Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will say there is a lack of chemistry when AG is in the game but it is NOT because she doesn't know the offense. My feeling is that the chemistry would be stronger if GA simply played her more early on so the players can get use to each other.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last year Aubrey didn’t know the offense. This year that’s not true. The fact that she doesn’t shoot the ball much, means she is doing exactly what Geno expects her to do, pass, cut, set screens and, on occasion, drive to the basket. I get that Aubrey’s inability to hit open jump shots is a liability in UConn’s motion offense. But that’s what you give up in exchange for a lock down defender and strong rebounder.

Reaction Score
Last year Aubrey didn’t know the offense. This year that’s not true. The fact that she doesn’t shoot the ball much, means she is doing exactly what Geno expects her to do, pass, cut, set screens and, on occasion, drive to the basket. I get that Aubrey’s inability to hit open jump shots is a liability in UConn’s motion offense. But that’s what you give up in exchange for a lock down defender and strong rebounder.
and somebody who generally makes things happen every single time she enters the game..rebounds, put-backs, steals, blockshots, you name it....

Reaction Score
AG is a great weak-side rebounder. Great role for this team especially when the outside shooting is not there. I think her role in the "ugly" games coming up in the tourney will be critical, and she'll get more minutes. The "finesse" game quickly breaks down as the defensive intensity picks up, the talent level picks up, & the nerves pick up!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not saying that never happens, but I encourage you to watch a full game and focus exclusively on Aubrey when she’s in the game. She is almost constantly in motion at both ends of the court trying to make plays any way she can. It is what Geno has most consistently praised Aubrey for, and represents her greatest impact to the team.

Reaction Score
I agree. Was rooting hard for Nika all year - but her and Evina do not want to shoot. I also think Aubrey is a game changer and needs more than a few minutes come tournament time.
I agree. Both were open , hesitated and passed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure why you would place a negative connotation on Aubrey’s PT. Aubrey is playing as part of the regular 7-player rotation. She is currently averaging 18 mpg. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents:

As with everybody here, I am in agreement that this was not a well-played game. In saying that, there were 2-3 possessions in each half that nullified points for us and directly led to points for Marquette. Missed shots, offensive fouls, bad or unlucky bounce, even a bad call or two. Otherwise we win by 20.

It is hard to run a motion offense when one of the defenders will not play the high post and were are running a high post motion offense. To her credit, Liv took and made a fair share of those shots but there were plenty of times she did not make the shot or tried in vain to find somebody open for the pass, refusing to even look at the basket.

It is also hard to play well when you actually do shoot, you miss most of the time as we did: PB, CW, NM and EW combined for 10 for 37 and 3-15 from 3. That is some really bad shooting all around. We only shot 5 FTs also. Fortunately Liv, AE and even AG had really good games. Liv missed a few she should have hit and it seems sometimes she is being told to not shoot from the FT elbow and wait to get the ball to PB.

Chalk it up to a bad day at the office.

AG – I thought she was terrific in her spot duty in the first half (6ish minutes I believe) and then got hardly anything in the second half. Not sure why you would take her out on defense when the opposition has the ball with one shot left in the quarter. Also, I can’t see why she doesn’t get more playing time. She got less than 10 minutes while CW, EW and PB play big minutes. You can get all of them some more rest by rotating AG in the game for different players but yet still play her at the 4 or 3 even. I’d like to see Liv with AE and AG on the court together.

AG comes in the first half and immediately makes an impact multiple times and then sits most of the second half. I think GA needs to get her in the game more which would give other players a breather and make them better as well. Even if she isn’t as good in the half court as GA wants, she does so many other things to make up for that and then goes out and proves it game in and game out.

1614704907711.png

1614704993198.png

Reaction Score
I am continually amazed at the number of posters, couch coaches, who give our opponents absolutely no credit for being a good team. Its always someone who didn't do what they were supposed to or play up to expectations.

And when all else fails, blame Geno or a poor coaching job.

Marquette is a very good team. Duffy is a very good coach. You can see the ND influence in Marquette's play. Give credit were credit is due.
Marquette is an unranked team. They are well coached, but they don't have the players to compete at an elite level if they do manage to get into the tournament. We should have beat them like a stepchild. If we "play down" like this in the tourney, or have a game like this where Liv & Paige don't show up, we'll get whacked.

It's OK to have an off-night when you're tired and you're playing a team you know 100% you're going to beat. But I don't credit Marquette for that. That's on UConn.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I’m not the one who said this but I think the criticism I’ve seen aimed at CW is that against lower teams she will have good scoring games and we all think she’s turned a corner but then in a tougher game, in a closer game where others are struggling she doesn’t step up and is nowhere to be seen offensively.
She has done well since the last few weeks. Can't say she only performs against the lower teams, because most of the teams in the BE ARE lower teams. Can't do anything about that!

Reaction Score
A win is a win. I’ll take it! Not pretty as discussed in this thread. I’m giving the team a pass as I thought everyone was tired. Remember this year has been very disjointed and unpredictable. We have a very special team
that was quite tired last night! Here’s to a fantastic, fast-paced, non-tired game on Saturday! Love you Huskies!

Reaction Score
Nice analysis. So here’s a loaded question for you. Better HC: Niele Ivey or Megan Duffy? ?
I have listened to Duffy's press conferences before/after Uconn games. She is extremely well spoken, positive and seems to be very focused on building a great program at Marquette. The problem Marquette has, as soon they do build something....their coaches leave for "greener' pastures.

Reaction Score
Not saying that never happens, but I encourage you to watch a full game and focus exclusively on Aubrey when she’s in the game. She is almost constantly in motion at both ends of the court trying to make plays any way she can. It is what Geno has most consistently praised Aubrey for, and represents her greatest impact to the team.
If you wanted to be really critical, you can say the same about CW who does the same little weave and bob when she gets the ball

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Marquette is an unranked team. They are well coached, but they don't have the players to compete at an elite level if they do manage to get into the tournament. We should have beat them like a stepchild. If we "play down" like this in the tourney, or have a game like this where Liv & Paige don't show up, we'll get whacked.

It's OK to have an off-night when you're tired and you're playing a team you know 100% you're going to beat. But I don't credit Marquette for that. That's on UConn.
I would put Marquette, DePaul, and even Seton Hall up against the 3 through 5 teams in P5 conferences. Too many people think all Big East teams are weak and have very little talent. DePaul lost to Butler mainly because Sonya Morris did not play. The teams I just listed are as good as Texas, Northwestern, LSU and some others that have beaten ranked teams. Just because a team is unranked does not make them weak, especially this season. Evidently UConn is doomed because they play in a perceived weak conference. Ask Tennessee and South Carolina how weak competition prepared UConn to beat them. How many teams this season are able to compete at an elite level? Is there such a thing as an elite level this season? If there is, then the level of elite has dropped significantly, just saying. Maybe I'm thinking too highly of the talent of some Big East teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My 2 cents:

As with everybody here, I am in agreement that this was not a well-played game. In saying that, there were 2-3 possessions in each half that nullified points for us and directly led to points for Marquette. Missed shots, offensive fouls, bad or unlucky bounce, even a bad call or two. Otherwise we win by 20.

It is hard to run a motion offense when one of the defenders will not play the high post and were are running a high post motion offense. To her credit, Liv took and made a fair share of those shots but there were plenty of times she did not make the shot or tried in vain to find somebody open for the pass, refusing to even look at the basket.

It is also hard to play well when you actually do shoot, you miss most of the time as we did: PB, CW, NM and EW combined for 10 for 37 and 3-15 from 3. That is some really bad shooting all around. We only shot 5 FTs also. Fortunately Liv, AE and even AG had really good games. Liv missed a few she should have hit and it seems sometimes she is being told to not shoot from the FT elbow and wait to get the ball to PB.

Chalk it up to a bad day at the office.

AG – I thought she was terrific in her spot duty in the first half (6ish minutes I believe) and then got hardly anything in the second half. Not sure why you would take her out on defense when the opposition has the ball with one shot left in the quarter. Also, I can’t see why she doesn’t get more playing time. She got less than 10 minutes while CW, EW and PB play big minutes. You can get all of them some more rest by rotating AG in the game for different players but yet still play her at the 4 or 3 even. I’d like to see Liv with AE and AG on the court together.

AG comes in the first half and immediately makes an impact multiple times and then sits most of the second half. I think GA needs to get her in the game more which would give other players a breather and make them better as well. Even if she isn’t as good in the half court as GA wants, she does so many other things to make up for that and then goes out and proves it game in and game out.
My problem is with the motion offense as well. Of course I preface any comments with the fact that Geno has 1100 more wins than me. Got that out of the way! Sometimes Geno doesn't make adjustments. Is it because he wants the team to fight through the problems? Arkansas, he knows 500 ways to stop Dungee, but he chose not to do anything about her. Is this "tough love" or is he a step slow now.
IMO he can run his motion from a million different sets. Even my dull coaching brain had 4-5 sets. For example, you can start out 4 high, 2 wings and 2 high posts at the elbows. Then you start your action. 4 low, wings are in the corners and posts are on the blocks. Then you start your action. I still love the 4 starting on the blocks with screens to free up the wings. That 5th grade action would have freed up our wings for shots, drives, post passes. And screeners always show to the ball. Then the flashes high come with pick and roll action etc.
Marquette IMO is a really good YMCA team. We're UConn. They just happen to be the best team in the BE after us. There are physically talented teams in the NCAA. What happens now, going forward, if teams overplay our guards, go under screens, forcing players to shoot and they leave our post alone at the high post and 1 on 1 inside. Liv played good but .... she may not be one of our best players and teams are going to make her beat them. Come on Geno, break out your bag of tricks. If I never see another hand-off..... Thanks BY. I feel better now!

Reaction Score
I would put Marquette, DePaul, and even St. Johns up against the 3 through 5 teams in P5 conferences. Too many people think all Big East teams are weak and have very little talent. DePaul lost to Butler mainly because Sonya Morris did not play. The teams I just listed are as good as Texas, Northwestern, LSU and some others that have beaten ranked teams. Just because a team is unranked does not make them weak, especially this season. Evidently UConn is doomed because they play in a perceived weak conference. Ask Tennessee and South Carolina how weak competition prepared UConn to beat them. How many teams this season are able to compete at an elite level? Is there such a thing as an elite level this season? If there is, then the level of elite has dropped significantly, Just saying. Maybe I'm thinking too highly of the talent of some Big East teams.
Or how the supposed fierce SEC competition prepared them to beat UConn.

Reaction Score
I would put Marquette, DePaul, and even St. Johns up against the 3 through 5 teams in P5 conferences. Too many people think all Big East teams are weak and have very little talent. DePaul lost to Butler mainly because Sonya Morris did not play. The teams I just listed are as good as Texas, Northwestern, LSU and some others that have beaten ranked teams. Just because a team is unranked does not make them weak, especially this season. Evidently UConn is doomed because they play in a perceived weak conference. Ask Tennessee and South Carolina how weak competition prepared UConn to beat them. How many teams this season are able to compete at an elite level? Is there such a thing as an elite level this season? If there is, then the level of elite has dropped significantly, Just saying. Maybe I'm thinking too highly of the talent of some Big East teams.
UConn does play in a weak conference. How many P5 conferences have a team that's undefeated in the conference? (OK Big 12, but they're kind of a joke too.) I'm not saying UConn is doomed, in fact I like them to go all the way. I'm just saying don't give Marquette too much credit for UConn's ugly game last night. I just can't accept that it's due to Marquette's stifling defense that Christyn didn't show up at all and Paige had one assist.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily.

He could be not playing her for other reasons besides that she doesn't understand the offense. I do think that she does not have as good a chemistry in the half court with her teammates, but no matter what is seen or said or believed...you cannot dispute the results: AG impacts the game as soon as she comes in.

With the exception of PB and AE, I think she impacts the game more than any other player we have. She may not be a perfect fit, but she deserves more playing time and she proves it most every game. It is the coach's responsibility to figure out how to get her to play more/better and it mystifies me why he didn't yesterday.

Before you start telling me all the championships, etc. GA has won, he is still a man, a human, who makes mistakes like the rest of us. I am sure, if GA is honest when he retires, he will own up to more than a few mistakes he has made. I can think of few off the top of my head. No matter what GA says or doesn't say, it is my humble opinion that AG deserves more minutes in yesterday's game.

By the way, I said the same thing about NM BEFORE she became a starter. Caught a lot of heat for it too...

Reaction Score
I have listened to Duffy's press conferences before/after Uconn games. She is extremely well spoken, positive and seems to be very focused on building a great program at Marquette. The problem Marquette has, as soon they do build something....their coaches leave for "greener' pastures.
Good point! And after cultivating Marquette into a top 25 team, Duffy will be a prime candidate to move to a more lucrative job. She is a great motivator & her passion is contagious.

Reaction Score
Muhl has to understand and incorporate to a much lesser degree what Auriemma has said about Bueckers; that the more she shots when wide open, the lanes for the passing she so obviously prefers will open up. Her overpassing while turning down 8-10 feet jumpers is a problem for sure.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK. I’m not asking why Aubrey, or any other Husky doesn’t get more PT. I never have, nor will I ever do so. I figure that’s why Geno gets the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom