Map of Highest Paid State Employees (Deadspin) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Map of Highest Paid State Employees (Deadspin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only thing you can offer is opinion, because even if you wanted me to go door to door to every home in America, we'd still argue over what defines household name.

At a minimum, any household that contains even a casual sports fan knows Geno. But we get it, you won't move off your position no matter what evidence to the contrary. You can be upstater 2.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
At a minimum, any household that contains even a casual sports fan knows Geno. But we get it, you won't move off your position no matter what evidence to the contrary. You can be upstater 2.

Nobody has provided any evidence to either side. Wtf are you taking about?

As I said 5 posts ago, its all opinion and semantics at the end of the day and can't be proven one way or another.

I just think some of you would be shocked getting outside of CT / UConn bubble in regards to women's hoops.

Can we end the notoriety debate though and focus on what's really important though? the fact that were playing a women's basketball coach and a retired men's basketball coach nearly $4 million a year?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Initial post:
Sorry, but take off the Connecticut and UConn colored glasses - Geno Aurriema is not a household name across America.

Most recent post:
Whether people know him, hasn't been my point. It's the money. It's always been about the money.

Um yeah... riiiiight.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Postscript: Here's a list of the top 11 highest paid by the State of Connecticut. Geno, who's been at UConn for 29 years and who's won 8 National Championships, makes $216,000 more than Pasqualoni. By the way, he raised $4.5 million for the new basketball practice facility from a couple that are boosters of the women's basketball team.

Reaction Score
Postscript: Here's a list of the top 11 highest paid by the State of Connecticut. Geno, who's been at UConn for 29 years and who's won 8 National Championships, makes $216,000 more than Pasqualoni.

These lists are misleading though because no general funds (state tax dollars) or tuition monies are used to provide any of the resources for these contracts (JC, GA or PP) whereas for example Malloy's salary is.

Reaction Score
These lists are misleading though because no general funds (state tax dollars) or tuition monies are used to provide any of the resources for these contracts (JC, GA or PP) whereas for example Malloy's salary is.

The whole AD though is subsidized by tax dollars, so it's hard to make his argument. I know each program is profitable but to the extent that they are all a part of a department which operates according to laws (title IX) then it's harder to make the argument that they are not supported by taxes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The whole AD though is subsidized by tax dollars, so it's hard to make his argument. I know each program is profitable but to the extent that they are all a part of a department which operates according to laws (title IX) then it's harder to make the argument that they are not supported by taxes.
Only peripherally. From this article from 2011:

The figures are compiled for the Equity in Athletics Data Report (EADA), which is compiled by the U.S. Department of Education to ensure compliance with Title IV. The method of accounting is slightly different, and there are no guidelines on how to report indirect income, but both the school's figures and the EADA report arrived at the same bottom line: a profit of $94,522 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2011.

"We're self-sufficient," said Mike Enright, athletic department spokesman. "We also support recreation, all the intramurals, for instance, in that total."

UConn's athletic department had a $63 million budget. During the 2010-11 academic year, UConn had one of the most successful programs in the country, with the football team going to the Fiesta Bowl, the men's basketball team winning the national championship, the women's team reaching the Final Four and the baseball team advancing to the NCAA Super Regional.

Included in that $63 million budget is $10.2 million, about 16 percent, for athletic scholarships, which the department pays to the school. UConn's athletic department cleared a profit of $126,000 for the year ending June 30, 2010, and $91,000 the previous year. "So we have been fairly consistent," Enright said.

Reaction Score
Only peripherally. From this article from 2011:

The figures are compiled for the Equity in Athletics Data Report (EADA), which is compiled by the U.S. Department of Education to ensure compliance with Title IV. The method of accounting is slightly different, and there are no guidelines on how to report indirect income, but both the school's figures and the EADA report arrived at the same bottom line: a profit of $94,522 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2011.

"We're self-sufficient," said Mike Enright, athletic department spokesman. "We also support recreation, all the intramurals, for instance, in that total."

UConn's athletic department had a $63 million budget. During the 2010-11 academic year, UConn had one of the most successful programs in the country, with the football team going to the Fiesta Bowl, the men's basketball team winning the national championship, the women's team reaching the Final Four and the baseball team advancing to the NCAA Super Regional.

Included in that $63 million budget is $10.2 million, about 16 percent, for athletic scholarships, which the department pays to the school. UConn's athletic department cleared a profit of $126,000 for the year ending June 30, 2010, and $91,000 the previous year. "So we have been fairly consistent," Enright said.

That doesn't take into account the school subsidy.

Reaction Score
The issue isn't Geno and women's basketball. The issue is the brutal reality of being left out of a major conference. This will be unsustainable long term and the more money we spend on football, the more time we will waste destroying our brand. Again, people, both on a national and local scale, UCONN is a hoops school. Our brand has and always will be built around two elite basketball programs. Either we join a major conference soon or else.............paging Nelson. Are you there Nelson?

And as Lew Perkins said back in the late '90s, UConn needs to invest heavily in football in order to protect the hoops brand both male and female. How true that has been. If UConn doesn't hurry up and get this football thing fixed, the hoops programs will recede (maybe glacier like) from their position of prominence. The major conferences are the future of big time college sports.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
One point with Geno is you aren't just competing against other women's coaches. He's so successful that I'm sure if we weren't paying him a premium he'd have been gone long ago. Some AD would have made a run at him for a men's program. This whole argument is moronic as far as Geno and Calhoun are concerned. They both make more for the University than they get paid. Cripes Geno was on 60 Minutes.

Reaction Score
And as Lew Perkins said back in the late '90s, UConn needs to invest heavily in football in order to protect the hoops brand both male and female. How true that has been. If UConn doesn't hurry up and get this football thing fixed, the hoops programs will recede (maybe glacier like) from their position of prominence. The major conferences are the future of big time college sports.

The football program is already well ahead of where most of us thought it would be a decade ago.

Sometimes, even the football program needs its accomplishments recorded. Back in 2004, if you had asked people if they would have been satisfied with:

1. Fiesta Bowl game against Oklahoma
2. Bowl victory against South Carolina
3. Win over Notre Dame at Notre Dame
4. Winning record against Pitt, Cuse and Louisville
5. Wins over 3 or 4 ACC teams (including a blowout against Virginia), wins over 2 SEC teams, 3 current B12 teams, 1 B1g team
6. At least 4 NFL draft picks in a single year twice (and many NFL draft picks over that time span)
7. Last but not least: 2 first place finishes in the BE

...most fans would have taken it in a heartbeat.

CL82

Reaction Score
Initial Second post:
Sorry, but take off the Connecticut and UConn colored glasses - Geno Aurriema is not a household name across America.

Most recent post:
Whether people know him, hasn't been my point. It's the money. It's always been about the money.

Um yeah... riiiiight.
Um yeah, check again d*ckhead. Post #9.

LOL, man your panties are in a bunch over this. Relax.

You can't reconcile those two statements. Geno does have huge name recognition. He has been enormously successful in his profession and he deserves to be compensated at the top of it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
LOL, man you panties are in a bunch over this. Relax.

You can't reconcile those two statements. Geno does have huge name recognition. He has been enormously successful in his profession and he deserves to be compensated at the top of it.

I made about a half a dozen posts in this thread before Geno's name recognition came up. Not sure why you have such a hard on in trying to misrepresent my stance here. It's just like some people can't have a rational discussion about the sport. Literally anything negative about.the short and you get portrayed as a sexist. Nowhere else in any sport does that happen.

After work today I should walk to Times Square and 100 random people if they know Geno. I'd personally be shocked if more than 10 knew him. Absolutely floored.

Derek Jeter, Jay-Z, Tom Cruise -shocked if at least 10 didn't know them. That's a big name. That's a household status.

CL82

Reaction Score
I made about a half a dozen posts in this thread before Geno's name recognition came up. Not sure why you have such a hard on in trying to misrepresent my stance here. It's just like some people can't have a rational discussion about the sport. Literally anything negative about.the short and you get portrayed as a sexist. Nowhere else in any sport does that happen.

After work today I should walk to Times Square and 100 random people if they know Geno. I'd personally be shocked if more than 10 knew him. Absolutely floored.

Derek Jeter, Jay-Z, Tom Cruise -shocked if at least 10 didn't know them. That's a big name. That's a household status.
Kind of hard to misrepresent someone by quoting them, don't you think?

FWIW, I didn't say that you were sexist, I said that your statement that Geno doesn't have huge name recognition was wrong. Feel free to ask around Time Square. I'd be interested in the response you get. Keep track of how many people ignore you. That would be interesting (and amusing) as well.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kind of hard to misrepresent someone by quoting them, don't you think?

FWIW, I didn't say that you were sexist, I said that your statement that Geno doesn't have huge name recognition was wrong. Feel free to ask around Time Square. I'd be interested in the response you get. Keep track of how many people ignore you. That would be interesting (and amusing) as well.

Let's just end this. I've wasted more time talking about a women's hoops coach than I would care to in a lifetime in this thread.

You're a good poster and a good UConn fan.

Agree to disagree?

Reaction Score

Just messing with you, but you'd be hard pressed to find 10 people that count English as their native tongue in Times Square. But I'd be happy to buy you a drink!

CL82

Reaction Score
Let's just end this. I've wasted more time talking about a women's hoops coach than I would care to in a lifetime in this thread.

You're a good poster and a good UConn fan.

Agree to disagree?
Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member