Map of Highest Paid State Employees (Deadspin) | The Boneyard

Map of Highest Paid State Employees (Deadspin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
kbigpicv.png

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your-states-highest-paid-employee-a-co-489635228

Is anyone else slightly embarrassed by Connecticut being the only state labeled "Women's Basketball Coach"? I mean, Geno has earned every penny and deserves it, but it still rubs me the wrong way. This map probably says a lot about how UConn is perceived nationally.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Before Calhoun retired it wouldn't have said that. So this is a temporary thing.
"Temporary" as in the foreseeable future until: 1.) Ollie wins a national title and gets a massive extension or 2.) Coach P gets canned and UConn decides to make a big splash with a big name coach.

Reaction Score
Florida = basketball coach, who would thunk it?

Reaction Score
This is certainly post Calhoun. Truth is, Geno and his program are women's college basketball. Without them, there would be no buzz, tv exposure, or national attention. Geno is the godfather of womens college hoops.

Reaction Score
I would not totally trust that map. For NY anyway.

The CEO of the Nanoscale Institute in Albany makes $1.3m (based on his % of bringing in $250 million in corporate money).

The chairman of the Med. School the map references makes $700k.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't understand the following:

1M+ for Geno
1M+ for Calhoun who isn't even coaching anymore
1M+ for P
500k for Warde
200k for a new hockey coach

Why are wasting all this money on a women's basketball coach, a retired men's coach, an awful football coach, an AT BEST avg AD, and a Hockey coach.

That's all of our TV times two.

We need to put all of our resources into football. That's literally the only thing that's getting out of this mess.

Any dime not spent on football that's spent on another sport (besides Ollie) is a waste of our money.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I'm not embarrassed by it. In fact, I'm proud of it. Womens's basketball sets the stage fi
Or all other states. It promotes equality between the sexes. In a lot of ways, it's better to watch, if you like TEAM sports than men's or NBA. And we are not at the point, nor likely will we ever be, where football dominates. I think it's great.

Reaction Score

1M+ for Geno
1M+ for P
500k for Warde

Why are wasting all this money on a women's basketball coach, a retired men's coach, an awful football coach, an AT BEST avg AD, and a Hockey coach.

We need to put all of our resources into football. That's literally the only thing that's getting out of this mess.

Any dime not spent on football that's spent on another sport (besides Ollie) is a waste of our money.

How much money does women's bball make a year? SNY's contract alone? Tix sales?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How much money does women's bball make a year? SNY's contract alone? Tix sales?

It used to make a little over $1M? Now, I believe the women's hoops rights belong to the AAC/ESPN.

Point being, we're paying a women's basketball coach nearly $2.5M/year by the end of his contract. That's just absurd.

I'm not saying Geno hasn't earned a fair contract, but no other school in the country would have offered half the amount. Also, where is Geno going to go at this point? It's not like it was a bidding war.

Reaction Score
It used to make a little over $1M? Now, I believe the women's hoops rights belong to the AAC/ESPN.

Point being, we're paying a women's basketball coach nearly $2.5M/year by the end of his contract. That's just absurd.

I'm not saying Geno hasn't earned a fair contract, but no other school in the country would have offered half the amount. Also, where is Geno going to go at this point? It's not like it was a bidding war.

Give ya $1.00 to take your argument over to the WBB forum - I'm sure they will be happy to help you understand ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm not saying Geno hasn't earned a fair contract, but no other school in the country would have offered half the amount. Also, where is Geno going to go at this point? ....
Into retirement. Geno earned his $$. It's P's million that is a waste.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Into retirement. Geno earned his . It's P's million that is a waste.

SEC Football coaches will be making the same money as Geno. That's just madness.

Being a newcomer and in the AAC we're going to have to grossly over pay for our next head coach. It just bothers me so much that we with our low revenue stream, we are wasting $2.4M on women's basketball.
http://tinyurl.com/brf5gqrTop 25 Highest Paid College Football coaches:
http://tinyurl.com/brf5gqr

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to see us try to lowball the best Women's BB Coach in the country after all he's done because where is Geno going to go at this point? .... Ending our relationship on that note would be just great for the reputation of the AD and the University. You build on greatness, not flush it down the toilet.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to see us try to lowball the best Women's BB Coach in the country after all he's done because where is Geno going to go at this point? .... Ending our relationship on that note would be just great for the reputation of the AD and the University. You build on greatness, not flush it down the toilet.

To be honest, showing up on that list with a women's basketball coach just further cements the national perception that UConn doesn't care about college football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
SEC Football coaches will be making the same money as Geno. That's just madness.

Being a newcomer and in the AAC we're going to have to grossly over pay for our next head coach. It just bothers me so much that we with our low revenue stream, we are wasting $2.4M on women's basketball.
Top 25 Highest Paid College Football coaches:
[URL='http://tinyurl.com/brf5gqr[/quote]Well']http://tinyurl.com/brf5gqr[/URL]
Well we are half way there, we our overpaying our existing coach.

I have no problem with rewarding success.

22. Charlie Weis, Kansas, Big 12, $2,500,000, really which two and half million is better spent?

Reaction Score

Top 25 Highest Paid College Football coaches:
http://tinyurl.com/brf5gqr
The issue isn't Geno and women's basketball. The issue is the brutal reality of being left out of a major conference. This will be unsustainable long term and the more money we spend on football, the more time we will waste destroying our brand. Again, people, both on a national and local scale, UCONN is a hoops school. Our brand has and always will be built around two elite basketball programs. Either we join a major conference soon or else.............paging Nelson. Are you there Nelson?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If Deadspin had released this map on November 20, 2012 -- the day Rutgers announced it was joining the B1G -- the highest paid state employee in New Jersey would have been C. Vivian Stringer, Rutgers Women's Basketball Coach. Maybe the B1G would've reconsidered its invitation to Rutgers. Stringer has yet to win a national championship.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

1M+ for Geno
1M+ for P
500k for Warde

Geno is overpaid, but should be the highest paid women's coach. $200k for hockey is a waste? Are you nuts? We need to invest in hockey. We already shelled out a pant-load of money for the football practice facility. Throwing money at football won't change the reality. If P fails again this year, I think you'll see a money shift to the replacement, but the reality is that the assistants in football also make a lot. Football is both our lifeline and the biggest drag on the department financially.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Look, I don't give two ts about UCONN hockey and guess what? Neither do major conferences.

If that extra 200 thou prevents us from signing a better coordinator in football, then it is money wasted.

It's not even Geno, it's more so even Calhoun making what he does now as an advisor or whatever.bs title he has. Guess who will probably expect the same when they retire?

I just feel like money is being thrown around left and right and its like the AD can't see the only thing that's going to get us out of here is football.

If we spend big time money on the next staff and put up some top 25 seasons, it gives the big12 a reason to expand.

If we can't spend big because all of our money is tied up in a retired hoops coach, girls hopposs coach and a god damn hockey coach of all things, well that.pisses me off.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is anyone else slightly embarrassed by Connecticut being the only state labeled "Women's Basketball Coach"? I mean, Geno has earned every penny and deserves it, but it still rubs me the wrong way. This map probably says a lot about how UConn is perceived nationally.

I think it says more about you. You know the story behind the numbers. Why would this rub you the wrong way? Geno is a not just the GOAT coach in his sport, he's a household name.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think it says more about you. You know the story behind the numbers. Why would this rub you the wrong way? Geno is a not just the GOAT coach in his sport, he's a household name.

Sorry, but take off the Connecticut and UConn colored glasses - Geno Aurriema is not a household name across America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom