Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread

Reaction Score
Not being able to get downhill is our downfall when we are hitting 3s from everywhere. Teams aren’t going to let Hawkins get open looks we need to run plays to get down hill.
downhill - is your post about skiing? Basketball courts do not have an uphill or downhill (except the one in the park when I was growing up - one end had settled and there was a noticeable difference)

Reaction Score
Clingan is nowhere close to ready for 30 minutes. He was clearly the best player on the court but he needs those quick breaks so that he continues to look that way
Clingan is 18, he can play a spaced out 30 minutes of basketball with rests, time outs, halftime and substitutions in a 40 minute game. It’s 30 minutes twice a week plus practice, CMon.

Reaction Score
We should have had an idea on how we would perform against the Big East with our performance against Georgetown. Yeah...We won the game, but it was nailbiter until the end. We looked so good with the double digit wins early on and most over 20 points and the pundits were saying final four that we swallowed wholeheartedly.

The Big East is a different animal and knows how to play us. We are no surprise here. Number 4 in the Big East is starting to look like the correct placing. We have two freshman studs in Clingan and Karaban that we can build around but like so many have said, we need an actual point guard.

I am not really too upset about this loss, but it was a crap show in the 2nd half and you could call out DH for some poor decisions in Sanogos use. I am hopeful by March all this will be resolved one way or another.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Stop blaming Hurley on his in game coaching for this loss. We can nitpick every decision until we are blue in the face. Maybe we just don’t have the guard play that it takes to win consistently game after game in this league. Nothing tonight from Newton, Hawkins or Diarra.
Did not Hurley "crown" Jackson as PG at the end of last season when he met with Sanogo, Hawkins and Andre? That had been his plan until he discovered that AJ would be ineffective at driving to the rim. Not blaming AJ at all. He never generated anything that resembled a PG except in transition which he is very good at. I think Hurley just hoped he could round into that and it now appears that after working his a__ off all summer he cannot do so at this level, at least thus far. AJ is a very valuable player on this team and has the most heart but not as a traditional PG. Again, not his fault.

So Hurley's main criticism to me was his wishful thinking that he could make Jackson an all around point guard over the summer. He gambled on that and now has too few options at this point. Joey C and even Tristan are string beans and get hammered going to the hole. Perhaps Alleyne can be worked into the lineup to try and establish this going forward. BTW, the announcers remarked that the PG for Marquette spent the pregame time bouncing shots off the backboard. He was able to drive to the hole against Clingan because he stayed far enough away to make those longer bank shots. Reminded me of Jalen Adams who was able to avoid contact much of the time when driving.

I've noticed that the much heralded prototypical 4 out 1 in offense is not what I am seeing for Uconn because it presupposed guys who can not only shoot from 3 pt land but also drive to the hoop. Fortunately the NCAA is played on neutral courts but there is a lot of tape out there now about how to play us and we had better get it fixed before then.

Reaction Score
His name is Stephon Castle
fight-club-his-name-is-robert-paulson.gif

Reaction Score
This is 100% right and something the people that hate the high hedge don't seem to get. We're going to give up a ton of points and fouls at the rim if we stop doing the high hedge, or if we start going under screens we're going to give up wide open 3s.
A couple of Marquette's backbreaker 3's last night were when our defender tried to go under a screen & got stuck, leaving a wide open look.

Reaction Score
downhill - is your post about skiing? Basketball courts do not have an uphill or downhill (except the one in the park when I was growing up - one end had settled and there was a noticeable difference)
Context matters and we're not on the slopes. I'm assuming OP meant getting "downhill" as in getting towards the rim w/ the defense on their heels/off balance. It's like saying running "north/south instead of east/west" in football isn't literally speaking about directions on a compass.

Reaction Score
A couple of Marquette's backbreaker 3's last night were when our defender tried to go under a screen & got stuck, leaving a wide open look.

Yep and one of them was a no doubter of an moving screen on #13 who took Alleyne out of the play by not keeping his spot.

Reaction Score
Obviously a lot of people are a bit down on Newton at the moment. I think my main issue with him, which possibly affects his play, is what appears to me to be an overall lackadaisical demeanor. He reminds of Dwight Howard in that respect. Like he seems like the type of dude whose team could be down 25 and he would be smirking and smiling while taking foul shots and just kinda goofing around. I just don't see a lot of fire there. But I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Context matters and we're not on the slopes. I'm assuming OP meant getting "downhill" as in getting towards the rim w/ the defense on their heels/off balance. It's like saying running "north/south instead of east/west" in football isn't literally speaking about directions on a compass.
I realize context matters. Just the fact that you need to say "I'm assuming" indicates to me that the phrase is confusing and not meaningful in a conversation about basketball.

If the poster had said attacking the rim with defense not set (or something like that) then there would be no uncertainty about what was being said.

Reaction Score
I realize context matters. Just the fact that you need to say "I'm assuming" indicates to me that the phrase is confusing and not meaningful in a conversation about basketball.

If the poster had said attacking the rim with defense not set (or something like that) then there would be no uncertainty about what was being said.
Noted. Think you're being pedantic even for the BY. I said that I was assuming as I wasn't the OP, and I'm not going to put words in his mouth - what he said wasn't confusing at all. I'm assuming, again, that he said downhill instead of that sentence you typed out because it got the same message across to 99% of posters on here in one word.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There seems to be a pattern to our seasons under Hurley. Play our best ball at the start of the season getting our biggest win(s) of the season. Get smacked in the mouth when we hit conference play, especially on the road. Regain our footing and start looking really good again at the end of the regular season and then flame out in postseason tournaments. I hope to hell it doesn't happen again but I fear it will. We need to win a couple NCAA tournament games this season.
Agreed. Numerous posters have said the same thing and get ridiculed. Perfect summed up.

Reaction Score
Obviously a lot of people are a bit down on Newton at the moment. I think my main issue with him, which possibly affects his play, is what appears to me to be an overall lackadaisical demeanor. He reminds of Dwight Howard in that respect. Like he seems like the type of dude whose team could be down 25 and he would be smirking and smiling while taking foul shots and just kinda goofing around. I just don't see a lot of fire there. But I could be wrong.
Newton was recruited for his size and ability to score. The difficult part is adjusting the mentality. He was the #1 option on a team which quite frankly wasn’t very good. Now he’s the #3 option at best on a team with ambitions to win a National Championship. With ECU, he could take more risk without consequences. This year, he often defers to other scoring options as a pass-first guard. This is not surprising based on his past experience. We need to adjust the mentality, but this one is not on the coaching staff. It’s on Tristen. He needs to step up.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Getting downhill is a well known basketball phrase. Why are you doing this? https://gprivate.com/62wg9

Reaction Score
Yeah, tough shots become easier when you can walk into the lane before starting your move

Let’s credit Marquette on their use of the backboard last night. Was it luck or skill? Who knows but it was a masterclass on shooting in the paint
i agree, also it’s tough to win on the road in every league, we gotta play better on the road regardless of the outcome of games. We have to eliminate these 5-6 min stretches that cost us the game

Reaction Score
Remember when I posted about how this team was missing elite point guard play but everybody yelled at me cause we had just beaten Alabama and ISU?

caw

Reaction Score
Didn't read this whole thread but just my opinion.

Marquette is the best team UConn has played in the BE. The first loss I didn't think the refs screwed UConn. Just a solid team making solid plays and executing a great game-plan. Not saying Marquette will beat PC or X and I know they lost at PC but they impressed me the most because they didn't get that home court reffing to the extent PC did/does.

They have flaws, but love the way they play. They came with a solid B+ to A game and UConn didn't.

Not to lambast Sanogo but he takes most of the blame here. He just can't take so long in his post game. Attack, or pass. Once he puts the ball on the floor, he couldn't afford as many dribbles against a quick double.

Still too many bad decisions by players, just silly T/Os.

The guards put zero pressure at the rim in the half-court. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed Jackson had the left baseline a few times and didn't even try to drive. Perhaps it was a trap, perhaps he has a bad first step, maybe it was not part of the game plan, or part of his game. I just don't know what to think of it but between him and Newton, one of them has to drive at some point. Even though he was blocked, at least Joey did drive once.

On a positive, Karaban driving was huge. Loved that one. Hope we can see it more. Clingan is a beast, but this was an ideal team to play against, non-shooting five.

Reaction Score
be very careful in a week at Seton Hall is no gimmie, I read a stat that Seton hall has played the toughest schedule in the country that is why they are 9-8. The way the team played on the road lately, nothing shocks me anymore.
called it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom