Marisa Moseley heading to Wisconsin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marisa Moseley heading to Wisconsin

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My hometown -- Montclair, NJ -- sends a lot of kids to Wisconsin (Michigan, too), so I'm always hearing about their programs from parents.
And a few of my Domer friends have children there, as well. Alvarez is highly thought out; in part, because he takes no prisoners.

Recruiting wise, Niele got who she wanted in 2021 but 2022 has been a washout so far. Let's hope things pick up. Harper picked up a nice wing from the Jersey coast -- Justine Pissot -- who, as mentioned, is more of a Missouri State-type get, with mid- and long-range jumpers. Plus, Jersey kid in Knoxville?

Jonathan Tsipsis did very well at George Washington, in part because he got one superstar (Jonquel Jones). A lot of that recruiting and development was done by now head coaches Megan Duffy (Marquette) and Diane Richardson (Towson State). When he was in Wisconsin, he knew he had to reach high school and local AAU coaches and even hired Wisc. natives to help him the task. Just seemed to be a hard get. I sensed he was in trouble when guard Niya Beverly transferred out to Penn State.

She'll have the support of Alvarez to do what she needs to do. He wants to win. But this won't be easy...look over at Minnesota.
Wasn’t Azzi on ND’s 2021 Wish List?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
the only "new" transfer rules of which I am aware apply only to this year. However with the flood of available graduate transfers created by 5th year eligibility, Marissa could immediately improve WI prospects. However Wisconsin carried 15 players on this year's roster, one was a graduate transfer and rest were Fr, So, or Jr. They also have signed 3 recruits for next year.
Pretty sure the 'no sit out year' for transfers is a done deal for all future years, which makes transferring a lot more attractive to kids who don't want to wait a year.

I believe we do not yet know how that will play out, but the 2021 transfer protal is already pretty full, and a lot of teams are still playing/had there last game recently. Teams are going to get crowded with some players spending an extra year - BYU for example has all of its seniors returning for another run. That could cause more transfers as well, and that will be an ongoing issue for three more years - the college careers for this year's freshman that still have 4 years of eligibility. The WNBA draft likely talent is unlikely to extend to their allowed 5 years, but that is only the top maybe 25 or less US college players.

And the feeling seems to be that some teams taking transfers are causing their recruited players to transfer - that is certainly the feeling at ND's McGraws Bench with three young and highly touted recruits in the transfer portal and three former transfers from ND now leading teams in the S16

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pretty sure the 'no sit out year' for transfers is a done deal for all future years, which makes transferring a lot more attractive to kids who don't want to wait a year.

I believe we do not yet know how that will play out, but the 2021 transfer protal is already pretty full, and a lot of teams are still playing/had there last game recently. Teams are going to get crowded with some players spending an extra year - BYU for example has all of its seniors returning for another run. That could cause more transfers as well, and that will be an ongoing issue for three more years - the college careers for this year's freshman that still have 4 years of eligibility. The WNBA draft likely talent is unlikely to extend to their allowed 5 years, but that is only the top maybe 25 or less US college players.

And the feeling seems to be that some teams taking transfers are causing their recruited players to transfer - that is certainly the feeling at ND's McGraws Bench with three young and highly touted recruits in the transfer portal and three former transfers from ND now leading teams in the S16
While I agree that the no sit out transfer rule along with the extra year of eligibility for anyone who wants it will make WBB unpredictable for the next few years, at least as far as BYU is concerned, having returning 5th year seniors is not all that unusual as BYU encourages their students to spend a year abroad on a mission during their time at BYU.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While I agree that the no sit out transfer rule along with the extra year of eligibility for anyone who wants it will make WBB unpredictable for the next few years, at least as far as BYU is concerned, having returning 5th year seniors is not all that unusual as BYU encourages their students to spend a year abroad on a mission during their time at BYU.
But 5th year eligibility is what these folks are using I understand. And BYU athletes are often not Mormons.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wasn’t Azzi on ND’s 2021 Wish List?

I'd say that's a "yeah" and then a "nah." Early on (well, that could be 8th grade with Azzi...), the answer is most certainly "yes." But the green breadcrumbs by Azzi's house and school, started disappearing at some point. We kept her on our recruiting report in case there was divine intervention, but that had as much chance as the Knicks winning the NBA East. ??

Reaction Score
Not sure you realize it and no attack but many here consider 40 as young. ;)
"Life does really begin at 40, up until then you are just doing research." -- Carl Jung....
No I get it. I was thinking of the age at which coaches like Pat, Geno, Kim, etc. took over their programs and were much younger. Without having hard data, I would guess probably most get their first big program opportunity around Marisa's age +/- a few years. If anything she probably spent a few years too many at UConn.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It's the ideal interim step. If she doesn't improve the program it won't tarnish her resume because other good coaches have tried to make them better and if she does improve it she gets a serious consideration for a better opportunity. It's always a good idea to take a job where the only option is to move up because any results shine brighter. Two or three years of improving the won lost and she is going for the big bucks
Yup, timing is everything. DO NOT follow a legend. Follow the person who followed the legend. Or, as in MM's case, follow the parade of those who fell short.

Reaction Score
Yay!!! Don't count her out as a potential successor!!!!
If Geno ever quits ? I can see Geno's brain in a jar wired to a monitor and speakers still coaching 50 years from now. ?

Reaction Score
The Boilermakers hired Marian University head coach Katie Gearlds on Thursday as an associate head coach for next season. Gearlds will succeed current head coach Sharon Versyp at season’s end and take the reigns of the program for the 2022-2023 season.

Wisconsin announced Friday the hiring of Boston University head coach and former UConn assistant coach Marisa Moseley. Moseley will attempt to right the ship in Madison after Wisconsin struck out with its last two coaching picks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just looked through the Wisconsin roster. They have a lot of players, and not a lot of talent - their best player has entered the transfer portal Imani Lewis who was ranked by prospect nation and blue star around 40. According to ESPN they have a verbal from a three star recruit for 2021, and their 2020 class of three was headlined by the 93 ranked 4 star recruit Halle Douglass. They also have a 2022 verbal from HG 48 ranked Jordana Cordo.

It is going to take some work.

Edit:
It was sort of an eye opener - fans of Uconn and SC and ND and Baylor and really most of the teams playing this weekend are living and dying on the news and decisions being broadcast by top recruits on whatever platform they choose. Looking at the Wisconsin roster is a different world. And you expect that with mid major teams, but your forget that it is true for P5 teams at the bottom of their conferences as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HopJim, does Marisa seem like the type of person who would jump at the first big contract? How long was she at UConn before she left for her alma mater? Marisa was at UConn from 2009-2018. Hardly someone who's just going to go after the first big contract. As bad as Wisconsin has been, the program can only go up.

Reaction Score
Big risk. Hope she didn't jump at the first big contract without considering all factors. Likely much of this hire was based on her UConn experience since recruiting for BU and Patriot League much different than Wisconsin. She likely has few contacts in Mid West, a relatively thin women's basketball recruiting territory. Great school in beautiful setting but no history supporting women's basketball. If she can turn this school around, she can name her price anywhere.
The lake is beautiful; I’ll give you that. The campus? Not so much.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Will Marisa keep the Wisconsin assistants, bring some from Boston, or do something else?

I’m predicting a new hire. Here’s part of the resume:

-Formerly ranked #1 high school player

-College All-American

-4x NCAA champion

-WNBA champion

-Looking for a career change.

I think that “Grandma Tuck” would be an awesome coach and recruiter. Plus, she’s from 150 miles south of Madison, so the Midwest is her territory.

Reaction Score
I think that “Grandma Tuck” would be an awesome coach and recruiter. Plus, she’s from 150 miles south of Madison, so the Midwest is her territory.
Tuck left the area ten years ago .... I think - don't know for sure - her family moved away the year she graduated fromm high school.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tuck left the area ten years ago .... I think - don't know for sure - her family moved away the year she graduated fromm high school.
Still, she would have a fair amount of familiarity with coaches and programs from her HS days. That can be a positive.

Reaction Score
It's a great choice for Wisconsin by hiring Marissa! With their history not so much for her! It's a wait and see situation for me. Congratulations and Good Luck!

Reaction Score
Some BY’ers consider Marisa’s move to WI a risk. I don’t. Jumping to a moribund program at a P5 conference has enormous upside. WI is a school that has had significant success in men’s sports and is looking to kickstart women’s sports as well. As some have suggested, the low bar for WBB at WI will allow Marisa the time to slowly build the program back to respectability.

I have to imagine that Marisa talked to Geno about the opportunity at WI. Who better to talk to about reviving a mediocre WBB program and turning it into a successful one. Assuming that Marisa gets the job done at WI she can either remain in Madison as the HC for a very long time, or perhaps have the opportunity to move on to a former powerhouse program looking to restore their program.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 programs in Knoxville and South Bend that just might be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.......
Agree with all you say. While any conversation with Geno is beneficial, recruiting has changed dramatically since Geno came to Storrs. My point was that there could have been better opportunities for Marisa out there with a track record of support from the school and administration. Likely these types of schools also would be on the bottom or would not be hiring. Both types of opportunities have risks so we have to assume she did her diligence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom