Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
All this talk about poor guard play, etc. What about playing that Greek kid? He seems to have talent from what we heard before. Why not ?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All this talk about poor guard play, etc. What about playing that Greek kid? He seems to have talent from what we heard before. Why not ?
It’s not bad guard play on defense. It’s a bad scheme. On offense, I think they just don’t know what to do when shots don’t fall. Andre is supposed to be a leader and that’s the leader role. Karaban had the right idea. I have no idea why Alleyne isn’t attacking the basket, he did at VT.

Reaction Score
It’s not bad guard play on defense. It’s a bad scheme. On offense, I think they just don’t know what to do when shots don’t fall. Andre is supposed to be a leader and that’s the leader role. Karaban had the right idea. I have no idea why Alleyne isn’t attacking the basket, he did at VT.

Seriously - Alleyne should be able to get underneath and draw fouls constantly.

Reaction Score
That was never really part of Alleyne's game, he's actually taking a higher % of his shots st the rim at UConn than he did in any season at Virginia Tech. 18%, 11%, 12% of his shots st the rim the 3 years at Virginia Tech, and is at 19% this year so far

Reaction Score
Sanogo is gone whether or not he gets drafted... and should be. It's time for him to make money.
His stock is falling, though. I wonder if he is injured because they player we thought we knew for the first 14 games has disappeared way too often in the last 4. You see spurts, he looks slow, is frustrated by collapsing D, is out position on the boards and not quick on help.
When your best players disappear from the radar on the road, you have to question the toughness of this team.
reflection on leadership. Team is clearly mentally fragile. You can see the panic start seeping in in the final 8 minutes… bad passes, players picking up their dribbles, bad shot selection.

Reaction Score
Bouknight’s banker thinks he made right decision.
Want to keep this about the game but did you miss the Charlotte news from a few months ago - like 6 traffic citations for 125 in 50 mph zone, gun, dui etc. Chief cares more about his life than his rookie contract money, which may be evaporating at a record rate with his live in posse. As he plays in the G League with prospects for a second contract dimming. It takes longer to built a strong foundation but it would have likely paid off long term. What about the last two years has been good for James?

Reaction Score
Lots of areas this coaching staff must fix or we will not go very far in upcoming tournaments.
To name a few woeful deficiencies:
1. Inability to consistently attack the basket and score; we relay heavily on outside shooting.
Conversely our guards inability to prevent our opponent from making consistent successful drives to basket.
2. Take advantage of easy baskets, both on drives and putback’s, stop missing bunnies.
3. Coaching staff knows who our best scorers are. devise a scheme to have all on floor for periods of time to hopefully build us a nice lead.
Maybe use different defenses during games, that might confuse opponents.
Are we becoming too predictable?
Same holds true offensively, too predictable?
I make no suggestions as to how to correct deficiencies because that is what we pay the coaches big bucks to do.
Only pointing out obvious flaws in our current play that if not corrected will limit our team’s chances to go far into forthcoming tournaments.
Ciao

Reaction Score
I’ve been beating this drum since our first loss, so someone please check tape and show me I’m wrong. Xavier sometimes ran two man screens.
  • Hurley has long said he hates giving up 3s. He’s shown it here and it goes back to URI. Coaches know it and exploit it.
  • in each of our losses (and some close wins) the opponent runs their guards and wings around screens, not to get shots, but because we always chase over the screen to prevent the 3. Never go under to cut off penetration. Don’t switch either.
  • Since the rim protector, except Clingan, is charged with being out on the screener, we have an attacking guard/wing with a trailing defender and no post presence. This is why the D looks better with Clingan.
  • People think Jackson, Newton, Alleyne and Hawkins suddenly can’t defend? They are being rubbed out on screens and our team defense has a gaping hole. They aren’t being beaten one on one. Nor is Sanogo supposed to cover the paint when he’s outside.
  • We went zone to stop it, but the right answer is to leave the 5 in drop and either come under screens or switch. I had hoped with these big guards we could switch because nothing eliminates a screen game more effectively. But Hurley isn’t doing it.
  • It’s a blueprint to beat UConn until we adjust. So much of our offense comes from defense that it’s hurting us on both ends.
You nailed it, we go over the screens to prevent threes leaving an open path by the ball guy or a screener to the basket.
One reason Donovan is more effective than Adama defensively is Donovan seems to be the only guy exempt from that high hedge responsibility. Adama should be too.

Reaction Score
I’ve been beating this drum since our first loss, so someone please check tape and show me I’m wrong. Xavier sometimes ran two man screens.
  • Hurley has long said he hates giving up 3s. He’s shown it here and it goes back to URI. Coaches know it and exploit it.
  • in each of our losses (and some close wins) the opponent runs their guards and wings around screens, not to get shots, but because we always chase over the screen to prevent the 3. Never go under to cut off penetration. Don’t switch either.
  • Since the rim protector, except Clingan, is charged with being out on the screener, we have an attacking guard/wing with a trailing defender and no post presence. This is why the D looks better with Clingan.
  • People think Jackson, Newton, Alleyne and Hawkins suddenly can’t defend? They are being rubbed out on screens and our team defense has a gaping hole. They aren’t being beaten one on one. Nor is Sanogo supposed to cover the paint when he’s outside.
  • We went zone to stop it, but the right answer is to leave the 5 in drop and either come under screens or switch. I had hoped with these big guards we could switch because nothing eliminates a screen game more effectively. But Hurley isn’t doing it.
  • It’s a blueprint to beat UConn until we adjust. So much of our offense comes from defense that it’s hurting us on both ends.
Exactly. Gotta redo scheme defensively. Clingan is in a drop and it works well. I worry about sanogo in the drop…why not just blitz the guy off a pick?. I would rather do that or switch. No more hedging. It is getting the defense out of position and sanogo isn’t defending the rim.

Also, don’t give up the 3. You can’t win if you give up the 3 and they make even an average amount. Shot is too easy for the extra point.

Reaction Score
Adama was in drop coverage for much of the game, too. He's just not tall enough or long enough to do it very well against teams that can finish (and Marquette is one of the best finishing teams in the country). They were finishing over him consistently.

Reaction Score
It’s starting to seem like we’re a 10-15 ranked team that got hot early

We have 3 of our 4 hardest conference games out of the way. Win out vs. Butler, GTown, Nova, SJU, DePaul, Seton Hall. That’s 24 wins.

Split the other four games 2-2 at home and our minimum target should 26 wins. I don’t think that’s first round upset territory. But we shouldn’t really be thinking March yet. Take it a game at a time
If you read my post as it relates to win total, you missed the mark.

What I said is that tourney time, the most transferable strength is great guard play. Also coincidentally our greatest weakness. We don’t have that guy to give the ball to in space to make a bucket when needed. Not saying we’ll be upset week 1. But teams without a ball dominant go to scorer are the teams susceptible to upsets come March

Reaction Score
Seems like running so much off-ball stuff isn't really working on offense since we still can't really get Hawkins open looks. I'd really like to see some more pick and roll to try to get us going downhill. We had a bit of success using it with Clingan in there, and it's pretty obvious that we're not getting the best out of our guards right now.

Reaction Score
Lots of areas this coaching staff must fix or we will not go very far in upcoming tournaments.
To name a few woeful deficiencies:
1. Inability to consistently attack the basket and score; we relay heavily on outside shooting.
Conversely our guards inability to prevent our opponent from making consistent successful drives to basket.
2. Take advantage of easy baskets, both on drives and putback’s, stop missing bunnies.
3. Coaching staff knows who our best scorers are. devise a scheme to have all on floor for periods of time to hopefully build us a nice lead.
Maybe use different defenses during games, that might confuse opponents.
Are we becoming too predictable?
Same holds true offensively, too predictable?
I make no suggestions as to how to correct deficiencies because that is what we pay the coaches big bucks to do.
Only pointing out obvious flaws in our current play that if not corrected will limit our team’s chances to go far into forthcoming tournaments.
Ciao

Sanogo is obviously great at attacking the basket. I know he’s not a guard, but they should be able to,devise a scheme such that when the ball goes into him and he gets the inevitable double & triple teams, he should be able to pass out of it and they should be able to find the open man on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the year it seemed like Hawkins and Calcaterra where in constant motion circling the floor running through double screens to get open shots. Lately it seems like they just sit motionless on one side of the floor waiting for ball.

Reaction Score
There seems to be a pattern to our seasons under Hurley. Play our best ball at the start of the season getting our biggest win(s) of the season. Get smacked in the mouth when we hit conference play, especially on the road. Regain our footing and start looking really good again at the end of the regular season and then flame out in postseason tournaments. I hope to hell it doesn't happen again but I fear it will. We need to win a couple NCAA tournament games this season.
Interesting take. Unfortunately, some people are talking as if we’ll automatically make it to the sweet 16… that is the bare minimum to make up for the last two years in my view.

Reaction Score
I'm going to stick with the positive here: we have a GREAT future in Karaban and Clingan. Another off-season of conditioning and skill work is going to take these guys to all-big east level performance next year.
Clingan and Karaban were fantastic. Have we ever had two freshman play like that against a top 25 team on the road?

Reaction Score
This team was strong down the stretch to start the year and has been laying an egg in the last few minutes the last few games.

Hurley has also been more animated the last few games. Is the board going to kill me if I hypothesize that maybe the team is getting sucked down by his energy in crunch time? He panics, we panic. Needs to keep composure better even when things aren't going well
Someone posted the 2011 title run video recently and there was a lot of talk about how much fun they had together, which jumped out in a way…

these guys seem to be playing tight by comparison. Yet, they seemed to be rolling in the early season, having a better time.

Reaction Score
Someone posted the 2011 title run video recently and there was a lot of talk about how much fun they had together, which jumped out in a way…

these guys seem to be playing tight by comparison. Yet, they seemed to be rolling in the early season, having a better time.
Winning is fun.

Reaction Score
Since it has been mentioned a few times about UConn's losing streak against ranked road teams, I decided to research it. Now keep in mind UConn has beaten ranked teams at neutral sites, as recently as this season. Also keep in mind that some teams are ranked when you play them and are not ranked at the end of the season, and vice versa. But still. Here are all the results of when UConn played a road game against a ranked-at-the-time team during this losing streak:

Last win: Jan 16, 2014 @ #17 Memphis
Feb 6, 2014: L @ #7 Cincinnati 63-58
Mar 8, 2014: L @ #11 Louisville 81-48
Feb 14, 2015: L @ #25 SMU 73-55
Mar 3, 2016: L @ #24 SMU 80-54
Feb 4, 2017: L @ #14 Cincinnati 82-68
Dec 21, 2017: L @ #18 Arizona 73-58
Feb 10, 2018: L @ #22 Wichita State 95-74
Feb 22, 2018: L @ #11 Cincinnati 77-52
Mar 4, 2018: L @ #25 Houston 81-71
Those 9 losses all were on Ollie. On to Hurley.
(note that the AAC was so bad that UConn played no road games against ranked teams in the 2018-19 season)
Jan 18, 2020: L @ #14 Nova 61-55
Jan 23, 2020: L @ #25 Houston 63-59
Jan 23, 2021: L @ #11 Creighton 74-66
Feb 20, 2021: L @ #10 Nova 68-60
Jan 8, 2022: L @ #24 Seton Hall 90-87 in 2OT
Feb 5, 2022: L @ #12 Nova 85-74
Feb 11, 2022: L @ #25 Xavier 74-68
Dec 31, 2022: L @ #22 Xavier 83-73
Jan 11, 2023: L @ #25 Marquette 82-76
Those 9 losses are on Hurley. So that is 18 straight losses. Haven't beaten a ranked team on the road since Jan 16, 2014. Just about 9 years ago.

Reaction Score
The 2011 season looked like a total team meltdown when they went 9-9 in conference play with some ugly losses down the stretch .. and then seemingly out of nowhere the impossible happened and they caught fire in BE tournament with some close wins and they metamorphosis into a completely different team.

Orc

Reaction Score
This guard play will lead to a 2nd round exit. There's no getting around it.
Im concerned well make it even past the first round with disappearing acts Sanogo amd hawkins routinely pulls

Orc

Reaction Score
He literally sat the BE preseason poy in the second half for a freshman calm down. I get frustrated with his lack of adjustments but he made it this game we just couldn’t overcome our lack of guard production.
Sanogo continues his trend of dominating one game and stinking up the next 2 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom