non factor and her body language was not good for most of the game. She’s letting her poor shooting the last few games get to her and you can read it all over her face. Could be a little of that freshman wall? Nika tends to force things and has a lot of ups and downs. We looked a lot better when Liv and AE were out there together. AE is killing it down the stretch. Hopefully some rest and practice will do them some good.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Aubrey's stats including 4 Points, in very short minutes, was again "Very Impressive"

I know that you can speak of "Intangibles" and what each person brings to the floor. BUT, statistics don't lie and the impact that players have in certain games, tells a great story. Here is the line on 3 Players from last night's game:

In comparison, in "Per Minute Played" it breaks down as follows:

Aubrey Griffin:

Total Minutes Played = 9 Minutes
Points Per Minute Played = 0.44 Points
Rebounds Per Minute Played = 0.44 Boards
Assists Per Minute Played = 0.00 Assists

Nika Muhl:

Total Minutes Played = 26 Minutes
Points Per Minute Played = 0.08 Points
Rebounds Per Minute Played = 0.19 Boards
Assists Per Minute Played - 0.08 Assists

Evina Westbrook:

Total Minutes Played = 33 Minutes
Points Per Minute Played = 0.09 Points
Rebounds Per Minute Played = 0.15 Boards
Assists Per Minute Played = 0.09 Assists

So, for last night's game, who deserved more time on the court and who deserved less time on the court? You decide?

Reaction Score
Well.......I kinda liked this game because it was close but UConn stayed in the lead all the way through. I thought that Marquette played pretty well. Perhaps their intensity of defense slowed down the scoring of our guards or our guards just had a crappy night. The low score by UConn indicated to me that this was the performance of another tired team. On the upside, I really would like to see ONO and Edwards come out and score 35 points between them every game all the way to win the championship. If the guards could put up another 45 points, there would be no question of a victory.

Rest and relaxation seem to me to be a big factor here on this team. And, if injuries persist like to Evina last night, resources are going to be overplayed and thinned out.

Reaction Score
I have an idea. When PB knows in advance that she is shooting, and is 100% committed to it she hits a high percentage. But her instinct to find others open is so strong that when in motion, coming off screens for curls etc. she often is still half expecting to pass as she goes up and isn't totally focused. I believe another factor is that for probably the first time in her career she's being physically challenged and bumped when going for shots in traffic and she needs to learn to expect contact and go up stronger, focused on the shot and braced for it. Mostly a mental adjustment.
She also caught the ball from teammates with less than 2 seconds on the shot clock a few times. Had to jack up some difficult shots that didn't help her shooting percentage.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
During the February 5th game at Marquette, Geno commented in his post-game comments that he thought the Huskie's execution was perhaps as good as he had seen up to that point in the season. The damage in that 87-58 win was done primarily by the guards: Paige B. had 30 and Christyn Williams scored 18. Aaliyah Edwards had 11.
The Huskies shut down Warrior leading scorer, Selena Lott, holding her to 6 points and only allowing her 7 FG attempts. Both teams had 32 rebounds. Grad student forward Lauren Van Kleunen had 18 points and soph. center Camryn Taylor had 10 points and 11 rebounds.

Fast forward to this game. Marquette had a busy stretch, playing three games in six days, winning home games against Villanova and Creighton and then going to Chicago to nip DePaul. Big wins. Since then, they've been able to rest and bit and get ready for improving against UConn.

As many noted, they played hard. I'll take it a step further: they played hard with purpose. Geno recognized that the Warriors extended their perimeter defense and put pressure on the guards. Hard, unrelenting pressure. Paige scored double figures but shot 6-17and had 4 turnovers. But Geno lamented that no one else (guards) seem willing to shoot.

However, the offense adoitly found the inside options and they delivered: Olivia Nelson-Ododa had 19 points and 10 rebounds, while Ms. Edwards had 16 points and 8 rebounds. And Geno showed that this plan extended to taking ove the paint, having a vast rebounding edge and also protecting the paint. ON-O had 6 blocks! And Edwards finds space, either with cuts or following up on second shots. Bravo.

Overall, UConn held Marquette to 53 points and once again hounded Lott into a subpar night. No Lott, no chance for a Warrior win. Taylor, who is developing into a solid paint player, had 19 points and 6 rebounds. Warrior PG Jordan King, who I swear looks related to Paige, had a better 2nd game with 11 points. Taylor and King are only sophs and will only get better, which they have to because Van Kleunen and Lott are probably gone.

Warrior Coach Megan Duffy develops players: she's done so as an assistant, at Miami of Ohio and now. None of those players are top-rated but they're usally smart, improve technically and play hard. And learn from their mistakes. Duffy noted in pre-game interviews she didn't want them playing on their heels and I think they moved to the middle of their feet.

So, one of those "good reminder" games for the Huskies. Things to pay attention to and work on.
And good news for the Warrior faithful. They have a smart, competitive coach who instills confidence and fight into her charges (reminds this Domer fan of another coach).

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
......future opponents will certainly be watching that tape........
I thought Marquette was doing some damage running the ball but they couldn't sustain that pace. A good running team playing UConn should give it a go. Did I hear the halftime commentator say NC St. can run?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
During the February 5th game at Marquette, Geno commented in his post-game comments that he thought the Huskie's execution was perhaps as good as he had seen up to that point in the season. The damage in that 87-58 win was done primarily by the guards: Paige B. had 30 and Christyn Williams scored 18. Aaliyah Edwards had 11.
The Huskies shut down Warrior leading scorer, Selena Lott, holding her to 6 points and only allowing her 7 FG attempts. Both teams had 32 rebounds. Grad student forward Lauren Van Kleunen had 18 points and soph. center Camryn Taylor had 10 points and 11 rebounds.

Fast forward to this game. Marquette had a busy stretch, playing three games in six days, winning home games against Villanova and Creighton and then going to Chicago to nip DePaul. Big wins. Since then, they've been able to rest and bit and get ready for improving against UConn.

As many noted, they played hard. I'll take it a step further: they played hard with purpose. Geno recognized that the Warriors extended their perimeter defense and put pressure on the guards. Hard, unrelenting pressure. Paige scored double figures but shot 6-17and had 4 turnovers. But Geno lamented that no one else (guards) seem willing to shoot.

However, the offense adoitly found the inside options and they delivered: Olivia Nelson-Ododa had 19 points and 10 rebounds, while Ms. Edwards had 16 points and 8 rebounds. And Geno showed that this plan extended to taking ove the paint, having a vast rebounding edge and also protecting the paint. ON-O had 6 blocks! And Edwards finds space, either with cuts or following up on second shots. Bravo.

Overall, UConn held Marquette to 53 points and once again hounded Lott into a subpar night. No Lott, no chance for a Warrior win. Taylor, who is developing into a solid paint player, had 19 points and 6 rebounds. Jordan King, who I swear looks related to Paige, had a better game with 11 points. Taylor and King are only sophs and will get better.

Why? Because Coach Megan Duffy develops players. None of those players are top-rated but they improve technically and play hard. And learn from their mistakes. Duffy noted in pre-game interviews she didn't want them playing on the heels and I think they moved to the middle of their feet.

So, one of those "good reminder" games for the Huskies. Things to pay attention to and work on.
And good news for the Warrior's faithful. Smart, competitive coach who instills confidence and fight into her charges (reminds this Domer fan of another coach).
Nice analysis. So here’s a loaded question for you. Better HC: Niele Ivey or Megan Duffy? ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman