MAL commits to UConn! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

MAL commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't he the all time assist leader?

Does that make him better than Bazz, Kemba, KEA, AJ, Doron or anyone based on one number? Is there a chance he is also the all time TO leader? I don't know just asking.

Reaction Score
I don't get how you can have 3300 posts on the message board of a team that has sent tons of players to the draft and still have zero clue how the draft works.
Believe me I get that teams take flyers on players that are not NBA ready. So that's good for Jalen's career? His earnings as a pro? Leave after 2 years and maybe it works? The premiss was Jalen could leave after 2 and I think it's very very unlikely. I hope he's a 4 year player for us.

Reaction Score
Taliek was a good point guard on a stacked team. Kemba, Bazz, El-Amin, Chris Smith, AJ, Marcus Williams, Boat, Sheffer, Tate and Jalen were all clearly better. Taliek is just outside the top 10 with Ollie and Ricky Moore.

Reaction Score
Believe me I get that teams take flyers on players that are not NBA ready. So that's good for Jalen's career? His earnings as a pro? Leave after 2 years and maybe it works? The premiss was Jalen could leave after 2 and I think it's very very unlikely. I hope he's a 4 year player for us.

Lol, why are you pretending that you're posting with Jalen's best interests in mind? Jalen developing into a first round draft pick soon(he won't be a first rounder as a 23 turning 24 year old senior in 2018-2019) is a good thing for both him and the program, UConn's top 100 talent developing into first round picks before their eligibility is up is how you continue to attract more high end talent to the program, I will never understand how some of you dudes are so against this.

Reaction Score
Taliek was a good point guard on a stacked team. Kemba, Bazz, El-Amin, Chris Smith, AJ, Marcus Williams, Boat, Sheffer, Tate and Jalen were all clearly better. Taliek is just outside the top 10 with Ollie and Ricky Moore.

I agree, and I'd put Taliek pretty definitively behind Ollie as well, at least when it comes to what the guys were at their peaks.

Oddly, though, if you replace him on that '04 team with somebody like Marcus Williams, I'm not sure they win the championship. Take Taliek off that team and perimeter defense would have been a major problem.

Does he get overrated by some people? Probably. If I'm starting a team I'm probably taking guys like Giffey and Kromah ahead of him.

Reaction Score
Lol, why are you pretending that you're posting with Jalen's best interests in mind? Jalen developing into a first round draft pick soon(he won't be a first rounder as a 23 turning 24 year old senior in 2018-2019) is a good thing for both him and the program, UConn's top 100 talent developing into first round picks before their eligibility is up is how you continue to attract more high end talent to the program, I will never understand how some of you dudes are so against this.
Ray and Rip were juniors.

Reaction Score
Yea and? Based on your posting you probably were upset that they left and as its been pointed out to you already, they played in a different era, no way in hell does Ray put in 3 years in the 2010s and its very unlikely Rip would have seeing as he was almost out the door in 98.

Reaction Score
I agree, and I'd put Taliek pretty definitively behind Ollie as well, at least when it comes to what the guys were at their peaks.

Oddly, though, if you replace him on that '04 team with somebody like Marcus Williams, I'm not sure they win the championship. Take Taliek off that team and perimeter defense would have been a major problem.

Does he get overrated by some people? Probably. If I'm starting a team I'm probably taking guys like Giffey and Kromah ahead of him.

I'm glad you are not starting my team. LOL

Reaction Score
Again, your whole invented narrative where a player is either the best college player in the country, or a non NBA ready player that a team is taking a flyer on, with no options in between, is just so bizarre.

Reaction Score
I thought it was pretty clear that his 23/24 year old senior comment was a response to you saying you hoped Jalen was a 4 year player for us.

You are correct though, Rip and Ray were juniors. You're now up to 1 accurate comment in this thread.

Reaction Score
I thought it was pretty clear that his 23/24 year old senior comment was a response to you saying you hoped Jalen was a 4 year player for us.

You are correct though, Rip and Ray were juniors. You're now up to 1 accurate comment in this thread.
Jalen was 7,2,2 last year 27% from 3 in a crap conference. He's 6'1 170 and if he's anything in the NBA he will have to be a point guard. So look at last year's NBA draft and tell me where he fits in today's NBA draft? Dunn 6'4' played 4 years, developed and went 5th. Murray was 17th 16,4,4 and is big as a pg. Now I love the kid and hope he improves a lot but I'm not very worried that he's bolting for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Jalen was 7,2,2 last year 27% from 3 in a crap conference. He's 6'1 170 and if he's anything in the NBA he will have to be a point guard. So look at last year's NBA draft and tell me where he fits in today's NBA draft? Dunn 6'4' played 4 years, developed and went 5th. Murray was 17th 16,4,4 and is big as a pg. Now I love the kid and hope he improves a lot but I'm not very worried that he's bolting for the NBA.
No one is really saying he's likely to go. People are just noting how ridiculous your belief is that he would need to have a junior year Ray, Rip, or Kemba type season in order to be a first round selection.

Reaction Score

When several people disagree with you and no one agrees with you - you are either wrong, or just smarter than everyone else. What do you think is more likely?

You don't consider measurables at all. Jalen has good size for the position, with long arms and great athleticism. The idea that he would need an All American type season to get drafted in the first round is silly. You don't seem to understand how the NBA works.

Reaction Score
When several people disagree with you and no one agrees with you - you are either wrong, or just smarter than everyone else. What do you think is more likely?

You don't consider measurables at all. Jalen has good size for the position, with long arms and great athleticism. The idea that he would need an All American type season to get drafted in the first round is silly. You don't seem to understand how the NBA works.
Let's talk again on draft day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd want to think about Marcus and AJ, not sure that I'd put Tate above Taliek. Too soon for Jalen, but I think that he'll get there.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm just gonna chime in to hopefully ease this tension, but it's the BY so that probably is pointless...

I definitely agree with everyone that his comment about having a basically historic year isn't accurate...but I think he may have been making the general point that with the given situation, unless Jalen has that transcendent year, it wouldn't be typical nor smart for him to leave. I agree with that.

I think essentially, people get caught in the details of some posts, and sometimes the general point gets lost in the shuffle.

He wasn't saying JA would never or could never or should never leave unless he has that insane, transcendent year. He could still even be a 1st rounder. He was more saying at this exact moment, that's the best case scenario of him bolting this year...that would be great for him, his legacy, our program, his finances, etc. And it would make sense to everyone involved, including us fans.

Can he make a small leap, ala Kemba/Ray soph yr, still get drafted 1st round, still have everything work out? Sure... But the point was more like "he shouldn't / wouldn't leave without having that insane year and being a top 5 lock, if we're predicting right this second."

And again, the things jibs said to back that up, if everything isn't taken so extremely literally, are mostly right. His situation in general doesn't lend itself to him leaving next yr unless many things really click.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
And as a PS, I think Taliek has been improperly and difficult to rate his whole life and career, but he was a great floor general for us and for that team.

His shooting was brutal so he didn't personally take over games, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great. Individually, guys like Kemba and Bazz did things he couldn't dream of, but that's not to say the reverse couldn't be true as well. He was a top notch pure PG no matter what, and for that team he was PERFECT.

Reaction Score
I think he may have been making the general point that with the given situation, unless Jalen has that transcendent year, it wouldn't be typical nor smart for him to leave. I agree with that.
If he is a solid first round draft pick it would be smart of him to go, and it would be great for us and our recruiting. He does not need to have a transcendent year in order to achieve this.

He wasn't saying JA would never or could never or should never leave unless he has that insane, transcendent year.
No, that is exactly what he is saying. Here is his quote.

"In order for Jalen to realistically leave after this his second year he would need to dominate against major competition which means he would be equal or better than Kemba Walker, Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton after their 3rd years."

Reaction Score

When you exaggerate, it makes your point seem less valid, even when you may have a decent argument. Do I truly think he will go to the NBA? No. But you are bound to get flack when you use a crass tone, under-exaggerate to help your case, etc.

Jalen Adams is listed at 6'3 195lbs on the roster. Draftexpress has him at 6'2 191 in 2014. No he is not 6'1 170 under any circumstances. Look at this kid--NOTHING about him looks 170 lbs. He has an NBA point guards body and athleticism. His wing span was 6'6.5 in 2014 so he may be a little longer now. He is an excellent athlete: his first step is extraordinary going to his right, and he can elevate quite well. Because of these attributes, less eye-popping stats could get him into the first round, unlike someone like Boatright or Napier who had limited tangibles.

He also averaged 7.3/2.6/2.4. a) technically you should say 7/3/2. This is minutiae but it contributes to people not receiving you well. Similarly, it is completely foolish to ignore how he played towards the end of the season, and to refuse to acknowledge the stats that he has performed well in. For example, his 2pt% is 46%. TO 1.7/game and 87% FT%, which to an NBA scout shows shooting potential--he can make shots. This was also all in 23 minutes. 36 minute potential is of concern to the NBA.

Now let's look at the last 10 games to make the math easy, because he showed quite a bit of growth since day 1.
PTS: 10
REB: 3.2
AST: 3.4
TO: 1.8
Stl: 1.1
Blk: .6
Pf: 2.2

FT/G: 2.0
FT% : 95%
3P/G: .55
3P%: 64%
2P% (something like 35% on 4.5 shots... I lost track counting)

Interesting is that it's a pretty big reversal from earlier in the year. He shot from 3 well, albeit infrequently, but struggled from two because defenders were sagging. Yet when he gets fouled he is an ELITE shooter from the line. We have to get this kid in the lane finishing hard and consistently so. If he can hit 3s consistently, it will open up the drive for him more to score or make it on the line. This was actually pretty interesting to learn, so in a way I'm glad you annoyed me.

Does he need to shoot better? Yes.
Does he need to learn to layup on the left? Yes.
Is he improving as a leader and distributor? Yes.

Is it a "threat" he goes to the NBA? Absolutely. Is it likely, no, but you're a fool for suggesting it is THAT unlikely. Especially in the way you did.

Reaction Score
You should just drop it, you're not doing well in this thread.

Reaction Score

Terry Rozier's sophomore year he averaged 17pts, 5reb and 3 assists, then was taken 16th overall by the Celtics. I think Jalen profiles similarly in terms of athleticism and shooting ability. I doubt he averages 17pts next year, but I think 14/15 is within the realm of reasonable possibility with more than 3 assists per game. That could very well be enough to make him a mid-first round pick.

The crap conference point is intellectually dishonest, particularly in the same paragraph that you compare Jalen to Kris Dunn. No NBA scout is going to downgrade a prospect because they play at UConn, particularly given the overall strength of our schedule. Also, multiple non-P5 players go in the lottery every single year.

Reaction Score
I'd want to think about Marcus and AJ, not sure that I'd put Tate above Taliek. Too soon for Jalen, but I think that he'll get there.
Come on, Marcus and AJ were far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69