Marketing department email? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marketing department email?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A paid professional? Seriously? Do you even know what a paid professional maketing person does?

These threads are pathetic. Put a billboard up on the 95 now we have marketing?

Seriously, its like saying let's have a bake sale to make up the difference between the AAC and the B1G.

Making letters for the cheerleaders is very cool. Fun. I applaude you for it.

But don't pretend it solves anything.

You really aren't helping anything here either dude. Just saying. Fans care, and we want to see the program grow.

what jmoney pointed out is basic advertising. There are multiple aspects to marketing, and depending on who you talk to or read, you get essentially 4 (maybe 5) different approaches - to help reach a goal of some sort that is defined as marketing, and you can't actually market something, if you don't have some kind of goal - product/sales, or whatever that you need your target population to commit to investing in. Marketing - it's actually very much the same as recruiting. It's sales. You can't do sales, unless you can close the deal, and youcan't close the deal, if you can't get the customer through the door, and can't get the customer through the door, if you don't know who your customers are. IMNSHO, the marketing department at an athletic department has but one goal - ticket sales - and achieving 100% capacity ticket sales for your events.

Advertising, usually is the most costly aspect of marketing approach, with least actual tangible return on what you invest and advertise and intend to close a deal on. It's highly unlikely that a commuter on a Metro North train, will actually buy a ticket to an Army (or UCONN) football game, after seeing the paid advertisement (and 'paid' is the key word).

But while costly, with little actual return, investing in a strong advertising presence for your target population of whom you would like to complete some kind of sale, is a very, very important part of successful marketing.

The key questions - that IDK, a guy like me would like to know - is how much money is allocated for the marketing department budget, and how is that money being spent. Because aside from advertising (which usually is most costly, there are things like personal contact, publicity (different from advertising) and promotion that EACH should be approached specifically and indpendantly to your target population.

There are many times, when I wonder if we even have a specific target population identified that we want to sell tickets to, let alone well thought out, methods of generating sales in that target population.

Once again - winning - fixes everything, and so does developing group sales, corporate sponsorship type sales (Lew Perkins) because you can be incompetent at marketing to a large population of people with ticket sales, and still sell out, when you win enough and you can get enough big companies to invest in tax breaks.

Reaction Score
I actually just did a little thing I haven't done in a while. I googled 'UCONN football tickets.' Under the basic google ads the top site that came up was our direct ticket window (getting through the door in our ticket sales - means for the vast majority of people - getting them directly to a place where they can buy tickets through UCONN online, in as few clicks as possible)

With one click on the top site after that google search......I got this page:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/tickets/ticket-center.html

This isn't 1955, ticket sales at ticket windows aren't happening - people buy tickets online. We need to get our target population to the online ticket windows, as quickly, and easily, and in as many numbers as possible.

I can tell you that I know for a fact, that in years past, trying to get through the UConn website for ticket sales was an adventure that few people would actually make it all the way through. It's entirely possible to me, that the athletic department in the past year, as invested a lot of money in making things like this happen, so that we do show up at the top of any internet search, and a single click gets you to the ticket window, while having to make cuts on the advertising aspect.

My guess - is that would be the answer that you would get from Susie - Jmoney. Would love to know if I'm right or wrong.

So - just something else I"ve seen in improvement in the way things are happening at UCONN.

Change will not be overnight but it is happening, as far as how are athletic department is positioned for continued success, and we need to win on the field to help it along.

So everybody around here, that wants to promote UCONN football - send that ticket buying link I just posted to everybody you know. Get those people to the ticket window and close the deal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wait the sdhusky solution for UConn... just win the national championship... everything else is stupid.

I still fail to see how you think one precludes you from doing the other.

Reaction Score
Winning makes things a lot easier (and lazier) for ticket sales people, and basketball ticket sales is entirely different animal than football sales.

Reaction Score
A paid professional? Seriously? Do you even know what a paid professional maketing person does?

Seriously, its like saying let's have a bake sale to make up the difference between the AAC and the B1G.

If I was gonna pretend to solve anything ... I'd start by trying to extract that stick from your arse ... :D

Reaction Score
Yeah. And I took a piss in a bar the other day and there was Charger signs up.

Why have we allowed the Chargers to dominate the San Diego urinal market???

BTW, it takes more than watching Mad Men to understand marketing. And there is more to it than what color tie you wear.

Does it ever! I think what many of us are saying is that UCONN should find someone who does "understand marketing."

Reaction Score
She doesn't necessarily answer the emails. I can have one of her staff direct me to the right people.

Reaction Score

I have not one but two Uconn hats I wear. I'm like a walking billboard.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Does it ever! I think what many of us are saying is that UCONN should find someone who does "understand marketing."

And what makes you think the morons on here would even be able to tell if someone understands marketing?

Hint, that pro wouldn't be spending much time on bake sales, having the right color tie, twitter or even billboards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will. Just need to write something thoughtful. I've been invited to her box for the Maryland game along with some of the other NYC Chapter members. So at least SHE cares about NYC.
Oh so she invited you to her box, did she? cough, cough, snicker, giggle.

Well that was considerate of her. snicker, cough, cough,

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Wait the sdhusky solution for UConn... just win the national championship... everything else is stupid.

I still fail to see how you think one precludes you from doing the other.

Put on a bake sale with HFD.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Maybe we should make some prototype posters and send them to marketing. I know it's not our job but come on. Attach some posters we've seen from other schools, like the Army one, and ask what the heck is going on. Seriously, this is why it's frustrating to believe we're (UConn) doing all we can.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What kind of ROI do you expect for this poster project? How are you going to measure it?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Sdhusky's marketing:
- bake sales
- more cowbell

sdhusky

Reaction Score
You really aren't helping anything here either dude. Just saying.

If the suggestion that I don't live in the same fantasy world as you and HFD is supposed to be a rebuke, you missed the mark.

More like a compliment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While I don't think billboards do anything why would a real marketing person avoid Twitter. It's frigging free.

Reaction Score
Hint, that pro wouldn't be spending much time on bake sales, having the right color tie, twitter or even billboards.

Agree on all but Twitter... you absolutely, positively need to have an enhanced presence in that space.

Reaction Score
Oh so she invited you to her box, did she? cough, cough, snicker, giggle.

Well that was considerate of her. snicker, cough, cough,

Really? I thought it was such an obvious layup that seasoned pros such as yourself would have backed off lol.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Really? I thought it was such an obvious layup that seasoned pros such as yourself would have backed off lol.

I'm proud I started to make a related joke and cancelled.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I've noticed if you go to YouTube and do a simple "UConn football" search its near impossible to find season highlight videos of any kind

Reaction Score
I've noticed if you go to YouTube and do a simple "UConn football" search its near impossible to find season highlight videos of any kind

Hey Drew... Why don't you take it upon yourself and make some noise on campus about it, rally your classmates, write letters to the Editor of the Daily Campus, get the Student Government involved, etc... More can come from that angle than preaching to the choir for the most part here. Be part of the solution. We need insiders ;)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Hey Drew... Why don't you take it upon yourself and make some noise on campus about it, rally your classmates, write letters to the Editor of the Daily Campus, get the Student Government involved, etc... More can come from that angle than preaching to the choir for the most part here. Be part of the solution. We need insiders ;)

i did an interview last year regarding conference realignment for one of the writers for the DC, but it was posted to his personal blog (not sure about the DC)

here is the link http://www.seasonsover.com/10/post/2012/12/is-conference-realignment-killing-uconns-image.html

I've got 3 or 4 fraternity brothers who write for the DC so i'll see if I can get them writing stories and taking polls and things like that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You thought wrong, sir!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020