Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
What we didn't do was very important. Jackson wasn't baited into volume shooting. Diarra took an open 3 early in a shot clock, but otherwise wasn't pretending to be a shooter. Sanogo for the most part wasn't force fed on every possession.

This. When we play to our strengths and keep the ball moving fast, we are a top-10 team. When we force-feed and take bad shots... we are not good.

Reaction Score
Clingan did his rebounding and foul drawing thing, but he did get burned by their backuo center Gold in first half. It's really tough for him to cover the space to the perimeter and/or to change directions if the guy attacks his closeout.

Reaction Score
Clingan did his rebounding and foul drawing thing, but he did get burned by their backuo center Gold in first half. It's really tough for him to cover the space to the perimeter and/or to change directions if the guy attacks his closeout.
He also missed like 3 or 4 bunnies and didn’t shoot well from the line. Not his best game

Reaction Score

The funny thing is Gold was shooting 8-30 from 3 prior to tonight. We WANTED him to take those 3s. He just happened to decide to go 2-3 last night.

Reaction Score
Mrs. Dove: " Who's that kid in the striped shirt?"

Dove: "lol...that's the other team's coach!!
I was saying during the game that back when he had a shaved head he looked like an adult, but now the hair or haircut makes him look like a little kid.

Reaction Score
UConn fouls more than almost every team in D1 basketball. I think our FT defense ranking is like 340. No-calls HELP us. Games where they call ticky tack stuff (especially on the perimeter) are what kills us.
Saying that UConn fouls also does not prove anything. We do, of course, both when we win and when we lose. The officiating is bad for both teams, but does not favor UConn. Shaka smart explains this well in my post here. Just because the officiating is consistently bad is not acceptable.

Disagree. No-calls are what cause turnovers and bad shooting percentages. It is also a reason why simply driving to the basket does not necessarily translate into FTA. While ticky-tack fouls would impact us, calling it on the opposition would, in many cases, hurt them a lot more. Physicality has always been part of the game. It has become a problem now that it has become a strategy, IMO. It is ugly basketball. You may like it, I don't. Having said all that, it is not going to change, and the team must adapt to it.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Saying that UConn fouls also does not prove anything. We do, of course, both when we win and when we lose. The officiating is bad for both teams, but does not favor UConn. Shaka smart explains this well in my post here. Just because the officiating is consistently bad is not acceptable.

No-calls are what cause turnovers and bad shooting percentages. It is also a reason why simply driving to the basket does not necessarily translate into FTA. While ticky-tack fouls would impact us, calling it on the opposition would, in many cases, hurt them a lot more. Physicality has always been part of the game. It has become a problem now that it has become a strategy, IMO. It is ugly basketball. You may like it, I don't. Having said all that, it is not going to change, and the team must adapt to it.

You're writing a lot of words, but I don't think that makes you right. UConn fouls a lot. When refs swallow the whistle as a whole, that's good for us. It's pretty much that simple.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
To pile on, great game! Back to form and some great plays and only a handful of bad ones IMO. Newton has another triple double and against a quality opponent this time too. In game coaching was pretty strong too - although why didn't they call for TO when Diarra was trapped?

I know a few of us have asked but haven't found the data - anyone know what Clingan's FT% was in HS? Right now his poor percentage isn't critical but next year it will be more important as he becomes the primary center and his minutes jump up. His form looks good to me so I'd think he can get a lot closer to 70 than 50 with work.

Let's keep this rolling and close out the season strong! I liked the interview with Hurley (I think it was the pre-game presser) where he said the way our schedule is makes us feel like the slump was a disaster but as he pointed out and other posters have - few teams go without losses and if we just looked at the total W/L column we probably wouldn't have been too upset. Just hurts when they are clustered together and 1 or 2 of them feel like losses we shouldn't have taken.

Reaction Score
You're writing a lot of words, but I don't think that makes you right. UConn fouls a lot. When refs swallow the whistle as a whole, that's good for us. It's pretty much that simple.
If you say so. I never said UConn does not foul. They do. And often, a lot! They should be called for it. I think I am in the minority. But that's ok. BTW, how do you translate Shaka's comments?

Reaction Score
I'm assuming you mean what you quotes in your other post. This is Shaka's full quote:

“It’s really, really challenging in that there’s a lot of physicality out there. And I think they do a good job of letting teams play. From our standpoint, we’re not going to win a Mr. Universe contest against UConn, alright? They go out there and demonstrate their physiques that they have, they’re probably going to beat us in that. So I think the physicality and aggressiveness affected Oso.”

I don't think there's any hidden meaning here that needs to be translated. Shaka isn't one to play games--if it comes out of his mouth, it's just about exactly what he means.

Shaka is saying that the Big East referees let teams play physically. That is a challenge and is advantageous when UConn is a bigger and stronger team than Marquette. This affected Oso tonight, who was muscled throughout the game.

UConn would not be at such an advantage because of size/physicality in a league like the Pac-12 where freedom of movement seems to be more of a priority.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oso/Omax/Kam J= 11 pts.. Tremendous D.. Andre did a really good job on controlling Kolek's ability to distribute like he normally does. For a change.. The offense showed up the same game the D played well.

Creighton is our litmus test
In the alternative, it's too late in the season for litmus tests.

Every game counts big.

There is always work to do.

All games will reveal what has been addressed (subject to change), and what remains to be addressed, and what might show up anew. Nothing is dispositive as things move toward 2 single elimination tournaments.

Support this team in preparing for, focusing on, and executing to the best of its ability one game at a time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
To me, it's a question of getting things into proper proportion after the Big East Tournament.

We won't win 6 games in a row as bully ballers. Nobody from the Big East will.

But it's very important that the team be battle-tested against physical teams.

Reaction Score
Yup and Butler just beat them. That loss to St. John’s is like a pebble in my shoe that I can’t get rid of.

Worst game we played all season by far. We were abysmal that afternoon and made the Johnnies look like conference title contenders.

Reaction Score
Yes, Gold had made a couple of threes, and then when Clingan went out to defend the three, he blew right past him and dunked. I turned to my son and said "There are a lot of coaches that are going to be making notes at that point in the film". I think we'll be seeing that again in the future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He also missed like 3 or 4 bunnies and didn’t shoot well from the line. Not his best game

6 of the 9 members of the regular rotation are shooting 42.1% from the field or worse, and you are mad at the guy shooting 68.4% because he is not shooting well enough?

Reaction Score
The ball movement was easily the best part of the game, hence the assists; although making 50% of threes will help those numbers lol. We saw passes from Adama tonight we haven’t seen his entire career. We haven’t seen hall movement like last night since we were brutalizing everyone before conference play started.

The defense was similarly intense but more disciplined.

Not sure exactly to what degree DH gets credit but we really needed this ranked win and it was, besides the ongoing issue with turnovers, a beautiful game to watch.

Newton really is the key to everything. He is The One.

Reaction Score
Because there has been next to nothing said about Adama Sanogo post game in this or any thread …

Adama was the games second leading scorer last night in a game UConn dominated and most everyone played well. He had 18 points to Hawkins’ 20. He missed two or three shots he normally makes but he still shot better than 50 percent from the floor. His three from the top of the of the key looked good until it rattled out.

His passing was great including a highlight bounce pass in the lane for one of his three assists. He had been criticized for his inability to pass but has turned that into a strength midseason. He finished with three assists. He also effectively helped break the press.

He also had 7 rebounds including three on the offensive glass and a steal.

He leads the team in rebounds and continues to lead the team AND THE CONFERENCE in scoring and is among the conference leaders in rebounds and field goal percentage.

Anyway, good game Adama.

Reaction Score
6 of the 9 members of the regular rotation are shooting 42.1% from the field or worse, and you are mad at the guy shooting 68.4% because he is not shooting well enough?
Never said I was mad, never compared him to anyone else. You have a consistent habit of putting emotions/words in other people’s mouths. You should work on that probably.

Reaction Score
Because there has been next to nothing said about Adama Sanogo post game in this or any thread …

Adama was the games second leading scorer last night in a game UConn dominated and most everyone played well. He had 18 points to Hawkins’ 20. He missed two or three shots he normally makes but he still shot better than 50 percent from the floor. His three from the top of the of the key looked good until it rattled out.

His passing was great including a highlight bounce pass in the lane for one of his three assists. He had been criticized for his inability to pass but has turned that into a strength midseason. He finished with three assists. He also effectively helped break the press.

He also had 7 rebounds including three on the offensive glass and a steal.

He leads the team in rebounds and continues to lead the team AND THE CONFERENCE in scoring and is among the conference leaders in rebounds and field goal percentage.

Anyway, good game Adama.
In regards to the passing, last night was easily the best game I have seen for his passing (and the whole team overall). I am not ready to say it is a strength of his but if it continues we will be hard to beat.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Other than easing off the gas at the end of each half, there is little to critique. Even in 2nd, they did a good job of just trading buckets and not letting them go on a big run. Hurley’s TO after a 5-0 run was spot on.

We can and should beat anyone. It's all about how we play and little to do with how the opponent plays. First time we can say that in a very long time.

Reaction Score
Our offense kept saying yes.

Our defense kept saying no!

Great game.
I do think our guys with a lead and the officials calling it tight just let them score once they got it into the paint.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify my earlier posts on the subject; there are typically two type of whistles. 1) infractions resulting in a foul (a push, a grab, hit on the arms, etc), and 2) infractions that result in a turnover (step out of bounds, 3 second call, moving screen, drag a pivot foot, etc.). I want to see officials adopt a "tight whistle" on type 1 infractions, and a "let them play" whistle (non-whistle) on type 2 infractions. With consistency being an obvious common denominator. Why? Because, unless it is obvious, the refs would need to run around with rulers and stopwatches to get the type 2 infractions right. Furthermore, type 1 infractions often cause a type 2 infraction. For example, a player gets the ball underneath the basket and gets bumped out of bounds, is it a foul or a turnover for stepping out of bounds? Because 1 can cause the other, type 1 infractions should have priority and be called "tight". IMHO. BTW, this is how they call it in the NBA and while not perfect, I prefer that.

Reaction Score
I was saying during the game that back when he had a shaved head he looked like an adult, but now the hair or haircut makes him look like a little kid.
That, and the fact that he wears garanimals…

Reaction Score
Marquette started with Kolek sagging off Jackson and he did a great job of screening and cutting. It was a lot of off the ball stuff but it helped a ton. That and his defense was superb. Missed his one three but it was end of shot clock and in the offense, not a stepback. Overall this is how Jackson needs to play. I think he's got it now.
85% agree. I’d like to see him take care of the ball a little better and just play a touch more in control defensively. Love his defense recently but he still fouled out in 23 minutes and we’re gonna need more than that out of him coming down the stretch. Exciting to see us beat down a top 10 team when we can still play so much better IMO.

Reaction Score

Gold plays 7.5 minutes a night and typically doesn’t play well when he does get on the floor, but if freshman backup center Ben Gold is the guy that kills us, let it be.

Clingan did make an adjustment after a few buckets. He still played drop coverage but didn’t drop as far and made it back out to the perimeter when the pass came. Not sure if that was him adjusting himself or Hurley telling him to stop dropping so low, but it worked. Gold had one spurt and that was it

Definitely a fluke game for Gold, but Marquette fans should be intrigued that they could have a stretch 5 on their hands for 4 years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom