Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread

Reaction Score
This is about what I expected from this team but it's still really annoying. Hawkins being significantly worse than expected is a big let down too. Kid really doesn't do anything well against decent defensive teams

Reaction Score
Played tough tonight….Marquette just made more plays….They lost 3 road games to top 25 teams….as has been stated, the tough road stretch is over the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
How about judging them how they performed to date?
Losing 3 tough road games to 3 top 25 teams. Wish they won but I'll judge them by how they respond to this adversity. Remember 2011 went 9-9 in the Big East. This isn't the same BE but it's still a damn tough league

Reaction Score
This one stings. Probably because it's our 3rd straight BE road loss. More just frustrated in how poorly they played most of the night.

Gotta learn how to beat good teams on the road if we want this team to be as good as we hoped/thought they were when they were as high as #2. Clingan had a huge game tonight, some other players had their moments (especially during that huge run in the 1st half) but for the most part the rest of the game they couldn't do much right on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
20/10/5 for Clingan. 17/7 for Karaban. No one showed up to play except our freshmen. Zero excuses in a critical game… now 3.5 games out of first place. Our defense stunk. Another recent opponent who finished shooting 50%. Our 3pt prowess is now officially dead.

Up 11 in first half with Clingan on the floor. Sub in Sanogo and the other zero-energy starters and that momentum disappears. Hurley’s late game matchup zone was lipstick on a pig. But I don’t blame him. This one’s on our big 3.

Reaction Score
4-3 in league play is not ideal. I’m usually on Hurley, but our guards just aren’t very good. I think the cumulative +/- for our starters was -40?

Hey at least no one is getting drafted. Maybe we can portal for a point guard next year.
100%. We don’t have a guard that can finish. When the defense runs out at our guards, there’s no fear in any of them going to the hoop. Our guards shoot or pass, lack the handle and the ability to go inside or feast from the stripe.

Reaction Score
Score was 20-15 Marquette and then we went up by 9 with Clingan in, so a 14 point swing. Adama comes back in and they cough up 7 right away. Clingan should have played 30 minutes tonight, Hurley even said at halftime they couldn’t match up with him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I feel like having at least one point guard on the roster would have been a good idea.

Defense is not very good. Offense is just sketchy.

We don’t have a great player on the roster who can take over a game. If anyone expect that to be Hawkins, lord, no. He’s just a good shooting guard - nothing more.

Reaction Score
I have concerns, but we played the 4 other best teams in conference all in a row, 3 of them on the road. We should be 7-3 in the conference after the next 3.
Now the home games are must wins. Ya’ll can say it was cause they were home I’m not so sure. We shall see if we can beat what will probably be a top 10 Xavier, and top 15 Providence at home.

Reaction Score
Some of y’all haven’t been through the gamut of a competitive Big East and it shows.
I know the Big East is tough. It doesn't excuse the complete lack of in-game changes that Hurley refused to make. Marquette on a big run to come back? Maybe we should change something? Dan's like nah, I decided five minutes ago that these five guys would be playing the next seven minutes, so they are going to play the next seven minutes. It's just awful coaching.

Reaction Score
Better coach wins. Dan was in a deep sleep during the runs and refused to make any changes through the various Marquette runs. It took him 30 minutes to realize that Clingan is simply a better matchup against Marquette than Sanogo.
Better coach wins. Dan was in a deep sleep during the runs and refused to make any changes through the various Marquette runs. It took him 30 minutes to realize that Clingan is simply a better matchup against Marquette than Sanogo.
Stop blaming Hurley on his in game coaching for this loss. We can nitpick every decision until we are blue in the face. Maybe we just don’t have the guard play that it takes to win consistently game after game in this league. Nothing tonight from Newton, Hawkins or Diarra.

Reaction Score
20/10/5 for Clingan. 17/7 for Karaban. No one showed up to play except our freshmen. Zero excuses in a critical game… now 3.5 games out of first place. Our defense stunk. Another recent opponent who finished shooting 50%. Our 3pt prowess is now officially dead.

Up 11 in first half with Clingan on the floor. Sub in Sanogo and the other zero-energy starters and that momentum disappears. Hurley’s late game matchup zone was lipstick on a pig. But I don’t blame him. This one’s on our big 3.
The zone was the only way to keep Clingan on the floor. They hit tough 3s.

Not blaming the zebras much in this one, but that “foul” against Jackson was a huge momentum stopper

Reaction Score
Just crazy…

DC085CDB-8AD9-490A-A6DC-EE76DAFA23E8.jpeg

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We were up 11 with Clingan and Marquette when on huge run as soon as DH went back to Sanogo. I think Sanogo had four TOs on the next six possessions after he went back in.
Teams are not afraid of our starting lineup. Both offensively and defensively. They’ve become horrendous

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm going to stick with the positive here: we have a GREAT future in Karaban and Clingan. Another off-season of conditioning and skill work is going to take these guys to all-big east level performance next year.
But we will still have the same coach at game time. He’s has to get better. Hope he does. He does everything else well. He spit the bit tonight and handed Marquette the game. You could’ve handled rotations better tonight. I am being sincere.

Reaction Score
I am in pretty deep denial that we lost this game. This should have been a 10 point win. We had every opportunity to open this game up and we didn’t. We outrebounded them. They (finally!) had more fouls than us!

Take a look at our starters +/- tonight and how long they stayed in.

I think we need to talk about Dan, our “savior”. Yep, he can recruit (for now), yep, he can put them through tough practices. We certainly know he can yell and make faces when he’s mad.
But man - he goes into a game with a plan and he does not stray from it. Or he holds onto it WAYYY too long after it’s way too late. He’s indecisive. And it rubs off on the players.

If Clingan came in before the 12 min mark, this game would have had a much different outcome. The man could not be stopped tonight. Why did it take so long for Danny to realize this after watching him dominate all 1st half?

So here we are….3 losses….something many of us would take….but we can’t beat the good Big East teams. We’ve seemed to completed lost our defensive identity at the beginning of the year.

People should be angry. And people should seriously question.

We got a recruiter (for now). But do we have a coach?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom