Marisa Moseley heading to Wisconsin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marisa Moseley heading to Wisconsin

Reaction Score
Last 20 seasons Wisconsin's B10 record: 102-236 (.302). A whopping 33 conference wins in the last 10 years. ?

Marisa's acumen + charisma + transfer portal should make it possible for her to raise the bar in Madison sooner rather than later.

Recruits/players of interest:

2023: Will Kamorea Arnold stay in state?
2022: Can Marisa leverage her post experience at UConn to snag PB's teammate Maya Nnaji?
2020: Maybe at some point #15 Donarski, #32 Kapinus, or #94 Hedman enter the transfer portal to "return closer to home"?

Congrats, Marisa!

Reaction Score
Trend developing with UConn-affiliated coaches following Tsipis?
No attack but the irony recognized, did not work out so well for Jen but this is a bigger leap.
.if she gets that program back to becoming a consistent 500 plus team she may be in serious consideration for a top job in the future.......
Or...... Just like Geno did here make it a top job and have no reason to move on. ;)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I really, really hope this works out for her and UW - being a Wisconsinite it has been sad to see how miserable this team has done. I had really hoped and expected that Lisa Stone would do better than turned out to be the case.

And greedily, once she's established, I also hope that Connecticut will play the Badgers now and then. Here's hoping that come Saturday night, the Huskies will have devoured the Hawkeyes and will have a taste for future Big Ten beatdowns!

Reaction Score
WOW is right. Big Congrats to Marisa!!!

She was an assistant there before so she has some idea of the landscape. Kudos to the AD and university for doing some serious homework.

Wishing her all the best.
She was not an assistant here. She was an assistant at Minnesota for 2 years.

Reaction Score
I just became a Univ. of Wisconsin WBB fan. They're getting a good one. She will breathe new life and energy into that program. It may take her a couple of years to rebuild it, but it will be done. If Jen Rizotti can't find a position she wants, maybe she would consider joining Marisa for a year to help her get that program going again under new leadership. Congrats to Marisa. She paid her dues at Boston Univ. She was finally able to walk the length of the rice paper without leaving any footprints. :)
We know some players who have entered the transfer portal but nobody knows the full list yet since teams are still playing in the NCAA Tourney. Who knows of those players in the transfer portal if any of them are players who she would be interested in. If there are any players she would be interested in, she could very well be in competition with other WBB programs who are looking at the same player(s). Then there is the hurdle if they have the grades to get into Wisconsin which has the toughest academic requirements of any school in the Big Ten. One would think that hopefully, she could get one maybe two players here, but only time will tell if this will pan out.

Reaction Score
WOW is right. Big Congrats to Marisa!!!

She was an assistant there before so she has some idea of the landscape. Kudos to the AD and university for doing some serious homework.

Wishing her all the best.
No, she was not an assistant here. She was an assistant at Minnesota for 2 years.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Geno and Marisa can get a Home and Home scheduled soon.
That is a long time away. She would only do that if she wants the team to get beat by 60 or more points. She has several years of building the program before that would happen if it would ever happen.

Reaction Score
No attack but the irony recognized, did not work out so well for Jen but this is a bigger leap.

Or...... Just like Geno did here make it a top job and have no reason to move on. ;)
If she is able to get the team to a 0.500 record and then stay at 0.500 or 0.600 for 3 or 4 years is not going to cut it. We went through that with Lisa and then she was released. Going to have to work up to WNIT and be consistently in the top 3 or 4 in the Big 10 and get into the NCAA's without going back to WNIT she will stay. But if we go to the NCAA and go back to WNIT and then go backwards, she'll be out. I want her to succeed here. Been way too many years of agony.

Reaction Score
Close enough for East Coast geography
Sorry but it isn't close. That's like me saying New York and it's New Jersey. Never get two neighboring states mixed up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is a long time away. She would only do that if she wants the team to get beat by 60 or more points. She has several years of building the program before that would happen if it would ever happen.
Even if it were a beat down, Uconn coming to town on a day with some recruits visiting and getting some local fans juiced might still be a positive. Not sure what fan attendance has been like, but Uconn usually pumps it up a lot when they are on the road. With Paige on the team you might get a lot of visitors from Minn as well.

Reaction Score
When Bobbi was here I asked her about Stanford. She basically laughed at me. Like she said you have to build up the confidence of players and get a beat down is not how it is done. Having said that, going up against cupcake schools in non-conference just to build up the record is not the way to do it either. Have recruits come in with UConn playing here will turn recruits off in my opinion. If I was a recruit at a school and had a visit when that school would be getting beat by 50 or 60 points would not impress me at all and would turn me off.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
We know some players who have entered the transfer portal but nobody knows the full list yet since teams are still playing in the NCAA Tourney. Who knows of those players in the transfer portal if any of them are players who she would be interested in. If there are any players she would be interested in, she could very well be in competition with other WBB programs who are looking at the same player(s). Then there is the hurdle if they have the grades to get into Wisconsin which has the toughest academic requirements of any school in the Big Ten. One would think that hopefully, she could get one maybe two players here, but only time will tell if this will pan out.
Interesting. I would have thought Northwestern. Wisconsin used to be a world-class public university. That was a few governors ago. Madison is said to be a great college town.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry but it isn't close. That's like me saying New York and it's New Jersey. Never get two neighboring states mixed up.

season 5 GIF by PBS

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big risk. Hope she didn't jump at the first big contract without considering all factors. Likely much of this hire was based on her UConn experience since recruiting for BU and Patriot League much different than Wisconsin. She likely has few contacts in Mid West, a relatively thin women's basketball recruiting territory. Great school in beautiful setting but no history supporting women's basketball. If she can turn this school around, she can name her price anywhere.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some BY’ers consider Marisa’s move to WI a risk. I don’t. Jumping to a moribund program at a P5 conference has enormous upside. WI is a school that has had significant success in men’s sports and is looking to kickstart women’s sports as well. As some have suggested, the low bar for WBB at WI will allow Marisa the time to slowly build the program back to respectability.

I have to imagine that Marisa talked to Geno about the opportunity at WI. Who better to talk to about reviving a mediocre WBB program and turning it into a successful one. Assuming that Marisa gets the job done at WI she can either remain in Madison as the HC for a very long time, or perhaps have the opportunity to move on to a former powerhouse program looking to restore their program.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 programs in Knoxville and South Bend that just might be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.......

Reaction Score
Big risk. Hope she didn't jump at the first big contract without considering all factors. Likely much of this hire was based on her UConn experience since recruiting for BU and Patriot League much different than Wisconsin. She likely has few contacts in Mid West, a relatively thin women's basketball recruiting territory. Great school in beautiful setting but no history supporting women's basketball. If she can turn this school around, she can name her price anywhere.
I don't see this as a big risk at all, I see this as a great opportunity for Marisa, IMO, she can only go up from where they are currently, dead last in conference. The last 10 years, their best year was the 2011-12 season, Bobbi Kelsey's first year finished tied at 9th in conference. Since then they have slipped to 11th/13th (Bobbi's tenure) and continued to slip further down, tied 11th/13th and culminating with 14th this season on Tsipis's watch.

Reaction Score
Some BY’ers consider Marisa’s move to WI a risk. I don’t. Jumping to a moribund program at a P5 conference has enormous upside. WI is a school that has had significant success in men’s sports and is looking to kickstart women’s sports as well. As some have suggested, the low bar for WBB at WI will allow Marisa the time to slowly build the program back to respectability.

I have to imagine that Marisa talked to Geno about the opportunity at WI. Who better to talk to about reviving a mediocre WBB program and turning it into a successful one. Assuming that Marisa gets the job done at WI she can either remain in Madison as the HC for a very long time, or perhaps have the opportunity to move on to a former powerhouse program looking to restore their program.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 programs in Knoxville and South Bend that just might be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years.......

Please no, I don't want to start rooting against Marisa.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She deserves it but it is a risky move. The program does not have a good history, in fact one of the worst in a loaded Big Ten. The league sent four teams to the Sweet Sixteen this year. No doubt she can coach but can she recruit in the midwest.
It's the ideal interim step. If she doesn't improve the program it won't tarnish her resume because other good coaches have tried to make them better and if she does improve it she gets a serious consideration for a better opportunity. It's always a good idea to take a job where the only option is to move up because any results shine brighter. Two or three years of improving the won lost and she is going for the big bucks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom