Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
That game and our collapse against SH are what are keeping us from a potential #1 seed. The other losses are all very forgivable.
And even a 1 point road loss to a borderline tournament team in Seton Hall is forgivable

Reaction Score
19 fouls for each team…interesting how well we can do in a balanced game officiating wise. The impact on confidence in terms of taking it to the hoop, and what that does for the rest of the offense can’t be understated.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
19 fouls for each team…interesting how well we can do in a balanced game officiating wise. The impact on confidence in terms of taking it to the hoop, and what that does for the rest of the offense can’t be understated.

We’re still prone to getting whistled for nonsense. I would say there were four or five fouls that were fouls just for the sake of calling fouls. Generally, superior defensive players get some leeway with officials…..Jackson gets absolutely none.

Other than that….nothing really changed.

Newton and Hawkins are still the keys - they play well, we play well. And they both played really, really well.

Sanogo was hit or miss - some terrific passes, some amazingly soft moves and a couple of black hole moments in the first half. Clingan was the same…don’t think either one played great.

Karaban played well, Alleyne played well, California and Diarra were fine

Good - this is probably as close as they’ve looked to their PK form since mid-December. Good ball movement, hitting threes, Newton running the show, etc. 20 assists, huge rebounding edge. No one got a technical.

Bad - Turnovers. Refs still hate us. Struggled to defend their lil guards, Kolek and S. Jones.

Reaction Score
We’re still prone to getting whistled for nonsense. I would say there were four or five fouls that were fouls just for the sake of calling fouls. Generally, superior defensive players get some leeway with officials…..Jackson gets absolutely none.

Newton and Hawkins are still the keys - they play well, we play well. And they both played really, really well.

Sanogo was hit or miss - some terrific passes, some amazingly soft moves and a couple of black hole moments in the first half. Clingan was the same…don’t think either one played great.

Good - this is probably as close as they’ve looked to their PK form since mid-December. Good ball movement, hitting threes, Newton running the show, etc. 20 assists, huge rebounding edge. No one got a technical.

Bad - Turnovers. Refs still hate us. Struggled to defend their lil guards, Kolek and S. Jones.
No the refs do NOT “hate us.” That’s absurd: the refs don’t care who wins. Every losing team has huge numbers of fans who think the refs hate them… just how many teams can the refs hate?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We started winning since (among a few things) we stopped force-feeding the post up.
Yes. The offense doesn’t run through Sanogo anymore. That’s the biggest key for us right now.

That, and our defense played much better. We still have to figure out if we’re going to let Karaban and Hawkins go 1v1 in the post as every team has done that and will continue to do that

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
play got sloppy in the second half but we managed to continue to score which is a bright spot. The team played hard which allowed Hurley to not micromanage and get tense

Reaction Score
Oso/Omax/Kam J= 11 pts.. Tremendous D.. Andre did a really good job on controlling Kolek's ability to distribute like he normally does. For a change.. The offense showed up the same game the D played well.

Closing the game out wasn't text-book for 40 minutes but it certainly showed improvement.. Maybe 30-35 minutes.

Newton seems to have figured things out and anytime Alleyne can contribute like he did.. And we control the boards like we did.. We are a very tough team to beat..

Let's see if this confidence can "travel".. Creighton away game challenge next..

Reaction Score

FT shooting was bad too

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yeah agreed it’s forgivable in a nutshell, but we completely blew that game.
The past is a sign post, not a whipping post. It's a matter of will. Never again going forward. No quit.

Reaction Score
First half A+ all around.
D not so stout after halftime. Thought Marquette scored too easily in 2nd half, 43 points v 29 in first half. Our scoring covered that up but you can’t count on that all the time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Oso/Omax/Kam J= 11 pts.. Tremendous D.. Andre did a really good job on controlling Kolek's ability to distribute like he normally does. For a change.. The offense showed up the same game the D played well.
Closing the game out wasn't text-book for 40 minutes but it certainly showed improvement.. Maybe 30-35 minutes.

Newton seems to have figured things out and anytime Alleyne can contribute like he did.. And we control the boards like we did.. We are a very tough team to beat..

Let's see if this confidence can "travel".. Creighton away game challenge next..
Creighton is our litmus test

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This is actually quite scary. Marquette is one of the absolute best in the country at turning teams over, so maybe it’s a one off thing. But if it’s not corrected, it can be our undoing - and was in our losing stretch.

Quite frankly, the biggest difference between the 2 teams was 3-point shooting:

UConn - 12-23, 52%
Marquette - 5-21, 24%

It’s hard to maintain consistent 3-point shooting unless you have a lot of 3-point shooters, which we don’t. Tonight 11 of our 12 3’s were made by 3 guys, one of whom was Alleyne and he’s not normally in the picture. We outscored them by 21 on 3’s in a game which we won by 15 points. They made only five 3’s on which they shot just 24%.

On a more normal night n we don’t have such an enormous advantage in 3-point scoring, those turnovers would put us in serious trouble.

We must get the turnovers under control if we’re going to be successful the rest of the way.
21 offensive rebounds and 20 assists

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Game was awesome, team was awesome, coaches were awesome, crowd was awesome...

There can be no complaints about anything or anyone. People talking about some utopia or perfection just don't understand competition

This team is special, there was never any doubt. Enjoy the ride, despite the bumps, that's life

Reaction Score
Weird stat of the game for me, UConn had twice as many TO’s (16-8) but 2 more points of TO’s (16-14).

TOs were just about the only negative last night. Especially if you consider the burned TOs when caught in traps. We likely hold the #4 offense in the country under 70 points if we break the press s little better. I'm sure we'll work on it in practice tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Great game and awesome win. Flipping around to different games last night, UConn received several mentions during play and halftime shows about our potential to go deep in March. Good to see.

As I heard or read somewhere, some times you are the dog and some times you are the fire hydrant, we were not the fire hydrant last night.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the biggest difference between the 2 teams was 3-point shooting:

UConn - 12-23, 52%
Marquette - 5-21, 24%
True, a great shooting night can offset a lot of poor play in other areas. Although we played great in this game, which accounts for the MOV.

19 fouls for each team…interesting how well we can do in a balanced game officiating wise

We’re still prone to getting whistled for nonsense.
The officiating was/remain horrible and there is not much that can be done about it. Unfortunately, bad calls and especially non-calls, favor teams like Marquette that press and like to create havoc on the court. In the midst of the havoc turnovers happen, and teams get out of rhythm. UConn was complicit in not handling the ball, and the pressure, a bit better (actually did quite well considering.) Fortunately, as pointed out above, we hit our shots. Great shooting can overcome a lot of things. UConn needs to work on playing through pressure and physicality. If it does, it can go far.

Reaction Score
Welcome back, November/December Huskies. Hope you're here to stay.

What an outstanding game they played tonight. Kept their foot on the gas pedal once they got up around 20 and Marquette could never make a serious dent in the lead all 2nd half. Props all around.
I think the closest Marquette got, In second half , was 14 points.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Great game and awesome win. Flipping around to different games last night, UConn received several mentions during play and halftime shows about our potential to go deep in March. Good to see.

As I heard or read somewhere, some times you are the dog and some times you are the fire hydrant, we were not the fire hydrant last night.

Not that I'm the biggest fan of ESPN, but it's nice to see the exposure: I watched the game on tape delay and afterwards flipped over to ESPN to catch a few minutes of whatever game was on. On the bottom line they put out "The Lead" which I would imagine is the top story or stories of the night. Our win over Marquette was the lead story.

With how well we played to start off the year it won't take much for us to be a big story again. Win on Saturday and everyone will start naming us as a Final Four team again.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
What a team effort loved the rotations Hurley used except for when he had Diarra and Jackson on the floor together. They are both great on ball defenders but with them both in the game the offense struggles. He should stay away from having them both on the floor together. I know I am nitpicking but with the way the team played makes Saturday seem like a month from now.

Reaction Score
The officiating was/remain horrible and there is not much that can be done about it. Unfortunately, bad calls and especially non-calls, favor teams like Marquette that press and like to create havoc on the court.

UConn fouls more than almost every team in D1 basketball. I think our FT defense ranking is like 340. No-calls HELP us. Games where they call ticky tack stuff (especially on the perimeter) are what kills us.

caw

Reaction Score
It appeared they did a better job of bodying as opposed to reaching this game. If we are being honest UConn had reached a lot in previous games. Again, the problem is other teams do also and don't get called for it against UConn. I can't remember the last time a defensive player was called for reaching in on a UConn guard on the perimeter. Our guards though...

Reaction Score
Clingan goes unmentioned but was productive. 7 offensive rebounds and 1 defensive rebound in just 10 min. Drew fouls, and got to the line where he needs to improve and I know he will. Drawing fouls on an opponent can be big. That is an undervalued benefit of getting him early minutes in a game and putting opponents on the bench.

This team should be able to rely on either Alleyne or Joey hitting shots. Having 1 or both offensively productive puts us in a great place. Love to see this continue.

If I only saw we lost turnovers 17 to 8, and, missed FTs 13 of 22 including missing the front end of 1&1, I would never guess a virtual 20 point win over a top 10 team. 48 to 24 RB, assists from great ball movement, and 50% from 3, is the other side of the story.

What we didn't do was very important. Jackson wasn't baited into volume shooting. Diarra took an open 3 early in a shot clock, but otherwise wasn't pretending to be a shooter. Sanogo for the most part wasn't force fed on every possession.

I just wish Clingan was allowed to play more of his minutes with Newton on the floor and 2 shooters. With Diarra, Alleyne as the backcourt, it seems we make it harder on ourselves. I don't think Sanogo plays much with Diarra and Alleyne as the guard tandom. Those guys should be integrated into lineups rather than being the lineup IMO.

Alex really stepped up defensively 1 vs 1 and forced the ball out of his opponent's hands. It wasn't Freemantle or Hopkins but it was great to see. He is just a clinic on letting the game come to him. He sets pick after pick, plays passing lanes... Fouling a 3 point shot just shows it can happen to anybody. (Hate stepping out of bounds even if its Alex)

Reaction Score
I just wish Clingan was allowed to play more of his minutes with Newton on the floor and 2 shooters. With Diarra, Alleyne as the backcourt, it seems we make it harder on ourselves. I don't think Sanogo plays much with Diarra and Alleyne as the guard tandom. Those guys should be integrated into lineups rather than being the lineup IMO.
Sanogo has played 167 possessions with Diarra/Alleyne and Clingan has played 178 so overall not too different. Of course Sanogo has played a lot more overall, so that's only 15% of his possessions but 37% for Clingan.

Agreed that I'd like to see more of Newton and Clingan together, although I was surprised it's happened a decent amount already. 295 possessions with Diarra/Clingan and 223 for Newton/Clingan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom