Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That clip resonates because Iverson never got better, his teams never got better and he never won. He lost as an Olympic player for crying out loud. I wish Magic Johnson thought practice was a joke. He never would have developed that baby hook shot.
Yeah I thought AI was a punk for doing that.

Practice does matter. You need to give it your all, all the time. Loafing in practice is different than being a bad practice player.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to find the other coaches with 11 national titles...
Don't think you will....

But do you really think Pat was a better coach than GA when she had loads more titles than him?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If AG had the handle to create shots off the dribble she'd be getting a lot more minutes. This is not bashing... She's a great off rebounder, a put back machine, and a strong physical defender whose style would lend itself to foul trouble over extended periods. She's not a ball handler and not a creator of shots for others. Still an important role player going forward. You may consider it blind "worshipping at the temple of Geno" to think he knows what he's doing. I consider it unimaginable hubris to think that he (and CD, and Jamelle, and Shea) don't know what they're doing.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Don't think you will....

But do you really think Pat was a better coach than GA when she had loads more titles than him?
No, nor do I think her methods (re playing time and motivation) were significantly different from his. Your quote was that other coaches get the same results with different methods.

Reaction Score
No, nor do I think her methods (re playing time and motivation) were significantly different from his. Your quote was that other coaches get the same results with different methods.
well other coaches can win games and motivate players but not necessarily win 11 titles. GA is the total package because he can out-recruit anybody. Recruiting kids to come to Storrs is not easy. Easier now maybe than it used to be but then there are less kids that will take to GA's strict rules as well.

Now are there other coaches that could win 11 titles with GA's players...hmmm maybe a couple I can think of.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
well other coaches can win games and motivate players but not necessarily win 11 titles. GA is the total package because he can out-recruit anybody. Recruiting kids to come to Storrs is not easy. Easier now maybe than it used to be but then there are less kids that will take to GA's strict rules as well.

Now are there other coaches that could win 11 titles with GA's players...hmmm maybe a couple I can think of.
He gets his fair share of top recruits, not all. Better question is does Geno win off his recruiting or does he recruit off his winning? I'd argue the later.

Reaction Score
He gets his fair share of top recruits, not all. Better question is does Geno win off his recruiting or does he recruit off his winning? I'd argue the later.
Can't win without recruits but you can recruit without winning as he did in the beginning....

could argue chicken and the egg though.

Reaction Score
guilty as charged. my apologies for my part in the digression.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

They may win under other coaches but I am sure it would not look the same.

Reaction Score
I agree. Both were open , hesitated and passed.
Totally agree, we need more shooting or driving threats, look what AK did to us by faking a shot and driving to the hoop. AG is a fine disruptive defensive player that gets her hands on a lot of balls. She can also drive if on the baseline like Williams. If Liv gets into foul trouble, AG is a great option to help inside.

Reaction Score
Come on, be objective! We all love Geno! He's an all-time great- Wooden, Lombardi, Belichick, Noll, Coach K....
Why do I have to argue against an idol?
He's won 9 of his 11 NC's with the 3 best players ever to play WBB (post Cheryl Miller, Ann Meyers- pro basketball was non existent then). D, Stewie, and Maya. But it's more than NC's. It's the consistency and the program's excellence that is such a separator from his peers. All due respect, I want/need Geno to win one (or more) when he's not expected to. Wooden did it, Coach K did it. (Knock on wood) This year would be such a crowning achievement.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Come on, be objective! We all love Geno! He's an all-time great- Wooden, Lombardi, Belichick, Noll, Coach K....
He's won 9 of his 11 NC's with the 3 best players ever to play WBB (post Cheryl Miller, Ann Meyers- pro basketball was non existent then). D, Stewie, and Maya. But it's more than NC's. It's the consistency and the program's excellence that is such a separator from his peers. All due respect, I want/need Geno to win one (or more) when he's not expected to. Wooden did it, Coach K did it. (Knock on wood) This year would be such a crowning achievement.
It took him 10 years to get his first, building with local recruits. Kerry Bascom, Rebecca Lobo... Flood gates opened with TASSK in '98. He built it and then they came.

Reaction Score
It took him 10 years to get his first, building with local recruits. Kerry Bascom, Rebecca Lobo... Flood gates opened with TASSK in '98. He built it and then they came.
Took Wooden a long time too. Similar trajectories.
IMO maybe his greatest legacy, even more than NC's, is that the young people feel that they will become the best they can be by coming to UConn with Geno. I loved the recent piece by Pheesa about choosing UConn.
I want him to climb up into his attic and pull out some of his tricks to help this year's team climb the mountain. I'm not talking about his continuity offense or any other traditional stuff. I mean the kitchen sink. We see from afar that these 7 will respond to whatever is put before them. FC defenses, zones, different sets on O, run a play off the opening tap, side OB plays, you name it. No last second heartbreakers! We got this!

Reaction Score
You got some 'b***s' to say that MD. I can't agree more though... I thought he might have been able to pull out the ones we lost by the last second shots in the semis to ND and Miss State. We had some really good/great teams those years. I was hoping coaching would get us there.

But we still have 11 and hopefully one this year. But I think he needs to do get more out of certain players like AG, Liv and CW to get us there. If those three play well in their roles, we got a great chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01