Marisa Moseley heading to Wisconsin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marisa Moseley heading to Wisconsin

Reaction Score
Some BY’ers consider Marisa’s move to WI a risk. I don’t. Jumping to a moribund program at a P5 conference has enormous upside. WI is a school that has had significant success in men’s sports and is looking to kickstart women’s sports as well. As some have suggested, the low bar for WBB at WI will allow Marisa the time to slowly build the program back to respectability.

I have to imagine that Marisa talked to Geno about the opportunity at WI. Who better to talk to about reviving a mediocre WBB program and turning it into a successful one. Assuming that Marisa gets the job done at WI she can either remain in Madison as the HC for a very long time, or perhaps have the opportunity to move on to a former powerhouse program looking to restore their program.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 programs in Knoxville and South Bend that just might be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.......

Instilling a new winning culture and attitude by itself can be worth a few wins a year. I think they can have at least 5-6 wins next year from 2 this year which is a step in the right direction.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Losing does effect the resume. Correct me if I am wrong but the previous coaches that lost have not gotten better jobs. I am happy for her because she is terrific but the hill is steep in front of her.

Reaction Score
Big risk. Hope she didn't jump at the first big contract without considering all factors. Likely much of this hire was based on her UConn experience since recruiting for BU and Patriot League much different than Wisconsin. She likely has few contacts in Mid West, a relatively thin women's basketball recruiting territory. Great school in beautiful setting but no history supporting women's basketball. If she can turn this school around, she can name her price anywhere.
the new transfer rules make any school that can sell itself to good transfers quickly respectable........

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
At her young age this is a tremendous opportunity for Marisa. A HC job at a P5 school with a bad track record is a formula for success if you can convince the school to give you at least 2-3 years to show progress. This is not an easy fix with the talent that is in the Big 10 now. She has to pick the right staff that can recruit as well has have the same tough standards that she obviously had at UConn. Her relationship with Geno and CD is important to help her with any obstacles she may encounter. Michigan, Indiana, and Iowa have shown that it can be done, and although the Big 10 may be the next super conference, those teams may help in the recruiting process. She can do this as long as the school has faith in her. We do.

Reaction Score
Look she thought it over and decided this is the situation she wants. She has a plan no doubt. This is a win-win situation. Expectations are low there. She will exceed them..wait and see.
I disagree that expectations are low. Last 2 coaches got 5 years and then were dumped. And again Lisa Stone got fired after going to the postseason 5 straight years and two straight years finishing third in conference.

AD (and former FB coach) Barry Alvarez don’t play around.

Reaction Score
Instilling a new winning culture and attitude by itself can be worth a few wins a year. I think they can have at least 5-6 wins next year from 2 this year which is a step in the right direction.
Illinois just had its best recruiting year. Penn st is coming up on Kiegers 3rd year and she just landed a ND transfer.
there is competition in the basement so a quick turnaround will be tough

that said Purdue and Minnesota are flailing so goal would be to overtake them

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Some BY’ers consider Marisa’s move to WI a risk. I don’t. Jumping to a moribund program at a P5 conference has enormous upside. WI is a school that has had significant success in men’s sports and is looking to kickstart women’s sports as well. As some have suggested, the low bar for WBB at WI will allow Marisa the time to slowly build the program back to respectability.

I have to imagine that Marisa talked to Geno about the opportunity at WI. Who better to talk to about reviving a mediocre WBB program and turning it into a successful one. Assuming that Marisa gets the job done at WI she can either remain in Madison as the HC for a very long time, or perhaps have the opportunity to move on to a former powerhouse program looking to restore their program.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 programs in Knoxville and South Bend that just might be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.......

I disagree that expectations are low. Last 2 coaches got 5 years and then were dumped. And again Lisa Stone got fired after going to the postseason 5 straight years and two straight years finishing third in conference.

AD (and former FB coach) Barry Alvarez don’t play around.

Old Dude: Friday greetings from northern NJ. Please note the red highlights. Barry Alvarez, as Vowelguy pointed out, does not mess around with his sports programs. And he's not kickstarting his women's programs:
  • They just won their 6th National Championship in Hockey (beating Northeastern)
  • Their vollyeball team is 11-0, playing in the B1G, perhaps the toughest V-ball league going (sorry Pac-12)
  • Women's Soccer is always tough and produced one of the U.S. National Team's superstars, Rose LaVelle.
  • Their Cross Country teams are always excellent, having won 15 B1G titles.

Alvarez hired Tsipsis to coach women's b-ball and Steve Granato to coach the men's hockey team. Granato's team is one of the favorites in this year's NCAA team. And Alvarez pulled the trigger a year earlier than most thought he would on JT. And Alvarez had ties to JT's former HD, one Muffet McGraw (Alvarez was defensive coordinator for Lou Holtz before taking the UW job).

Also, I'm a tad suprised to see the crack at the end of your comment. I actually like the signs of life that Kellie Harper is showing in Knoxville. I think that program is going to look more like a P5 Missouri State than Holly's Volunteers soon. We'll see it works. Niele wants to change the kind of players that come to ND, from those suited to the Princeton offense to those who can play multiple positions and attack (think Westbeld, Sonia Citron), orchestrated by a strong PG (think Ivey, think Miles). Let's give it another year before slotting Marisa into the role. Besides, you don't think AD Jack Swarbrick doesn't know where Megan Duffy is? Wiscosnin.

Reaction Score
Losing does effect the resume. Correct me if I am wrong but the previous coaches that lost have not gotten better jobs. I am happy for her because she is terrific but the hill is steep in front of her.
I believe Bobbi Kelsey is an assistant coach for the WNBA Sparks, you tell me if that is a better job than coaching Wisconsin and Tsipis was relieved of his duties at Wisconsin on March 9th. As I mentioned in a previous post, IMO this is a win-win for Marisa, Wisconsin are already dead last in the BIG 10.

Reaction Score
That is a much worse job.
Kelsey is a joke. Another reason to hate the Sparks.
Recently there was a news tweet with a Geno quote about something. She picked out that he said "guys", as in "our guys did a good job with ...", and actually responded "I thought they were women."
And when someone called her out on the stupidity of that, she responded with something like "was I talking to you" (even though she was on a PUBLIC forum).

If a regular fan wants to get into a semantic battle, fine. But for a failed coach to take on Geno over the use of "guys"?!? If that's her judgment, I'm not surprised she was a HC disaster.

I wonder if she calls it 'woman to woman" defense too.

Reaction Score
the new transfer rules make any school that can sell itself to good transfers quickly respectable........
the only "new" transfer rules of which I am aware apply only to this year. However with the flood of available graduate transfers created by 5th year eligibility, Marissa could immediately improve WI prospects. However Wisconsin carried 15 players on this year's roster, one was a graduate transfer and rest were Fr, So, or Jr. They also have signed 3 recruits for next year.

Reaction Score
the only "new" transfer rules of which I am aware apply only to this year. However with the flood of available graduate transfers created by 5th year eligibility, Marissa could immediately improve WI prospects. However Wisconsin carried 15 players on this year's roster, one was a graduate transfer and rest were Fr, So, or Jr. They also have signed 3 recruits for next year.
They have a projected roster of 17?! I assume there are some walk-ons?

Reaction Score
As to what will happen, the Magic 8 Ball says "time will tell."

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Big transfer pool + Ability to sell playing time + B1G tv exposure + Winning Coach with multiple rings = Perfect storm for Marisa!

Go Marisa! Go!

It's my opinion that many seniors and juniors who are not yet on the WNBA radar but quite good players will be looking for a place where they can get exposure and develop their talents. Especially those players who think they are in the wrong situation for a myriad of reasons. I think some pretty good players will gravitate towards Marisa in hopes of a hoop future. I don't know what her scholarship situation is but if she has 3 or four it could be a Coach of the Year scenario.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Old Dude: Friday greetings from northern NJ. Please note the red highlights. Barry Alvarez, as Vowelguy pointed out, does not mess around with his sports programs. And he's not kickstarting his women's programs:
  • They just won their 6th National Championship in Hockey (beating Northeastern)
  • Their vollyeball team is 11-0, playing in the B1G, perhaps the toughest V-ball league going (sorry Pac-12)
  • Women's Soccer is always tough and produced one of the U.S. National Team's superstars, Rose LaVelle.

Alvarez hired Tsipsis to coach women's b-ball and Steve Granato to coach the men's hockey team. Granato's team is one of the favorites in this year's NCAA team. And Alvarez pulled the trigger a year earlier than most thought he would on JT. And Alvarez had ties to JT's former HD, one Muffet McGraw (Alvarez was defensive coordinator for Lou Holtz before taking the UW job).

Also, I'm a tad suprised to see the crack at the end of your comment. I actually like the signs of life that Kellie Harper is showing in Knoxville. I think that program is going to look more like a P5 Missouri State than Holly's Volunteers soon. We'll see it works. Niele wants to change the kind of players that come to ND, from those suited to the Princeton offense to those who can play multiple positions and attack (think Westbeld, Sonia Citron), orchestrated by a strong PG (think Ivey, think Miles). Let's give it another year before slotting Marisa into the role. Besides, you don't think AD Jack Swarbrick doesn't know where Megan Duffy is? Wiscosnin.
I had known that WI Women’s hockey is a powerhouse and appreciate you educating me on the other successful women’s programs in Madison. I probably should have confined my “kickstart” reference to WBB.

As for my snarky comment about coaching changes in Knoxville or South Bend, all I can say is that old habits die hard. I actually believe both Harper & Ivey are good coaches. The challenge for both is recruiting.

As I’ve said in other posts, it only takes losing 1 or 2 top recruits each year to relegate a program to mediocrity. Right now there are worrisome recruiting trends for both the LV’s as well as the Irish.

Reaction Score
When Bobbi was here I asked her about Stanford. She basically laughed at me. Like she said you have to build up the confidence of players and get a beat down is not how it is done. Having said that, going up against cupcake schools in non-conference just to build up the record is not the way to do it either. Have recruits come in with UConn playing here will turn recruits off in my opinion. If I was a recruit at a school and had a visit when that school would be getting beat by 50 or 60 points would not impress me at all and would turn me off.
When UConn plays somewhere new it usually sets an attendance record where they're playing at. What Wisconsin has done for one is not filled up the arena

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I had known that WI Women’s hockey is a powerhouse and appreciate you educating me on the other successful women’s programs in Madison. I probably should have confined my “kickstart” reference to WBB.

As for my snarky comment about coaching changes in Knoxville or South Bend, all I can say is that old habits die hard. I actually believe both Harper & Ivey are good coaches. The challenge for both is recruiting.

As I’ve said in other posts, it only takes losing 1 or 2 top recruits each year to relegate a program to mediocrity. Right now there are worrisome recruiting trends for both the LV’s as well as the Irish.

My hometown -- Montclair, NJ -- sends a lot of kids to Wisconsin (Michigan, too), so I'm always hearing about their programs from parents.
And a few of my Domer friends have children there, as well. Alvarez is highly thought of; in part, because he takes no prisoners.

Recruiting wise on the ND front, Niele got who she wanted in 2021 but 2022 has been a washout so far. Let's hope things pick up. Tennessee's Harper picked up a nice 6'2" wing from the Jersey coast -- Justine Pissot -- who, as mentioned, is more of a Missouri State-type get, with mid- and long-range jumpers. Plus, Jersey kid in Knoxville?

Ousted Badger Coach Jonathan Tsipsis did very well at George Washington, in part because he got one superstar (Jonquel Jones) and a good supporting cast. A lot of that recruiting and development was done by now head coaches Megan Duffy (Marquette) and Diane Richardson (Towson State). When he was in Wisconsin, JT knew he had to reach local and regional high school and local AAU coaches and even hired Wisc. natives to help him with the task. Just seemed to be a slow haul hard get. I sensed he was in trouble when guard Niya Beverly transferred out to Penn State.

She'll have the support of Alvarez to do what she needs to do. He wants to win. But this won't be easy...look over at Minnesota.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Also, I'm a tad suprised to see the crack at the end of your comment. I actually like the signs of life that Kellie Harper is showing in Knoxville. I think that program is going to look more like a P5 Missouri State than Holly's Volunteers soon. We'll see it works. Niele wants to change the kind of players that come to ND, from those suited to the Princeton offense to those who can play multiple positions and attack (think Westbeld, Sonia Citron), orchestrated by a strong PG (think Ivey, think Miles). Let's give it another year before slotting Marisa into the role. Besides,

Not knowing the political side of things at ND, I'm surprised if she wasn't considered seriously for the job. IMO, if Duffy ever gets hold of some elite talent-look out. I think that girl can coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom