Marquette Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, A windstorm took out my power right after the 1st quarter. I ended up following the gamecast on my phone. Not a very pretty game from what I could tell. So the BY is going to have to fill me in on the details.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a mess of a game. After winning the 1st Q by 11, basically a totally even game for the remaining 30 minutes (outscored by 1). I get that Marquette is no slouch, but this is not the performance anyone wanted to see heading into the tourneys.

Lack of energy and purpose, lousy shooting nights for Paige, Evina and Christyn. In fact, Paige had 1 assist and 4 turnovers. The way this team played, I can't see how they have confidence or feelings of momentum entering the BET. Not sure what the answer is. I mean, Geno has always said the team builds to March for the tourneys. So THIS is what they built to?!

Nika, Christyn and Evina shot 4-20. Not good at all for our 3 starting guards. Paige not much better at 6-17. 12 assists on 28 made baskets. The guards just didn't have it tonight.

On the good side, Liv didn't have the greatest shooting night, but 9-18, 19 points, 3 assists, 6 blocks and 10 rebounds is really solid. Double double - yay!

Liya - love everything about her. 0 fouls, 16 points, 8 boards, 7-9 shooting. I love me some Nika, but frankly, I think we are better when Liya and Liv are on the floor and one of our guards sits.

Our rebounding was strong. 43-25 including 18 O-boards. So that's a positive also... But...

Overall a sad game and lousy way to end the regular season. On Senior Night. If this Evina's last home game, UGH. Hoping Evina is OK. Thoughts and prayers...

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guys, A windstorm took out my power right after the 1st quarter. I ended up following the gamecast on my phone. Not a very pretty game from what I could tell. So the BY is going to have to fill me in on the details.
About what you’d expect for the fourth game in 10 days, 3 on the road, and a young team.

JBK

Reaction Score
What a mess of a game. After winning the 1st Q by 11, basically a totally even game for the remaining 30 minutes (outscored by 1). I get that Marquette is no slouch, but this is not the performance anyone wanted to see heading into the tourneys. Lack of energy and purpose, lousy shooting nights for Paige, Evina and Christyn. In fact, Paige had 1 assist and 4 turnovers. The way this team played, I can't see how they have any confidence entering the BET. Not sure what the answer is.

Nika, Christyn and Evina shot 4-20. Not good at all for our 3 starting guards. Paige not much better at 6-17.

On the good side, Liv didn't have the greatest shooting night, but 9-18, 19 points, 3 assists, 5 blocks and 10 rebounds is really solid. Double double - yay!

Liya - love everything about her. 0 fouls, 16 points, 8 boards, 7-9 shooting. I love me some Nika, but frankly, I think we are better when Liya and Liv are on the floor and one of our guards sits.

Overall a sad game and lousy way to end the regular season. Hoping Evina is OK. Thoughts and prayers...
I agree. Was rooting hard for Nika all year - but her and Evina do not want to shoot. I also think Aubrey is a game changer and needs more than a few minutes come tournament time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree. Was rooting hard for Nika all year - but her and Evina do not want to shoot. I also think Aubrey is a game changer and needs more than a few minutes come tournament time.
Aubrey still has problems working within the offense. Geno doesn’t need another player that won‘t score

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Every game is not going to be a thing of beauty. Also, 50% shooting is great, 9 for 18. Some of you need to stop expecting this team to perform so highly every game. Baylor struggled with a Texas team they beat previously by over twenty. They won by seven. The team did seem to lack energy but there must have been a reason for that. When Evina, Williams, and Bueckers have shooting nights like they had tonight UConn will struggle. Even Maryland struggled Sunday. We should get used to it.

Reaction Score
Not one of Geno's best games. Marquette was playing tough man-to-man defense on the perimeter & there was no spacing or room to shoot. So, a lot of purposeless passing on the perimeter. No adjustments at all at halftime. Our offense was basically controlling the boards for easy put-backs. That wont work in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Freshman being freshmen (AE looks like the exception). Paige and Nika must learn that, the second and third time opponents play against you, they will play harder and tougher. Meaning Paige and Nika must try even harder to get the same result they got the first time. Getting punched means you must punch back, but harder.

They will learn.

ps. Kudos to Marquette. Took it to UConn from the get go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grind out, hard fought game. Personally, I think the perfect game to prepare for the tournaments. Basketball is easy when you are shooting lights out and not turning the ball over but character shows when you’re not playing well and you are willing to win by out working a good, hard working team.

Reaction Score
The team looked mentally grounded to paste by the 4th quarter...but a win's a win. Nice long break now, to prepare for what's next.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Marquette is a tough, well coached team. They won 6 in a row and had 5 days to prepare for this game to UConn’s 2 days. An ugly win is always better than a beautiful loss.

Now UConn has a few days to rest up and prepare for the BE tournament. It’s all good.

Reaction Score
I'm worried that we've seen the best Christyn Williams already. This game cried out for her to step up.
And she didn’t. This was the most disappointing thing tonight for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom