Map of Highest Paid State Employees (Deadspin) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Map of Highest Paid State Employees (Deadspin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but take off the Connecticut and UConn colored glasses - Geno Aurriema is not a household name across America.
You could not be more wrong on this. There are a lot of people who could not care less about woman's basketball, but I'd bet a good percentage of them have heard of Auriema. Phenomenal success gets noticed. The Geno/Pat feud got decent burn on ESPN and those UConn/Tenn games got decent ratings. Not merely decent for woman's basketball but decent for most sports. Add to that a being the US WBB Olympic coach, his penchant for generating attention and you've got a guy who is pretty visible and longevity. I'd bet that he has a better Q rating than most MBB coaches and more than a lot of football coaches.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You could not be more wrong on this. There are a lot of people who could not care less about woman's basketball, but I'd bet a good percentage of them have heard of Auriema. Phenomenal success gets noticed. The Geno/Pat feud got decent burn on ESPN and those UConn/Tenn games got decent ratings. Not merely decent for woman's basketball but decent for most sports. Add to that a being the US WBB Olympic coach, his penchant for generating attention and you've got a guy who is pretty visible and longevity. I'd bet that he has a better Q rating than most MBB coaches and more than a lot of football coaches.

This is pure semantics, so it's not even worth debating.

I truly think you overstate his reach.

Reaction Score
It's not even Geno, it's more so even Calhoun making what he does now as an advisor or whatever.bs title he has. Guess who will probably expect the same when they retire?

It's pretty outrageous. He better be bringing in a few million from NBA alums for the bball practice facility.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's pretty outrageous. He better be bringing in a few million from NBA alums for the bball practice facility.

How can you put a value on having someone in the AD's office that we know for a fact does not want to be in the AAC and will push for us to reach for B1Gger and better. With an all new administration I would worry about Stockholm syndrome setting in in Storrs. With JC there, not so much. Do you guys recall during the Syracuse game how desperate he was to get the mic and state that we don't be in the AAC more than a year? We know he was talking out his , but that this energy, passion you can't put a price on.

Also, hasn't he committed to donate his salary?

Reaction Score

Holy cow, do you even know what Calhoun's job is? He is actually working something. It's his job to bring money in.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I don't understand the following:

1M+ for Geno
1M+ for Calhoun who isn't even coaching anymore
1M+ for P
500k for Warde
200k for a new hockey coach

Why are wasting all this money on a women's basketball coach, a retired men's coach, an awful football coach, an AT BEST avg AD, and a Hockey coach.

That's all of our TV times two.

We need to put all of our resources into football. That's literally the only thing that's getting out of this mess.

Any dime not spent on football that's spent on another sport (besides Ollie) is a waste of our money.

I like Minnesota`s approach. Pay one guy for coaching Hoops AND football...

Reaction Score
Look, I don't give two ts about UCONN hockey and guess what? Neither do major conferences.

If that extra 200 thou prevents us from signing a better coordinator in football, then it is money wasted.

It's not even Geno, it's more so even Calhoun making what he does now as an advisor or whatever.bs title he has. Guess who will probably expect the same when they retire?

I just feel like money is being thrown around left and right and its like the AD can't see the only thing that's going to get us out of here is football.

If we spend big time money on the next staff and put up some top 25 seasons, it gives the big12 a reason to expand.

If we can't spend big because all of our money is tied up in a retired hoops coach, girls hopposs coach and a god damn hockey coach of all things, well that.pisses me off.
The B1G cares about hockey. In case you haven't realized it, we're trying to get up to a level that would interest the B1G so that someday the B1G - or someone else - will finally take us.

And save your breath about football. Warde is from the B1G. He IS a football guy. One way or another the university will be better off 12 months from now then it's current standing regarding our football coaching staff. Either due to a better performance by the new staff and new recruits, or a new face leading the program.

CL82

Reaction Score

Hardly, it's specifics. I get it, though, you don't like woman's basketball. That's fine but it doesn't mean that Geno is unknown to the rest of the world.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

For the 2010-2011 season, the women's team made a $3.8 million profit, a bit less than the men's team. Last summer, Geno was the coach of the gold medal winning U.S. Olympic Team and the name "UConn" was mentioned numerous times - on national tv - by the announcers. In a year that the men's team was robbed of its chance to play in the post-season, the women's team kept the UConn brand name front and center on ESPN and got a lot of free publicity for the school by winning an improbable championship.

Geno brings in millions with his profitable team and free publicity from keeping the University mentioned time and again in the media. I don't know how you deny him suitable recompense. And as for the rather condescending "where would he go?" comment, to quote the Connecticut Post, "An Ohio State intermediary contacted Auriemma to gauge his interest in the position and basically threw a blank check at him in an attempt to lure him to Columbus, Ohio. No formal offer was made".

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hardly, it's specifics. I get it, though, you don't like woman's basketball. That's fine but it doesn't mean that Geno is unknown to the rest of the world.

Specifics? Household name to me as far as sports are concerned, would my mother know them. Now, of course she does because she is an alum.

Does the average sports fan know Geno Auriemma, probably.
Does the average person know Geno Auriemma, no way in hell.

And please don't try to spin this as some vendetta against women's sports. Sure, i find the game beyond unwatchable, but I'm here calling out calhouns salary, hockey and warde.

Reaction Score
Does the average sports fan know Geno Auriemma, probably. Does the average person know Geno Auriemma, no way in hell.

So average Americans don't know who Geno is?
Lets test your theory. Lets commission a poll.
5 names randomly matched with 5 occupations.
Now match them up.

1 Geno Auriemma. ------------A US Congressman
2 John Beilein-----------------B Italian Inventor
3 Marco Rubio ----------------C US Senator
4 John Boehner---------------D Women's College Basketball Coach
5 Enrico Fermi----------------E Men's College Basketball Coach

Assume this was flashed on every scoreboard in every stadium or arena in America. (Folks who have a connection to sports.) Then pass it out at every Starbucks on a random Tuesday. (Generally a non-sports type crowd) Who would be the person with the highest recognition? Least? What percent of each group of test takers would get Geno correct?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So average Americans don't know who Geno is?
Lets test your theory. Lets commission a poll.
5 names randomly matched with 5 occupations.
Now match them up.

1 Geno Auriemma. ------------A US Congressman
2 John Beilein-----------------B Italian Inventor
3 Marco Rubio ----------------C US Senator
4 John Boehner---------------D Women's College Basketball Coach
5 Enrico Fermi----------------E Men's College Basketball Coach

Assume this was flashed on every scoreboard in every stadium or arena in America. (Folks who have a connection to sports.) Then pass it out at every Starbucks on a random Tuesday. (Generally a non-sports type crowd) Who would be the person with the highest recognition? Least? What percent of each group of test takers would get Geno correct?

That quite literally may be the most moronic thing I've ever seen.

I don't even know how to respond to it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask - I rescind my $1 offer... I know offer $10 for you to wander over to the WBB forum for civil discourse :)

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/ot-with-fans-like-these-who-needs-backside-injections.39094/
I love how people on this site are slated into specific categories of posters/boards and not allowed to be seen as just UConn fans. While I disagree with ConnHuskBask's posts, I find it hilarious that in that thread they just basically called him a moron who just posts on CR crap. Last I checked, many folks here post on many boards and follow all UConn sports. Hilarious none-the-less.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Geno's Sold out leadership conference. Lots of people know and care who he is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't agree with you on the overall thread, but I think it is clear that there is nobody on earth associated with women playing basketball that is a "household name". He's great, glad we have him and I think they need to pay a guy who brings home 8 NCs. But they paid him too much.

I can't fathom anyone complaining about 200k for a hockey coach when we're joining the best league in the country. Money very well spent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I knew this would turn into some women's basketball hating thread even when I specifically said I find it outrageous UConn is still paying Calhoun what they are (especially given that Geno will demand the same).

My overall point is that UConn in the very near future is going to be strapped financially.

Seeing as how improving football is our only ticket out of the AAC, I don't think we can just throw money around and overpay in sports, that quite frankly have no bearing on our future.

If we're spending more on a women's basketball coach than SEC teams are spending on football coaches that illustrates my frustrations.

Reaction Score
I knew this would turn into some women's basketball hating thread even when I specifically said I find it outrageous UConn is still paying Calhoun what they are (especially given that Geno will demand the same).

My overall point is that UConn in the very near future is going to be strapped financially.

Seeing as how improving football is our only ticket out of the AAC, I don't think we can just throw money around and overpay in sports, that quite frankly have no bearing on our future.

If we're spending more on a women's basketball coach than SEC teams are spending on football coaches that illustrates my frustrations.

Without Geno revenue does down. No question. So unless you really think you could have had him for 1M less a year I'm not sure what the solution is. If you let him walk you are saying you don't take sports seriously. If I was a football coach and Geno just got dumped over money I would think Uconn is serious?

Reaction Score
That quite literally may be the most moronic thing I've ever seen.
LOL---so that's really the most moronic thing you've ever seen? Try it. It might confirm (or shock you) that Geno is the most well known of the bunch. I had my wife send it to her email list of friends who live all over, some in CA, HI, IL, NE KY, NV and TX.--and while it may be a measure of their general apathy toward politics--Geno Auriemma was the most recognizable name on the list. A total of 17 people responded and only 2 got Geno wrong. 15 picked him as the WBBall coach. 12 mixed up Beileine and Boehner. 3 had Rubio as the MBball coach. That may qualify as the most moronic.

CL82

Reaction Score
Specifics? Household name to me as far as sports are concerned, would my mother know them. Now, of course she does because she is an alum.

Does the average sports fan know Geno Auriemma, probably.
Does the average person know Geno Auriemma, no way in hell.

And please don't try to spin this as some vendetta against women's sports. Sure, i find the game beyond unwatchable, but I'm here calling out calhouns salary, hockey and warde.
So the only thing you offered, other than your own opinion, was your mom's opinion...and even she knows Geno. Lol, not much of an argument.

Not a big deal to me one way or the other, but I think you are grossly understating the guy's name recognition.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So the only thing you offered, other than your own opinion, was your mom's opinion...and even she knows Geno. Lol, not much of an argument.

Not a big deal to me one way or the other, but I think you are grossly understating the guy's name recognition.

The only thing you can offer is opinion, because even if you wanted me to go door to door to every home in America, we'd still argue over what defines household name.

Should i provide a conclusive scientific study like the nostical provided. btw, shocking the average American doesn't know an Italian inventor that's not Da Vinci...

Whether people know him, hasn't been my point. It's the money. It's always been about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom