March 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

March 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've moved from Barker to Patterson. AP is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and more of a post presence while still having ball-handling and passing skills. Patterson has a chance to be a beast defensively too.
I have also reluctantly moved in this direction. My reluctance was mainly that I thought Barker would make for a better 3 (SF) than Patterson.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have also reluctantly moved in this direction. My reluctance was mainly that I thought Barker would make for a better 3 (SF) than Patterson.

I'm not sure it's that close a call for me at this point. I'm don't know what Barker does better and Patterson's upside is ridiculous. Plus, Patterson seems to play much harder going by film footage.

A Patterson/Brady combo would be ? though Stanford could still end up with Betts, Rice, and Gardiner. :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's that close a call for me at this point. I'm don't know what Barker does better and Patterson's upside is ridiculous. Plus, Patterson seems to play much harder going by film footage.

A Patterson/Brady combo would be ? though Stanford could still end up with Betts, Rice, and Gardiner. :eek:
I'd be overjoyed with either! I agree with the Patterson upside but her skill set would overlap greatly with Brady. Barker I envision as a dominant wing in the mold of Rhyne Howard that can create her own offense and facilitate for others. I think Patterson is more in the mold of a Napheesa Collier a dominat PF.

Reaction Score
My switch to Patterson was mainly my resignation that Barker may well wind up in a Ryne Howard situation. Patterson rotating with Edwards and Brady would be hazardous for the opposition but Barker surrounded by UConn talent would be electric. I’ll qualify this with my thinking that UConn will probably get neither.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
My switch to Patterson was mainly my resignation that Barker may well wind up in a Ryne Howard situation. Patterson rotating with Edwards and Brady would be hazardous for the opposition but Barker surrounded by UConn talent would be electric. I’ll qualify this with my thinking that UConn will probably get neither.

I like their chances better with AP.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/4

Aalyah Del Rosario: 25 points, 23 rebounds, 5 blocks, 3 assists

Del Rosario admitted she does not like to score and is more keen to get her teammates involved. But when she can play like does against University, she is hard to stop.

Fusik wants Del Rosario to be more selfish. It is something she is working on constantly and will need to continue to get better once she makes the transition to the college.

Reaction Score
I've moved from Barker to Patterson. AP is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and more of a post presence while still having ball-handling and passing skills. Patterson has a chance to be a beast defensively too.
Patterson is bigger than Barker ?
Patterson may be a touch more athletic but Barker has more range on her shot.

Reaction Score
I question Barker’s motor at times. At the Wootten Camp, she was settling for too many outside shots (that she wasn’t hitting) instead of trying to dominate inside.

Patterson seems more dominant and has a better motor.

I would be somewhat surprised if Barker left the south (South Carolina, Duke, Ole Miss).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Patterson is bigger than Barker ?
Patterson may be a touch more athletic but Barker has more range on her shot.

Both can make long shots but neither are efficient yet and both struggle from the foul line. There's some rawness to both of their games. But I'll take Patterson's low-post game and defensive potential over Barker's.

As for frames, Barker's skinny, Patterson is ripped.

Ecvw8K0WsAce0Ib.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/4

Paulina Paris: 23 points

This is what Paris' coach had to say about her on Wednesday (3/3):

A major difference is how dynamic and talented Paris is. She is living up to the hype of being the No. 41 prospect in the country in the class of 2022, according to ESPN.

Brown is soaking in every chance he gets to watch her play.

“Incredible. She really is,” Brown said. “She is way above her years in every level. She’s very bright, her IQ for basketball is incredible, and her vision. And she puts the skill behind it. She’s fun to coach.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
AAU game involving Paulina Paris from 2019 which is just after her freshmen year. Paris is #6 in White.

She ended up with 23 points on 7-10 FG, 4-7 on threes, 5-7 FT, and made two terrific baskets with her left hand in the second half.

Paris is 11-19 from three in the two AAU games of hers I've seen.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
nothing against Ms Ducharme who I believe will have a fine career at UConn but Ms Fudd may well be the best shooter in women's basketball.............and I don't mean just college basketball.........
"Ms Fudd may well be the best shooter in women's basketball"
Ah ha! So it is a maybe.........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
For entertainment and curiosity purposes only, I’m interested in knowing who the posters here that follow the recruiting game, would like to see at UConn in the fall if they could get any two they desired from the 2022 class. I initially referred to the 2021 class. We’re done with that class.
Before a couple of announcements it might have been Betts and Jackson. Currently I say Patterson and either Rice or Bradford. I am more and more impressed by Patterson, and her defense on the perimeter and rebounding ability convinces me she could be a good three position player. Could hold her own at C, although probably not needed there, is more of a natural PF (same as Ice), and on defense can guard wings.

I could see her mostly being more of a 3/4 and Ice being a 4/5, so while there is some overlap, they could play together too. Rice might be considered a big point guard with the ability to get her own mid-range shot, a debatable long range shooter, but versatile enough and big enough to play three positions. That gives her a decent chance at finding playing time even if there is no natural spot she just slips into.

Bradford appears to be more of a natural SG, but one who is very strong as does much of her scoring taking it to the basket and from mid-range. I presume she could be an undersized SF. Both Rice and Bradford bring the size, strength, and skill to take it to the basket from the guard or wing position. Those skills might be an alternative or compliment to the perimeter shooting we should have next year with Azzi, Carolyn, and Saylor on board, to go with Paige and Anna.

I get the impression we have a shot at Patterson and Bradford, and might be on Rice's short list, but I would be pretty surprised if she came here. If Rice wants to play the point (Paige and Nika) or go to a top academic school like Stanford, I suspect we are a long-shot there. All of these players could see a difficult road to playing time and go elsewhere as a result.

The next tier of possibilities in my opinion are relatively unimportant to Uconn's future. They may be fine prospects, with a bright futures somewhere, but with the projected loaded roster are likely third teamers here.
That would be players like Paulina Paris and Imani Lester. If significant players depart, they could be relevant, but we don't know that yet.

I would just concentrate on those top three. It is not a disaster if the 2022 class is just Ice, particularly coming off two sensational classes with few roster spots or minutes available. If they get one of those three it is a very good recruiting year under the circumstances, and two would be another top notch class, perhaps ranked number 1. We don't necessarily "need" any of those players, they are icing on the cake at this point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
3/4

Aalyah Del Rosario: 25 points, 23 rebounds, 5 blocks, 3 assists

Del Rosario admitted she does not like to score and is more keen to get her teammates involved. But when she can play like does against University, she is hard to stop.

Fusik wants Del Rosario to be more selfish. It is something she is working on constantly and will need to continue to get better once she makes the transition to the college.

Really like the beginning and the end of this article:

The beginning: "Del Rosario yelled at Brooks (her teammate) and demanded the ball."

The end: In the Dominican Republic they taught me how to be unselfish,” Del Rosario said. “I grew up like that, so now it’s a habit. When I go to college, I gotta change that.”

Aalyah come to UCONN and you will have an upperclassman (initials PB) to guide you who grew up the same way. For the goodness of her team PB had to learn to be selfish-somewhat.

Reaction Score
"Ms Fudd may well be the best shooter in women's basketball"
Ah ha! So it is a maybe.........:rolleyes:
yes I'd never say it with 100% certainty till she's proves it at the next levels......but from what we've seen for the past few years I'd say the odds are strong...........I made some predictions about the skinny blonde kid when others questioned whether she would start and that has worked out OK..............

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Both can make long shots but neither are efficient yet and both struggle from the foul line. There's some rawness to both of their games. But I'll take Patterson's low-post game and defensive potential over Barker's.

As for frames, Barker's skinny, Patterson is ripped.

Ecvw8K0WsAce0Ib.jpg
I don't follow the recruiting trail that much. What little I have learned about Patterson, she would be one of my two choices. What are the chances UConn can "wrest" her away from Indiana and Notre Dame?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just for kicks I'm going to say it again: We got Brady yes but I want Patterson AND Barker too. Yes I'm being greedy.
Me too. I'd give you 500 likes if I could! ;) She appears to be a s-t-u-d. She's BIG (6-2), has a tremendous motor, plays with a sense of urgency. She appears to already have a lot of the qualities you want in a PF/wing. How high is she on Geno's "want" list?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't follow the recruiting trail that much. What little I have learned about Patterson, she would be one of my two choices. What are the chances UConn can "wrest" her away from Indiana and Notre Dame?
Perhaps the same chances we wrestled Ice away from the west coast schools? UCONN is just different, especially when it comes to getting players to the WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom